• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson Drops Out of Trans Role Amid Backlash

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am. And I will clarify myself so you know why. I have seen this girl here. I have see people who believe that they should be blind. I have seen people who believe that they should be missing an arm or a leg. I believe that most of us here will look at the examples I mentioned and we will think that they may not be alright in their heads.

You can, if you wish, show me studies that you have stating this or the other and maybe they are true. That does not mean I cannot see a correlation between a Trans, as you put it, and the examples I mentioned. I know in my head that correlation and causation are two different things.

I am, like most people, more likely to group things that seem similar together. I look at a mess of things, and I want to organize them. Tell me, and I am being as sincere as I possibly can be, how to differentiate between Trans and the Horse girl up there. Don't pull up a graph or send me to some website that I won't understand. I am asking you to do it. Kindly and with respect. If you can, keep your words simple so I can understand.

I don't think of myself as a hateful man. I try to be humble and learn new things. Please, help me?

You don't have to group them together just because it's easier to organize in your head. Gender and sexuality are spectrum based and not binary. Meaning that they scale. There's no "yes" or "no" switch. There's no "on" and "off" switch. So far scientist have found out that it's DNA and hormone-based as to where we all end up on that spectrum. So basically being Trans isn't something that's wrong with their minds. It's the core of who they are. Read this here.

There are thought to be 3 major factors in development, Chemical/Hormonal, Genetic and Environmental.
We know from brain studies that men and women have small yet specific and identifiable structures in the brain that are different in size and proportion. When the brains of transgender persons are analyzed they almost always consistently match the bain structure of their adopted gender not their birth sex. Male to female transsexuals have female brain structures. These changes are thought to be caused due to hormonal or chemical imbalances that cause the wrong hormones to be expressed prenatally. The sample sizes are small in these studies due to the low number of transgender persons brains for medical study after death, but research is ongoing. There is a consistent trend even with the small and growing sample size.​
BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
During one stage of a baby's development if the body produces male hormones the baby's genitals will become male and if the body produces female hormones then the genitals will be female. This can even happen in opposition to the genetic sex of the baby. Ref: Prenatal hormones, sexual orientation and gender
There is also a second wash of sex hormones that occurs while the brain is developing. It is thought by some researchers that crossing the wrong hormones at that time is what leads to transgender issues. Studies with animals has shown that purposely giving an animal the wrong hormones during that brain development stage will cause the animal to exhibit mating behaviors of the opposite sex even if the genitals match their genetic sex.
Genetics may also play a part in the hormones not being as effective or the baby being more sensitive to hormonal imbalances that might cause Gender Issues and the child to become Transgender. So two of the three factors are in some way hormonally based and prenatal hormones can be affected by stress, medications, pollutants, disease and numerous other things.​
The last factor is the environment that children grow up in but that seems to be the least likely cause. The simple fact is that children raised in an environment with other same sex siblings only a year or two apart can still show gender nonconformity even though no other siblings do.​
WHEN DO THEY KNOW?
The last part to address is when. From my first hand experience both with myself and with others, most transgender people know they are uncomfortable with their gender from early on. The question tends to be how long does it take for that discomfort to become unbearable or how long can they fool themselves into thinking they are their assigned sex.​
Certainly some people may come to the realization later in life but even then many of them had other gender nonconforming behaviors before that such as occasional cross dressing. The ages for transition can be at any age but the ages for when they knew they felt more like a girl (or boy) tends to average much lower. In many people like myself, as low as early childhood and as young as 6.​

Last edited:

Barsinister

Banned
mckmas8808 mckmas8808 I will not quote you, but I did read what you provided. I know my sarcasms can be subtle, but I am being sincere right now. Thank you. I understand what was provided. I will not deny that it is compelling.

When the brains of transgender persons are analyzed they almost always...

Why almost? I would imagine it to be consistent. What accounts for the times that they are not?

It is thought by some researchers that crossing the wrong hormones at that time is what leads to transgender issues.

Thought but not known. I do know that some things that work on theory cannot be rightly explained. Is this one of those cases?

Genetics may also play a part in the hormones not being as effective or the baby

Same question.

I am not looking to deliberately contradict what I am reading. These thoughts came into my head. I don't expect you to go any further than you already have in helping me. I'm not a doctor or a scientist, but I can reason a thing out pretty well if I'm given enough time. It does not help with a person's desire to group things, I don't think there is a way to help that. I will continue to value the individual above everything else. That seems to be the best course of action.

Ulysses 31

I give you gods of Egypt.. but the wall?
Given that the ancient Egyptians were genetically more similar to ancient Romans than sub-Saharan Africans , it's not so weird that white actors played those parts. Anthropologist agree on this.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Would you be okay if a black person played as bruce wayne/batman then?
Not a great example. Bruce Wayne is an established character. Changing his race/gender would mess with the canon.

I would have no issue with a gay actor playing him, however. As long as the character himself remains straight (as per canon). I wouldn't even have an issue if a black actor played him, as long as Batman remains white. Maybe use make up or digital effects (similar to how they used a white actor play a black man in Tropic Thunder). As long as Batman remains canon, you can use whoever you want. So it's not about the actor, it's about the character.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Given that the ancient Egyptians were genetically more similar to ancient Romans than sub-Saharan Africans , it's not so weird that white actors played those parts. Anthropologist agree on this.

And this is where things always get weird, because "certain" people will claim Egypt for themselves yet no other country in Africa's (the whole continent) history. When it came to traditions and religions the people of Ancient Egypt had more in common with other areas of Africa that you'd consider "Black" than they did with Rome or Greece. Yet here we are seeing another person claim that Ancient Egypt was white. SMH.

It never ends......

Ulysses 31

And this is where things always get weird, because "certain" people will claim Egypt for themselves yet no other country in Africa's (the whole continent) history. When it came to traditions and religions the people of Ancient Egypt had more in common with other areas of Africa that you'd consider "Black" than they did with Rome or Greece. Yet here we are seeing another person claim that Ancient Egypt was white. SMH.

It never ends......
Well, it's more accurate than the "We wuz Kangs" narrative.

And yeah certain people like those at the Max Planck Institute for the science of human history who studied genome data from ancient mummies.

MilkyJoe

You don't have to group them together just because it's easier to organize in your head. Gender and sexuality are spectrum based and not binary. Meaning that they scale. There's no "yes" or "no" switch. There's no "on" and "off" switch. So far scientist have found out that it's DNA and hormone-based as to where we all end up on that spectrum. So basically being Trans isn't something that's wrong with their minds. It's the core of who they are. Read this here.

There are thought to be 3 major factors in development, Chemical/Hormonal, Genetic and Environmental.
We know from brain studies that men and women have small yet specific and identifiable structures in the brain that are different in size and proportion. When the brains of transgender persons are analyzed they almost always consistently match the bain structure of their adopted gender not their birth sex. Male to female transsexuals have female brain structures. These changes are thought to be caused due to hormonal or chemical imbalances that cause the wrong hormones to be expressed prenatally. The sample sizes are small in these studies due to the low number of transgender persons brains for medical study after death, but research is ongoing. There is a consistent trend even with the small and growing sample size.​
BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
During one stage of a baby's development if the body produces male hormones the baby's genitals will become male and if the body produces female hormones then the genitals will be female. This can even happen in opposition to the genetic sex of the baby. Ref: Prenatal hormones, sexual orientation and gender
There is also a second wash of sex hormones that occurs while the brain is developing. It is thought by some researchers that crossing the wrong hormones at that time is what leads to transgender issues. Studies with animals has shown that purposely giving an animal the wrong hormones during that brain development stage will cause the animal to exhibit mating behaviors of the opposite sex even if the genitals match their genetic sex.
Genetics may also play a part in the hormones not being as effective or the baby being more sensitive to hormonal imbalances that might cause Gender Issues and the child to become Transgender. So two of the three factors are in some way hormonally based and prenatal hormones can be affected by stress, medications, pollutants, disease and numerous other things.​
The last factor is the environment that children grow up in but that seems to be the least likely cause. The simple fact is that children raised in an environment with other same sex siblings only a year or two apart can still show gender nonconformity even though no other siblings do.​
WHEN DO THEY KNOW?
The last part to address is when. From my first hand experience both with myself and with others, most transgender people know they are uncomfortable with their gender from early on. The question tends to be how long does it take for that discomfort to become unbearable or how long can they fool themselves into thinking they are their assigned sex.​
Certainly some people may come to the realization later in life but even then many of them had other gender nonconforming behaviors before that such as occasional cross dressing. The ages for transition can be at any age but the ages for when they knew they felt more like a girl (or boy) tends to average much lower. In many people like myself, as low as early childhood and as young as 6.​

I didn't know the ins and outs, but i assumed it was something like this. However, I don't believe this holds water for the sudden surge in trans and "non binary students" out there. I'd look more to impressionable, adolescent minds.

mckmas8808

Well, it's more accurate than the "We wuz Kangs" narrative.

And yeah certain people like those at the Max Planck Institute for the science of human history who studied genome data from ancient mummies.

Okay and the first thing I see is this from the article you posted.

successfully recovered and analyzed ancient DNA from Egyptian mummies dating from approximately 1400 BCE to 400 CE, including the first genome-wide nuclear data from three individuals, establishing ancient Egyptian mummies as a reliable source for genetic material to study the ancient past

That's a wide date range. Now I know that with excavations like this it's hard to pinpoint a date range as small as 100 years to be more accurate. But there right here is a 1,800 year range. That's almost two THOUSANDS years! Think about it this way. The year right now is 2018. Subtract 1800 years from today and what year do we get? The year 218 CE. Think about how much the world has changed since the year 218 CE. That's just 150 years or so after the death of Jesus Christ (Off-Topic: it doesn't matter if you believe in Christianity for this point because the man himself clearly lived even if you don't believe he did the things that he did).

Back on topic, so what big/major thing happened around 330 BCE?

In the autumn of 332 BC., Alexander the Great conquered Egypt an event that marked the beginning of the Greek period in Egyptian history. He had captured Gaza and led his forces towards Pelusium, the eastern gateway to Egypt. Advancing to expel the Persians from Egypt, he met no resistance either from the Egyptians or from the Persian garrison at the frontier. Thus, he entered Egypt easily and soon afterwards took his forces across the Nile to arrive at the capital Memphis. Alexander was welcomed by the Egyptians as a triumphant deliverer, and held a festival in the Greek style to celebrate the occasion. As his engineers started to work on their plans, Alexander went on a pilgrimage to the temple of Amun at Siwa Oasis. On entering the temple, the priests gave Alexander a warm welcome. Afterwards, he was able to declare himself the son of the god Amun Re, in order to win the respect and veneration of the Egyptians. The time Alexander spent in Egypt was just six months (from the autumn of 332 BC. to the spring of 331 BC.). However, his brief stay was full of reforms and events that put Egypt within the orbit of Greek civilisation in the Mediterranean. Alexander wished to return to Egypt to enjoy the fruits of what he had sown, but he never did in his lifetime. He did, however, come back in the form of a mummy mounted on a carriage that took him to his burial place.

Click here to read more

So if you look at the date range after Alexander the Great conquered Egypt to the end of the date range for this genome collection it's a period of 700+ years. Of course at that time you'd have a lot of Greek and other mixing in the DNA. And to be honest many parts of Egypt were like New York City or major cities in Brazil where there were multiple races of people that traveled and lived there.

I didn't know the ins and outs, but i assumed it was something like this. However, I don't believe this holds water for the sudden surge in trans and "non binary students" out there. I'd look more to impressionable, adolescent minds.

Well the way to understand that is to know that when an environment is more hostile to you, you're more likely to hide it from soceity. I'm pretty sure during the 60s and 70s many Americans "thought" the amount of gay people were on the raise, yet it was mainly people starting to feel okay with let people know how they really where.

Also think about it this way. Many people think that Autism in babies is on the raise, when it can easily be argued that Autism awareness is increasing making it "look" like Autism is on the raise. If people are more aware of what it means to be Trans, it's understandable that they'll come out and live their true life instead of shooting themselves in the head (due to confusion and frustration) and us not knowing why they did it.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Well the way to understand that is to know that when an environment is more hostile to you, you're more likely to hide it from soceity. I'm pretty sure during the 60s and 70s many Americans "thought" the amount of gay people were on the raise, yet it was mainly people starting to feel okay with let people know how they really where.

Also think about it this way. Many people think that Autism in babies is on the raise, when it can easily be argued that Autism awareness is increasing making it "look" like Autism is on the raise. If people are more aware of what it means to be Trans, it's understandable that they'll come out and live their true life instead of shooting themselves in the head (due to confusion and frustration) and us not knowing why they did it.

Of course, but I find it very hard to believe that every trans identifying kid out there is the real deal and not just going through a phase. If the woman trapped in a man's body was true across the board, then i'd wager you would see less trans female lesbians, less dressing like a parody of how a female dresses, and instead dressing like an actual female would dress.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

snip

The research accounted for this possibility:

The team wanted to determine if the investigated ancient populations were affected at the genetic level by foreign conquest and domination during the time period under study, and compared these populations to modern Egyptian comparative populations. “We wanted to test if the conquest of Alexander the Great and other foreign powers has left a genetic imprint on the ancient Egyptian population,” explains Verena Schuenemann, group leader at the University of Tuebingen and one of the lead authors of this study.

The genetics of the Abusir el-Meleq community did not undergo any major shifts during the 1,300 year timespan we studied, suggesting that the population remained genetically relatively unaffected by foreign conquest and rule

Last edited:

mckmas8808

The research accounted for this possibility:

In this one community over those 1,300 years. Acient Egypt that we know started around 3,100 BCE. That's 1,600 years before the oldest possible mummy that they dug up in this spot. Again to think that Ancient Egyptians looked closer to this......

Screen-Shot-2016-06-02-at-9.54.48-PM.png

that the below photos is crazy to me......

main-qimg-bfed494fec97b8ad09eee3cea9ac1bb4.webp

main-qimg-ca41e2fd3ef3742f7e3c4d4c8612c4a4.webp

main-qimg-6579be4800053fc3b07a54a6f9483ceb.webp

main-qimg-4285c5ab8e4777e31a4c2954b3d7925c.webp

Now to take it back to Ancient times.....

main-qimg-f4ac842c1bc475545eb0de0b1e5fbbce.webp

Detail of a wall painting showing Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye, from the Tomb of Ameneminet, a priest of Ptah-Sokar. History

main-qimg-31e013b9b516f41bda1ecc831cebcb4d.webp

King Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye.Ancient Egypt- walk in their sandals…

main-qimg-7d9baa2be15fcc88d638a01136b749a6.webp

Egyptologists have discovered a statue of Queen Ti, wife of one of Egypt's greatest pharaohs and grandmother to the boy-king Tutankhamun, at an ancient temple in Luxor, an Egyptian antiquities official said. The roughly 3,400-year-old statue was well-preserved. Ti's husband, Amenhotep III, presided over an era which saw a renaissance in Egyptian art. A number of cartouches, or royal name signs, of Amenhotep III were found on the statue.

Now think why would later civilizations come through and cut the "nose" off of a statue like this? Could it be due to a specific body characteristic that tends to lean more Negoid than Caucasian? I think one thing that always gets lost in this type of discussion is that alot of people don't know what it means to be so-called "black". The version of what a black person is seems to be alot more narrower than the reality that we live in.

Also you can watch about 15 minutes of this video, where you talks about ancient civilisation and how the people from Sub Sahara Africa influenced and first travelled to Ancient Egypt with knowledge of astronomy, farming, swimming, etc. These are people that lived 8,000 years ago around the year 6,000 BCE.

Last edited:
Not a great example. Bruce Wayne is an established character. Changing his race/gender would mess with the canon.

I would have no issue with a gay actor playing him, however. As long as the character himself remains straight (as per canon). I wouldn't even have an issue if a black actor played him, as long as Batman remains white. Maybe use make up or digital effects (similar to how they used a white actor play a black man in Tropic Thunder). As long as Batman remains canon, you can use whoever you want. So it's not about the actor, it's about the character.

What is your opinion on Nicky Fury for MCU?

Ulysses 31

Instead of getting mad at them, why not get upset with a movie company that isn't even trying to find a Trans actress to do the role?
Because you don't need to be the person you're acting as. That's why it's called acting.

And I'm not mad, I was just poking fun at SJWs who think they're fighting for a good cause but often end up making things worse, in this case having no movie at all with a trans character instead of one with Hollywood star power.

mckmas8808

Because you don't need to be the person you're acting as. That's why it's called acting.

And I'm not mad, I was just poking fun at SJWs who think they're fighting for a good cause but often end up making things worse, in this case having no movie at all with a trans character instead of one with Hollywood star power.

And that's what's wrong with so many companies in Hollywood. Some production companies believe that a movie is only worth making if the lead is super recognizable.

precious_ver4.jpg

MV5BYWY0ZDI0MzItYmM2OC00ZGI3LWFhZWMtMjgwMjJkNWI5ZDE0L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ@@._V1_.jpg

This movie was made for $10 million and ended up making $50 million and got many awards. Budget it right and they could have had a hit on their hands.

Ulysses 31

And that's what's wrong with so many companies in Hollywood. Some production companies believe that a movie is only worth making if the lead is super recognizable.
Well if you're implying that that company thinks that only Scarlet could play that trans role, then yeah that's something they'd need to give some insight on if that were the case.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

On principle it's silly to limit what actors can play. But I can understand the anger. Majority of trans actors can't pass for the sex they've transfered into. So essentially roles of trans-folks are all they have, so to see even them taken away must feel really sucky.

Grinchy

Banned
There's one example of a trans person playing a cis character recently that I can think of. It was in Goliath, season 2. There's a female judge played by trans woman. I didn't realize it at first, so I spent the first couple episodes staring at the screen trying to figure out why she looked and sounded "off" but then I realized it after the character was on screen a handful of times.

I don't really remember feeling any outrage about how cis characters need the authenticity of cis actors to properly capture what it's like to be cis. In the end, the actor did a fine job and the season was terrible anyway. I just don't think I can ever jump on this outrage bandwagon about how cis actors must not be allowed to play trans characters but it's ok the other way around.

It's the whole "punching up" scenario again (AKA white people can only make jokes about white people and everyone else can do what they want). And it's like the "racism is predjudice plus power" fantasy (AKA only white people can be racist). People need to stop treating their favorite team in such a special way and come around to the idea of actual equality where everyone is treated the same and not the fantasy version where your team gets special treatment.

mckmas8808

i mean everything you just said is like some form of mental problem. if someone has a problem with testosterone development or a part of the brain hasnt developed in a way that isnt corresponding to the body then thats an issue.

So it's an issue.....then what? Because it's not the type of issue that can be "fixed" you know what I mean? It's not like you can give someone pills for a few weeks and the "Trans" will go away.

Alfadawg

Banned
This was a bit of an own goal me thinks.

The film would have been high profile and bring a lot of attention to trans issues.

Now it'll probably fall through or get released quietly and be forgotten

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just cast Jaime Clayton from Sense8 and she should have enough of a following for success.

However, I believe wether you like ScarJo or not, her worldwide box office appeal would have reached more eyes.

mckmas8808

This was a bit of an own goal me thinks.

The film would have been high profile and bring a lot of attention to trans issues.

Now it'll probably fall through or get released quietly and be forgotten

The real truth is Scarlett Johansson is a bigger name than the quality of her acting. The only way it would have brought alot of attention to Trans issues is if she had an incredible performance like Heath Leader in The Dark Knight, Jamie Foxx in RAY, or Allison Janney in "i Tonya".

And do we really think Scarlett has that in her?

Alfadawg

Banned
They probably wanted a big name.

The reality is, very few people will go watch this film without a big name attached and how many big name trans actors are there?

Like I said, the trans community shot themselves in the foot for a hollow victory.

I'd be surprised if there really was an outrage or if most the people shouting weren't even trans

mckmas8808

Just cast Jaime Clayton from Sense8 and she should have enough of a following for success.

However, I believe wether you like ScarJo or not, her worldwide box office appeal would have reached more eyes.

I swear Hollywood doesn't even try. I'm not sure about her acting but how does a person on GAF like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma find this actress and Hollywood just goes for the big name that can barely do one emotional scene in a movie like ScarJo?!?!?!

jamie-big.jpg

Nomi_Sense8_Netflix.jpg

They probably wanted a big name.

The reality is, very few people will go watch this film without a big name attached and how many big name trans actors are there?

Like I said, the trans community shot themselves in the foot for a hollow victory.

I'd be surprised if there really was an outrage or if most the people shouting weren't even trans

I just showed you a movie called "Precious" that made 5 Times its money back and won many movie awards with a lead actor that literally NO ONE knew about. Is the studio just trying to make money or did they really care about the story and making a strong message?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I swear Hollywood doesn't even try. I'm not sure about her acting but how does a person on GAF like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma find this actress and Hollywood just goes for the big name that can barely do one emotional scene in a movie like ScarJo?!?!?!

jamie-big.jpg

Nomi_Sense8_Netflix.jpg

She was great in Sense8, in fact, I thought all the actors were. I liked the show, if you have not seen it, I highly recommend it. The plot was very, very fascinating/thought provoking, but I expect nothing less from those who brought us The Matrix.

Last edited:

precious_ver4.jpg

MV5BYWY0ZDI0MzItYmM2OC00ZGI3LWFhZWMtMjgwMjJkNWI5ZDE0L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ@@._V1_.jpg

This movie was made for $10 million and ended up making $50 million and got many awards. Budget it right and they could have had a hit on their hands.

I just poked my head in this thread wondering why it keeps getting bumped.

This is a quality post. But let the Klansmen tell it, "black people need to get better at acting."

And did you see Mariah Carey in this??? Mannnnnnn she she KILT it!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just showed you a movie called "Precious" that made 5 Times its money back and won many movie awards with a lead actor that literally NO ONE knew about. Is the studio just trying to make money or did they really care about the story and making a strong message?

Agreed with that, but also, there were big names attached to the production. Oprah and Tyler Perry, and it was advertised as such. Precious was a great film by the way.

Last edited:
In this one community over those 1,300 years. Acient Egypt that we know started around 3,100 BCE. That's 1,600 years before the oldest possible mummy that they dug up in this spot. Again to think that Ancient Egyptians looked closer to this......

Screen-Shot-2016-06-02-at-9.54.48-PM.png

that the below photos is crazy to me......

main-qimg-bfed494fec97b8ad09eee3cea9ac1bb4.webp

main-qimg-ca41e2fd3ef3742f7e3c4d4c8612c4a4.webp

main-qimg-6579be4800053fc3b07a54a6f9483ceb.webp

main-qimg-4285c5ab8e4777e31a4c2954b3d7925c.webp

Now to take it back to Ancient times.....

main-qimg-f4ac842c1bc475545eb0de0b1e5fbbce.webp

Detail of a wall painting showing Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye, from the Tomb of Ameneminet, a priest of Ptah-Sokar. History

main-qimg-31e013b9b516f41bda1ecc831cebcb4d.webp

King Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye.Ancient Egypt- walk in their sandals…

main-qimg-7d9baa2be15fcc88d638a01136b749a6.webp

Egyptologists have discovered a statue of Queen Ti, wife of one of Egypt's greatest pharaohs and grandmother to the boy-king Tutankhamun, at an ancient temple in Luxor, an Egyptian antiquities official said. The roughly 3,400-year-old statue was well-preserved. Ti's husband, Amenhotep III, presided over an era which saw a renaissance in Egyptian art. A number of cartouches, or royal name signs, of Amenhotep III were found on the statue.

Now think why would later civilizations come through and cut the "nose" off of a statue like this? Could it be due to a specific body characteristic that tends to lean more Negoid than Caucasian? I think one thing that always gets lost in this type of discussion is that alot of people don't know what it means to be so-called "black". The version of what a black person is seems to be alot more narrower than the reality that we live in.

Also you can watch about 15 minutes of this video, where you talks about ancient civilisation and how the people from Sub Sahara Africa influenced and first travelled to Ancient Egypt with knowledge of astronomy, farming, swimming, etc. These are people that lived 8,000 years ago around the year 6,000 BCE.

Umm

C5GEwKMVYAAPUvv.jpg

Airola

The real truth is Scarlett Johansson is a bigger name than the quality of her acting.

I kinda agree with that. She kinda got a bit of cult fame from Ghost World, and then got more name from Lost in Translation for whatever reason (I would say that movie is famous mostly just because of the curiosity of Bill Murray being in a more serious drama role). Then, after that, I have no idea what she's done but I do know people were into her also because of her voluptous frame which made her be a name that was searched online more than others at that time. There's really nothing in her works that have stayed with me.

But it's clear though that she is still very high up in the fame scale. There must be some reason for that and I think I'm not that good at predicting what kind of acting the general people like considering I thought Matthew McGonaughey was really unimpressive in True Detective.

Heath Leader in The Dark Knight

Heath Leader sounds like an 80's action character. Or a televangelist.

cryptoadam

Banned
I kinda agree with that. She kinda got a bit of cult fame from Ghost World, and then got more name from Lost in Translation for whatever reason (I would say that movie is famous mostly just because of the curiosity of Bill Murray being in a more serious drama role). Then, after that, I have no idea what she's done but I do know people were into her also because of her voluptous frame which made her be a name that was searched online more than others at that time. There's really nothing in her works that have stayed with me.

But it's clear though that she is still very high up in the fame scale. There must be some reason for that and I think I'm not that good at predicting what kind of acting the general people like considering I thought Matthew McGonaughey was really unimpressive in True Detective.

Heath Leader sounds like an 80's action character. Or a televangelist.

Black Widow.

That charachter went from a bit player to one of the favourites in the marvel universe and it made Scar Jo's stock sore.

Airola

Black Widow.

That charachter went from a bit player to one of the favourites in the marvel universe and it made Scar Jo's stock sore.

Unpopular opinion:
Marvel is a name that makes anyone performing any of their characters famous, no matter how memorable or good the performance is ;)

But yeah, I guess you are right. I didn't even remember she was part of some of those movies. But then again, I don't really remember those movies that much either.

EDIT:
By the way, I looked at what's the newest thing she's in on imdb. It was Black Widow. For some stupid reason I thought it was a new version of Black Dahlia :D And even when reading your post I first thought you meant Black Dahlia with Black Widow and I though, wait, was she in a movie about Black Dahlia. Only when you mentioned Marvel I facepalmed and was embarrassed for a moment :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom