• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFirez

I want a gif of Sherlock going to town on that coffin... you know... to react to terrible announcements at this years E3.

iFirez

The wrap up with a little lackluster at the end there. I could totally see that being the final episode though - ever. Just in case they can't get the actors back and work it all out, that really might be it.

I'm so torn on this episode. Some parts were great but I don't feel like it came together too cohesively. Maybe that'll change upon a rewatch.

On the plus side, it seems if it does end up coming back then it'll be back to one-off cases each episode.

Fur_Q

The wrap up with a little lackluster at the end there. I could totally see that being the final episode though - ever. Just in case they can't get the actors back and work it all out, that really might be it.

BBC showreel that they just aired after episode for 2017 suggests otherwise. Which is a shame coz this series was fucking awful.

Kathian

Banned
....the fuck happened at the end there?

Euros was just fucking with them so they'd play with her?

Euros was always wanting to play with Sherlock. She endangered his friend to play with his mind. Remember she's been locked up for a long time. Mycroft did not help.

Kalor

That was an episode with great moments but they weren't connected particularly well. It was a lot more final at the end than I was expecting.

munroe

No cliffhanger, but I think I prefer that way due to the uncertainty of whether or not there would actually be a 5th season. Plenty of times, there has been a cliffhanger then the show gets cancelled, at least in Sherlock's case, if it ends here, then it ends with 'some' closure but it also allows them to continue on if they can

Are we just meant to forget about the series 3 ending with Moriarty on every television screen?

Typical Moffat.

What do you mean? If it's anything like the videos he recorded for Euros then chances are, IF he is actually dead then that was pre-recorded video like the rest

Cronen

Are we just meant to forget about the series 3 ending with Moriarty on every television screen?

Typical Moffat.

Aki-at

As any other show I'd have felt this was a great finale but it feels so far removed from Sherlock and the bombastic nature of it reminds me more and more of Doctor Who and not in a good way.

My feelings are sort of mixed.

Underwhelming. It wasn't a bad episode per se, it's pretty entertaining, but it underdelivered compared to what they had built up to. If all Moriarty and Eurus had planned was an escape game so that Sherlock could finally solve that riddle, that's weak.

I feel that emotional closure they were going for was unearned and ultimately didn't land really well.

Typical Moffat.
Or "I know what he's going to do next".

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
What a load of tripe. So unbelievably unrealistic and contrived.
I say that as a massive fan of the show.

Shame if that's the final one, it deserved way, way, way better.

Eumi

Some parts of this were good but I really think it was too overeliant on being dark. It was mostly just a long conga line of "Isn't this messed up? Ooh, how about this though?" without much rhyme or reason.

We really didn't get too much actually out of the scenarios. John refused to murder someone in exactly the way we knew he would, Sherlock managed to be emotional in exactly the way we knew he would, and Mycroft, err, I guess didn't suddenly endorse murder for the greater good? Which wasn't really something I ever saw him doing. All three setups didn't actually show us anything about the characters we didn't already know.

Plus the plane thing was sloppily executed. A trick should never rely on purely lying to the viewer, especially not if you're gonna cold open on it without any context.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm not too sure what it is that I did like. I guess the directing was pretty on point.

Podge293

If that's the last episode ever that was quite meh.

On the bright side wife's never seen any of it so get to watch it all again with her soon

Clegg

I appreciate them trying to do something different but I'm not sure they pulled it off. I'll have to rewatch.

Like a poster above said, a convoluted escape room for a finale. Disappointing considering how good the second episode was.

P.S Eurus being able to convert the governor and psychiatrist was unrealistic, this isn't the X-men.

Boem

BBC showreel that they just aired after episode for 2017 suggests otherwise. Which is a shame coz this series was fucking awful.

That was an old trailer, they didn't mean to imply there is more Sherlock coming this year. All the footage in that showreel (which again, was released earlier this year) was meant to promote the episodes we just watched. None of it was new. It just happened to be among those other new shows because it aired so early in the year and they didn't cut it out now that they aired. Sherlock is done, definitely for this year, at least for the next couple of years, possibly forever.

I liked it as usual, but some things didn't sit quite right with me. The room escape/puzzle element is fine, but it's a bit lackluster if this is really the last episode. And the brainwashing powers - eh. It would have helped if there was a scene where she convincingly drills down into someone's mind by talking to them, but the way they executed it here wasn't convincing at all. I can see them coming up with the idea and thinking it can lead to a good story (and it could), but the execution wasn't there and that makes the entire thing fall apart a bit. You can handwave logic away like that when the Joker takes over Arkham Asylum, but here it stood out a lot.

I mean, these people are supposed to be running the most secure asylum in the world. Sure, maybe someone like her can talk someone into being depressed or doubting reality, but surely they'd recognize she's fucking with them and someone would tell someone on the outside something about what was going on in there. They acted like every staff member there was hypnotized or something. Like she had superpowers.

AndyVirus

Why am I really attracted to Eurus? I must have something for the crazies.

I personally liked the episode but things were wrapped up too sudden. And when we got Mary again I could just picture people throwing things at their TV. If it really is the end, it needed a better Sherlock/Molly finale.

Fuck me I hate the mental crap in the last couple episodes. Gives the writers an excuse to throw anything in and the show suffers from it I think.

And that Mary ending. WHHHHHHHHHY. They could've done something classy but they want full on schmaltz and came across as sucking themselves off.

If it's done I'm glad, it's definitely run its course. Still liked episode 2 this series well enough at least.

Eumi

So, err, just a question, but where was the well? Was it in Euros' room? Because if so how on earth did she hide that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom