• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters
A controller isn't a phone and die frequently. Quick changing the batteries is the ultimate luxury.
What kind of luxury are you talking about?
You can change the dualsense battery within 5 minutes with shitty euipment. But the shitty Smartphones are glued and It's not that easy. So what are you trying to prove here??

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
all controllers should use AA batteries but if someone really wants to use an internal battery then sell replacements and make it very easy to replace. some controllers are easy to open and some aren't. even if it's easy not everyone wants to take out screws, remove buttons, disconnect cables.

xbox got it right by using AA and having an easy access clip door AND letting people put in a rechargeable internal battery if they want to use a cable to charge.

The versatility of choice is good.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm currently looking for a Active Noise Cancelling earbuds right now - as I have some long-flight coming up in October.
Some of the top end stuff costs $200+ dollars. Something like AirPod Pro is like 180 bucks.

If I need to change the battery for them - it would cost $49 per pod and case - so it'd be $150 bucks, in 2-3 years. At least those are serviceable at local Apple store... but with just 30 more dollars, you can get a brand new ones!

But if I got the Bose QuietComfort, or Sony wf-1000xm4 - not even sure where I can get them replaced other than sending in via mail.
I don't know it being anti-consumer, but it just seems so terribly expensive and wasteful.

And not entirely thrilled how glued down the batteries are for my new Steamdeck as well... process itself seems pretty self explanatory and simple, but that glue & heat gun... not too enthused to change it down the road..

edit: Ended up purchasing a lightly used (Used only once,, claims the seller - looks good though in the picture) Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headset from Ebay.
Wanted an earbud for lighter travel, but it's got active noise cancelling and takes AAA batteries that I have plenty of eneloops laying around at home. Hope it's a good 100 dollar spent.
I could understand this for earbuds. It's very small device with very small, built-in precisely battery.
But bigger stuff don't have to be like that for sure

Shubh_C63

It does feel anti consumer but I rather face some minor annoyance than use use&throw batteries flooding the ocean.

Aren't lithium batteries a better solution than old AA cell tech ?

Naked Lunch

I cant stand internal batteries either.
In the past 5 years or so the Retro gaming market exploded and companies made wireless controllers for old consoles like NES, SNES, Genesis - but now those same companies are making redesigns - and making them wired now. Most likely because the internal batteries are dying already. Ive had lots of issues with RetroBit brand controllers' batteries for Saturn/Genesis.

What kind of luxury are you talking about?
You can change the dualsense battery within 5 minutes with shitty euipment. But the shitty Smartphones are glued and It's not that easy. So what are you trying to prove here??
You can change the dual sense battery in 5 minutes? By what, taking the controller apart? I can change the batteries in an Xbox Controller in 30 seconds. Talk about load times, yeesh.

spons

Gold Member
My Switch currently works fine, but the moment the battery shits the bed I can basically throw the entire thing away. At least the 3DS battery was replaceable.
Why in the name of dick do they not do that for the Switch? Open your unit, replace battery, enjoy the product for 5 more years.

lachesis

I could understand this for earbuds. It's very small device with very small, built-in precisely battery.
But bigger stuff don't have to be like that for sure

Agree... Earbuds are much more understandable as per the product design itself... but to me, at least they are very expensive "throwaway" product. If I am spending 2-300 bucks on earbuds - I want them to perform long long time - like a decade minimum, not 2-3 years. At least, I wish they'd setup some sort of battery replacement center (for cheap) where people can just visit/change the batteries at much more reasonable price.

But for headphones... I've seen some teardowns of some Bose QuietComfort 35 and 45s - and they seem to be using roughly AAA sized built in battery to boot. It just seems like a lazy product design.
Or maybe it's me who's looking some "longevity" in any product that I buy - is just terribly outdated person. :(

Maybe it's the mentality thing.
Something like a car - one would be highly encouraged to keep the oils/filters changed and all - but why different mentality on other things... especially where you don't have to sacrifice that much convenience to keep the "options" open, like Dual Shock/Sense or phones... or all these disposable electronics, is something that I don't understand.

Then again, one thing I noticed when I came to U.S. about 30 some years ago from Asia - I was so shocked that society was encouraging "consume, consume, consume" - while I was taught and brought up "save, save, save".

You can change the dual sense battery in 5 minutes? By what, taking the controller apart?

Yeah It's easy everybody can do that. But I know Xbox Fanboys can't even put an nmve cooler on a NVME. That's way you like Seagate and pay more for storage.
So you are overwhelmed by changing the battery. Better stick with your MS console.
eWftGG9.gif

Yeah It's easy everybody can do that. But I know Xbox Fanboys can't even put an nmve cooler on a NVME. That's way you like Seagate and pay more for storage.
So you are overwhelmed by changing the battery. Better stick with your MS console.
eWftGG9.gif
I build PC’s and don’t own an Xbox. But I do have an Xbox controller and I used to have a PS4 pro. The Xbox controller was way better in terms of getting back into the game as opposed to being stuck to a plug to continue playing on the PS4.

Last edited:

Kadve

So much cheaper for the companies. With Internal batteries they can keep it at the voltage best suited for the system. But for external ones they are locked to a certain voltage and have to design the entire hardware around that.

(DS4 is at 3.7V while DS5 uses 4.2V. Not really achievable with external batteries)

(edit) Sorry, misread OP. Yea i agree that new battery packs should be available.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Internal batteries aren't even the most prolific problem for controllers. It's the fucking Drift! FIX THE DRIFT, once and for all!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don’t like them in controllers just because I end up needing to swap them often or stop playing and recharge. Hell I use a wired pad keyboard and mouse on my pc to just avoid the issue. Don’t bother me as much on a phone or iPad but guess if I could swap I would.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Basically
g3fjSuQ.jpg
You can imagine this bin with dead mp3 players, ipods, smartphones, battery packs, controllers and tons, tons of other items which are hard to recycle because human is required to open it carefully, disassemble it and so on.
With AAA/AA it's easier to recycle since we have special bins for these and there are special facilities which take care of this task.
And you can see some internal b atteries in that bin too... and the power tools batteries which also have internal battery inside.. but that's a different topic probably

OZ9000

Banned
After the announcement of Dualsense Pro Edge controller I must come back to his tragic topic.
Many of you have been fooled. Made to think that internal batteries are somehow "comfortable".
This will be yet another 200$ controller with internal battery and no official way to replace it and not other options to power it.
Sony is not selling official replacements for internal batteries and you are stuck with what you get or aftermarket crap.

Internal batteries usage type:
-Use the controller until it depletes
-Connect and play
-Or stop playing, connect and wait with charger
-Controller dies few % each year. A bit with every recharge cycle.
-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.

BATTER DOOR ON A CONTROLLER:
-Use AA/AAA
-Use AA/AAA rechargeables
-Possible higher capacity
-Possible different brands
-Can have 2 pairs and swap in an instant - never have to connect to a console or charger to charge and wait.
-Possibility to use Play'n'charge kit that takes place of battery door and just charges with usb c cable normally. Can replace these. Sony could make em just like m$.
-Possibility (in concept, maybe some controller does this) to just charge batteries inside a controller. So just using it exactly like internal but with a batter door do be able to swap dying batteries after years.

There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.
Your controller will never die.
You will never have to wait for it to charge potentially.
In 20 years, you will just put in new batteries and go.

BUILT-IN Batteries are anti consumer. Create waste products.
Lithiuum Ion batteries are dying and will die. Your every device with internal battery WILL DIE. It's a sad state we accepted this with phones so fight-free.
Even if Sony offered new internal batteries replacements... that would be awesome but they will not do that in years and years after ps4/5 and AAA/AA is a standard tech.

Realistically, I know this probably not a real concern as some after market internals will always be available... But it's not idea... is it ?
Well said.

The Dualsense needs AA batteries and don't ever fucking tell me otherwise!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well said.

The Dualsense needs AA batteries and don't ever fucking tell me otherwise!
But it will ruin your life.
4x2450mh (bigger capacity) + charger is whooping 15$.

GloveSlap

Replaceable AAs for life. I even have the deluxe Eneloop set that has the C and D battery shells you can put the AAs in to.

JackMcGunns

Options are always better, but alas, the same people preaching that changing your own SSD drive is better than a proprietary, will be the same one telling you that internal "proprietary" batteries are better :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Don’t they last like 50 years anyway?
You’ll probably die before you need to replace them.

I don't yet own a PS5, but my PS4 controller is the pits, it either sucks too much power, or the internal battery stinks, not enough mAh. I use external rechargeable packs with additional mah that could go a damn week without the need for a recharge, whereas my PS4 controller needs to be recharged the same day sometimes :messenger_expressionless:

Have you seen how difficult modern controllers are to take apart? When your batteries have a significantly shorter life span controllers with battery compartments have a much easier time getting fresh batteries than ones where the batteries are built in. This is a fact. I shouldn't have to take a controller apart to replace the batteries.
I've taken all Somy controllers apart. Theres no magic behind it. You can also replace/switch the internal battery if you feel the need to do it.
I haven't had issues with my sony controllers batterys ever.

People are blowing these things out of proportion.

I've taken all Somy controllers apart. Theres no magic behind it. You can also replace/switch the internal battery if you feel the need to do it.
I haven't had issues with my sony controllers batterys ever.

People are blowing these things out of proportion.
I've never needed to take apart an Xbox controller. I can easily and quickly replace the rechargeable batteries and be playing again in seconds. There is no way to replace an internal PlayStation controller battery that easily. I like options and appreciate the simplicity offered in MS' solution.

I've never needed to take apart an Xbox controller. I can easily and quickly replace the rechargeable batteries and be playing again in seconds. There is no way to replace an internal PlayStation controller battery that easily. I like options and appreciate the simplicity offered in MS' solution.
I never had to replace batterys as well whats your point? I just said you could if needed.

lachesis

Basically
g3fjSuQ.jpg

No... basically

WIxT1vL.jpg

Also reminds me... this gum-like thin batteries from old Walkmans - and I was super impressed how they didn't have to lose any form factor due to the bulkiness of AA/AAA - still rechargeable and more compact than ever.

4bzdSqR.jpg

Last edited:

FeldMonster

It does feel anti consumer but I rather face some minor annoyance than use use&throw batteries flooding the ocean.

Aren't lithium batteries a better solution than old AA cell tech ?
You do realize that AAs are a geometry and voltage specification and not a battery chemistry, right?

Lithium (non-rechargeable) and lithium ion AAs exist, (as do the more popular Nickel metal hydride and alkaline chemistries).

The reason you don't often see Lithium ion AAs (beyond the cost) is that the single cell voltage doesn't match up well with AAs and the weight advantage over Nimh is negligible. But they do exist.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
ez but unnecessary
Regular maintenance of one's personal belongings is typically necessary

I mean sure you can continue buying new controllers or wiring up the dead ones you have while you complain about disposable batteries
.....Orrrrr you can solve the problem with a 5 minute YouTube video and ordering the battery off of Amazon....

Pidull

Regular maintenance of one's personal belongings is typically necessary

I mean sure you can continue buying new controllers or wiring up the dead ones you have while you complain about disposable batteries
.....Orrrrr you can solve the problem with a 5 minute YouTube video and ordering the battery off of Amazon....
The issue comes from the quality and availability of those batteries ordered off of Amazon or wherever else. I had to buy 3 different replacement batteries for my Wii U gamepad before I found one that could hold a charge for longer than 60-90 minutes (ifixit ended up being the best option).

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The issue comes from the quality and availability of those batteries ordered off of Amazon or wherever else. I had to buy 3 different replacement batteries for my Wii U gamepad before I found one that could hold a charge for longer than 60-90 minutes (ifixit ended up being the best option).
Yeah some electrical engineering knowledge comes into play, but really batteries are the easier side of that

Not trying to be rude, but if you're looking to replace the air filter on your car then just flop at looking up a good one that fits yeah you'll probably have to buy a few to get what you're looking for

I don't really know what else to say other than research more, sorry

Stuart360

I use wired Xbox controllers on PC, but when i were gaming on 360 i preferred external batteries as i would just buy a load of cheap AA battery packs, and i didnt have to worry about forgetting to charge the controller before a gaming sesh, or the controller running out in the middle of a gaming sesh.

EDMIX

I think I've only changed that battery once and it was for PS3, it was for some controller I had that was a special edition of sorts. The MGS4 gunmetal PS3 controller.

Used it for years, it never actually died, it just ran out of change faster. Ordered some battery on Ebay for $9 or so, took literally less then 5 minutes to unscrew the controller and replace the battery...lived life.

Have yet to change that shit since and that was like 4 years ago or that happened. I haven't needed to change any PS4 battery.

Stuart360 Stuart360 lol I also prefer wired on PC. Although one day I might get those new XB controllers for PC to splurge, but right now I'm ok using the classic wired XB controller PC

Last edited:
Top Bottom