• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not confirmed: see that radiotimes interview with the creators above. They'd like to do more but nothing is certain, and they say it's definitely possible this was the last series. Also Martin Freeman has been heavily implying he's done with the part in recent interviews. He doesn't want to play the part for too long and felt this was a nice point to end it on.

That article you linked to is based on a misquote. Mark Gatiss has since explained that they planned out the Christmas special and series 4 at that point, not series 4 and 5. People often repeat that article but it's simply based on a misunderstanding.

Whelp, I'm full of shit. Please ignore me. Though man, a retraction or update in those articles would be nice.

Just like last week, a great episode until an anticlimactic ending which saw my excitement dropping quite quickly. Particularly because all these childhood twists felt like pulled out of thin air. What was with Euros saying Redbeard to Moriarty? I thought in the end there'd be something much crazier, especially since she's magically hypnotizing people and all. Still, even though yet not another case, the whole Joker-esque setting was fun with some decent character moments.

I'm also disappointed that last series' finale saw no consequences, but I expected that ever since season 3 ended. Not sure how to feel if viewed as the series' finale either, despite certain things coming full circle in some way.

OmegaFax

I didn't like the finale. Thought it held up alright at the beginning and then descended into this weird Arkham Asylum bullshit that wore thin very quick.

sora87

I really hope we get another season that's more like the first, this one kinda went off the rails a bit with the family drama and john's dilemmas.

Davide

Darn, I PVRed the SD version so it looks like I have to buy it on iTunes.

Haven't seen the finale yet but I'd rank the series like this, anyone agree?
1-3 The Great Game
2-1 The Reichenbach Fall
1-1 A Study in Pink
2-1 A Scandal in Belgravia
1-2 The Blind Banker
4-2 The Lying Detective
3-2 The Sign of Three
3-3 His Last Vow
3-1 The Empty Hearse
2-2 The Hounds of Baskerville
4-1 The Six Thatchers

I didn't even dislike The Six Thatchers at all. It's so weird watching Season 4 for me because I started watching in 2014 and just binge watched the first three seasons.

Goodstyle

So Moriarty used Eurus as a big contingency to his plan if he failed to beat Sherlock... but she took that as an opportunity to work out some personal issues instead... sure. Ok. She had a lot of great build up... but turned out to be ordinary. Jim would be disappointed.

So Moriarty used Eurus as a big contingency to his plan if he failed to beat Sherlock... but she took that as an opportunity to work out some personal issues instead... sure. Ok. She had a lot of great build up... but turned out to be ordinary. Jim would be disappointed.

I knew I was right with the whole Moriarty thing. I just wish they didn't tack on the stupid emotions bullshit.

I thought it was a decent episode.
The second episode was definitely the strongest, in my opinion.

I'm hoping now that Mary has passed and Moriarty is over, they can finally get back to solving mysteries instead of these grandiose affairs.

Man, reading tumblr right now

X3TeVee.gif

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It was a good episode, but I'd agree that it was really anti-climactic. At this point, I'm fine with it being the end. Not sure where else they can take it.

Kito

The dog and the girl on the plane should've been left for the imagination of viewers instead of forcing misinterpretation. There is no cheaper way of making a plot twist than to present a clip as a fact and then just call it a dream.

The episode was mediocre up until Sherlock finds Euros, and then it just descends into a race to end the episode as quickly as possible.

1/5

Bakkus

Meh, really stupid, with the typical 'escape the room' cliches. Also it's pretty bad to not know whether you're gonna make another season or not. Though with the quality of this season, I wouldn't mind the series to end.

Wait a second, how did Watson climb that rope if he was chained up.

I assumed it was tied to the helicopter and they flew him out.

Neidii

I just... what. What did I just watch.

After having thought about it for a bit I think I didn't like this episode much. Some parts were quite good, the acting was great. But in the end the whole thing fels so badly pieced together, the end left me feeling completely unsatisfied, complete anticlimax.

Wtf was with that cheap plane part. Oh turns out it's just the crazy sister acting?? I wanted to like this ep. and I'm all for strange things but this just had me sitting there going "wtf is this" several times. I liked the sister being like an evil mastermind though, pretty cool start. Interesting character, really creepy. So many weird twists, and then it ends so abruptly with Sherlock and Watson in a freeze-frame all cheesy. Considering that people were killed and what happened during the episode, it just felt so out of place. I don't know, it was just weird

Like someone else said "all buildup, no punch"

I was ok with the super spy Mary stuff in the other episode but the not-real Mary following Watson around and the message she left "ohhh save him Sherlock, but to save him you have to make him save you~~~~" It was really stupid. I don't know. Ugh. Now the more I think about it the less I like the whole thing. I think I enjoyed the earlier seasons more.

Capra

In the beginning of the series, we meet a man who is so divorced from "normal" human understanding he has to use the "slightly abnormal" John Watson as his surrogate.

In the finale, we meet someone who is so "in the sky" and divorced from human understanding she has to use the former as her surrogate to understand "normal" humans.

It definitely could be better, but I'd be satisfied if this was the series finale.

I liked it, but man I am disappointed in how they handled Eurus. She could have been so much more. As someone said earlier, Jim truly would be disappointed.

I loved the episode. *shrug*

I thought she was doing these tests to know how to handle Sherlock in future episodes but guess not.

Also I wonder what Eurus and Jim said to each other.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So we all agree that A Scandal in Belgravia is still the best episode?

Good.

You're damn right it is. I rewatched all the episodes before the return and I still think that's the best overall episode.

My ranking would be:

A Scandal in Belgravia
A Study in Pink
The Great Game
The Sign of Three
The Reichenbach Fall
The Abominable Bride
The Empty Hearse
His Last Vow
The Lying Detective
The Hounds of Baskerville
The Six Thatchers
The Blind Banker

After having just finished watching The Final Problem, I'd probably put it above His Last Vow. I'm going to let it marinate in my brain before I go with that though.

Some of the episodes are hard for me to rank because nearly all of them have moments that I thoroughly enjoyed. I measure it by if the episode keeps my attention.

Otnopolit

I think it was a great wrap up, and honestly some of the emotional subjects of the childhood recollections I identified very deep with.

Writing was a little on the nose, and the scenario just barely made it to believability in terms of setting up realism of the plot, but it just teetered over the edge halfway.

Very emotional end, and a very very VERY dark episode, indeed. I wish they gave more time to come back from the insanity with Erus to the triumphant end.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Molly scene was crushing, easily the highlight of the episode.

It was a weird episode, it never quite felt like the writers got a handle of the story that they wanted to tell with this episode and as a result it kind of kept building up lots of different things. All of those build ups kept you tense and thinking that they were going to culminate into something insanely important but the finale hit me like a wet noodle, despite having some of the most insanely tense and emotionally dark moments of the show. The plane reveal being Eurus acting out her metaphor was just so um unnecessary? Because by the time they get ready to reveal it I was kind of done caring about the doomed flight lol.

I think it had some of the most interesting character moments because the dynamic was awesome but it was just such a weird episode overall. The whole prison thing with the SAW jigsaw style life or death puzzles wasn't exactly something new to the series (hell it was how Moriarty operated 80% of the time) but it wasn't exactly interesting this time around. I still don't understand why Eurus even had to be a prisoner? And they never really touched on how she traveled freely to visit Sherlock that one night (or were we just meant to infer that she basically had the entire facility under her spell so she could do whatever she wanted?).

The episode was just absolutely strange.

That was alright.

Episode two was better.

But this fucking show.

It hates Molly Hooper.

I really can't imagine Molly being ok with Sherlock:
1. hanging up on her immediately after that conversation (and SERIOUSLY, it was so obvious what it would take for Molly to say "I love you" -- was it that hard to just blurt out those words if he thought her life was in danger??)

Or

2. having him tell her afterwards, "Oh, see, I have a criminally insane sister and in order to save you from her -- well, not really because your flat wasn't really rigged with explosives, it was just a mind game -- I had to get you to say 'I love you', so I told you that I loved you first and you repeated it like I knew you would..."

Like how was the last shot of her not throwing dismembered corpse parts at him?

Joqu

I liked it. It was messy for sure and like with a lot of these episodes the resolution wasn't nearly as interesting as the premise, but the stakes worked for me and I loved the character dynamics we got out of it. It's by no means one of my favourite Sherlock season finales and as a potential series finale I think there's still too much I want to see from Sherlock, I especially still want more regular old case solving episodes that don't have huge overarching plot importance, I feel like there's more to be done with Lestrade and Molly, and somehow, as cheesy as it might be, I'd love to get more Moriarty stuff. Proper Moriarty stuff.

Euros meanwhile while she was effective in the episode is not a character I ever want to see more of. But I can't think of anything you should do with her at this point anyway, outside of being a background element. She got her resolution.

But yeah, I thought it was good, and since it didn't end on a cliffhanger any wait will feel bearable to me if more happens and if it doesn't I can come to terms with that. So I do feel satisfied for the most part. But it's not like this is an ending that doesn't leave room for more, so do I want more? Sure. It's just all up to the actors in the end.

Weird episode. It had great moments but overall was flat. A few things:
1)That mind control thing? Yeah it's "manipulation" but it was presented more like an X-Men thing or something. Really dumb.
2)When Jim visited Eurus I was sure he was gonna handle her the Faith's letter (it is implied that a "mutual" friend of Eurus and Culvertun gave her the letter...so Moriarty or Magnussen perhaps). Would've been a nice touch.
3)I agree with the fact that the whole plane scenes were unnecesary. It would've been better if we only heard the voice of the girl and let the rest of the things up to our imaginations.
4)Eurus said that Moriarty had a brother who worked at a train station and was jelaous of him (or something like that). If BBC decide to make a 5th season...they won't "revive" Moriarty by explaining that the guy who blew his brains out was actually Jim's brother and that the "real Moriarty" is alive, right? That would be lazy writing
pls do it

I don't know...the final scene with that cheesy speach was really nice. Made me a little emotional. If it's the end of the show, it's fine. And if they decide to continue, it's also fine.

Otnopolit

After seeing some of the reaction and conclusions from Reddit, there are so many emotional through lines in this episode that highlight serious and intentional character growth since the very start of the series. Sherlock becoming a great man like Greg wished for, John developing his moral compass after the passing of Mary, Sherlock learning how to "save the life" instead of always just "solving the crime" when he helped Euros. (John taught him that.)

So many chickens come to the roost. And capping it off with "The junkie who solves crimes to get high and the doctor who never came home from the war". Just spectacular.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Like how was the last shot of her not throwing dismembered corpse parts at him?

I got the impression that the reason it was hard for him to say was either because he meant it, because if it was just about saving her life I think he would have just blurted it out and gotten it over with.

So it's possible that in that final montage the implication of a happy molly showing up was that they got together? I guess?

Media

Adored it, as always. Finally Victor Trevor! And AS SOON as Mycroft started telling him to shoot John I knew he was trying to piss him off and started bawling ugh.

I would hate for this to be the last episode though.

Otnopolit

I got the impression that the reason it was hard for him to say was either because he meant it, because if it was just about saving her life I think he would have just blurted it out and gotten it over with.

So it's possible that in that final montage the implication of a happy molly showing up was that they got together? I guess?

I read they wrote and shot that scene last minute, it almost didn't make it in. I'm guessing they didn't have time to film Molly's fallout and, also, there probably wasn't enough time left in the cut to justify it being in anyway.

Yeah, I believe that Sherlock does love Molly (but in the way that he loves John or Mrs Hudson) but I just don't see them together at all... so I'm choosing to believe that the scene with happy Molly was far into the future, after she's thrown rotting kidneys at him and gotten it all out of her system. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I read they wrote and shot that scene last minute, it almost didn't make it in. I'm guessing they didn't have time to film Molly's fallout and, also, there probably wasn't enough time left in the cut to justify it being in anyway.

That would make sense, that whole montage felt very last minute. I just kinda hope that molly doesn't get totally obliterated lol, this show really hates her.

Also something interesting I just remembered, doesn't Moriarty basically say "the final problem" a million times in the season 2 finale?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That explosion lmao

An extremely tense scene that was ruined by really bad CG. They should have just had an explosion and left it ambiguous until the following scene. I foresee that window jump gif getting some mileage around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom