• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

Stuart360

I think I've only changed that battery once and it was for PS3, it was for some controller I had that was a special edition of sorts. The MGS4 gunmetal PS3 controller.

Used it for years, it never actually died, it just ran out of change faster. Ordered some battery on Ebay for $9 or so, took literally less then 5 minutes to unscrew the controller and replace the battery...lived life.

Have yet to change that shit since and that was like 4 years ago or that happened. I haven't needed to change any PS4 battery.

Stuart360 Stuart360 lol I also prefer wired on PC. Although one day I might get those new XB controllers for PC to splurge, but right now I'm ok using the classic wired XB controller PC
Yeah i mean i always prefer wired anyway (although did use use wireless on 360/ps3), and it also helps when the Xbox controllers wire are so long (10feet, 12 feet, something like that). PC is on the side wall and the controller reaches right over to my bed, and couch actually lol.

I never had to replace batterys as well whats your point? I just said you could if needed.
Well I have replaced the batteries in my PS3 and PS4 controllers and it was a total pain. There is nothing wrong with providing customers the ability to either use rechargeable or normal batteries and easily replace them. Your personal experience isn't the same for everyone. I like when companies give customers options.

Pidull

Yeah some electrical engineering knowledge comes into play, but really batteries are the easier side of that

Not trying to be rude, but if you're looking to replace the air filter on your car then just flop at looking up a good one that fits yeah you'll probably have to buy a few to get what you're looking for

I don't really know what else to say other than research more, sorry
Your solution: buy from Amazon

That solution will yield a "high capacity" battery that gives a Wii U gamepad 45 minutes of life instead of what should be 8 hours of life, for the same cost as 4 AA Eneloops.

Using your analogy, it's like if 95% of the car stores I go to in order to buy the replacement car battery sell me a battery that's just as dead as the one I'm trying to replace, leaving me with a car that's still basically useless. That's not bad research, that's a lack of viable options. People wanting swappable AA-batteries in their controllers is a request for a greater range of viable options.

Antwix

I voted battery door would be better. I do prefer it with my xbox controller and having like 8 AA rechargables for the 2 controllers I have works great for me. Quick and easy and I haven't plugged in the controller ever. However, I wouldn't care so much if not for the PS4 (and from what I read, PS5 as well) controllers having absolutely abysmal battery life. I remember buying a new battery for my PS4 controller and it was still dogshit. RIP PS3 controller. That thing's battery lasted forever.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Your solution: buy from Amazon

That solution will yield a "high capacity" battery that gives a Wii U gamepad 45 minutes of life instead of what should be 8 hours of life, for the same cost as 4 AA Eneloops.

Using your analogy, it's like if 95% of the car stores I go to in order to buy the replacement car battery sell me a battery that's just as dead as the one I'm trying to replace, leaving me with a car that's still basically useless. That's not bad research, that's a lack of viable options. People wanting swappable AA-batteries in their controllers is a request for a greater range of viable options.
I'll Bing it for ya

I'd suggest that one, there's some things you can Bing on the label then input some numbers on online calculators and get why

sono

Gold Member
Most notably this is a problem in mobile phones. Not good for the planet. I thought I read there is recent regulation that batteries must be able to be replaced.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
See? What's so hard about that.
Still slim but got battery door.
Can Use rechargeable batteries, regular batteries or a battery pack which you can charge inside a controller.
This controller will never become ewaste with dead battery locked inside that you can't replace.

damidu

all for battery door
it would benefit sony too, just put the battery cost to consumers like microsoft has been doing for decades.

twilo99

I’ve got a rechargeable pack in one of my controllers and aa batteries in the other .. the rechargeable is definitely the better solution but it’s really nice to have access to the batteries.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure but, what controller is locked to the point were you can't replace the battery?
Read the thread and my first post.
you can replace but... good luck finding original batter or maybe even replacement in many years.
Batteries die, then you have to open up a controller and source a new battery that isn't chinese crap sitting for years on shelves
All of which could be avoided with simple battery door... and you gain option to use AA, rechargables or battery pack

EDMIX

you can replace but... good luck finding original batter or maybe even replacement in many years.
Batteries die, then you have to open up a controller and source a new battery that isn't chinese crap sitting for years on shelves
All of which could be avoided with simple battery door... and you gain option to use AA, rechargables or battery pack

One more time, what controller is locked inside where you can't replace the battery?

you can replace but
then you have to open up

lmfao! stop man, this shit makes no sense you exaggerated this whole thing lying and saying something so sensational as " dead battery locked inside that you can't replace."

Only to be like "you can replace" and "you have to open"

oooohhhh soooo you can do all that then?

smh

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One more time, what controller is locked inside where you can't replace the batter?
What does that have to do with anthing. Read the fucking thread. I am not repeating myself.
Open your controlers if you want to. Get fucked in the ass as a consumer if you like. I don't.
And yes. Controllers are locked. You need security torx, new sourced battery and tiny bit of skill. Not everyone wants to.
And before you start "but it's so easy, I am so smart, you so dumbo"... I've opened every controller I own. It's not about that. not at all.
It's unnecessary step that we shouldn't rely on.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One more time, what controller is locked inside where you can't replace the battery?

lmfao! stop man, this shit makes no sense you exaggerated this whole thing lying and saying something so sensational as " dead battery locked inside that you can't replace."

smh
Go buy chinese battery replacements and don't annoy me.
Why would I have to do any of that if I can take my old 360 controller, put in 2 AA battteries and get 50 hours out of it.

This is no way to have a topic and conversation "haha but you can open it". It's not about that.

Last edited:

EDMIX

What does that have to do with anthing. Read the fucking thread. I am not repeating myself.
Open your controlers if you want to. Get fucked in the ass as a consumer if you like. I don't.
And yes. Controllers are locked. You need security torx, new sourced battery and tiny bit of skill. Not everyone wants to.
And before you start "but it's so easy, I am so smart, you so dumbo"... I've opened every controller I own. It's not about that. not at all.
It's unnecessary step that we shouldn't rely on.

So...as someone that builds PCs, this isn't some fucking rocket science type thing where you need an engineering degree or something lol I own probably 6 or 7 PS3's with many controllers, I only replaced the battery once for my gunmetal MGS4 controller and that was based on the choice, as the battery was only staying charged for like 2 hours, but that was also after 10 years of usage.

This isn't something that someone is doing every year or every 2 years or anything weird like that and I see no reason to lie and say they are "locked" when you literally have people who know how to use a screw driver to open things up.

This sounds like a you issue lol

If you don't know how to use a screw driver just say that lol

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

So...as someone that builds PCs, this isn't some fucking rocket science type thing where you need an engineering degree or something lol I own probably 6 or 7 PS3's with many controllers, I only replaced the battery once for my gunmetal MGS4 controller and that was based on the choice, as the battery was only staying charged for like 2 hours, but that was also after 10 years of usage.

This isn't something that someone is doing every year or every 2 years or anything weird like that and I see no reason to lie and say they are "locked" when you literally have people who know how to use a screw driver to open things up.

"as someone who builds computers".... Are you this dumb? This is not about opining a controller. It's not some secret knowledge that only you posses.
Everyone knows how to open a controller.
See your ps3 controllers in few more years. You will have to be sourcing knock off batteries, hoping they are semi-fine and replacing them. not for free either.
Dunno about your country but none of that is available in Poland. I don't want to order batteries from abroad.,
It is an issue. you are ignorant to being fooled over by manufacturers. it wouldn't have to be like this if ps3 controller just had a battery door and accepted AA.
You pay for it. Why would you need to order 3rd party batteries to keep it alive. year from now or 50. no matter.

I have more pc building experience and engineering experience than you. but I am not saying it here. Its not needed for this topic.
If you feel the need to start boasting about your experience in battery topic, you are low esteemed fool

Last edited:

EDMIX

buy chinese battery
made-in-china-duracell-aa-1.png

If know how to build a PC, I have no clue how a screw would stop you from buying a controller.

if thats a challenge for you, I have a hard time believing most of what you are saying =)

(my guy, we didn't waste any energy reading that excuse btw, its trying waaaaay too hard to pretend a screw is a massive obstacle)

Good luck with that logic

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
See why I refreshed the topic. 8bitdo v2 pro have done it right. No drawbacks about this solution.
if You don't have anything to add to the discussion, you might restrain yourself from posting stupid gifs.
Are you another internal battery defender? Don't you understand that adding battery door and batteries option DOES NOT INVALIDEATE YOUR CHOICE?!
You can still use internal batteries and others can be happy at the same time. What is so hard to understand

Internal batteries is the dumbest Idea ever... This idea is so fucking stupid that you could say it it came from a mouth of a cryptobro.

The fact that you can buy something that works for decades but you can't use it for that long just because one of its components dies way too earlier, is something out of this world...

External batteries doesn't even change the form factor of the product and they pay for themselves very quickly... So people that say they are fine with this internal batteries bullshit are the same type of smooth brain morons that support games like Fifa and Gatchas.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
See why I refreshed the topic. 8bitdo v2 pro have done it right. No drawbacks about this solution.
if You don't have anything to add to the discussion, you might restrain yourself from posting stupid gifs.
Are you another internal battery defender? Don't you understand that adding battery door and batteries option DOES NOT INVALIDEATE YOUR CHOICE?!
You can still use internal batteries and others can be happy at the same time. What is so hard to understand

lol.....my stupid gif was simply accurate. This subject has been argued from every possible angle and you ain't added anything new my man.

Besides.....I like stupid gifs.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Last edited:
I like internal batteries cause of the convenience factor I suppose. But if I have to choose. External batteries or have a door that can easily get to the battery. But I guess as long u can keep buying some kinda knock off batteries in 20 years for them. I guess it ok. Like the external since u know, u can choose how you want it to be.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like internal batteries cause of the convenience factor I suppose. But if I have to choose. External batteries or have a door that can easily get to the battery. But I guess as long u can keep buying some kinda knock off batteries in 20 years for them. I guess it ok. Like the external since u know, u can choose how you want it to be.
I just don't like the thought of having to hunt for knock off batteries in few(or many) years to put into original, maybe collectors edition controllers.
I bet it will be possible to find though... so it's just an obstacle. But still

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I use XBO controller with batteries. Biggest dilemma looking at Playstation is the dumb controller. Might have to research 3rd party alternatives if I go Sony later.

Hellraizah

AAs were one of the reason I chose Xbox instead of Playstation.

I can't believe some people are arguing that internal is better. The Xbox controller offers every option for everyone. You like internal battery? You can purchase the rechargeable pack. You want to use AAs, you can. There's just no downside to having multiple options.

The only thing that's mildly better than this option is interchangeable proprietary batteries. The problem with that option is that when the product is discontinued, batteries are not available anymore and you need to get through hoops to get them changed by third parties, if you even can. I'm a pro photographer and I am living with that with my Elinchrom ELB 400 flash units that are discontinued. If they designed it with customer in mind and made a pack where the user could easily switch the 16850 (or whatever the cell format is) inside the battery pack, it would be so much better for the long term. You might even get better battery chemistry down the road when you change the cells.

I also find that so insane that people saying they are environment advocates are happy about internal batteries.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got one of those green remix special edition Xbox controllers last week and it came with a play and charge battery and USB cable. It was pretty nice having that in the box instead of disposable AA batteries. I wish all controllers came with an option to get a rechargeable battery in the box instead of disposable AA batteries.

I wish PS5 controller batteries could be changed easier. One of mine dies in less than 2 hours. I think a third party dock damaged it. A battery access door would have been nice, but opening it to pop in a new one won't be the end of the world.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
"as someone who builds computers".... Are you this dumb? This is not about opining a controller. It's not some secret knowledge that only you posses.
Everyone knows how to open a controller.
See your ps3 controllers in few more years. You will have to be sourcing knock off batteries, hoping they are semi-fine and replacing them. not for free either.
Dunno about your country but none of that is available in Poland. I don't want to order batteries from abroad.,
It is an issue. you are ignorant to being fooled over by manufacturers. it wouldn't have to be like this if ps3 controller just had a battery door and accepted AA.
You pay for it. Why would you need to order 3rd party batteries to keep it alive. year from now or 50. no matter.

I have more pc building experience and engineering experience than you. but I am not saying it here. Its not needed for this topic.
If you feel the need to start boasting about your experience in battery topic, you are low esteemed fool

You bumped your own thread after almost a year just to continue to whine like a petulant child. Grow up.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Internal batteries is the dumbest Idea ever... It's do fucking idiot that we could said that it came from a mouth of a cryptobro.

The ideia that you buy something that can works for decades and decades but you can't use it for that long because one of its componentes died way sooner is something out of this world...

Extenal batteries doesn't even change the form factor of the product so people that are fine with this are the same type of smooth brain morons that support games like fifa and gatchas.

I have heard stories from weirdos about how "they are forced to take the batteries from their remote controller or clock for their Xbox controllers", while pretending rechargeable AA batteries doesn't exist.

b6151e20-e44f-11ed-bddf-0f32b6436f33

I just don't like the thought of having to hunt for knock off batteries in few(or many) years to put into original, maybe collectors edition controllers.
I bet it will be possible to find though... so it's just an obstacle. But still
For sure, like how easy will they be to find in the next 10-20 years. I still got my PlayStation OG and it still works

Harlock

One annoying thing with Xbox controller is that seems using only one the two batteries. Everytime I need to recharge I check the batteries and one is weak while the other still fine. Don´t know if is a design flaw with the Xbox controller or eletronics with two batteries always have this behavior.

Soodanim

Gold Member

smh

made-in-china-duracell-aa-1.png

If know how to build a PC, I have no clue how a screw would stop you from buying a controller.

if thats a challenge for you, I have a hard time believing most of what you are saying =)

(my guy, we didn't waste any energy reading that excuse btw, its trying waaaaay too hard to pretend a screw is a massive obstacle)

Good luck with that logic
I have swapped out multiple parts on my DS4 including the battery, and I'm comfortable doing so. But that is entirely beside the point. Whether you can or not is irrelevant. Anything that was assembled can be disassembled, that's never been disputed.
  1. Not everyone can disassemble a controller, it's fiddly stuff not designed for consumers to mess with
  2. You shouldn't have to learn how to disassemble a product to change a component known to have a shorter life span than the others
  3. Replacement batteries are few and far between when the controller isn't designed with repair in mind, making quality parts more difficult to find
  4. The EU agrees, mandating that mobile phones need to have removable batteries
For all their faults, Microsoft are doing it right. They've had a battery door with plenty of options for decades, and now they even sell replacement parts for those so inclined. It's a shame I don't like their controllers.

I liked the way the 360 (don't have any new Xboxes to compare) did it. The rear had that removeable section that could hold either a charging pack or two AA batteries.

SenkiDala

Of course the Xbox way is the best, they offer you the choice to use normal AA batteries, rechargeable ones, or a "play & charge" kit which is cheap too. All of those are easy to change / replace, it's perfect.

And yes opening a PS3 or 4 or 5 controller isn't that hard but it voids the warranty, and it's quite boring to do, comparing it to the ease of use of a replaceable battery is hypocritical.

I won’t even buy pet toys without a rechargeable internal battery. Xbox controllers are a joke.

Yes I’ve heard all the arguments. Unless MS packs their rechargeable in with the controllers or drops the price for lacking the battery, I don’t wanna hear it.

Unknown?

You don't have to, you can wire it up.

JackMcGunns

Here to read the hypocrisy on how proprietary hardware is somehow better than adding your own (better + cheaper) solution.

Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn-Smiling-SNL.gif

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Could always solve the problem yourself and make millions
Create an easy to do mod to convert to a battery bay

Take the (in this case, anti consumer) problem and provide a commodity, economics 101

If you don't know how to use a screw driver just say that lol
Can you not read what he was saying? Jeesh , it was painful to read your response as you are responding to whats in your mind as he said and not what he actually said.

ITS NOT ABOUT OPENING IT UP....

Try finding a replacement battery that is actually good in a decade+

I have ps3 controllers that are dead in 10 more years I will probably have to resort to wired controllers for it. I bought a cheap 3rd party one because it was too expensive to get new ones (the sticks were slimey too).
My Ps2 wired controllers still work fine.

This is the problem with not having removalbe batteries. I hate it. The phones did this shit too. Portables as well. Switch will be a paperweight in a few years if there isn't replacement batteries when we need them. As I am sure Nintendo isn't going to replace batteries in a decade from now.

Top Bottom