• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson Drops Out of Trans Role Amid Backlash

This is why you must never back down to these idiots, just like I don't back down to those idiots who scream racist at me on this forum. Nothing will ever be enough. Stand firm, tell them to fuck off, and let them know that under no circumstances you will not be changing anything.

its not
No its not quite that extreme because gay people are presently represented in Hollywood in both character and actors just fine. Straight people play gay people and gay people play straight people all the time. However Trans people are woefully underrepresented in both characters that are Trans and actors that are Trans. This is a perfect opportunity to cast a Trans actor in a starring role.

It also doesn't help that Johansson has already been cast in a role that should of gone to someone of another demographic (Ghost in the Shell) so casting her again in a role that should be going to an underrepresented minority is a really dumb move.

if representation there isnt we'll make it. if the talent isnt there well wait for it. "gay people get enough representation as it is". oppression olympics is a very real thing guys. its always funny how people move from the next "underrepresented people" to the next

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante’s story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person

Following the same logic, next time someone makes a movie about a drug cartel they'll be required to only cast real drug dealers. Next time someone makes a movie about a serial killer, they'll be required to only cast an actual real serial killer. Next time someone makes a movie about an HIV positive man, they'll be required to give the actor AIDS before he takes the role (sorry Tom Hanks).

etc. etc.

i.e. the notion this role should be automatically taken by a real transgender person is fucking absurd. What do they think a professional actor does? Hint: they act. This is once again evidence of the extreme left social media 'mob' shooting themselves in the foot as a result of their own stupidity.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
You'd be surprised where lowering standards happens for the sake of diversity:

It is as if that, if an organization or a company kowtows to the demands of the the latest and most abstract demands of social justice will find itself extremely difficult or impossible to perform its designated purpose in the first place.

Alx

So talking with some various folks about this issue, the main point of contention isn't that she's playing a transgender role. It's that she's playing a transgender role of a man. If it were a transgender female role, most folks probably wouldn't have made such a stink about it.

Doesn't it make more sense to have her play a transgender man than a transgender woman ? Being biologically female but impersonating a male character would mirror the transgender transition, and defend the concept that it's all about your identity and not your genes.

Last edited:
So people were angry at Scarlett because she was cast, she as a biological female to play a biological female who undertook no hormones but identified as male, dressed and lived as a male?

Ok so what if another biological female, with no hormones or gender reassignment surgery BUT she identified as male? Thats ok?

So saying words about who you are make all the difference now...?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So people were angry at Scarlett because she was cast, she as a biological female to play a biological female who undertook no hormones but identified as male, dressed and lived as a male?

Ok so what if another biological female, with no hormones or gender reassignment surgery BUT she identified as male? Thats ok?

So saying words about who you are make all the difference now...?

Pretty much. We seemingly live in a time where the youth's use of "IdPol labels" takes precedence (mainly on social media or collegiate circles).

They want to preach "inclusiveness and tolerance", yet segregate everyone with labels, and let said labels often define them like they are a product for sale, more than a human being using their character.

It is quite remarkable to witness from the outside looking in.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
So, let's say that I am a director/film producer in CURRENT YEAR(tm) and I wish to make a movie about Jesus Christ, what should I do?

Doesn't it make more sense to have her play a transgender man than a transgender woman ? Being biologically female but impersonating a male character would mirror the transgender transition, and defend the concept that it's all about your identity and not your genes.

Honestly, I'm still pretty confused about the whole entire thing. I argued that it was inoffensive and, if anything, just an overlooked opportunity to represent an underrepresented demographic in film and television. I've always believed that this is a pawn move to accomplish representation. The true goal would be representation in the workforce in general. Who plays the actor is irrelevant. To the point made previously, however, film and television is a business. People want to put butts in seats, so obviously they're going to cast recognizable names or try and rally some Oscar buzz to accomplish that. To that point people on the other side of the coin would argue that Scarlett could just as easily play one of the dozen other parts in the film that isn't offensive for her to play. It certainly doesn't help that she already was on the cross for Ghost in the Shell, but her double dipping (with the same director at that) is easily spun as a provocation to marginalized groups because of that previously established bad blood.

Makariel

Only actual klingons should play klingons.

She was fine in GitS, that the movie was disappointing was the fault of the script and not the actors. Maybe they could have cast an actual cyborg, but she was very convincing as emotionless cybernetic shell.

I guess she will survive, she will get another big cheque for playing a Russian superspy. Even though she is not Russian.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretty much. We seemingly live in a time where the youth's use of "IdPol labels" takes precedence (mainly on social media or collegiate circles).

They want to preach "inclusiveness and tolerance", yet segregate everyone with labels, and let said labels often define them like they are a product for sale, more than a human being using their character.

It is quite remarkable to witness from the outside looking in.

Quoting myself here, because holy shit, you can't make this up.

People literally dehumanizing THEMSELVES, by what I just said; comparing themselves to actual fucking products.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Speaking about Makariel Makariel 's post.

Should heterosexual people be portrayed and acted by heterosexual actors?

White people from white actors?

Christians from Christian actors and so forth?

Those persons do not realize they are proposing a segregation-based "representation"?

Speaking about Makariel Makariel 's post.

Should heterosexual people be portrayed and acted by heterosexual actors?

White people from white actors?

Christians from Christian actors and so forth?

Those persons do not realize they are proposing a segregation-based "representation"?

The argument is a bit more complex than that. The argument that they're trying (poorly) to present is that representation should be promoted at all costs in order to equal the playing field for marginalized groups. That's why we always see these massive outcries on social media over isolated examples like the OP. They aren't suggesting segregated casting. It definitely seems that way though. They're suggesting that trans individuals should be the vanguards of awareness, as to not misrepresent the gender identity or expression. They argue that, much like Leto playing a trans woman in Dallas Buyer's Club, ScarJo playing a trans man in this film is portraying a deception as to who they actually are. That they're still a woman, regardless of the transition from a woman to a man.

The hostility of the trans community toward cross dressers or drag is probably a good place to start when it comes to trying to understand why they consider this a big deal. The casting isn't meant to be argued as exclusive to trans roles. It's meant to be argued on the same level as minstrel acts.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Maybe they forgot about this little gem?

The Academy even gave Swank a best actress award. Maybe they should take it back ? It was actually a pretty powerful film but in today's day the production probably would of been shut down and a movie like this would never reach the public.

The good old days when outrage culture didn't have twitter and social media.

Social media really is the worst. It's given rise to armchair activism that would otherwise be swept aside by, you know, average people just getting by and living. Instead of punctuated, effective, true human rights activism, we're devolving into a cybersea of whiney brats that lack the social skills to inspire actual change in causes that may show value and merit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Do as we say, not as we do." - Elitism

And with this, we have quite the social dilemma:

Last edited:

dolabla

Social media really is the worst. It's given rise to armchair activism that would otherwise be swept aside by, you know, average people just getting by and living. Instead of punctuated, effective, true human rights activism, we're devolving into a cybersea of whiney brats that lack the social skills to inspire actual change in causes that may show value and merit.

It never ends with these people. If they cast a white trans actor, the new outrage will be they didn't cast a trans person of color or some other shit.

Social media going up in flames would do the world the biggest favor it has seen in long time.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So does that mean transgender actor's can't play male or female roles?

Helios

She was fine in GitS, that the movie was disappointing was the fault of the script and not the actors.
Wasn't there a controversy surrounding that too? Like she was not Japanese so it's "whitewashing" or some incredibly dumb shit like that?

Cato

Banned
Yeah good luck if this movie now is even being made. Johanson was someone who could have pushed this movie into mainstream now it will end up not being made or some low budget Indy Movie. Good job progressives and woke people

Very likely outcome. Get Woke, Go Broke.

See for more GWGB.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Wasn't there a controversy surrounding that too? Like she was not Japanese so it's "whitewashing" or some incredibly dumb shit like that?

