• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

BB confession: Riposte. I don't think I've
ever
used it, or used it properly. I try to gauge my charged R2 to hit just as the enemy gets close enough. I'm sure I'll need to learn that eventually. Also: Visceral attacks. Not sure I've ever done one. Oops.

Killed her. Have 6 or 7 runes already. Not sure how to apply them. (goes off to Google)

Just go to the table in the hunter's dream house. You apply them like blood gems.

BB confession: Riposte. I don't think I've
ever
used it, or used it properly. I try to gauge my charged R2 to hit just as the enemy gets close enough. I'm sure I'll need to learn that eventually. Also: Visceral attacks. Not sure I've ever done one. Oops.

Killed her. Have 6 or 7 runes already. Not sure how to apply them. (goes off to Google)
Go back to hunters dream, there's a table next to the crafting bench, on its left side

As often as I stare at that screen, I consider it a "time of reflection" on my short life

It took Dhruv and I a few tries this morning - in the same place. Cathedral Ward But we eventually got it.

Huh really? I just can't select the damn thing.. I get that weird noise when I hit x on this (the noise it makes when it doesn't work.

Also, ive killed BSB so far, but I whenever i see these safe place NPCs, I never get TH option to send them anywhere. Anyone know why this is?

when you've got the poison bar up, just lock on and play ring-around-the-rosy with the beast around one of the many columns. it'll give you time to decrease the poison bar and heal if necessary.

only use an antidote if you really need to, otherwise just heal if poisoned since you (should) have 20 blood vials and only 10 antidotes.

I died so many times to BSB and was so frustrated. then I watched a bunch of youtube videos if people beating him (which does help as others have said in this thread, it's proof that his death is possible) and went and killed him using only one molotov, one antidote, and one blood vial.

I appreciate the advice. I've watched youtube videos too, but it only serves to make me more aggravated watching someone swiftly take him out, especially using the same tactics that seemingly fail for me . I know I can win, I'm just gonna have to keep trying.

I played like 15 hours of demons souls like, launch day and the day after and never went back

I beat the capra demon in DaS1 and never went back, so I feel qualified to answer in this topic

I'm not using a wiki or a guide or even really looking out for advice since I'd like to avoid doing so, but so far...

ITS NOT GOING WELL
I went with the cane at the beginning which is a fine weapon but it's about to break I think.

I'm just getting frustrated. Not with the game in any capacity, but with myself. I know what mistakes i'm making, I know what i need to do differently, but I keep falling into the same pattern and getting my ass whooped.

I sprinted passed everything and made it to the C
leric Beast?
twice, died both times almost immediately while doing less than 10% damage

I feel like this first boss is harder than the first 2 in dark souls (counting the bridge guy and then the capra) and I also have a longer run from the lamp to the boss to even retry

i started running past the villagers at the big bonfire thing because I get shot way too often for my own sanity to keep going at it and usually get killed by dogs in the next area or the wolves after that

I'm also out of potions and by the time I farm up 1 or 2 i'm having to use them to not die on whatever run I'm on so that sucks ass too.

GOTY

psychotron

I played like 15 hours of demons souls like, launch day and the day after and never went back

I beat the capra demon in DaS1 and never went back, so I feel qualified to answer in this topic

I'm not using a wiki or a guide or even really looking out for advice since I'd like to avoid doing so, but so far...

ITS NOT GOING WELL
I went with the cane at the beginning which is a fine weapon but it's about to break I think.

I'm just getting frustrated. Not with the game in any capacity, but with myself. I know what mistakes i'm making, I know what i need to do differently, but I keep falling into the same pattern and getting my ass whooped.

I sprinted passed everything and made it to the C
leric Beast?
twice, died both times almost immediately while doing less than 10% damage

I feel like this first boss is harder than the first 2 in dark souls (counting the bridge guy and then the capra) and I also have a longer run from the lamp to the boss to even retry

i started running past the villagers at the big bonfire thing because I get shot way too often for my own sanity to keep going at it and usually get killed by dogs in the next area or the wolves after that

I'm also out of potions and by the time I farm up 1 or 2 i'm having to use them to not die on whatever run I'm on so that sucks ass too.

GOTY

Sounds like you're mad at yourself and rightfully so. Want to farm more blood vials? Kill people, get a few and DON'T USE THEM. If you're going to die, then die. Rinse and repeat. Stay close to the bosses feet and attack, roll if you see a wind up, but mostly just attack the legs as close as you can possibly stand.

There is a shortcut you can open that gets you right back to that spot too.

Jisgsaw

Any quick advice for
Shadows of Yarnham
? Ganked me good :(
I got them on my second try.
Go after the spell casting one first

I'd rather say
to keep him for last. You can just pummel him as his attack is incredeably slow, so you don't have to deal with the tentacles the last of the three standing can summon, and that's a godsend.
I just beat them by first killing katana guy through riposts mainly (don't stop attacking him when he starts to transform at 20% health). Then the flamethrower guy, he isn't that hard, you just have to keep in mind you have to evade the projectiles from the third one.
And lastly the spell casting one alone is a joke, as already mentioned. Just keep attacking him so he can't summon the tentacles.

I have a very specific question about the game:

After you beat Father Gascoigne and begin to enter Old Yarnham through that sliding tomb thingy, off to the left of the lever that moves the tomb, there's another room with a hallway that leads toward a knight type of guy kneeling in front of a statue. If you approach him, he attacks, and I can't seem to kill him. Is it important to beat this guy? Does he have a good drop? If not, I'm going to completely skip him.

Jisgsaw

After you beat Father Gascoigne and begin to enter Old Yarnham through that sliding tomb thingy, off to the left of the lever that moves the tomb, there's another room with a hallway that leads toward a knight type of guy kneeling in front of a statue. If you approach him, he attacks, and I can't seem to kill him. Is it important to beat this guy? Does he have a good drop? If not, I'm going to completely skip him.

I don't know the specifics,
but he certainly didn't attack me, he talked to me. You sure you didn't attack him first?

Zafir

He's not hostile unless you attack him first.
You'll probably miss out on some weapons now he's hostile. :I He has a questline you can do.

Shibalan

Can't help you, but that's funny because :
I just met him, and he was absolutly friendly. Gave me an emote and some informations about the lore.

He's not hostile unless you attack him first.
You'll probably miss out on some weapons now he's hostile. :I He has a questline you can do.

Argh--I attacked him on accident when I first found him. So I assume I might as skip him at this point?

RiverKwai

Argh--I attacked him on accident when I first found him. So I assume I might as skip him at this point?

I accidentally attacked him and hit him once. He was like "Why are you hitting me? I just want to be bros!" And then I was like "My bad, yo. Lets be the bestest of friends!". You must have hit him more than that. :)

Adaren

The good news is that it seems to be better so far in the areas after FG. There's fewer loot-less dead ends and more armor/weapons. I'm hoping the game continues to improve in this regard; it may be my only real complaint thus far!

Yeah, just keep exploring! =)

After getting side tracked with a bunch of side areas, I finally got back around to exploring the Cathedral Ward more thoroughly, and you're absolutely right! The amount of hidden stuff is tremendous, and it tends to be much more exciting than just Vials and Bullets.

Going down the
tower
near Odeon Chapel,
coming out into an entirely new area of the city, looping back around to the Cathedral Ward, and discovering how there are AT LEAST three ways through that area was amazing!! And there was tons of loot to find along the way too. :D

It seems like my small complaints were really isolated to the initial areas of the game. Could this game actually dethrone Dark Souls as my GOAT...? :O

IISANDERII

It's going meh, ok I guess. Made it to the clerk boss after a few hours and I'm not seeing the universal praise this game gets, yet.

Waiting, dodging, learning an enemy pattern, attacking, healing. Yeah it's challenging and I like a challenge but so far it's not all that exciting, even if the atmosphere is very haunting.

Now I've finally got my insight so I can level up, I'll see how that goes....

DNAbro

So I beat it.

GOTY material.

This was me at the begining of the thread.

Never played a souls game before this. It's hard.

Also nowhere near GOAT status as some people are saying. Though I'm only about to fight the second boss.

ANELIA DOWN! One try too. Thanks Pezus for the vid. Helped me know where to go for. Did have help though from one person.

Still that's BSB and her down first time. This is great

danowat

Banned
I must confess, although it's a pretty decent romp, I certainly don't think it's GOTY material, far too much repetition and frustration for my liking, I reckon people are just masochistic!!! I blame 50 shades!

I can never see me finishing it as it stands, I had enough trouble beating CB and FG, so I imagine the bosses further in will prove a bigger problem.

Yeah, I hit him with a super attack because I'm stupid. He no longer wants to be friends.

Unless you're going for the platinum on a single playthrough, there's not a lot you are going to miss :)

I must confess, although it's a pretty decent romp, I certainly don't think it's GOTY material, far too much repetition and frustration for my liking, I reckon people are just masochistic!!! I blame 50 shades!

I can never see me finishing it as it stands, I had enough trouble beating CB and FG, so I imagine the bosses further in will prove a bigger problem.

Father G is actually one of the harder bosses, so if you were able to beat him I'm pretty sure you can make it through. If you are dying a lot outside of bosses, try to be more careful. Almost all deaths out there can be avoided :)
A good thing to keep in mind is, don't insist on killing your enemy no matter what. Don't get greedy, back up if you take a lot of damage, and think how you can deal with him before approaching him again!

Adaren

So I beat it.

GOTY material.

Congrats! Reminds me of my reaction to Dark Souls...

First time DaS player -> Finally beat Capra -> "I think I'm done with this game, it's frustrating and unfair"
Pick up DaS on a whim -> Suddenly realize that it's pretty darn good -> Go on to clear it half a dozen times and consider it one of the best games I've ever had the fortune of playing

I don't think I've ever 180'd on a game so hard before.

Moonkeis

After one too many climbs up the tower in
Old Yarhnam
, I finally shot the bastard down to his death. My previous 7 attempts just never went as planned. I can sleep well in the night now...

danowat

Banned
Father G is actually one of the harder bosses, so if you were able to beat him I'm pretty sure you can make it through. If you are dying a lot outside of bosses, try to be more careful. Almost all deaths out there can be avoided :)
A good thing to keep in mind is, don't insist on killing your enemy no matter what. Don't get greedy, back up if you take a lot of damage, and think how you can deal with him before approaching him again!

I am fine outside of the bosses, it's only the bosses that give me grief.

Jisgsaw

If its any motivation, I'm I think around the middle of the game, and Father G is by far the one having me posed the most problems.
Third and Fourth boss were quite hard too, but since then I haven't met any wall, on the contrary, I feel like the bosses are becoming easier.

I am in the same boat, I can't kill her for some reason lol..got her very close yesterday using fire paper but ended up getting caught in a corner. My stupidity for not backing her away from it. I was getting frantic cause she was so close lol.

I too went in and messed around in the first Chalice dungeon. They are pretty neat.

Still haven't made it to the 3rd boss yet...though to be fair I haven't had much time this week to play.

Slixshot

Banned
So I beat it.

GOTY material.

latest

Gonna be hard to top this game in my book. Loved it from start to finish... and going to finish it again and again and again.

w00zey

Beat the 2nd boss earlier this week and took out the
machine gun guy this morning before work (if anyone is having trouble with him run to the top and right at him and then hit him with the blunderbuss a rew times and he will fall off the end)
so I think I'm going to grind a little in that area before hitting up boss 3. Kinda funny not that I rush through games but the action is so satisfying that I love just running around killing.

What are you advanced players or regular players using as your go to combo with the saw?

I accidentally attacked him and hit him once. He was like "Why are you hitting me? I just want to be bros!" And then I was like "My bad, yo. Lets be the bestest of friends!". You must have hit him more than that. :)

Where is this guy? I didn't see him after I killed Gascoigne a while ago. Now I came back and had to kill Henryk

marcincz

I am fine outside of the bosses, it's only the bosses that give me grief.

If its any motivation, I'm I think around the middle of the game, and Father G is by far the one having me posed the most problems.
Third and Fourth boss were quite hard too, but since then I haven't met any wall, on the contrary, I feel like the bosses are becoming easier.
Currently I am working on Father G, too. Hard as hell, but I almost killed him last time. If I used molotoves, probably I could beat him. Today I'll try again and hope this time do it.

After Father G is easier? Music for me ears.

Went to the Nightmare Frontier, someone invades me. I don't feel like dealing with it so I run back to the lamp. Lamp doesn't let me teleport. So I say F it and get ready. Here is what happens. 2 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/2VdjNlqfysc

Any reason why I didn't take any damage?

Sorry, meant to post this in OT thread.

danowat

Banned
Currently I am working on Father G, too. Hard as hell, but I almost killed him last time. If I used molotoves, probably I could beat him. Today I'll try again and hope this time do it.

Biggest tip I can give for FG is when he is in beast form, try and stay as close to him as possible, preferably on the balcony, this avoids his devastating leap attack, and always you to side dodge his swipe combo and get behind him, then just two hits, dodge, rinse repeat, I didn't even use Molotovs or the music box

Jisgsaw

I think it isn't easier per se, you just get naturally better. I guess.
For father G, I can't really help, I was lucky to beat his beast form. One tip though: his human form is easily beatable through counters.

DNAbro

Congrats! Reminds me of my reaction to Dark Souls...

First time DaS player -> Finally beat Capra -> "I think I'm done with this game, it's frustrating and unfair"
Pick up DaS on a whim -> Suddenly realize that it's pretty darn good -> Go on to clear it half a dozen times and consider it one of the best games I've ever had the fortune of playing

I don't think I've ever 180'd on a game so hard before.

Yeah definitely interested in From's next game, though I don't really plan on getting the Dark Souls 2 re-release. Bloodborne will keep me occupied for a while.

OneTwoTee

Banned
Got the game a few hours ago. Went with Lone Survivor, Saw and Pistol. Died a bunch at the bonfire, but it eventually clicked.

Just beaten the first two bosses on my first attempts. Father G was quite a bit harder than Cleric Beast.

w00zey

Is it the third stage that is getting you? What finally gave me the final push to beat him was using lock on for stages 1 and 2 and for 3 I turned lock on off so I could run around and heal. Also

If you get the music box from the girl at the window on the way to cleric beat (the gate you can't open to the left before going up the stairs where 2 normal dogs are) Then it will stun him so do it as soon as phase 3starts and go beat the shit out of him then run heal and get the last couple hits in on him.

marcincz

Is it the third stage that is getting you? What finally gave me the final push to beat him was using lock on for stages 1 and 2 and for 3 I turned lock on off so I could run around and heal. Also

If you get the music box from the girl at the window on the way to cleric beat (the gate you can't open to the left before going up the stairs where 2 normal dogs are) Then it will stun him so do it as soon as phase 3starts and go beat the shit out of him then run heal and get the last couple hits in on him.
2nd phase. However his 2nd form starts when he has 20-30% rest of his life.
Yes I have
music box
. Although I start using it during 2 stage of battle.

3- Been using Blades of Mercy for most of the game now, they scale with skill and arcane. From what I've read here, the arcane scaling doesn't kick in unless you use fire paper, bolt paper, etc, ... With the weapon. So, how does arcane scaling work with BoM since they don't work with such elements?

It'll kick in if you apply an arcane bloodgem to it.

spyder_ur

Having a blast with this so far. I bought Demon's Souls years ago but only gave it an hour or so and decided it wasn't for me.

So far the bosses I've beaten are:
Cleric Beast, BSB, Vicar Amelia, Darkbeast Paarl, the Witches, Shadows of Yharnam, and just last night I beat Rom. He was a total pain in the ass - took 3 days and was close to giving up. Just could not avoid the magic shards or whatever.

Just got to
Unseen Village
and that was a mindfuck.

And I for the life of me cannot figure out how to do any multiplayer stuff. I ring the bell and nothing happens. I see the Gaf passcode but I don't even know what it's used for. I get that this game's thing is vagueness, but not being able to figure this out is frustrating.

And I haven't encountered it yet, but what is the point of PVP? Like what benefits does the winner get?

RiverKwai

Where is this guy? I didn't see him after I killed Gascoigne a while ago. Now I came back and had to kill Henryk

He's in the upstairs of the cathedral with the lever you pull to open up the stairs after you open the Odeon gate.

Once you get up to the balcony area, there's a door and he's outside at the bottom of some steps.

I think his name is Alfred, but I can't remember for sure.

Top Bottom