• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

NinjaBoiX

I just reread the OP, I missed the part about how we accept this for phones.

What exactly are you suggesting? We have phones that take AAA batteries as a “step forward”?

You’re on another planet mate…😂

odhiex

This has never been a problem for me since the PS3 days, cause I always have multiple controllers for each console.

Swapping between the controllers have never been a chore. Even more reasons for me to buy new controller if one has died lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can change the Dualsense battery within 5 minutes. How the fuck is this anti consumer?? It's not like the glued Smartphone garbage.
That’s a big plus it’s not glued like batteries are now. At least it’s sold plastic container with a plug.
Still, no official replacements but at least someone is making them

Crayon

When a controller is that old it can usually benefit from being taken apart anyhow. I had to take apart my PS3 controllers just to clean them before the battery ever died.

I think the are finally dead tho. I tried to charge one like two weeks ago and no lights. Going to ebay..... Okay I'm back. I have a pair on the way for $13 shipped.

I understand some people don't want to open up a controller like that and that is cool. You could find someone to help tho. It's not any harder than changing a doorknob I'd say.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just reread the OP, I missed the part about how we accept this for phones.

What exactly are you suggesting? We have phones that take AAA batteries as a “step forward”?

You’re on another planet mate…😂
Not sure what I suggest. Nothing.
But buying very expensive devices that have already 15% less capacity after a year ? That’s not good.
Same with switch…
We too quickly agreed to using internal batteries. There must’ve been a better way. At least keep the battery door.
Those internal batteries on phones are glued and very hard to open the phone and replace making your 1kusd phone or handheld dead.
With phones it’s ok since we are used to selling them after 2 years… but the principle is still wrong.
That’s planned obsolescence.
Planned garbage.
Planned waste

Reactions: Zug

Crayon

But buying very expensive devices that have already 15% less capacity after a year ? That’s not good.
Same with switch…
We too quickly agreed to using internal batteries. There must’ve been a better way. At least keep the battery door.
Those internal batteries on phones are glued and very hard to open the phone and replace making your 1kusd phone or handheld dead.
With phones it’s ok since we are used to selling them after 2 years… but the principle is still wrong.
Planned garbage.
Planned waste

Yes, the phones are fucked. Changing an internal battery on a playstation controller, I'm willing to call that a "repair". It's obviously different than changing aa batteries. But sony don't go out of their way the make it difficult.

Tomeru

Yeah, Im not spending 200$ on a controller to have its battery die in 10 years. Im furious.

Said no one ever.

After the announcement of Dualsense Pro Edge controller I must come back to his tragic topic.
Many of you have been fooled. Made to think that internal batteries are somehow "comfortable".
This will be yet another 200$ controller with internal battery and no official way to replace it and not other options to power it.
Sony is not selling official replacements for internal batteries and you are stuck with what you get or aftermarket crap.

Internal batteries usage type:
-Use the controller until it depletes
-Connect and play
-Or stop playing, connect and wait with charger
-Controller dies few % each year. A bit with every recharge cycle.
-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.

BATTER DOOR ON A CONTROLLER:
-Use AA/AAA
-Use AA/AAA rechargeables
-Possible higher capacity
-Possible different brands
-Can have 2 pairs and swap in an instant - never have to connect to a console or charger to charge and wait.
-Possibility to use Play'n'charge kit that takes place of battery door and just charges with usb c cable normally. Can replace these. Sony could make em just like m$.
-Possibility (in concept, maybe some controller does this) to just charge batteries inside a controller. So just using it exactly like internal but with a batter door do be able to swap dying batteries after years.

There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.
Your controller will never die.
You will never have to wait for it to charge potentially.
In 20 years, you will just put in new batteries and go.

BUILT-IN Batteries are anti consumer. Create waste products.
Lithiuum Ion batteries are dying and will die. Your every device with internal battery WILL DIE. It's a sad state we accepted this with phones so fight-free.
Even if Sony offered new internal batteries replacements... that would be awesome but they will not do that in years and years after ps4/5 and AAA/AA is a standard tech.

Realistically, I know this probably not a real concern as some after market internals will always be available... But it's not idea... is it ?
You're God damn right man.

BlackTron

Regardless, it's a trivial repair. No soldering. No heat gun. Easy entry. Clear path to the battery.

It's still a repair. At least when GBA SP got a rechargeable battery, it was designed to be user-replaceable. All it took was one screw.

Switch battery is not user-replaceable, it's tinkerer-replaceable. It's MEANT to be thrown out and replaced at EOL. This is a question of intent. By putting down even a few small barriers, they ensure that all but the most stubborn will not bother.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I agree that modular battery packs would be better, but going back to the 115 year-old AA/AAA format without an embedded charging port would be a grave mistake.
People just tend to forego the hassle of buying rechargeable batteries and use the much longer running non-rechargeable ones, leading to massive amounts of waste.

Three

Even a $15 Energizer charger pack with 4 Li-Ion AAs bundled in are perfectly fine for years on a MS controller. Play for 30 hours till you get a low battery warning, spend a minute and a half swapping the batteries out, and put the dead ones on the charger.

No fuss, no muss, no remembering to plug in your controller after using it, no dead internals after 3 years, etc. Chef's kiss.
The new series controllers don't last anywhere near the advertised 40hrs, more like 15hrs. The xbox one...ones lasted much longer.

I have a pretty good system already: I play, when I'm done I put my controller on a charging stand. No fuss, no fiddling with batteries, no wondering is this particular AA charged or dead. its ready whenever I want to play and my play sessions don't last 24hrs for it to ever be a problem. I prefer internal batteries.
Same with switch…
Planned garbage.
Planned waste
I honestly would never want swappble batteries in phones. I had them and the only thing I miss is being able to hot swap. There were other things we gained though with internal batteries with no door. We gained more mAh for the same thickness phone and we gained better phones with better IPX waterproof ratings. In the past a phone in the toilet/beer would have meant it's dead.

Last edited:
I dunno. Having a Dualsense for the PS5 and a Series X controller for the PC, rechargeable AA's for Xbox controller too, still prefer the integrated battery method myself. I just plug the controller in and it magically recharges. Granted, if the Series X controller would recharge my AA's using a USB-C cable it'd be perfect - but it doesn't. At some point in the future I may have to spend 10 minutes replacing the Dualsense battery, but given the battery in my Dualshock 3 still works fine and its been donkeys years, you never know really.

They need to do like 8bitdo controllers have it. Why i buy their stuff all the time.
They supply a rechargeable battery that is in a slot where 2 AAs will fit. This allows it to work like dual shock/joycons for charging but if you want you have the option of putting whatever aa batteries in there.
They also offer 4 different modes. Xinput, dinput, switch and mac options so they work on just about anything and even have usb dongles for classic mini consoles.

92fca7123b1742a38f4f0fd6223fff90.jpeg

Well I agree.

When it comes to collecting stuff, I hate anything with a battery.

PSP's also suffer a lot from this. They should manufacture AAA battery replacement decks for it.

To the people shitting on op, you don't like the thread no reason to be assholes. This is a legit concern.

Real life example:
PS3 controllers, batteries are dead. You can't get new dual shock 3 controllers anywhere as they don't make them. So you have to use 3rd party controllers. Also cording a dead battery controller does not work, sadly.

I think about this with my switch, vita, 3ds and countless other devices. At least steam deck i know they have replacement parts.

Phones used to have replaceable batteries and head phone jacks. But too many people buy into corporate propaganda and accept the apple "its trendy and not needed' bs. Meanwhile corps make billions leaving these basic features out and pass it off like you are gaining something. You are not you are loosing!

Last edited:

Three

They need to do like 8bitdo controllers have it. Why i buy their stuff all the time.
They supply a rechargeable battery that is in a slot where 2 AAs will fit. This allows it to work like dual shock/joycons for charging but if you want you have the option of putting whatever aa batteries in there.
They also offer 4 different modes. Xinput, dinput, switch and mac options so they work on just about anything and even have usb dongles for classic mini consoles.

92fca7123b1742a38f4f0fd6223fff90.jpeg
You can buy a play and charge kit that is pretty similar to this for the xbox controller but the fuckers try to make you buy it separately. Makes a £55 controller become £75 to get the same features. They should just include that thing and not cheap out.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To the people shitting on op, you don't like the thread no reason to be assholes. This is a legit concern.

Real life example:
PS3 controllers, batteries are dead. You can't get new dual shock 3 controllers anywhere as they don't make them. So you have to use 3rd party controllers. Also cording a dead battery controller does not work, sadly.

I think about this with my switch, vita, 3ds and countless other devices. At least steam deck i know they have replacement parts.

Phones used to have replaceable batteries and head phone jacks. But too many people buy into corporate propaganda and accept the apple "its trendy and not needed' bs. Meanwhile corps make billions leaving these basic features out and pass it off like you are gaining something. You are not you are loosing!
Legit concern sure, anti consumer is a little harsh

Sony should 100% make it easier to replace their battery and even make an official replacement battery

But in all honesty I have replaced many more controllers over stick drift before my battery ever gave me issues

I am hoping this new Dualsense Edge fixes this

Lasha

If it was a trivial repair we wouldn't be getting paid to do it. Literally the opposite of trivial.
It's still a repair. At least when GBA SP got a rechargeable battery, it was designed to be user-replaceable. All it took was one screw.

Switch battery is not user-replaceable, it's tinkerer-replaceable. It's MEANT to be thrown out and replaced at EOL. This is a question of intent. By putting down even a few small barriers, they ensure that all but the most stubborn will not bother.

Nintendo would have soldered the battery to the board if the switch were meant to be disposable. The barrier to replace the battery is just some screws. I think it's meant to be repaired. Probably by Nintendo.

BlackTron

Nintendo would have soldered the battery to the board if the switch were meant to be disposable. The barrier to replace the battery is just some screws. I think it's meant to be repaired. Probably by Nintendo.

I wasn't sure you read the post that you quoted so I bolded a few parts.

Topher

Gold Member
Legit concern sure, anti consumer is a little harsh

Sony should 100% make it easier to replace their battery and even make an official replacement battery

But in all honesty I have replaced many more controllers over stick drift before my battery ever gave me issues

I am hoping this new Dualsense Edge fixes this

it is to the point that any little thing that can be complained about is considered "anti consumer". I've become a bit de-sensitized by its overuse, frankly.

I can point to specific things I do not like about both my Xbox and PS5. For the amount of money these controllers cost, I could say both should have batteries that are rechargeable and replaceable in the box. Does that make the fact that they are not "anti consumer"? No, I don't think so.

Stick drift, however, is a known issue and should be addressed by all these corporations. Ignoring a defect in a product's design is far more reasonable to be labeled "anti consumer", imo.

RyRy93

99% of controllers end up fucked because of the triggers or analog sticks not the batteries, I'll take my chances if it means I never have to fuck about with AA batteries

Lasha

I wasn't sure you read the post that you quoted so I bolded a few parts.
Thanks for your condescension. I really appreciate it!

Lets be perfectly clear and stop casually using words since you are so pedantic. Nintendo intends for the switch to be serviced by its technicians for warranty and liability purposes. The Switch is designed in a way that the battery is easily replaceable. Any user can purchase a kit that has the battery, solvent, a new adhesive, and tools to replace their switch battery with little effort. The process requires zero soldering or "tinkering" skills to complete. Thus I think your statement that the switch is meant to be disposed of is needless hyperbole because the Switch is easily user serviceable if the device is no longer under warranty. Electronics meant to be forced into obsolescence have power supplies which are soldered to the main board and other impediments to repair like ultrasonically fused cases.

I agree with you that the GBA SP was ideal. Its also a vastly simpler system that does not have anywhere near the cooling or power requirements of the Switch. The Switch is as ideal as you can get with modern electronics.

GrayDock

I have two Dualsenses and the charging station, so I never run out of juice when playing.
That said and since I had to replace my DS3s and DS4s batteries over time, having a one screw port, like the 3DS, and oficial batteries to buy would be awesome.
Not so fan of AA because they don't last like they used to...

Personally with the DS3, DS4 and DaulSense I've never had a problem with any of the internal batteries, or with any other internal rechargeable battery come to think of it.

mARSz8A.gif

Last edited:

BlackTron

Thanks for your condescension. I really appreciate it!

Lets be perfectly clear and stop casually using words since you are so pedantic. Nintendo intends for the switch to be serviced by its technicians for warranty and liability purposes. The Switch is designed in a way that the battery is easily replaceable. Any user can purchase a kit that has the battery, solvent, a new adhesive, and tools to replace their switch battery with little effort. The process requires zero soldering or "tinkering" skills to complete. Thus I think your statement that the switch is meant to be disposed of is needless hyperbole because the Switch is easily user serviceable if the device is no longer under warranty. Electronics meant to be forced into obsolescence have power supplies which are soldered to the main board and other impediments to repair like ultrasonically fused cases.

I agree with you that the GBA SP was ideal. Its also a vastly simpler system that does not have anywhere near the cooling or power requirements of the Switch. The Switch is as ideal as you can get with modern electronics.

You are agreeing with me but somehow using that to support a stance of disagreement. That's why I simply bolded my last message. It seemed I had already covered everything and wondered if you missed something.

Yes, Switch is meant to be serviced by its own technicians. No, it's not meant to be serviced by the end user. As far as Nintendo is concerned, you should probably just buy the new model or new system and forget it.

We are talking about using solvent. It makes me laugh that that's "user serviceable" to anyone. Look I fix my own N64 controllers but I'm not everyone and I don't speak for everyone. The fact that the battery is glued in alone means you were never meant to go there and Nintendo doesn't want you to.

The fact that you CAN, if you wish, is not the point. The point is that it's not designed to last forever like your Game Boy. It's supposed to be used up and replaced with a new version.

Guilty_AI

thats why i'm still wired, no need to worry about batteries, disposable batteries or whatever

Last edited:

Beechos

God damn. Why does everything have to be an attack on everything nowadays. It all depends on perspective and how it affects you. This can be spun in a million different ways for pros/cons.

One can easily argue not including rechargable batteries and making one buy them is anti consumer by artificially increasing the price and passing more costs to the consumer.

Akuji

DS4 battery change was done in minutes. Havent pulled apart a DualSense yet but assume its not much harder.

Design your stuff to be worked at. But god damn, dont think u can charge 70 bucks and have me buy my own batterys on top of that.
Internal all the way, convienient as can be imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are agreeing with me but somehow using that to support a stance of disagreement. That's why I simply bolded my last message. It seemed I had already covered everything and wondered if you missed something.

Yes, Switch is meant to be serviced by its own technicians. No, it's not meant to be serviced by the end user. As far as Nintendo is concerned, you should probably just buy the new model or new system and forget it.

We are talking about using solvent. It makes me laugh that that's "user serviceable" to anyone. Look I fix my own N64 controllers but I'm not everyone and I don't speak for everyone. The fact that the battery is glued in alone means you were never meant to go there and Nintendo doesn't want you to.

The fact that you CAN, if you wish, is not the point. The point is that it's not designed to last forever like your Game Boy. It's supposed to be used up and replaced with a new version.
I really don’t know why they glue these batteries. It’s not going anywhere

kapshin

Eh I don't have a PS5 yet, I use enloops on Xbox works well. I did the same last gen, also had a PS4 I don't recall it ever bothering me that much. If the battery life is comparable to PS4 when I get the 5 I doubt I will care.

all controllers should use AA batteries but if someone really wants to use an internal battery then sell replacements and make it very easy to replace. some controllers are easy to open and some aren't. even if it's easy not everyone wants to take out screws, remove buttons, disconnect cables.

xbox got it right by using AA and having an easy access clip door AND letting people put in a rechargeable internal battery if they want to use a cable to charge.

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm currently looking for a Active Noise Cancelling earbuds right now - as I have some long-flight coming up in October.
Some of the top end stuff costs $200+ dollars. Something like AirPod Pro is like 180 bucks.

If I need to change the battery for them - it would cost $49 per pod and case - so it'd be $150 bucks, in 2-3 years. At least those are serviceable at local Apple store... but with just 30 more dollars, you can get a brand new ones!

But if I got the Bose QuietComfort, or Sony wf-1000xm4 - not even sure where I can get them replaced other than sending in via mail.
I don't know it being anti-consumer, but it just seems so terribly expensive and wasteful.

And not entirely thrilled how glued down the batteries are for my new Steamdeck as well... process itself seems pretty self explanatory and simple, but that glue & heat gun... not too enthused to change it down the road..

edit: Ended up purchasing a lightly used (Used only once,, claims the seller - looks good though in the picture) Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headset from Ebay.
Wanted an earbud for lighter travel, but it's got active noise cancelling and takes AAA batteries that I have plenty of eneloops laying around at home. Hope it's a good 100 dollar spent.

Last edited:

Mung

Lol I sure wish my phone and tablet were powered by AAA batteries. Having internal batteries is just so ANTI CONSUMER

Topher

Gold Member
Charging the same price for a controller while making the buyer supply their own AA batteries is an ANTI-CONSUMER SCAM!!!

Xbox Series controller's MSRP are actually $10 cheaper than DualSense.

Last edited:
Xbox Series controller's MSRP are actually $10 cheaper than DualSense.

Dude don't compare the Dualsense with the Xbox Series Controller. It's one gen behind.

No wonder this old gen is cheaper.

Top Bottom