Its not dumb to cast culturally appropriate actors in movies. Whitewashing is a very real problem in Hollywood and has been for years.

Some are subtle, but other are fucking egregious. Like Matt Damon being in a movie about the great wall or even the entirety of Gods of Egypt. Its absurd the kind of shit they try to get away with.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She played a Japanese robot before and it was a mediocre movie either way

Man these people are touchy motherfuckers

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its not dumb to cast culturally appropriate actors in movies. Whitewashing is a very real problem in Hollywood and has been for years.

Some are subtle, but other are fucking egregious. Like Matt Damon being in a movie about the great wall or even the entirety of Gods of Egypt. Its absurd the kind of shit they try to get away with.
Do you know what GiTS is? Almost nobody there looks Japanese cause anime and because they are androids/robots.

the problem with these examples always end up because people dont actually take a look at the fucking movie being made. they are silly action movies not intended to be taken seriously. everyone wants to be up in arms over everything when these movies are not moving any cultural needle the fact people got mad at these movies was beyond stupid.

Nobody_Important

the problem with these examples always end up because people dont actually take a look at the fucking movie being made. they are silly action movies not intended to be taken seriously. everyone wants to be up in arms over everything when these movies are not moving any cultural needle the fact people got mad at these movies was beyond stupid.

So excluding appropriate minorities from films is okay so long as its just for the laughs?

Thats certainly one way to look at it I guess.

Nobody_Important

People are posting Fox News here now? And Tucker Carlson too, lol

Fox News I could understand in some cases. Like Shep Smith is good people. He is the only person at Fox who gives a shit and actually still has his integrity, but Tucker Carlson? lol Really?

Last edited:
So excluding appropriate minorities from films is okay so long as its just for the laughs?

Thats certainly one way to look at it I guess.

they excluded? is this something you know for a fact? you cant just lie because it fits your narrative. movies have movies stars and famous actors. if this is something you dont like you shouldnt watch movies

"everything in movies and the movie industry is fake and make believe and they dont in fact have to cast anyone in any specific role for any specific reason but boy if you dont have the appropriate people i will be furious"

acting is about playing a role and being someone who youre not?
:unsure:
who knew

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

they excluded? is this something you know for a fact? you cant just lie because it fits your narrative. movies have movies stars and famous actors. if this is something you dont like you shouldnt watch movies
Ghost in the Shell was a Japanese franchise that featured Japanese characters and an American was cast as the lead over an Asian actress. Thats not a lie. Thats reality. You can argue whether or not star power played a part or not, but that doesn't make it okay. Whitewashing and miscasting is a massive problem in Hollywood, but at the very least this story is proof that its becoming less tolerated.

So all things considered things are moving in the right direction.

I don't see a problem. If people post CNN here, why not Fox news?

Posting something from Tucker Carlson is like posting something from Alex Jones or Sean Hannity in my opinion. Its just drivel with very little factual basis. Say what you want about CNN and its bias towards the left, but people like Anderson Cooper, Erin Burnet and Jake Tapper don't openly mock their guests on a regular basis and regularly lie on live TV like Carlson or Hannity.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
I don't see a problem. If people post CNN here, why not Fox news?

Because Fox News is not news, its entertainment. I know they have Chris Wallace and Shep Smith, but that does not equal out with all the BS noise of Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, and Laura Ingram.

Last edited:
Ghost in the Shell was a Japanese franchise that featured Japanese characters and an American was cast as the lead over an Asian actress. Thats not a lie. Thats reality. You can argue whether or not star power played a part or not, but that doesn't make it okay. Whitewashing and miscasting is a massive problem in Hollywood, but at the very least this story is proof that its becoming less tolerated.

then you should be really angry at the indian film industry i mean they not only take peoples movies ideas but they cast all indian in roles made for other races tsk tsk

but that doesn't make it okay.

no actually it is okay. if its their movie they can make it however they want. they arent doing anything morally or ethically wrong but people love the moral high ground. they dont 'owe' anyone to cast them

Last edited:
Top Bottom