• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Pezus

How should the weapon stats effect your character? I'm using the saw blade so should I be putting points into anything in particular? Am I screwed if I eventually change weapons?

I'm in Old Yharnam now, is there a shortcut to unlock before this boss?
Regarding stats: Look at the stats of your weapon and you will see letters below the icons for strength, skill, bloodtinge etc. The higher the letter, the more effect upping that stat will have (example: If your weapon says B for strength and E for skill, you are best off if you upgrade your strength - that will increase its attack the most).

Yes, there is. You need to go past the hunter and into a church of some sort with loads of enemies. Then, when you find the exit to the church you will see a ladder close to the building. Climb up, and open the gate and that is your shortcut!

How should the weapon stats effect your character? I'm using the saw blade so should I be putting points into anything in particular? Am I screwed if I eventually change weapons?

I'm in Old Yharnam now, is there a shortcut to unlock before this boss?

There are two. But you need to make it past the Gatling hunter and the many werewolves.

First shortcut is the elevator looking thing near the bottom of the Gatling hunters tower. To do that, you need to fight your way through to the bottom of the cathedral. If you keep following that path (with its many twists and turns) right at end you should be able to climb a ladder to open the gate at the top.

The next shortcut is past the werewolves. Right before the ladder there is an alleyway off to the right. Takes you into a mini village infested with werewolves. You cross a small bridge after killing two werewolves. Another one explodes out of a door if you keep moving forward slightly. After killing the wolf you can climb the tower and open a door and climb a ladder to put you right outside the lamp area pretty much. This shortcut allows you to pretty much just flat out sprint to BSB.

bluehat9

Played for like 2 hours last night, got to first boss and died but at least I can level up now I think? Killed some guys to buy some of the hunter gear too. Never really tried the souls games for more than a couple hours, but this one seems a bit faster with the dodging rather than shield blocking which I like. Like the setting better too.

Is this beginning more linear than the souls games? I only played whatever one came free with ps+ and felt like there were too many different ways to go at beginning? with bloodborne I ended up going the wrong way but it was just a shortcut back to the start which ended up being great. Is that how souls is too but I was just too impatient to see it?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Regarding stats: Look at the stats of your weapon and you will see letters below the icons for strength, skill, bloodtinge etc. The higher the letter, the more effect upping that stat will have (example: If your weapon says B for strength and E for skill, you are best off if you upgrade your strength - that will increase its attack the most).

Yes, there is. You need to go past the hunter and into a church of some sort with loads of enemies. Then, when you find the exit to the church you will see a ladder close to the building. Climb up, and open the gate and that is your shortcut!

There are two. But you need to make it past the Gatling hunter and the many werewolves.

First shortcut is the elevator looking thing near the bottom of the Gatling hunters tower. To do that, you need to fight your way through to the bottom of the cathedral. If you keep following that path (with its many twists and turns) right at end you should be able to climb a ladder to open the gate at the top.

The next shortcut is past the werewolves. Right before the ladder there is an alleyway off to the right. Takes you into a mini village infested with werewolves. You cross a small bridge after killing two werewolves. Another one explodes out of a door if you keep moving forward slightly. After killing the wolf you can climb the tower and open a door and climb a ladder to put you right outside the lamp area pretty much. This shortcut allows you to pretty much just flat out sprint to BSB.

Thanks, I'm using the hunter gear still, should I buy Gascoigne's gear instead? It Didn't seem to be much better. Doesn't seem to be a lot of armor in the game so far.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I went to U
pper Cathedral
and fought C
elestial Emissary
. I beat him on my 6th try, which I find kind of embarrassing, because he should be one of, if not, the easiest boss in the game. Oh well, still managed to take it down! My excuse is that my weapon was in really bad shape, I didn't realize it, and I thought that I was doing no damage because I was underleveled/haven't upgraded my main weapon enough. The fight was way different with a repaired weapon.

I also
tried the 2nd boss of the area, Ebrietas. I was doing hardly any damage to her with my main weapon...I think I will call it a night and figure her out tomorrow.

Pezus

Thanks, I'm using the hunter gear still, should I buy Gascoigne's gear instead? It Didn't seem to be much better. Doesn't seem to be a lot of armor in the game so far.
I'm still using the gear I bought near the beginning of the game. I think the different armor is mainly for looks and some slight stat differences.

I dunno lol. You shouldn't realllllly need it. I've been using my gear I found in the sewers still. I've also helped a bunch of people to beat this. I really do think it makes it a tonne easier if you summon someone. With that you can have one person on either side so when it attacks one, the other can attack it. This is how I beat it the first time. Also molotovs and fire paper are awesome for this. And remember to stock up on antidotes. The poison drains fucking fast so keep an eye on the health bar anytime you get close since that motherfucker just oozes poison all over the place. Keep your distance

inki

I hit a small wall with
Amelia
so I took a break and did some chalice dungeons. I highly suggest going in there to take a break from the game. I'm really enjoying them. The bosses are cool and I like that I'm seeing enemies not in the normal game. Plus I'm getting some good souls and already found an
Uncanny Saw Cleaver

I hit a small wall with
Amerlia
so I took a break and did some chalice dungeons. I highly suggest going in there to take a break from the game. I'm really enjoying them. The bosses are cool and I like that I'm seeing enemies not in the normal game. Plus I'm getting some good souls and already found an uncanny weapon.

I am in the same boat, I can't kill her for some reason lol..got her very close yesterday using fire paper but ended up getting caught in a corner. My stupidity for not backing her away from it. I was getting frantic cause she was so close lol.

I too went in and messed around in the first Chalice dungeon. They are pretty neat.

Smidget

I saved a video of me taking her out without using any potions/items in like 1.5 minutes. The trick is to stay behind her and hit her in the right arm or head. She becomes really easy that way.

If you're interested (it's short!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ytj__fm9E

How leveled up is your weapon? I only have a +3 cane at this point and I think that is my biggest issue with that boss and the chalice dungeon one I'm stuck on.

vg260

Played for a couple hours, and so far it's more frustrating than fun to me. I guess it's still early on, but nothing really clicking yet. I feel like for my time with the game, I've had very little combat, and not much of it felt very fun or rewarding yet. I've only progressed past the monster with the brick, so I've probably only scratched the surface. There's probably some equipment or mechanic thing I'm missing, so I need to read up somewhere I guess or watch the basic tutorial video in the OT thread again.

The load times are a major annoyance as is that chromatic aberration effect used on the sides of the screen. I'd seen that before and people talking about it in this game, and while I didn't notice it at first and thought people were overreacting, it's really starting to annoy me as well. I find it actually disorienting, not just an aesthetic gripe, when the camera is moving around and I'm trying to scope out what's lurking around in the environment not directly in front of me.

Gonna play some more over the weekend to see if I start to make more progress, but my gut feeling is that I have too many gripes with the game to enjoy it. I'll give it more time and see. Fortunately it's a rental, so I don't have too much invested.

So what are you guys finding the best way to invest blood echoes to your build? I'm currently level 22 and have:

21 Vitality
11 Endurance
14 Strength
13 Skill
7 Bloodtinge
6 Arcane

Where should I be pumping my points too? I'm thinking of either going Strength or Endurance next. Thoughts?

Diablos54

So I've beaten the first 2 bosses, and explored everywhere I can think off but I have no clue where to go next! Can anyone help?

So what are you guys finding the best way to invest blood echoes to your build? I'm currently level 22 and have:

21 Vitality
11 Endurance
14 Strength
13 Skill
7 Bloodtinge
6 Arcane

Where should I be pumping my points too? I'm thinking of either going Strength or Endurance next. Thoughts?
For you, endurance, yours is pretty low. the more you have the more you can swing and dodge.

thechemist

Hey guys, just beat cleric beast on my third attempt was such a incredible feeling! Any tips on what to spend these blood echoes on which it dropped (I bought the first set of gear), using a cane but I think I may switch to sword or whatever.

Is it worth getting the kirkhammer?

gunstarhero

Quick question: I beat Cleric Beast (yay) and recently got up to the second boss where I expectantly got my ass handed to me.

Been watching some vids of other people fighting him and every one seems to have 6-7 insight points, however I only have 5.

Did I miss something (like an optional boss) on my way to the second boss?

gunstarhero

Hey guys, just beat cleric beast on my third attempt was such a incredible feeling! Any tips on what to spend these blood echoes on which it dropped (I bought the first set of gear), using a cane but I think I may switch to sword or whatever.

Is it worth getting the kirkhammer?

Kirkhammer is awesome - totally worth the price IMO.

Also consider spending those points with the doll to level up!

Flyinmunky

I think i have over leveled too much. I got stuck on the 4th boss
Amelia

so i grinded for bit and looked for secrets etc.. upgraded axe to +6 and also the
(bolt mace)

Il have to recheck but think im lvl 50. I smashed the next two bosses.
Witch and shadows

inisght is at 18. Finding the game to be too easy at moment. Hoping difficulty catches up with my level

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Well, im in
Old Yahrnam
now. I was able to beat both NPC's. The
machine gunner
was actually a lot easier than I thought. Took me a few tries, but when I got it, it took me all of 5 seconds to
push him off the ledge
. Now all that awaits me since I have unlicked all of the shortcuts is to take on the boss.

FYI the Gascoigne attire is bad-ass!!

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Demon's Souls was the only souls game I played. I never beat it but after playing Bloodborne, I appreciate that game considerably more. I prefer Demon's Souls levels to Bloodborne's (Tower of Latria in my mouth). Don't get me wrong, Bloodborne is commendable in its own right with how it manages a huge interwoven world with several entrances and exits and twists and turns. But man, I really am tired of the setting after 20 hours.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm only at the very beginning. Loving it so far but I have a feeling it's going to be a love / hate relationship with this game.

It's great. But I was told that it's best to perhaps store your blood vials in storage? How about quicksilver bullets / molotovs etc?

For those of you who have beaten V
icar
A
melia
, how much did you use lock-on during the fight? I'm wondering if using it too much is making it more difficult.

danowat

Banned
I'm only at the very beginning. Loving it so far but I have a feeling it's going to be a love / hate relationship with this game.

It's great. But I was told that it's best to perhaps store your blood vials in storage? How about quicksilver bullets / molotovs etc?

Any you collect over the max allowed in your inventory automatically go into your storage

ive gone through the ward like 3 times to no avail... Do I have to buy the key?
Buying the key is the next main area, there's also an optional area.if you go left out the entrance near the lantern, down the stairs to where there's some villagers and a dog. There's a path to a new area there but it's hidden

Diablos54

Well I guess I'll go there (to the lamp) and then I'll summon you (after we match passwords. The one from the OP)

I'll inv you to party first
God damn it I have to jet... If you're still around later I'd he happy to!

Buying the key is the next main area, there's also an optional area.if you go left out the entrance near the lantern, down the stairs to where there's some villagers and a dog. There's a path to a new area there but it's hidden
Ahhhh I see thanks a lot man!

phen0m24

Have to laugh. This morning a friend from Destiny GAF said "Hey let's co-op." Me being the noob to the series, I appreciate any help.

So he warps in, and not long thereafter someone invades. He says "Wait here."
He pops outside and mows the guy down.
"Yeah I've been playing a lot of PvP."

I think the guy has killed more men than smallpox. :)

So we proceed to kill
Vicar Ameila
in the blink of an eye. It was over before it started. He distracted her
and obviously caused the most damage
and I used the axe charge R2 on her.

AND THEN he says run down through the woods we're getting you to the next boss and the
rune tool
. I'm sprinting like a freak through the woods dodging dogs and bullets and get to the lamp. Then we took down some
witch(es) with what look like scallops on her back. He told me they were eyeballs.

So now I'm level 40, with a pretty beastly axe. But I have to figure out the deal with the runes. :)

Thank you kind DGAF friend - may I never face you in PvP.... you know who you are

edit: waves at reaper

phen0m24

Ah, thanks.

Is lock-on useful? I've not used it at all at this very early stage. Will I need it soon?

BB confession: Riposte. I don't think I've
ever
used it, or used it properly. I try to gauge my charged R2 to hit just as the enemy gets close enough. I'm sure I'll need to learn that eventually. Also: Visceral attacks. Not sure I've ever done one. Oops.

Runes are basically rings in Bloodborne, you need to kill a certain boss
Witch of Hemwick

Killed her. Have 6 or 7 runes already. Not sure how to apply them. (goes off to Google)

Top Bottom