• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride |OT| 19th Century, My Dear Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

I tought that was pretty great.

Only thing that felt weird was
that whole waterfall sequence at the end.
. I didn't really get that part.

In the Sherlock Holmes stories Holmes and Moriarty fall to their deaths battling at a waterfall.

Nodnol

I loved it; far more so than I would have had it just been an episode in a different time period. I actually watched it through the BBC iPlayer, after it he aired and after I read the initial impressions. Due to the fact that I knew the jist, it seemed to make sense. Lots of subtleties.

In a strange way, the "fan-service" can be comfortably explained via the nature of the episode, though it does quite nicely reintroduce some of the key moments and intricacies of the last few seasons. Particularly useful for newcomers.

I fucking love Andrew Scott, by the way. He's always been the one presence that truly steals the scene away from Cumberbatch.

Fingers crossed season 4 isn't far away.

Oh and I truly hope they come up with a plausibly rediculous way Moriarty could be still alive, even if Sherlock seems so sure he's not. I thought the scene in his apartment was heading towards a clue but I'm not sure.

Zomba13

I liked it a lot.

You're all acting like just a pure Victorian special for its own sake wouldn't have been purest fan service. At least this tied into things and moved the plot along.

See you all this time next year for series 4.

Of course it'd be fanservice. The special just didn't need to tie in, especially when people will be able to jump into the next season without watching this and not missing anything. Like, by the end of the episode all that has happened in "our time" is that Sherlock has stepped off a plane and is certain Moriarty is actually dead.

cyba89

In the Sherlock Holmes stories Holmes and Moriarty fall to their deaths battling at a waterfall.

I haven't read the story but I know about that. It still felt out of place and I did not quite understand why that scene was there and what it actually told us.
Maybe it becomes clearer for me during a rewatch.

Boba2007

All I have to say is...

1-capture_12022008_083417.png

But really, good episode, just started a bit too slow.

LordCanti

I liked this special a lot more than I thought I was going to when we found out it was a throwback. If it hadn't
tied in to the main series at all I probably would have been a bit disappointed. The little touches like John randomly being in 21st century clothing and Sherlock randomly commenting on 21st century things were interesting compared to the alternative of a straight old timey Sherlock tale.

The long wait begins again.

Omadahl

Banned
Oh man. Moriarty licking the gun was just spectacular. He's such a wickedly comical character and played so damn well.

It does seem to have divided viewers. As a way to tie up loose ends from Series 3 it's quite good, and I welcomed the Series 3 framing device. I never believed we'd see Andrew Scott back, but this has provided a way to bring him back without reviving the series 1/2 Moriarty. That could be where it stays, but you never know.

Suppose Moriarty turns out to be an Amelia Ricoletti-style cipher. That would resolve a well known ambiguity about just how many Moriarty brothers there are in Conan Doyle. The reference to American secret societies could be a hint to the Molly Maguires. This is all off-piste for traditional Holmes, but with careful nurturing it might become a story in future now the seed has been planted.

Chuck

Still without luck
Good episode. It was a bit incidental, but I was expecting about as much. Loved all the Victorian stuff.

Red Comet

I liked it a lot. I was expecting a one-off not related to the main series, but setting it In Sherlock's mind palace was pretty cool. Nice to get some quality Moriarty scenes as well.

jasonng

In Anime I believe this is what they would call a filler.

I liked it a lot though I wanted this special to be detached from the original altogether.

Prompto

Banned
A part of me kinda hoped they would have kept it as it's own separate thing entirely but I still enjoyed it. Plus it's nice to get confirmation that
Moriarty is 100% dead

Just finished watching. I liked it quite a bit-- that it tied into the present day didn't bother me. I thought they did a nice job connecting it all together.
I liked the waterfall sequence because it showed how Watson had become a part of Sherlock.

aceface

Sigh. Yep, agreed. So, was this the final send off for
Andrew Scott
?

Seemed that way. It was intended to
give him a proper sendoff along with providing some Victorian era fanservice
. I'm ok with it, I enjoyed the episode. It went dark with Sherlock's drug use again which I wasn't expecting.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hm. Not my favourite Victorian Sherlock by a long shot, but not bad either. Just...middling, as per s3

I enjoyed it. It's not a pantheon episode but it's a perfect cheeky way to tie seasons 3 and 4 together. I wish Sherlock had gone in to more detail on how he faked his death.

RDreamer

I enjoyed the episode, even though I can't for the life of me remember most of the details of the last episodes of the show proper. Thought this would be it's own thing, but it was a surprise when it wasn't. Still cool though and overall good.

jerry113

Banned
I must say i was
surprised at seeing a woman blow her brains out during a christmas special lol. That was a full frontal shot.

I'm glad Moriarty is actually dead.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed it. I liked season 3 too. The term "fan service" gets thrown at this show a lot, but it never really bothers me. I just want to watch Martin Freeman be flustered and loyal for an hour and a half and the show keeps that coming in spades.

Quick

Banned
I like that the episode wasn't just a one-off, what-if episode and actually ties into events leading into Series 4.

It got dark with Holmes' drug use and inner turmoil trying to come to grips with Moriarty's existence. Clearly he's been in Sherlock's head. I was almost ready to assume that the end of Series 3 was Sherlock imagining his return. Glad they didn't just scrap it all.

The other neat tie-up were the women. Coming to the realization that The Abominable Bride was all in his head, it made a lot of sense that Molly was imagined as a man, and only Watson could see her as a woman. The women in the clergy being people Sherlock encountered in the past (Molly, again, included) was a nice touch as well.

Finishing it off with Sherlock's acceptance of Moriarty's death, both in his head and in the real world ties things up nicely. Good sendoff for Andrew Scott.

Looking forward to Series 4.

It was fine
I would have preferred it to just be a campy one-off episode opposed to be a 3 to 4 tie-in.

P.S. If Moriarty is dead then will Sherlock be fighting an AI?

Well, I thought that was bloody fantastic. The conceit of the episode really worked for me and I loved that it wasn't just a one-off show but actually bridged the events of S3 to S4. Can't wait to watch it again - so much to unpack.

OmegaFax

I tought that was pretty great.

Only thing that felt weird was
that whole waterfall sequence at the end.
. I didn't really get that part.

It was a nice bit of imagery and I thought it played with some earlier dialog from
Moriarty
asking Holmes if he takes his illustrator with him. Regardless, thought the waterfall was a nice touch and glad they took the opportunity to fit it into the special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom