• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson talks sexism, sidesteps 'Ghost in the Shell' controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You can't really honestly say in this situation that she's taking the job of another actress, because without her this particular movie doesn't get made at all and many people are out of jobs.

Thankfully, many countries have their own big film industries now so stuff like this is becoming increasingly less important as America stops being the only place that matters for box office successes.

But that's the thing, there was no real way to answer that wouldn't make her come off as either a bitch (what she answered) or hypocrite (trash talking the people who gave her the role of a japanese character that she took) and ultimately her credibility was hurt.

And while both topics are important, it's a shitty thing to use Diversity to hurt her valid points about Gender equality.

It isn't because one could argue she's benefitting from a system that tramples on Diversity (Asian Americans in this case ) in order for her to achieve Gender equality, y'know kinda like the history of the woman's suffrage movement and White feminism.

Amazing how history continues to repeat itself.

The way forward is pretty obvious; either enough people support Asian stars lower on the rungs so they get a shot to headline something, rolling stone and all that, or some studio guy/gal takes a chance on casting on a film that's a success and it slowly breaks down the barriers that way.

I don't disagree it's self-perpetuating, because with these sorts of issues it's very much a chicken-or-egg situation. You can't make a big film without bankable leads, can't generate those bankable leads unless they're given roles, but they aren't given roles because they're yet not bankable leads. This isn't even a racial issue—as anyone who has had to apply to entry-level jobs demanding years of experience, it's bullshit that occurs in every industry, and those who are disadvantaged are going to bear the brunt of it.

The problem is that while the solution is obvious, the mechanics of effecting that change aren't. Are people going to see Hidden Figures because it's about women? Because it's about colored women? Or that it's a good movie, or that it's a good movie that features people of color? More to the point, if Hidden Figures was trash, is it someone's responsibility to support crappy entertainment in the hope it somehow translates to more opportunities for minorities or women? Is that something that is enough of a concern to enough people that it can be a large enough economic force to push the studios to consider? And then with these blockbusters it becomes an even bigger issue because now American sensibilities and concerns are increasingly marginalized for a global audience.

The other issue is that people aren't just gonna pay to see anything these days. With streaming services things like Netflix etc... People don't even have to go to theatres, especially with ticket prices rising. It's an issue that's facing the industry as a whole, and it effects who might star in particular attempted "franchise films", for example.

It's not about it being anti-Asian but rather who has a track record. If ScarJo was black and Lucy had still been the slamdunk it was, I imagine she still would have been cast.

People like the producers making this movie are interested primarily in previous results so they can put that on some chart and give a 15 minute Powerpoint presentation to an executive.

Im not talking about it being anti-asian im speaking of the economics of it just like you are. Most recent films that have engaged in white washing haven't been successful, There are however plenty of recent films with unknown actors that have done well, and plenty of films with big name actors that have done terribly. The notion that a film needs to have a famous white actor in order to be bankable is nonsense.

Also I'm laughing at the "if scarjo was black" part. If ScarJo was black she wouldn't have anywhere near the career she does now.

The whole no bankable asian actress thing falls apart when you notice theyre barely cast for minor roles either

But I agree with the premise that the movie wouldnt exist without ScarJo, but at the same time why normalize whitewashing

Enzom21

By lowering one of the barriers that society has put up between them and success.
White women have been cast as leads in movies for quite some time has that helped WoC at all?
Just because im sick and tired of the"controversy" doesnt mean i dont care about what she had to say.

Your assumption is weird.

Before your edit, you just posted a "not this shit again."
Nothing more. There is no assumption, that's what you posted.
"Controversy" huh? All roles should go to white people?

Wow....

Tomb Raider has Alicia Vikander as it's lead. A movie property that had a big Hollywood star in Angeline Jolie to sell and do decent but not spectacular box office performance.

lol she's won an academy award and Tomb Raider is bankable af. I'm all for women of color getting more roles but that's a bad example.

Oersted

Eh, it's not like European countries and the likes are rolling over large amounts of cash to get Jackie cast in one of their films. He largely works in Asian related countries these days, for obvious reasons.

Outside Verhoeven and Besson there are practically no directors in Europe which aim for bigger markets. They specifically don't make movies for asian audiences like Disney or Universal.

So instead of bombas or super bombas, you want Omega bombas?

You wouldn't even recoup costs in China.

White has beens get big budgets.

White nobodies get big budgets.

White bankables get big budgets.

Message me if you notice a pattern.

Im not talking about it being anti-asian im speaking of the economics of it just like you are. Most recent films that have engaged in white washing haven't been successful, There are however plenty of recent films with unknown actors that have done well, and plenty of films with big name actors that have done terribly. The notion that a film needs to have a famous white actor in order to be bankable is nonsense.

Also I'm laughing at the "if scarjo was black" part. If ScarJo was black she wouldn't have anywhere near the career she does now.

These are typically always film based on established franchises with a large built-in audience. Thor is a film that's going to succeed regardless of who was Thor, it was a Marvel film. Avatar is a film made by James Cameron, one of the few directors who can get whatever the fuck they want. Star Wars is fucking Star Wars.

Ghost in the Shell is none of those things. Weebs won't carry that movie on it's own. No executive would've signed off on it without a big-name star, that's the reality of the industry.

lol she's won an academy award and Tomb Raider is bankable af. I'm all for women of color getting more roles but that's a bad example.

It's not a bad example. Please list her biggest grossing movie as a lead actress. Tomb Raider is a big brand name, but not necessarily a bankable film IP as big video game names aren't.

Agreed with you until the end part. I just don't think it today's climate there really is such a thing as "bankable stars." ScarJo proved with Lucy that she is one of the few.

Name me other actors who draw people to a movie just because they are in it.

White women have been casts as leads in movies for quite some time has that helped WoC at all?

Before your edit, you just posted a "not this shit again."
Nothing more. There is no assumption, that's what you posted.
"Controversy" huh? All roles should go to white people?

I dont know but saying "not this shit again" alone is a statement of caring.

I never gonna understand these dumb "do you even care?" posts.

Also sorry that i dont a have a problem that a white person plays a white looking robot.

If she would play a asian it would different but she doesnt.

PSqueak

Banned
It isn't because one could argue she's benefitting from a system that tramples on Diversity (Asian Americans in this case ) in order for her to achieve Gender equality, y'know kinda like the history of the woman's suffrage movement and White feminism.

Amazing how history continues to repeat itself.

I know, it's shitty, but the system that massively keeps down women and PoC in hollywood put actresses in positions like this, were she couldn't further equality for both causes, im not justifying her seemingly putting down WoC, what im saying is that we know there is a problem on both Gender Equality AND Diversity, it's shitty that the system in place keeps people down like this, but we shouldn't undermine progress in one area just cause she couldn't work to improve both areas, most likely precisely cause Hollywood makes it hard for everyone to improve conditions.

kswiston

It is true that countries in Asia like Korea, Hong Kong and increasingly China all have their own film industries that means actors don't have to look to Hollywood for 'success'. Just because their ancestral homes offer opportunities, that doesn't mean Asian Americans shouldn't have a place in the country they call home. For guys like Daniel Wu, the US was their home and some even had to learn Cantonese to thrive in HK like he did.

Ya, but none of that applies to Jackie Chan. Dude is a Hong Kong movie actor, who dabbled in American films off and on. He never stopped making films in China/Hong Kong. He has always had more popularity there.

China's annual box office for domestic films is approaching $4B, not counting Hong Kong or Taiwan, which are their own things. The American/Canadian domestic market is close to three times as large, but there's still a ton of money to be made by Chinese productions in China (and the surrounding territories which consume Chinese media). Jackie Chan is heavily invested in that industry. Now that it's exploded, why would he bother making less over here?

Enzom21

I dont know but saying "not this shit again" alone is a statement of caring.

I never gonna understand these dumb "do you even care?" posts.

Also sorry that i dont a have a problem that a white person plays a white looking robot.

If she would play a asian it would different but she doesnt.

I don't give a shit if you care, who the fuck are you? I commented on your silly ass picture that was nothing more than a complaint about the subject of the thread.

These are typically always film based on established franchises with a large built-in audience. Thor is a film that's going to succeed regardless of who was Thor, it was a Marvel film. Avatar is a film made by James Cameron, one of the few directors who can get whatever the fuck they want. Star Wars is fucking Star Wars.

Ghost in the Shell is none of those things. Weebs won't carry that movie on it's own. No executive would've signed off on it without a big-name star, that's the reality of the industry.

I wasn't referencing those films specifically. But sicne you brought it up, Marvel of 2011 was not the same marvel of today. Back then no one knew who the hell Thor was and plenty of the non Disney Marvel films failed. Also there was the Incredible Hulk which was a dissappoint enough for Marvel to not even make a sequel. Avatar was sold more on it's spectacal than James Cameron (though he was a big part). People care more about an interesting/cool looking film then they do about who stars in it.

I know, it's shitty, but the system that massively keeps down women and PoC in hollywood put actresses in positions like this, were she couldn't further equality for both things, im not justifying her seemingly putting down WoC, what im saying is that we know there is a problem on both Gender Equality AND Diversity, it's shitty that the system in place keeps people down like this, but we shouldn't undermine progress in one area just cause she couldn't work to improve both areas, most likely precisely cause Hollywood makes it hard for everyone to improve conditions.

I don't disagree, however surely you can agree she could've answered the question better by at the very least acknowlodging the Asian part of the controversy. That's my only issue.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Of course the Japanese creators are fine with it, what reason do they have to care of another country's social issues? If you bought something from China that was made in a factory that discriminated against Tibetans, you wouldn't even notice.

Outside Verhoeven and Besson there are practically no directors in Europe which aim for bigger markets. They specifically don't make movies for asian audiences like Disney or Universal.

Correct, but Disney and Universal are trying to make that pander to every country, not just Asia.

Agreed with you until the end part. I just don't think it today's climate there really is such a thing as "bankable stars." ScarJo proved with Lucy that she is one of the few.

Name me other actors who draw people to a movie just because they are in it.

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying there are, or aren't bankable stars? Because I don't think there are anymore. Maybe a couple but for the msot part the days of guys like Arnold who could sell movies on their presences alone are gone. Also Lucy is an odd, and I don't think that should be used as evidence for ScarJo being bankable. She's been in plenty of films that haven't done all that well.

This isn't the first action film with a white woman. And WOC are still being snubbed so I don't think it's helping really.

You realize change takes time? Women of color won't get a landslide of roles after this movie. Of course not. But the idea is to show audiences that women can be badasses in action movies as well.

Twenty years ago this movie wouldn't have happened. Absolutely no way would it ever be greenlit. We've come a long way where a major action release can star a woman and it's not instantly condemned.

In twenty more years, it might be commonly acceptable, which helps women of color. As more movies with female leads are successful, audiences become accustomed to it and the risk in making those movies becomes lower. This means more roles for all women, including women of color.

The issue here is not with ScarJo. It's not with the director. It's not with whoever did casting. It's not with the investors or the board of directors who would have rejected an Asian actress. All of these people are simply reacting to the problem in a rational way.

The problem is that people who watch movies in America (and Europe, to some extent) subconsciously are less likely to want to see a movie with an Asian female lead (or Asian male for that matter). People like to watch films where they can connect with the actors and actresses and America's Asian population is relatively tiny compared to other races. Obviously it's easier to connect to someone you can relate with better. This means race does play a factor. That's an innate part of humanity. You can't change it.

What you can do is minimize it. Go to a theater for a movie with a black lead and you're going to see a disproportionately higher amount of black people there. Same with Asian. Or Indian. Same with women. It's true for a white lead as well, though likely not nearly as much. White leads are more accepted. We know that. Minorities are ok with white leads because they've been so exposed to them.

This can work in inverse as well. It can work with gender too. But the process is slow. It takes a long time. You need to change the way an entire country thinks by slowly showing the audience that this different thing is ok. You can't force the issue. It will never work that way. The industry would collapse completely before it worked or (more likely) the people pushing it would go out of business and would be replaced by people without the same desire for social equality.

It takes time. This movie is a step in the right direction. But it's not going to take us to the finish line. That doesn't mean ScarJo is wrong. It's still a victory. It's just not the victory.

Timbuktu

Ya, but none of that applies to Jackie Chan. Dude is a Hong Kong movie actor, who dabbled in American films off and on. He never stopped making films in China/Hong Kong. He has always had more popularity there.

China's annual box office for domestic films is approaching $4B, not counting Hong Kong or Taiwan, which are their own things. The American/Canadian domestic market is close to three times as large, but there's still a ton of money to be made by Chinese productions in China (and the surrounding territories which consume Chinese media). Jackie Chan is heavily invested in that industry. Now that it's exploded, why would he bother making less over here?

I don't have a problem with Jackie Chan making films in China obviously. His politics bothers me somewhat, but I would rather he make better films there than another Rush Hour. Same goes for Chow Yun Fat. I didn't think that was the issue being discussed though.

Xe4

Banned
To be fair, you would have to be insane to give a $200 million dollar franchise to Kikuchi.

Disney gave a $20 BILLION dollar franchises to three unproven actors, one African British Citizen, one hispanic, and a woman. Why they couldn't also give it to an actress who was in an award wining and highly praised movie (Babel) is beyond me.

Enzom21

You realize change takes time? Women of color won't get a landslide of roles after this movie. Of course not. But the idea is to show audiences that women can be badasses in action movies as well.

Twenty years ago this movie wouldn't have happened. Absolutely no way would it ever be greenlit. We've come a long way where a major action release can star a woman and it's not instantly condemned.

In twenty more years, it might be commonly acceptable, which helps women of color. As more movies with female leads are successful, audiences become accustomed to it and the risk in making those movies becomes lower. This means more roles for all women, including women of color.

The issue here is not with ScarJo. It's not with the director. It's not with whoever did casting. It's not with the investors or the board of directors who would have rejected an Asian actress. All of these people are simply reacting to the problem in a rational way.

The problem is that people who watch movies in America subconsciously are less likely to want to see a movie with an Asian female lead (or Asian male for that matter). People like to watch films where they can connect with the actors and actresses. Obviously it's easier to connect to someone you can relate with better. This means race does play a factor. That's an innate part of humanity. You can't change it.

What you can do is minimize it. Go to a theater for a movie with a black lead and you're going to see a disproportionately higher amount of black people there. Same with Asian. Or Indian. Same with women. It's true for a white lead as well, though likely not nearly as much. White leads are more accepted. We know that. Minorities are ok with white leads because they've been so exposed to them.

This can work in reverse as well. It can work with gender too. But the process is slow. It takes a long time. You need to change the way an entire country thinks. You can't force the issue. It will never work that way. The industry would collapse completely before it worked or (more likely) the people pushing it would go out of business and would be replaced by people without the same desire for social equality.

It takes time. This movie is a step in the right direction. But it's not going to take us to the finish line. That doesn't mean ScarJo is wrong. It's still a victory. It's just not the victory.

This is the first action movie with a woman as the lead?

I wasn't referencing those films specifically. But sicne you brought it up, Marvel of 2011 was not the same marvel of today. Back then no one knew who the hell Thor was and plenty of the non Disney Marvel films failed. Also there was the Incredible Hulk which was a dissappoint enough for Marvel to not even make a sequel. Avatar was sold more on it's spectacal than James Cameron (though he was a big part). People care more about an interesting/cool looking film then they do about who stars in it.

What are you trying to argue, dude? I'm not getting your point. All of those things you posted are true. But that doesn't change the fact that Ghost in the Shell is a niche brand and likely wouldn't have been made without a big movie star.

If you think Marvel's Thor was in anyway comparable in popularity, even in 2011, to Ghost in the Shell's, you might hangout on anime forums too much. :p

Disney gave a $20 BILLION dollar franchises to three unproven actors, one African British Citizen, one hispanic, and a woman. Why they couldn't also give it to an actress who was in an award wining and highly praised movie (Babel) is beyond me.

Cause they saw Pacific Rim

The problem is that people who watch movies in America subconsciously are less likely to want to see a movie with an Asian female lead (or Asian male for that matter). People like to watch films where they can connect with the actors and actresses. Obviously it's easier to connect to someone you can relate with better. This means race does play a factor. That's an innate part of humanity. You can't change it.

This can work in reverse as well. It can work with gender too. But the process is slow. It takes a long time. You need to change the way an entire country thinks. You can't force the issue. It will never work that way. The industry would collapse completely before it worked or (more likely) the people pushing it would go out of business and would be replaced by people without the same desire for social equality.

20 years what wouldn't have been made? An action film with a female? I'll give you 30, Aliens? T2? White female led films are not a new thing. You guys keep saying it takes time but it's been decades and Woc are still being snubbed.

D i Z

Snip*

Snip*

Point of no Return came out in 93. And that was a remake.

Ronin Ray

Chloe Bennet would have made a great major. She would be perfect for the role and you could use her real last name to sell the movie overseas but yeah without Scarlett Johansson I don't think the movie gets made

What are you trying to argue, dude? I'm not getting your point. All of those things you posted are true. But that doesn't change the fact that Ghost in the Shell is a niche brand and likely wouldn't have been made without a big movie star.

If you think Marvel's Thor was in anyway comparable in popularity, even in 2011, to Ghost in the Shell's, you might hangout on anime forums too much. :p

I'm arguing that movies starring unknown actors can be successful and movies starring famous actors can bomb...like I said several times.

Also going by previous whitewashing films like DB Evolution, TLA, and gods of Egypt then yeah I think i'd rather it not be made.

So instead of bombas or super bombas, you want Omega bombas?

You wouldn't even recoup costs in China.

Yeah I found it weird people were using John Carter and The Lone Ranger as arguments, maybe I misunderstood. Yes they gave unknown white males a chance at lead roles, but they bombed very bad for blockbusters. Still made money, but Hollywood seems to abide by "go big or go home". It makes executives less likely to continue giving these guys another chance, let alone females and minorities.

Also, the casting of Johansson was supported by Kodansha themselves: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scarlett-johansson-ghost-shell-japanese-885462

I know people were criticizing these comments saying they are just in it for the extra money, but I look at it as an opportunity for another Japanese series to be put in the spotlight, maybe get more people interested in the source material. Baby steps I guess.

border

Disney is not making Ghost in the Shell.

if Ghost in the Shell had the kind of cachet and pop cultural relevance that Star Wars does, Dreamworks/Paramount probably could and would cast whoever they want in the lead role.

The problem is that people who watch movies in America (and Europe, to some extent) subconsciously are less likely to want to see a movie with an Asian female lead (or Asian male for that matter). People like to watch films where they can connect with the actors and actresses and America's Asian population is relatively tiny compared to other races. Obviously it's easier to connect to someone you can relate with better. This means race does play a factor. That's an innate part of humanity. You can't change it.

This can work in inverse as well. It can work with gender too. But the process is slow. It takes a long time. You need to change the way an entire country thinks by slowly showing the audience that this different thing is ok. You can't force the issue. It will never work that way. The industry would collapse completely before it worked or (more likely) the people pushing it would go out of business and would be replaced by people without the same desire for social equality.

The industry is already collapsing with bad decisions. But for some reason an Asian lead is too risky right now.

Falchion

Hollywood may be slow to change and diversity but I'm super excited about her in this movie. It looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom