• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson Drops Out of Trans Role Amid Backlash

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
-----------------> The Point

*Your Head*
Whitewashing doesn't apply to this at all considering what is based on but ok. Like I said it seems you know nothing about GiTS outside that is from Japan.

Is Roland from The Dark Tower Blackwashing? Cause Roland had a whole thing in the book about being white...

Last edited by a moderator:

Helios

Its not dumb to cast culturally appropriate actors in movies. Whitewashing is a very real problem in Hollywood and has been for years.
I guess they were too lazy to find some proper robot representation, god damn Hollywood.
Here's the thing: I agree that if you want a historically accurate movie you should cast people that fit in. But trying to say that a Sci-Fi anime located in a fictional Japanese city couldn't have a Caucasian is ridiculous.
I don't mind BBC casting a black actor for Robin Hood , even though that's extremely unlikely given the time period. I do mind when they try to tell me that Margaret of Anjou was African.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
then you should be really angry at the indian film industry i mean they not only take peoples movies ideas but they cast all indian in roles made for other races tsk tsk
The Indian film industry is based in India and its movies release mainly to an Indian audience and has mainly Indian actors to pull from so them casting people of Indian decent in other roles is unfortunate, but essentially unavoidable.

Hollywood meanwhile is an international film hub that has access to people from all walks of life that come from all over the world.

So that comparison doesn't hold water so long as you think about longer than a few seconds. Nice try though.

The Indian film industry is based in India and its movies release mainly to an Indian audience and has mainly Indian actors to pull from so them casting people of Indian decent in other roles is unfortunate, but essentially unavoidable.

Hollywood meanwhile is an international film hub that has access to people from all walks of life that come from all over the world.

So that comparison doesn't hold water so long as you think about longer than a few seconds. Nice try though.

i was actually being sarcastic but nice try in not understanding that

Nobody_Important

no actually it is okay. if its their movie they can make it however they want. they arent doing anything morally or ethically wrong but people love the moral high ground. they dont 'owe' anyone to cast them

And thats true they can make whatever they want and cast whoever they want........but that doesn't mean jack shit in the realm of public opinion. This story is proof of that. Public backlash can and almost always will trump what a studio wants to do. Thank god for that.

llien

intense online criticism
I don't want to live on this planet any more.

Hollywood doesn't like to make movies without recognizable stars because they think casting actors with name recognition will drive more ticket sales. I'm not condoning it. Just saying that's how it is.
Hollywood is doing it because that's how ticket sales actually work, they didn't invent the system, just noticed it.

Or when Charlese Theron played an ugly woman in Monster?
Wow.

But they don't want a biological woman to play a trans man, who is a biological woman. So a biological man should be able to play the role instead of SJ since they feel a man is a man whether biological or gender transitioned.
No, that's a flawed argument as biological man would not know "trans" aspect of it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Read on filmstarts yesterday that the whole movie is in jeopardy now that Johansson dropped out and hence probably won't be made. loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It was most likely their intention to have this movie cancelled. ScarJo is meh imo but she sells tickets.

chaos789

Banned
I am confused by this. She is an actress right and her job is to pretend to be someone else. They should have just cast a transgender to begin with.

Some of this stuff is getting really extreme. I got banned from resetera for transphobia. The reason they said I was transphobic was because I said I did not want to engage in sexual activity with a transperson, but said I feel they should be afforded the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. Got banned anyway.
With that logic, I guess refusing to have sex with a homosexual would make me homophobic.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I got banned from resetera for transphobia. The reason they said I was transphobic was because I said I did not want to engage in sexual activity with a transperson

I don't mean to derail but this smells of bullcrap to me. I know Reset can be bonkers when it comes to moderation, but that can't be it. You have to have worded it in a way that is offensive or something. I would need to see the actual post before I believed it they banned you for something like that.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mean to derail but this smells of bullcrap to me. I know Reset can be bonkers when it comes to moderation, but that can't be it. You have to have worded it in a way that is offensive or something. I would need to see the actual post before I believed it they banned you for something like that.

Nobody_Important

I don't want videos covering the general topic. I wanna see what he specifically posted and a link to the post that got him banned. He claims that they banned him solely for saying that he would not date a Trans person and for no other reason. I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe even with their ridiculous rules.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I am confused by this. She is an actress right and her job is to pretend to be someone else. They should have just cast a transgender to begin with.

Some of this stuff is getting really extreme. I got banned from resetera for transphobia. The reason they said I was transphobic was because I said I did not want to engage in sexual activity with a transperson, but said I feel they should be afforded the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. Got banned anyway.
With that logic, I guess refusing to have sex with a homosexual would make me homophobic.
Some Trans radicals are also accusing cis lesbians of transphobia because they prefer "real" women over trans ones, it's just another variation of you're with us or against us from an ideologically possessed mob.

Ulysses 31

I don't want videos covering the general topic. I wanna see what he specifically posted and a link to the post that got him banned. He claims that they banned him solely for saying that he would not date a Trans person and for no other reason. I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe even with their ridiculous rules.
Have you been in the off-topic community tread? There are plenty of examples and screenshots of silly ban reasons, one was "accusing journalists of false reporting" in the recent guild wars 2 drama.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Theres a page dedicated to dumb reee bans but I can't find it rn :/

Nobody_Important

Have you been in the off-topic community tread? There are plenty of examples and screenshots of silly ban reasons, one was "accusing journalists of false reporting" in the recent guild wars 2 drama.

Once again. I don't care about what other people have said and done. He said he was banned for something very specific and I find it absurd and hard to believe. I don't care what other people have been banned for. Other people being banned for things doesn't automatically make his claim true.

If he doesn't wanna back up his claim then thats fine. I was merely pointing out I found it hard to believe.

Last edited:
Once again. I don't care about what other people have said and done. He said he was banned for something very specific and I find it absurd and hard to believe. I don't care what other people have been banned for. Other people being banned for things doesn't automatically make his claim true.

If he doesn't wanna back up his claim then thats fine. I was merely pointing out I found it hard to believe.

he doesnt have to prove anything to you

Nobody_Important

At least bring up a logical fallacy or lie in the video before implying it's completely wrong because it came from Fox News.

Its not likely incorrect because its from Fox News. Its likely wrong because its from Tucker Carlson who is a half step down from Hannity who is on the same level as loons like Alex Jones at this point. You can hardly blame someone for being skeptical of Carlson and Hannity at this point given their output in the last 2 years. Its tin foil hat territory at this point and that is not a good look.

he doesnt have to prove anything to you

I never said he did. I simply stated I found his claim to be highly unlikely. If he wants to back up his claim to prove me wrong then thats fine. If not then I am gonna go ahead and dismiss the claim based on the context of it. It incredibly unlikely to me that they would ban him JUST for that. They are insanely over the top with their moderation in terms of punishment, but each and every warning and ban has a sliver of truth to it. I refuse to believe someone said "I won't date Trans people." then left it at that and then was banned for it. There is more to that story if its true.

Last edited:

Tumle

Its not dumb to cast culturally appropriate actors in movies. Whitewashing is a very real problem in Hollywood and has been for years.

Some are subtle, but other are fucking egregious. Like Matt Damon being in a movie about the great wall or even the entirety of Gods of Egypt. Its absurd the kind of shit they try to get away with.
I give you gods of Egypt.. but the wall? He is not portraying a Chinese guy but a European taking the Silk Road.. what the hell?
Both movies sucked though

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Considering its old gaf I belive him

Old gaf was shit and any opinion outside the circlejerk meant a ban

Nobody_Important

He is not portraying a Chinese guy but a European taking the Silk Road

I know that, but the trailers and promotional material did a poor job of showing that. All people saw was whitest white guy ever Matt Damon (And I say that as a white guy myself) on the cover of posters of a movie called "The Great Wall".

Its just not a good look.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned

I wish I was making it up, but I am not. It was not a perma ban, but a 2 week ban. I should have clarified the length, sorry about that. The thread revolved around transgender individuals having difficulty finding partners or something. I made a comment saying as a straight male I would not have sex or a relationship with a transgender. Perhaps they misunderstood my comments, but I received a ban and it stated due to transphobia. A few people got banned on that thread before being closed down.

Last edited:

klosos

So one of the biggest actress on the planet Scarlett johannsson ( i think shes overrated but whatever ) was going to star in a film about a transgender man , which would of bought a lot more awareness on the subject matter and Understanding on the difficulties they face on a daily basis with a actress who puts bums on seats with just her presence.

However fucktards complained because shes not a trans man , now she as left the role and i bet the film might never get made or if it does the media's reaction to it will be muted . the complaining Fucktards just went and played them self to be honest.

Nobody_Important

I wish I was making it up, but I am not. It was not a perma ban, but a 2 week ban. The thread revolved around transgender individuals having difficulty finding partners or something. I made a comment saying as a straight male I would not have sex or a relationship with a transgender. Perhaps they misunderstood my comments, but I received a ban and it stated due to transphobia.

I don't know which one was you, but there are only 2 people in that thread that got banned for 2 weeks and both were deserved. One person admitted they don't view trans women as women (which by definition is transphobia) and the other made a crass statement about "trans, fats, and ugly people"

Not commenting any further because I don't wanna derail anymore, but its obvious there was more to your comment that you claimed.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

One person admitted they don't view trans women as women (which by definition is transphobia) and the other made a crass statement about "trans, fats, and ugly people"

A phobia is an irrational fear possibly expressed as fear, hatred, disbelief or mistrust , considering a trans woman as not a woman doesn't mean you're phobic though. Why should one ignore the biological markers of a woman (XX chromosome, ability to give birth, female reproductive organs, bone structure, etc) when someone claims to be a woman?

Speaking about @Makariel 's post.

Should heterosexual people be portrayed and acted by heterosexual actors?

White people from white actors?

Christians from Christian actors and so forth?

Those persons do not realize they are proposing a segregation-based "representation"?
Do people realize transgenders are pretty much BARRED from portraying anything BUT trans roles?

Can you imagine the outrage if a transgender woman was casted to play a non-trans woman in a major film? Oh wait, you can't because it will never happen.

So, let's say that I am a director/film producer in CURRENT YEAR(tm) and I wish to make a movie about Jesus Christ, what should I do?
Get a white, blond actor, apparently that's how Jesus looked like according to most films ever and that's not an issue at all!

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

A phobia is an irrational fear possibly expressed as fear, hatred, disbelief or mistrust , considering a trans woman as not a woman doesn't mean you're phobic though. Why should one ignore the biological markers of a woman (XX chromosome, ability to give birth, female reproductive organs, bone structure, etc) when someone claims to be a woman?

The fact you said all of that without seeing anything wrong with it tells me you either do not know anything about what it means to be transgender or you simply don't care. Either way its clear nothing I say will make an impact.

Tumle

I know that, but the trailers and promotional material did a poor job of showing that. All people saw was whitest white guy ever Matt Damon (And I say that as a white guy myself) on the cover of posters of a movie called "The Great Wall".

Its just not a good look.
Sure I can understand that.. but still think it’s a little bit of a Stretch, to call that whitewashing.. the movie sucked so bad that they had to revolve the whole marketing campaign around Matt Damon being in the movie... but still wouldn’t call it white washing:)

Last edited:

The Skull

The fact you said all of that without seeing anything wrong with it tells me you either do not know anything about what it means to be transgender or you simply don't care. Either way its clear nothing I say will make an impact.

It's not transphobic for a straight man to say he prefers having sex with biological females.

Can anybody link me to the outcry when the awesome Rami Malek (Egyptian/Coptic heritage) was cast to play the legendary Freddy Mercury (British resident, originally born in Tanzania) in the forthcoming movie?

Also his ability to act as a person of a specific sexuality and ability to portray the suffering an illness/condition he may not have experienced first hand?

(The guy is going to do a bang-up job and the movie is going to be great. But, clearly, that's not the point.)

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Can anybody link me to the outcry when the awesome Rami Malek (Egyptian/Coptic heritage) was cast to play the legendary Freddy Mercury (British resident, originally born in Tanzania) in the forthcoming movie?[
It's usually a one-way street with these SJWs where they want others to give in but they won't give an inch.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

But when I point out why someone uses biological markers why a trans woman is not a woman there's something wrong it it. :goog_unsure:

You refusing to acknowledge a trans persons chosen gender is not the same as wanting to be in a relationship with them. You can accept and acknowledge them for who they choose to be without needing to find them sexually attractive.

By not choosing to acknowledge them for who they are you are indeed being offensive even if you choose to not see it that way.

Ulysses 31

You refusing to acknowledge a trans persons chosen gender is not the same as wanting to be in a relationship with them. You can accept and acknowledge them for who they choose to be without needing to find them sexually attractive.

By not choosing to acknowledge them for who they are you are indeed being offensive even if you choose to not see it that way.
That is an assumption on your part, if I was talking to a trans woman and was asked to use she, I personally would out of courtesy. But if someone didn't I think that person would be in his right not to and the trans should be able to tolerate that without seeing it as an attack on his/her human right to exist.

Last edited:

Tumle

That is an assumption on your part, if I was talking to a trans woman and was asked to use she, I personally would out of courtesy. But if someone didn't I think that person would be in his right not to and the trans should be able to tolerate that without seeing it as an attack on his/her human right to exist.
How many of the criteria’s you listed in another post does one have to fulfill for you to accept them as a woman?
There are woman who can’t give birth because of a birth defect where they don’t have the the right internal structure to produce off spring. There are woman that because of hormone inbalance have the muscular or bone structure of a man.. and the list goes on...

So if you can’t grab them by the pussy or don’t want to because your not attracted to them they don’t count as woman? :p

There are both mentally and physically difference between men and woman (no matter what some feminist might think)..
So why wouldn’t it be possible that the mental way a woman thinks could be fixed with the wrong body, a male/female body?

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

How many of the criteria’s you listed in another post does one have to fulfill for you to accept them as a woman?
There are woman who can’t give birth because of a birth defect where they don’t have the the right internal structure to produce off spring. There are woman that because of hormone inbalance have the muscular or bone structure of a man.. and the list goes on...

So if you can’t grab them by the pussy or don’t want to because your not attracted to them they don’t count as woman? :p

There are both mentally and physically difference between men and woman (no matter what some feminist might think)..
So why wouldn’t it be possible that the mental way a woman thinks could be fixed with the wrong body, a male/female body?

I'm in no doubt that there are some people born into the wrong body, and you occasionally read about them. But the thousands of teenage boys that claim to be female lesbians is kind of muddying the waters of common sense right now.

I'd be happy to have a conversation about this, but I fear this is something that will get us all banned, much like the current real world this seems to be a no go area for science, reality and most of all the rights of biological females.

How? Transgenders exist in all shapes, colours and sizes. Some pass easily for their prefered gender, some don't. A statement like "I don't date/feel attracted to transgenders" IMO can't be explained any other way than "I don't truly consider them [insert sex here]." Not that I think there's anything wrong with saying that, but let's just be honest here. I mean, even transgenders themselves often don't want to date other transgenders. Those people acknowledge the difference, but ask cis people to ignore it for their sake.

Or perhaps you can think of reasons why someone wouldn'be interested in transgenders? Only other thing I could think of is that it'd be impossible to have a child with a transgender partner.

Those examples you listed are all women who you may not consider dating for whatever reason. This is just an assumption on my part, but I'm pretty sure most straight men don't consider transgender women real women, and so they will never be interested in them. All of the things you mentioned don't even come into consideration.

Ulysses 31

Those things you list are not the norm though, of course there are edge cases/abnormalities. I don't think woman who can't give birth(anymore) are lesser women. Speaking as a non biologist I'd say that birth determines your sex. No where was I saying that men can't behave like women. When I said woman I was referring to the biological sex, not the gender and perhaps I should've used female instead.

Tumle

Being born a woman helps. Having prefix trans- is like having the word fake in front.
So what about people born with both genitalia? How do you determine what gender they belong to?
It is not straight 1+1 = 2
You complain so much about the extremes in politics judging everything in absolutes.. but you have no problem takin the same tactics when something doesn’t fit Into your world view..
I’m not advocating 76 different kindof pronouns or complelled speech, I even think like most of you that the progressive left have shot them selves in the foot on the topic at hand..

But not understanding that there are so many different mutations in the human species, that difference in sex and gender is not black and white but a scale.. does not make an argument..
Nobody is asking you who you want to grope or who you want to fuck..
Some only like Asians others have a fetish for big woman and so and so forth.

people are asking why trans woman aren’t considered real woman? And apparently it all comes down to what’s between your legs when you are born and not the state of mind you are born with..

Last edited:

Tumle

How? Transgenders exist in all shapes, colours and sizes. Some pass easily for their prefered gender, some don't. A statement like "I don't date/feel attracted to transgenders" IMO can't be explained any other way than "I don't truly consider them [insert sex here]." Not that I think there's anything wrong with saying that, but let's just be honest here. I mean, even transgenders themselves often don't want to date other transgenders. Those people acknowledge the difference, but ask cis people to ignore it for their sake.

Or perhaps you can think of reasons why someone wouldn'be interested in transgenders? Only other thing I could think of is that it'd be impossible to have a child with a transgender partner.

Those examples you listed are all women who you may not consider dating for whatever reason. This is just an assumption on my part, but I'm pretty sure most straight men don't consider transgender women real women, and so they will never be interested in them. All of the things you mentioned don't even come into consideration.
Just because you don’t want to fuck them does not equate to what’s a woman and what’s not a woman.. because else I know a lot of people who are apparently men..
Or maybe I’m miss understanding you..

Last edited:

Tumle

Those things you list are not the norm though, of course there are edge cases/abnormalities. I don't think woman who can't give birth(anymore) are lesser women. Speaking as a non biologist I'd say that birth determines your sex. No where was I saying that men can't behave like women. When I said woman I was referring to the biological sex, not the gender and perhaps I should've used female instead.
But some woman would fall outside your criteria to deem them real woman on more than half of your list of things.. even if they are a small minority (which trans woman/men are too)
I’m sorry but I really can’t see the problem in thinking of trans females as real females, just because i don’t want to date them :/

Last edited:

Barsinister

Banned
Tumle Tumle ask this question instead: How many woman break down and don't consider THEMSELVES real women when they learn they can't give birth? It is a heartbreaking thing to see.

Just because you don’t want to fuck them does not equate to what’s a woman and what’s not a woman.. because else I no a lot of people who are apparently men..
Or maybe I’m miss understanding you..
I never equated being attracted to something to being whatever gender. I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

What you're saying is: "I think you're a woman, but I'd never even consider dating you because you're trans, despite being attracted to women." You understand how that doesn't make any sense right? If you truly considered trans women actual women, you'd have no problem dating them. As a group, transgenders share one common feature: They're all trans. So if you won't date any trans women because they're trans, you probably don't truly view them as women, that you could feel attraction to.

SonicSleuth

I give you gods of Egypt.. but the wall? He is not portraying a Chinese guy but a European taking the Silk Road.. what the hell?
Both movies sucked though
Not a single person who complained about whitewashing in The Wall or The Last Samurai actually watched the movies they were complaining about.

It's flat dumb. Producers want stars. Directors want folks they like to work with. The complaint is that there are not enough black/brown/trans stars in the system, and that's keeping them from getting good roles. It's a good argument, and an accurate complaint. That doesn't mean that someone who wants to tell a story about a particular type of person has to cast who the mob wants, though.

Barsinister

Banned
Not a single person who complained about whitewashing in The Wall or The Last Samurai actually watched the movies they were complaining about.

It's flat dumb. Producers want stars. Directors want folks they like to work with. The complaint is that there are not enough black/brown/trans stars in the system, and that's keeping them from getting good roles. It's a good argument, and an accurate complaint. That doesn't mean that someone who wants to tell a story about a particular type of person has to cast who the mob wants, though.

This is a good point. Makes me think of art in the general sense. Is this movie art? I'll give you an example: DelToro made a movie called "The Shape of Water". Who would have thought that they would want to see a movie about that? That man has a vision and will not compromise his art. I suspect that he left the "Hobbit" movies because of his unwillingness to compromise.

Tumle

I never equated being attracted to something to being whatever gender. I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

What you're saying is: "I think you're a woman, but I'd never even consider dating you because you're trans, despite being attracted to women." You understand how that doesn't make any sense right? If you truly considered trans women actual women, you'd have no problem dating them. As a group, transgenders share one common feature: They're all trans. So if you won't date any trans women because they're trans, you probably don't truly view them as women, that you could feel attraction to.
No because there are “real” woman I would never consider dating because like trans woman I’m not attracted to them..

Top Bottom