• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

I doubt there is a leak. They claimed the same thing with Doctor Who IIRC a few years back to get some free coverage.

Doctor Who was leaked, and a pretty big one at that. Scripts and even early episodes (black and white, non-final edit (so some lines different, etc), very early special effects, etc). The first five episodes of Peter Capaldi's time on the show were leaked that way, months before they actually aired. It wasn't a publicity stunt, the BBC was livid and people were actually fired for it.

It's the same thing here, and probably in the same way - early, non-finished episodes sent of to different production houses across the world for dubbing/subtitling purposes. That explains why the music isn't there yet and why it's in Russian. The leak is real.

Boem

Has it not aired in the UK yet?

Starts in a bit. We're all waiting for it here.

The real question is: was Martin Freeman just kidding around or is this really going to be the last episode? He's been talking about not wanting to stay too long in one role and quitting on a high point more and more recently, and especially saying that this series feels like a good tonal ending for him.

If anything, I think the gap between this episode and any possible future episodes will be even longer, given how much the careers of the leads are taking off. I wonder if they'll end on a cliffhanger again.

So it has not been confirmed but there are rumors going around that the leaked episode is not the real one that is premiering tonight.

One of the composers had this to say when asked why there was no new music in the leaked episode https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2O5ZZHWEAEKIE_.jpg

Who knows if this is true or not but I thought I would let people know just in case you were not planning on watching the episode today since you already saw the leaked version.

Sue Vertue said the BFI version (which apparently matches the leaked one) is the complete version, not missing X minutes etc. I skimmed some of the spoilers and hoo boy, I want to see how it all unfolds.

The real question is: was Martin Freeman just kidding around or is this really going to be the last episode? He's been talking about not wanting to stay too long in one role and quitting on a high point more and more recently, and especially saying that this series feels like a good tonal ending for him.

If anything, I think the gap between this episode and any possible future episodes will be even longer, given how much the careers of the leads are taking off. I wonder if they'll end on a cliffhanger again.

Since Benedict Cumberbatch said he thinks it'd be tricky to do more because they've made something complete I feel it won't be a cliffhanger ending but just one where you think "the stakes can't really get any higher" so it'd almost be redundant to do more. I'd still like some 90min eps with a single detective case but equally if it has to end after tonight, so be it.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Was literally about to ask, do we think there'll be a cliffhanger?

I think it's an open ending, but everything since S1 will be wrapped up (I hope anyway, can't take anymore waiting for plots to be resolved).

MaKTaiL

Ahhh, I'm not liking this season at all. I miss Sherlock solving the usual cases instead of this season long arc we are getting. I'm feeling burned out with Steven Mophat's storytelling too, I can't stand him on Doctor Who anymore and his method of building long arcs is getting old already. What made the first 2 seasons good was the awesome cases he would get to solve on each episode while slightly hinting at a bigger picture. Now the tables have flipped and all they do is build up the bigger picture instead of solving cases.

The interesting thing is how Ben is the only one who's been confirmed to have signed for a 5th series, and that Gatiss and Moffat have said they've plotted the 5th one out. Very curious. And with that, see you all after the US airing.

Kathian

Banned
John could be a Mary style ghost if he really did get shot. I wouldn't mind this - would be interesting to see what the show does with a new 'companion' character.

Ahhh, I'm not liking this season at all. I miss Sherlock solving the usual cases instead of this season long arc we are getting. I'm feeling burned out with Steven Mophat's storytelling too, I can't stand him on Doctor Who anymore and his method of building long arcs is getting old already. What made the first 2 seasons good was the awesome cases he would get to solve on each episode while slightly hinting at a bigger picture. Now the tables have flipped and all they do is build up the bigger picture instead of solving cases.

This is utter nonsense. Series One has Moriarty as an arc, Series Two has Moriarty as an arc and Series Three is probably the most case based but even then we still have small arc stuff in the first two eps.

Moffat wrote episode 2 which was all about the case. His stories tend to be built around a case and deductions. So singling him out seems very unfair.

MaKTaiL

John could be a Mary style ghost if he really did get shot. I wouldn't mind this - would be interesting to see what the show does with a new 'companion' character.

This is utter nonsense. Series One has Moriarty as an arc, Series Two has Moriarty as an arc and Series Three is probably the most case based but even then we still have small arc stuff in the first two eps.

Moffat wrote episode 2 which was all about the case. His stories tend to be built around a case and deductions. So singling him out seems very unfair.
Moriarty was never a huge focus. Sherlock would solve a case and Moriarty would be involved in some way at the end. Season 4 is Sherlock being obsessed with Moriarty all the time and nonsensical stories revolving around him and making him go crazy and have hallucinations. There are no cases whatsoever.

fantomena

I think it's months later. Like June.

image.php

Netflix Norway has Sherlock episodes and they release every monday. only problem is I don't when tommorrow.

Moriarty was never a huge focus. Sherlock would solve a case and Moriarty would be involved in some way at the end. Season 4 is Sherlock being obsessed with Moriarty all the time and nonsensical stories revolving around him and making him go crazy and have hallucinations. There are no cases whatsoever.

I'd disagree on "no cases whatsoever". T6T had the kid who sewed himself into a seat that miraculously had something to do with Mary (there's an argument to be had about that), and last week was a fantastic case about a serial killer.

Some questionable moments so far but the idea of a person so intelligent they can completely manipulate anyone without them realising is pretty fucking cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom