• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride |OT| 19th Century, My Dear Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Watched this last night.

I don't know. I feel like Moriarty is kind tame, now that we've seen Magnussen. The former might be Sherlock's equal, but the latter is far superior to him and even smarter than Mycroft. I really feel like series 3 wasted a ton of potential by losing that character.

Magnussen was an idiot.
Keeping everything in your brain so that you're one bullet away from losing leverage? Just asking to be offed.

Akahige

Ehh I did not like it, the Victorian era had some entertainment value but felt more and more like nothing since there wasn't anything concrete happening. The twist of it actually being modern day was expected and the writing from that point fell flat. I would have preferred a standalone story set in the Victorian era even with all the winks, nods and fan pandering that went along with it, atleast then we would get something complete, an actual mystery being solved, and not ten minutes of story development in 90 minutes.

Quick

Banned
Magnussen was an idiot.
Keeping everything in your brain so that you're one bullet away from losing leverage? Just asking to be offed.

We're led to believe that Magnussen had an actual library of information to use as leverage. This seemed to be the general belief of everyone who knew about him, including Sherlock. If he were killed, the assumption was that the information would then leaked, discrediting and ruining everyone he has shit on.

This is my take, at least. I haven't seen Series 3 in a while, so the details aren't fresh in my head, I admit. Even with the quick recap they did before The Abominable Bride.

Joni

We're led to believe that Magnussen had an actual library of information to use as leverage. This seemed to be the general belief of everyone who knew about him, including Sherlock. If he were killed, the assumption was that the information would then leaked, discrediting and ruining everyone he has shit on.
But that only works if the person being blackmailed, is actually smart enough to think he has an out in the event of his death.

Chariot

Magnussen was certainly powerful, with him controlling the media, having a huge amount of information and the dread of his reputation alone. Let's take away that Moriaty was a lunatic that couldn't be threatened by Magnussen in the first place and Moriaty still comes out on top. Criminals with a certain amount of power wouldn't have many qualms in ravaging his assets and searching for what they need or to torture him. But he chose people for blackmail that couldn't just do that, because he believed that they had a public reputation to uphold.

Magnussen was certainly powerful, with him controlling the media, having a huge amount of information and the dread of his reputation alone. Let's take away that Moriaty was a lunatic that couldn't be threatened by Magnussen in the first place and Moriaty still comes out on top. Criminals with a certain amount of power wouldn't have many qualms in ravaging his assets and searching for what they need or to torture him. But he chose people for blackmail that couldn't just do that, because he believed that they had a public reputation to uphold.

Yep, which is consistent with how Sherlock describes him to Mycroft, as a bully who picks on people who are different, not on someone who could punch back just as hard (i.e., he messed with the wrong person in Mary, and look how he was cowering on the floor of his penthouse when she had him at gunpoint).

Cheerilee

Also, I suspect that "It's never twins" was a House MD reference, since House was based on Holmes.

I just learned something new. In 1929, Ronald Knox wrote the "Ten Commandments" of successful mystery writing, based largely on the success of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Commandment #10: No twins.

Sherlock is genre savvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom