• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm crazy but I thought Irene Adler was going to take off a mask and be the therapist for whatever reason. I was ready to jump for joy at her return

Yeah, I didn't really think about for that reveal since I wasn't really thinking of anybody at that moment, but I did think they were hinting at us seeing her soon considering Watson was like "she may be a psycho, but text her back" LOL

Also, Sherlock's walking route message and Hudson with the car got me good lol.
As did Mycroft's bit with the card with her number on it.

Question about Irene.

Is it confirmed Irene is a lesbian or was her sexuality left ambiguous? It's been a long time since I saw "Belgravia", so I can't really remember.

Still chuckling about the Mrs Hudson scene with the Aston and her justification for owning it. Really great bit.

Plus the "are you having an earthquake" and her deliberately(?) dropping the tea cup for Sherlock to catch so she can simultaneously pick up the gun. I want to try it in real life but don't think it'll work haha.

I'm still wondering why Culverton gave Eurus the note? Did he want to be investigated by Sherlock? Or did she steal it through someone without his knowledge?

Finalow

first episode sucked, and I agree with most of the complaints read here.
In episode one of this new series, written by Mark Gatiss
yep

on the other hand, Moffat wrote the second episode and he delivered with it. much better than the first one. I was expecting a crazy twist at the end too just because that's what Moffat usually does, and it was pretty good; not too crazy and fairly believable.

as far as acting goes, Cumberbatch was great but I dare say Toby Jones was even better.

UrbanRats

I liked this episode, except for imagiMary.
Cheap narrative device.

Was the sister ever foreshadowed before? I cant remember.

Oh yeah, i just love Toby Jones.

_Ryo_

So after this next ep I'll have to sit and wait until Trumps first term is over for Sherlock to come back, yes?

In other news.
It Still amazes me how PBS gets away with such a depiction of drugs...

Toa TAK

Banned
This was a much better episode. I could've done without Mary, as I'm never been a big fan of that whole "sees loved one in head thing". But it's nice to see a huge revelation being revealed there. Hope it doesn't disappoint next week.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
OH MAN!

I just realized the closing shot of the gun shooting at
john watson
is actually the same shot from the very first scene at the opening of the episode!

Risible

I'm so glad I'm not crazy. As I was watching it I thought that
the therapist, the lady on the bus and the faux daughter were all one and the same but since no one else was acknowledging it that
I was nuts.

Goodstyle

Question about Irene.

Is it confirmed Irene is a lesbian or was her sexuality left ambiguous? It's been a long time since I saw "Belgravia", so I can't really remember.

I mean, she referred to herself as gay, but her attraction to Sherlock definitely suggests otherwise. I assumed the writers were trying to show how Sherlock "turned" her or something. I mean, there are some who would argue that her being attracted to Sherlock doesn't mean she can't be a lesbian, but that's just a whole can of worms I don't want to get into.

I mean, obviously Eurus doesn't shoot John because we can see him in the previews for next week's episode, but I came across this on Reddit/Tumblr just now:
current aesthetic: martin freeman watching a cat through the window

It's curious that right before she shoots, she starts talking about "IT'S making a funny face", after using normal, personalized pronouns to refer to John and Sherlock before then. I always thought that was the tell that she decided to shoot something that WASN'T John. If it is in fact a cat, or some sort of animal, that would play into my pet theory that she killed Redbeard when they were both young, traumatizing Sherlock and forcing Mycroft to have to do something about her.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I liked this episode, except for imagiMary.
Cheap narrative device.

Was the sister ever foreshadowed before? I cant remember.

Oh yeah, i just love Toby Jones.

Could have swore I saw someone post about previous mentions of the Phrase "East Wind"

In mythology, Euros/Eurus is the Greek god of the east wind who was thought to bring rain and warmth. Mycroft and Sherlock has been going on about "the East wind" since season 3. In "His Last Vow," Sherlock tells John:

The East Wind takes us all in the end... It's a story my brother told me when we were kids. The East Wind — this terrifying force that lays waste to all in its path. It seeks out the unworthy and plucks them from the earth...That was generally me.

Later, at the end of the episode, when Mary asks if Moriarty is back, John tells her: "Well, if he is, he'd better wrap up warm. There's an East Wind coming." Basically, the foreshadowing to Eurus' return have been many.

SURGEdude

So is the consensus that this is better than the last one? Trying to decide if I need to put a few drinks in me before I give it a go.

Could have swore I saw someone post about previous mentions of the Phrase "East Wind"

The East Wind takes us all in the end... It's a story my brother told me when we were kids. The East Wind — this terrifying force that lays waste to all in its path. It seeks out the unworthy and plucks them from the earth...That was generally me.

I like how they way they phrased it lets us think Sherlock is referring to himself ("that was generally me = the east wind"), when it now seems Mycroft was trying to scare him with stories about Eurus ("that was generally me= "the unworthy being plucked from the earth")

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So is the consensus that this is better than the last one? Trying to decide if I need to put a few drinks in me before I give it a go.

I liked it. Thought some of the storytelling devices were annoying, but they clicked for other people in this thread some I'm probably just an outlier. Good episode overall.

Episode is way better than T6T. Just enough humor as well as seeing Mrs Hudson being a badass. Plot was well-done and I really enjoyed Toby Jones' Culverton Smith.

Davide

I'm just worried something major will happen in the next episode that causes it to be the end or extremely different in another season.

KeRaSh

I thought the first episode was one of the weakest of the series so far and then out of nowhere they follow it up with one of the best in my opinion.
Great episode!

Does Sherlock have
a sister
in the original material?

SteveWD40

Any word on if this is it for Sherlock? Based on:

- The Final Problem is the "last" story iirc
- Benedict is now part of the MCU, which has a lot of commitments
- Can the BBC even still afford the main cast?
- Is there anywhere else to go with it?

I might have missed an announcement along these lines, but I would be surprised to see more.

MilkBeard

Watched through the episodes today. At first I was confused, as I hadn't watched "The Abominable Bride" yet so I thought that was first episode of season 4. I'm glad to be wrong, as I would like to watch another.

That being said, the first episode of season 4 was a bit of a disappointment. It was fun to watch, but a little weak. Episode 2, however, was great. I do think they fumbled with the reveal of the sister, though. Overall, this episode had some great acting and some mind-fuckery that made it fun to watch.

Excited for the last episode.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Any word on if this is it for Sherlock? Based on:

- The Final Problem is the "last" story iirc
- Benedict is now part of the MCU, which has a lot of commitments
- Can the BBC even still afford the main cast?
- Is there anywhere else to go with it?

I might have missed an announcement along these lines, but I would be surprised to see more.

Nothing concrete, but Cumberbatch and Freeman have said they'd love to return, but don't know if they can because of commitments and schedules. For a while, they didn't think series 4 would happen.

There's also been the suggestion that a major star would be used in the series four finale, who would then return as a regular or part of the cast in series 5, but again, would have major commitments, meaning they wouldn't be able to film a new series straight away.

But I think Moffat and Gatiss have ideas for a fifth series, and as far as I remember, Cumberbatch is signed for a fifth.

But tl;dr, no-one knows yet, willing to do more, watch the finale to find out why.

SteveWD40

Nothing concrete, but Cumberbatch and Freeman have said they'd love to return, but don't know if they can because of commitments and schedules. For a while, they didn't think series 4 would happen.

There's also been the suggestion that a major star would be used in the series four finale, who would then return as a regular or part of the cast in series 5, but again, would have major commitments, meaning they wouldn't be able to film a new series straight away.

But I think Moffat and Gatiss have ideas for a fifth series, and as far as I remember, Cumberbatch is signed for a fifth.

But tl;dr, no-one knows yet, willing to do more, watch the finale to find out why.

Interesting, thanks. The major star bit is intriguing.

Yeah, Moffat said they've plotted out Season 5...but Moffat always lies to hide the truth :p

And imagine Tumblr (if you will)...if there is a major star in the finale and it's Hiddleston...

Tugatrix

Yeah, Moffat said they've plotted out Season 5...but Moffat always lies to hide the truth :p

And imagine Tumblr (if you will)...if there is a major star in the finale and it's Hiddleston...

I can sense a disturbance in the force like a thousand ovaries just burst

I would love to have a season 5, but a season 5 like this last episode and not just character melodrama.

Taruranto

Was Mary acting always so... off? I remember her having much more energy and better chemistry with Watson. The actress looked like she wasn't even trying now.

The last scene was awful. She's a superspy and
she can't handle a granny with a gun? LOL

Was Mary acting always so... off? I remember her having much more energy and better chemistry with Watson. The actress looked like she wasn't even trying now.

She has a newborn baby. It's accurate that she wouldn't be herself.

Jarmel

Banned
Absolutely fantastic episode. Easily the best since the second season and definitely a top 3 all time if not flat out #1. The visual direction was masterful such as the transitions. The acting especially near the end was phenomenal, Cumberbatch actually put work in. Freeman was great but he's always great.

I'm just fucking stunned that the show flipped from having the worst episode of its run to possibly the best. It's an insane whiplash of quality.

Jarmel

Banned
I think this is the first time we've really seen how sharp John is, especially in the explicit way it's shown. I mean it's always assumed he's very intelligent but Sherlock just overpowers him. This episode though showed he can make a lot of these deductions himself. Maybe hanging around Sherlock is rubbing off on him?

Pastulio

Banned
I may be in the minority here but I didn't enjoy the episode much (sans the last 5 minutes). Drug trip / hallucination stories annoy me and having two in the same episode was aggrivating. Also, like last episode it was 20 minutes of crime solving and an hour of trying to catch the bad guy, a complete reverse of how the show has been until now.

sirap

The actors separated after a long partnership and have admitted in interviews that acting together has become awkward.

As for the ending, It's just a badly written episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom