• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She hulk trailer

DKehoe

They’ve gone full George Lucas at this point. I’d say the shift started heavy around Civil War. The whole airport scene looked so bad at times. Especially Ironman with the mask off.
I know it's the example so many people point to but it's crazy how the CGI from 2006 Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean blows away current Marvel stuff. But it's because there are so many individual effects in the films these days that even if the technology has improved overall less time can be spent on each individual effect because there's now so much to do.
the reason is that this way models and props don't need to be finalised and produced in pre-production, but taken care in post

it is more expensive most likely, but they have the money.
VFX artists aren't unionised either. Also the people directly making the Marvel films have less creative control than those making other films and if a whole bunch of it is CGI then the studio can tweak things even after filming is done.

Amazing how the MCU has turned into this absolute slow-motion trainwreck. They've completely lost the ability to write relatable and likeable characters anymore. What remains are focus group tested personality husks presented as wannabe-cool protagonists. The only people who still fail to realize that the train has gone off the rails, are the superfans living in denial because they paid for first-class tickets.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not too worried about the poor VFX in places. Marvel has a bit of a habit of releasing trailers with clearly unfinished VFX that ends up looking way better and complete once their show / movie releases. Also according to numerous VFX workers I saw on Twitter, a lot of these Marvel shows are worked on right up until days prior to release. So, fingers crossed.

Outside of that, I don't mind these kind of "girl comedies", which this outwardly appears to be (and hey, wouldn't knock Marvel for reaching for a broader audience anyway), but the vibe might be a bit too jaunty for my tastes. It really does seem like it could end up being Marvel's first out-and-out comedy. Even moreso than Ant-Man.

jason10mm

Gold Member
In the comics she’s in a car accident and gets a blood transfusion from her cousin Bruce Banner.
Funny thing is that nowadays we would irradiate blood from a related donor to prevent a rare but fatal complication. The older irradiators use gamma radiation :p

I think she-hulk predates this practice but it is a funny coincidence that her origin story sorta kinda makes sense :p

As far as "superheroes being attorneys in a somewhat comedic setting"... Has been done before, and better:

MV5BNjkwNDk4N2EtMTYyYi00ODRmLTk1OGQtNzc5YTBmYWYxNDE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_QL75_UY281_CR1,0,190,281_.jpg

NickFire

Not feeling it.

Outside of Spiderman, this 4th phase has been just meh for me. If I had to put my finger on it, I'd say they are focused on two groups of people. The die hard comic fans that know every obscure character, and a "reach" audience of people they want to become fans of the series. The middle ground of people who like comics but primarily get excited for the big names will still always have phases 1-3 though. And hopefully a healthy dose of x-men in phase 5.

Fbh

Looks like I'll continue my trend of liking one and disliking the next with these Marvel shows
Wandavision was ok, didn't care for Falcon, Loki was good, didn't care for Hawkeye, Moon Knight was pretty good, don't care about this.

Mossybrew

Really enjoyed Loki and Wandavision. Hawkeye and Falcon were kinda meh but watchable. Moon Knight was trash, lasted two episodes then had enough. This looks even worse than Moon Knight.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
^Libs of NeoGaf with a flippy flop

They don't miss to they do miss in a matter of hours. I think what you are missing is integrity. :)

Confused Donald Trump GIF
Yeah that's not what I meant at all. I'm saying I would understand YOU having the opinion that they have missed once or twice, but I wouldn't understand the opinion of them missing "all the time".

I haven't seen a single show or movie so far in the MCU that I have straight up disliked from top to bottom.

cormack12

Gold Member
Legally Blonde. Sorry, legally green.

This role was meant for Gina Carrano. She even bulked in the Mandalorian

The extent to which Marvel uses CGI is baffling. Why does a guy standing around at a party have to be done with CGI?

FOKSGGLWUAQOR2p
They’ve gone full George Lucas at this point. I’d say the shift started heavy around Civil War. The whole airport scene looked so bad at times. Especially Ironman with the mask off.
the reason is that this way models and props don't need to be finalised and produced in pre-production, but taken care in post

it is more expensive most likely, but they have the money.
Yeah, it's getting a bit overboard with Marvel. A straightforward table conversation can be all blue screen too.

E7advymX0AIQ1Y-.jpg
418428f8cc6f86bd3be04af5ccb735ad1da141b4.jpg
Yeh totally, That bar scene from Black Widow was another I had in mind. I get that these are films/shows that involve lots of things exploding, crazy tech and other things you'd want CGI for so it's understandable that it's used a lot. But they're using it for things that don't need it. Why does two people sitting in a bar have to be done with special effects? Even Tom Holland and Jon Favreau standing at a graveyard in the most recent Spider-Man used CGI. I'd heard the reason is because VFX artists are non-union and I'd also guess that it then allows the studio to make changes since the people directly making Marvel films get a lot less creative input than with other films.

As another example, even this gun is fake

ckpget8cin931.jpg
Even CG artists have complained about Marvel's overabundance of CG, even in very minor scenes.

I remember seeing behind the scenes footage of Tom Holland actually doing the Spiderman stunts on wirework and cranes in multiple movies, but you'd never know he put in such difficult and risky work because in the actual movies they cover all of it in a layer of CG like an Xbox 360 bloom filter.

Urban

What i cant understand is:

Why do they always have to "shittalk" about the other Super heros and downgrade them just to show how badass the woman version of it is?
I simply dont get it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What i cant understand is:

Why do they always have to "shittalk" about the other Super heros and downgrade them just to show how badass the woman version of it is?
I simply dont get it.
Was that "adult orphan" comment aimed at Black Widow?

But yeah. Since superheros are portrayed almost exclusively through a male lens (ie they are physically stronger, blast things, punch people, nonstop combat) there is nothing a female brings to the table really. So rather than emphasize a feminine trait that's an advantage, they gotta tear down a masculine feature even as the woman engages in the exact same behavior.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Looks like it could be a funny throwaway type show. Tim Roth being back is weird, I kinda thought they had just disowned the original hulk movie.
Mark Ruffalo hulk and Edward Norton hulk are the same Hulk.

wondermega

SH was always an interesting, unique character in the comics in the 80s that felt pretty fresh. It looks like they are trying to property reference this in this show, which is encouraging (from the trailer). Sadly, a movie would be preferable as we are overdue another legit monster/hero type film (Hulk range) and this could potentially fit the bill if it had a proper movie budget and pacing. With all the CGI they could do something spectacular having her destroying city blocks and what not. We will see none of that here, in lieu of a bunch of tall and empowerment jokes. Which are fine, but if that's all it is, then it's hard to get excited about. Anyway, here's hoping they give some screen time to Hulk and he starts going savage again, but I'm not get my hopes up.

Ulysses 31

Anyway, here's hoping they give some screen time to Hulk and he starts going savage again, but I'm not get my hopes up.
Real doubtful. MCU Hulk is very different from the comics and they're not really exploring him(he had mayor character changes off screen) but they rather have him prepare his replacement already it seems.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The extent to which Marvel uses CGI is baffling. Why does a guy standing around at a party have to be done with CGI?

FOKSGGLWUAQOR2p

I don't know, ummmm ,scheduling conflicts? Flash is in the movie for 60 seconds, why spend all that money flying him to be on set if he can do it somewhere else?

sol_bad

Yep not only that I didn't notice anything wrong with the scene. It looked great whenever I was watching the movie

People will find reasons to shit in Disney and Marvel. When watching the films you can't tell that Fury and Flash aren't really there in there respective scenes. I was amazed when I learnt they weren't actually on location.

Hell, look at Zodiac, so much blue screen for that film it's not funny. No one complains about it though.

People will find reasons to shit in Disney and Marvel. When watching the films you can't tell that Fury and Flash aren't really there in there respective scenes. I was amazed when I learnt they weren't actually on location.

Hell, look at Zodiac, so much blue screen for that film it's not funny. No one complains about it though.
That's what I noticed especially with the Marvel Hate. Makes me roll my eyes at the double standards

I might have issues with Phase 4 but I actually have actual valid criticisms instead of hyperbolic hate

NahaNago

This is a nope for me. I get what they are trying to do with the tv show and how they are trying to expand their audience but this simply isn't for me.

With that said I've struggled with most of the marvel tv shows. The Wanda show I gave up on with the first episode(it's weird cause I love those old shows when I was a kid), I think I might have watched maybe 2 epsiodes of that captain falcon show, I liked Loki, and Moonknight was just disappointing. I still want to finish wanda and falcon show but I'll just eventually get to it.

Watched the trailer again. My God... the "chip on the shoulder" attitude, and the resulting behavior with awkwardly delivered lines. Whole thing is cringe as hell.

And, unlike a comment made earlier in the thread, that's got nothing to do with her being a woman, at least for me. Hell, I think my favorite character in the entire MCU is a woman -- Scarlet Witch. But Wanda Maximoff doesn't walk around delivering awkward lines or reminding you every two seconds that she's a woman. We can tell she's a woman, it's obvious. And a pretty damn strong one, at that -- quite possibly the strongest hero in the whole MCU lineup (uhhh... not sure about that, maybe Dr. Strange and Spider-Man are more powerful, I don't know I'm not a fucking comic book nerd :messenger_tears_of_joy:). Let's see, she:

- Mind-fucked practically the entire OG Avengers crew. Tony got massively shook from his visions
- Took a whole city hostage with just her mind
- Thanos Part 1: She took on Thanos, single-handedly, and if it wasn't for his last minute military-style call, she would've killed him, too. Hell, forget about her being the most successful 1-v-1 against Thanos, she was more successful than Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man combined.
- Thanos Part 2: She fended off, with one hand, a 5-ring-Gauntlet Thanos, while her other hand was busy destroying the Mind Stone. Talk about serious power.

So, MCU writers, take note: Women heroes are wonderful. Give us more Scarlet Witch, more Gamora, more Nebula, more Black Widow (well... Civil War and prior; after that her character got kind of annoying), more Wasp, hell even more Pepper Potts (reminder: Pepper directly had a hand in killing the main villains in 2 out of the 3 Iron Man stand-alone movies. In that regard, she has a better record than Tony in his own movie series.)

And give us less Captain Marvel and less.... whatever this She-Hulk abomination is supposed to be. kthxbye :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Personally, it's not for me. Didn't find the trailer amusing and the effects look poor.

I'll give this one a miss.

Nico_D

Love Maslany but based on trailer, it's a pretty hard pass for me. Looks just bad. Similar to other D+ Marvel shows.

Love the CGI usage since it triggers the CGI haters. Didn't notice until someone pointed it out lol. Still looks great to me
I personally don't hate the CGI. I simply want what's better for this show. If your show features a mainly CG character interacting with people in real life, there are right and wrong ways to go about it. The CG character presented in that trailer needs a bit more work and what we currently have looks jarring next to Professor Hulk's model. I'm hoping you feel similar and aren't simply satisfied with 'good enough' just so that haters are triggered.

Nobody_Important

Love the CGI usage since it triggers the CGI haters. Didn't notice until someone pointed it out lol. Still looks great to me
Basically my thoughts. The dedicated Disney haters at large on social media are pissing their little pants about the CGI, but we live in a world where the "Arrowverse" exists and its CGI was fucking GARBAGE and yet people still tuned in every week for literally years.

Seamless CGI is not required for a show to be successful. It just needs to be fun, entertaining, and well written enough to bring people back every week. That's it. Everything beyond that is just bias and nitpicking.

Mind blowing I know :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:
I personally don't hate the CGI. I simply want what's better for this show. If your show features a mainly CG character interacting with people in real life, there are right and wrong ways to go about it. The CG character presented in that trailer needs a bit more work and what we currently have looks jarring next to Professor Hulk's model. I'm hoping you feel similar and aren't simply satisfied with 'good enough' just so that haters are triggered.
I'm talking about the previous MCU films. There was a weird complaint that the MCU uses CGI a ton and how it mostly looks bad. When the examples they shown are totally fine when I didn't even notice those parts of the film was CGI. I seen bad CGI in MCU movies and shows but those examples weren't it. Example the last fight scene in Black Panther.

As for the show, yes it's noticeable and I wouldn't be interested in this show but the trailer made it interesting for me despite the bad CGI. No, I don't feel similar. Not sorry for disappointing you. Not only that they have till August to improve it.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the previous MCU films. There was a weird complaint that the MCU uses CGI a ton and how it mostly looks bad. When the examples they shown are totally fine when I didn't even notice those parts of the film was CGI. I seen bad CGI in MCU movies and shows but those examples weren't it. Example the last fight scene in Black Panther.
I agree with the first point that they use CGI a bit too much. Using it for scenes due to last minute scheduling mishaps or location issues is fine. I don't think all of it looks bad. However, it becomes a bit messy nearly every time you enter the final acts of most Marvel movies. Shang-Chi's ending battle(after the fight between human characters) looked okay but off. Black Widow's final fight(in the sky) looked okay but off. Eternals final fight looked okay but off. I think it would be okay if they put more time and care into these moments instead of being on an Activision-style rotation and release schedule with their shows and movies.

Black Panther was obviously the worst example and I still think it's horrible that they left it mostly as is instead of trying to fix what was there between theatre and blu-ray release. I don't treat it as the norm however.

Last edited:
Basically my thoughts. The dedicated Disney haters at large on social media are pissing their little pants about the CGI, but we live in a world where the "Arrowverse" exists and its CGI was fucking GARBAGE and yet people still tuned in every week for literally years.

Seamless CGI is not required for a show to be successful. It just needs to be fun, entertaining, and well written enough to bring people back every week. That's it. Everything beyond that is just bias and nitpicking.

Mind blowing I know :messenger_tongue:
The CGI complaints is so weird since as you said CW DC shows used cheap effects and noone complained. But I chalk it up to MCU hate. Other movies and shows have a ton of CGI in them and people don't complain nearly as much lol

As for Phase 4 in general, I found most of the shows and movies disappointing to Good. The best one though is the one that's the most divisive which is Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness. But that's because I'm a huge horror fan. I hated Spider-Man No Way Home BTW

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

The CGI complaints is so weird since as you said CW DC shows used cheap effects and noone complained. But I chalk it up to MCU hate. Other movies and shows have a ton of CGI in them and people don't complain nearly as much lol

As for Phase 4 in general, I found most of the shows and movies disappointing to Good. The best one though is the one that's the most divisive which is Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness. But that's because I'm a huge horror fan. I hated Spider-Man No Way Home BTW
Can't agree. I have enjoyed everything that I seen since Endgame and No Way Home is one of my favorite MCU films. Top 5 or 6 at least.

Only thing I haven't seen is Moon Knight.

I think this would have worked if instead of being smart, sarcastic and empowered, she was actually angry when she transformed into hulk.

I would love to see a show about a karen transforming into a green monster when somebody doesn't act the way she wants. It would be hilarious.

Top Bottom