• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Blood Starved Beast
is killing me, lol. I get him down to like 5% energy but he somehow always gets me. I don't get it!! Can you buy more fire paper? I know I can get antidote and molotovs. Also I know that you can throw beast blood and it distracts him, but I'm all out. It's the poisoning that really does me in, but I can't pop antidote quick enough to keep up.

Why don't you summon the NPC? Ring the bell when you get to the note on the bottom right of the big staircase.

Killed BSB in less than 5 minutes by using him. It's cheap but it works :p

Am I the only person who left the gunner guy alive? Need to go back and see if he's still aggressive...

psychotron

Why don't you summon the NPC? Ring the bell when you get to the note on the bottom right of the big staircase.

Killed BSB in less than 5 minutes by using him. It's cheap but it works :p

Am I the only person who left the gunner guy alive? Need to go back and see if he's still aggressive...

Summon the NPC? I haven't summoned anyone yet. I thought you could invite other players to help by using the bell. I've been doing this all solo so far.

Filter

I did it on accident (didn't shoot him though, I knocked him off with my cane) as long as you get his badge it's all good lol.

If the badge doesn't appear on the rooftop where you are standing because it fell off with him, then exit the game and reopen it. And the item should be next to the gun.

Rizific

Got a couple of attempts in for the boss in the forest...i have no idea how I'm going to kill this boss. And the long ass run to get there after dying is annoying.

I feel like I'm the only person that got bored with this game fast

Nah man, I'm a little bored of it myself, guess we are in the minority though like already said.

I just came in expecting a truly difficult game that would keep me challenged and hold my attention all the way through, but I've beat most bosses including the optional ones in one or two go's and I'm getting ready to fight Micolash. It's not near as hard as some people have made it out to be. The game is still definitely the best I've played this year though.

Summon the NPC? I haven't summoned anyone yet. I thought you could invite other players to help by using the bell. I've been doing this all solo so far.

Yeah you can summon
Alfred assuming you didn't kill him yet. He's the dude who was down praying at the Cathedral ward.

If you go on the left side of the building around to where you pull the lever to open the tomb. Continue out the door and he will be standing there. He will give you Fire Paper during this encounter.

As you descend towards the chapel to fight BSB,on the first staircase you will find a note on the right hand side saying that you can summon him. It says something about pray/praying Use the Beckoning Bell whilst standing on the note and he will be summoned.

You can also summon him at a note for CB. But that is obviously only possible if you miss out CB first and go to the Cathedral Ward instead. I actually think From meant for that to happen first before meeting CB as it would have made that fight trivial :p

psychotron

Yeah you can summon
Alfred assuming you didn't kill him yet. He's the dude who was down praying at the Cathedral ward.

If you go on the left side of the building around to where you pull the lever to open the tomb. Continue out the door and he will be standing there. He will give you Fire Paper during this encounter.

As you descend towards the chapel to fight BSB,on the first staircase you will find a note on the right hand side saying that you can summon him. It says something about pray/praying Use the Beckoning Bell whilst standing on the note and he will be summoned.

I definitely didn't kill him. Can't wait to try this! Thanks!

No idea? This game doesn't have many falls compared to the Souls games.

In the Cathedral Ward when you
unlock the door to the elevator, and make your way to the Healing Church. If you venture down the tower, ho boy does it become a test of your Souls platforming skills. It's tough but doable to make it to the bottom without dying, but I can spy a door and it's been a bitch trying to get to it. And I know some sods have managed to get to it, I can spy their notes, taunting me.

MSMrRound

Currently I'm level 28. Hanging around at Old Yharham.

Vit 12
Endurance: 18
Str: 17
Skill: 14
Bloodtinge: 8
Arcane: 9

Any tips on which stats I should go for? Btw...I managed to get a shortcut opened (the one near the rogue hunter accompanying the gatling gun guy)...but where do I go to open the shortcut for the spiraling staircase building?

Noobcraft

Currently I'm level 28. Hanging around at Old Yharham.

Vit 12
Endurance: 18
Str: 17
Skill: 14
Bloodtinge: 8
Arcane: 9

Any tips on which stats I should go for? Btw...I managed to get a shortcut opened (the one near the rogue hunter accompanying the gatling gun guy)...but where do I go to open the shortcut for the spiraling staircase building?
You will be better off with a lot of vitality.

colormage1

Neo Member
So I ended up playing more despite saying I wouldn't.

Mainly because I was able to do the souls hack before the update, so I got mega leveled up and the game became more tolerable.

It still wasn't that great. But I was enjoying myself. And it made some of the very apparent errors of the game much more obvious - being forced to go back to dream world to then teleport somewhere else make no sense at all.

So I'm basically invincible. And I'm loving it.

Then I take this elevator. Then I cross a bridge where people are shooting me. I kill things and climb up a tower. I go all the way up top, the door is locked. Whatever. My boyfriend says it unlocks something. On my way back down, I climb down a ladder. Get off the ladder. And die.

I'm not sure what happened. But whatever. Sometimes stupid stuff like that happens.

I awaken 40 seconds later because this game is awful. And I go and run to the elevator. And die. Because the elevator wasn't there and I just fall through the ground. Because this game doesn't reset elevators. Because it's garbage. (Okay, I know there are reasons why the game does that. I get it.)

So I lost 16,000 souls because I fell twice. Both times I think are inexcusable regardless of me screwing up as a player. (I would argue I didn't.) Because what modern games don't have boundaries to prevent that stuff? And I'm talking about instant death barriers where players would only accidently fall.

Because I sighed and stopped playing. But then my boyfriend (God bless his heart) really wanted me to keep on playing. So I went inside the tower. To only discover this game was now a platformer with the worst controls ever. It's abominable.

And to anyone that says, "The game is supposed to be hard." You're not wrong. But being hard should stem from fighting against enemies. Not awful design choices where you can just fall to your death.

Mainly because I was able to do the souls hack before the update, so I got mega leveled up and the game became more tolerable.

It still wasn't that great. But I was enjoying myself. And it made some of the very apparent errors of the game much more obvious - being forced to go back to dream world to then teleport somewhere else make no sense at all.

Then I take this elevator. Then I cross a bridge where people are shooting me. I kill things and climb up a tower. I go all the way up top, the door is locked. Whatever. My boyfriend says it unlocks something. On my way back down, I climb down a ladder. Get off the ladder. And die.

I'm not sure what happened. But whatever. Sometimes stupid stuff like that happens.

I awaken 40 seconds later because this game is awful. And I go and run to the elevator. And die. Because the elevator wasn't there and I just fall through the ground. Because this game doesn't reset elevators. Because it's garbage. (Okay, I know there are reasons why the game does that. I get it.)

So I lost 16,000 souls because I fell twice. Both times I think are inexcusable regardless of me screwing up as a player. (I would argue I didn't.) Because what modern games don't have boundaries to prevent that stuff? And I'm talking about instant death barriers where players would only accidently fall.

Because I sighed and stopped playing. But then my boyfriend (God bless his heart) really wanted me to keep on playing. So I went inside the tower. To only discover this game was now a platformer with the worst controls ever. It's abominable.

And to anyone that says, "The game is supposed to be hard." You're not wrong. But being hard should stem from fighting against enemies. Not awful design choices where you can just fall to your death.

I liked that elevators didn't reset... Evey time I used one I made sure to send it back. I don't see how that's a bad design choice.

Rizific

where the heck do I go after killing the Witch?
I think that depends on which bosses you've killed so far. But I had the same question and for me it was to the forest. On the way up to fight amelia, there is a graveyard area with two of those huge axe wielding skeletons(?). As of now they should be kneeling. A behind one of them is a path that leads to a door that asks for a password. If you already killed amelia, you will know the password.

Lonnie413

Picked it up today, not sure its for me. Not having a good time. Might be the second game I trade in the day after I bought it.

Maybe it's just not for you. The game doesn't kill you cheaply; death is always avoidable. If you're still dying repeatedly after cheating, maybe you just aren't good at it, which is fine. But blaming poor playing ability on the game is a bit silly.

I mean, in part I get it, that you are frustrated. But at the same time, the game does require patience from you. I don't really know how you can chalk falling off into a hole because the elevator didn't reset as something that wasn't your fault.

It's consistent with the game world. Enemies respawn, shortcuts and the world stays the same.

Okay I need some help and the other thread is moving to fast... I just killed that blood thirst beast however after I killed him his poison finished me off before I had a chance to collect from him... I didn't care but now I'm facing a series of locked doors everywhere and I'm wondering if he had something I needed... anyone?

Okay I need some help and the other thread is moving to fast... I just killed that blood thirst beast however after I killed him his poison finished me off before I had a chance to collect from him... I didn't care but now I'm facing a series of locked doors everywhere and I'm wondering if he had something I needed... anyone?

Blood-starved Beast? No, he/she doesn't drop anything for locked doors.

I've been loving BB. Going to finally switch over to my DS4 for my PC... But I have a few questions:

InputWrapper or DS4Windows?

Is it worth getting those Xbox One analog sticks?

I'm gonna be using my DS4 now because I want similarity when I play DaS.

You fell because there wasn't an elevator there.

Then where am I supposed to go after. ..I noticed the cathedral lamp has a door that's now open on the right but when I get to the top of that area the door is locked. ..

Instead of going to the top, try heading to the bottom.

Spoilers for exact directions:
On the very first floor on the outside, you can jump down to an area below. There's a bit of a jumping puzzle you have to do where you jump from one wooden piece to the next. Bring a few health potions, a torch/lantern and try to follow the notes on the ground and/or just kind of common sense as to where to jump. At the very bottom is an enemy that's pretty tough so be careful.

This is kind of unbelievable. You walked directly into a pit - a pit that has no reason to have invisible walls blocking it. How is it not your mistake?

colormage1

Neo Member
Maybe it's just not for you. The game doesn't kill you cheaply; death is always avoidable. If you're still dying repeatedly after cheating, maybe you just aren't good at it, which is fine. But blaming poor playing ability on the game is a bit silly.

Well, I've only died from falling three times after cheating. I've beaten the first three or four bosses. And a really powerful guy on top of a tower. Every enemy I've met I've killed. Again, the only time I've died is from falling. Never from an enemy.

I mean, in part I get it, that you are frustrated. But at the same time, the game does require patience from you. I don't really know how you can chalk falling off into a hole because the elevator didn't reset as something that wasn't your fault.

It's consistent with the game world. Enemies respawn, shortcuts and the world stays the same.

Well, the only other elevator I've encountered (that I remember) has a gate that stops you from going through until it is called. But regardless, I actually can't remember another game with elevators that let you fall down the shaft and kill you like that.

Like, I'm pretty sure that is the absolute definition of bad design.

And also, I'm not even sure I was even aware until that point that the game didn't change the position of elevators after a respawn. I knew doors stayed open. I know non-boss enemies respawn. I mean, broken pots and similar objects respawn - and they are very much part of the level. They block some paths and passageways that I had to destroy them to get through.

This is kind of unbelievable. You walked directly into a pit - a pit that has no reason to have invisible walls blocking it. How is it not your mistake?

Well, technically, it was an elevator. But I understand. And I'm not saying I didn't make a mistake. I'm fully saying I walked over the edge and died.

What I'm saying is that, from what I gathered about this particular elevator and hole, the only purpose of it existing is to kill someone. There was nothing down there. It exists to kill players who make a very simple and innocent mistake. And for a game with a huge punishment for deaths - loss of experience and loss of valuable time reloading - stuff like this is inexcusable.

Well, I've only died from falling three times after cheating. I've beaten the first three or four bosses. And a really powerful guy on top of a tower. Every enemy I've met I've killed. Again, the only time I've died is from falling. Never from an enemy.

Well, the only other elevator I've encountered (that I remember) has a gate that stops you from going through until it is called. But regardless, I actually can't remember another game with elevators that let you fall down the shaft and kill you like that.

Like, I'm pretty sure that is the absolute definition of bad design.

And also, I'm not even sure I was even aware until that point that the game didn't change the position of elevators after a respawn. I knew doors stayed open. I know non-boss enemies respawn. I mean, broken pots and similar objects respawn - and they are very much part of the level. They block some paths and passageways that I had to destroy them to get through.

Well, technically, it was an elevator. But I understand. And I'm not saying I didn't make a mistake. I'm fully saying I walked over the edge and died.

What I'm saying is that, from what I gathered about this particular elevator and hole, the only purpose of it existing is to kill someone. There was nothing down there. It exists to kill players who make a very simple and innocent mistake. And for a game with a huge punishment for deaths - loss of experience and loss of valuable time reloading - stuff like this is inexcusable.

I can't say I agree. That design seems quite in line with many other games that don't restrict a players ability to explore the environment for no reason. You fell into a hole, you died. Nothing about that screams bad design. Saying it is bad design doesn't make it so.

Edit: You seem to be intent on passing your own failings at the game as bad game design.

colormage1

Neo Member
I don't see you getting all heated up about abusing a glitch to get you far ahead in the game though.

Meh? What about the glitch? I'm glad it happened because it was the only way I was able to get through the game. Again, my boyfriend is the person who wants me to play. And I was enjoying rampaging through everything.

And honestly, I wouldn't even be nearly as upset at the game if it wasn't for the load times. Seriously. I can assure you, if I was instantly revived upon death, these complaints, while I still believe would be very valid, would become minute in comparison.

Adaren

Not sure why it matters that you've lost experience, since you seem to be rolling in it.

Bloodborne doesn't hold your hand, but it also isn't unfair. You'll make mistakes, lose your Blood Echoes, make the same mistake, lose your Echoes again, get frustrated, and then get better. You fell and died because you made false assumptions, but now you know. You won't make that same mistake again. And that means you've become a better player, purely on your own merit and not because the game made things easy for you or held your hand.

I'm not sure if someone's suggested this before, but if you exploited an experience duping glitch then you're really cheating yourself out of really playing a unique game that a lot of people consider to be among the greatest of all time. Bloodborne can be frustrating, but failure leads to improvement in a dozen different ways in this game. I'd recommend you consider not exploiting the experience glitch, even if it means starting over.

If you keep exploiting the glitch, you're guaranteed to rob yourself of a great game experience. If you don't exploit it, but persevere, improve, and become better at the game, then you may find why so many players consider this series to be their favorite of all time.

P.S. I also jumped down the elevator and lost my Blood Echoes.

P.P.S. If the load times bother you, and you're playing it because your boyfriend wants you to, then talk to your boyfriend and laugh/vent about how you died while it loads. That's what I do, and the load screens have yet to really bother me.

Dante316

You can step on the elevator to go down and step Out ..so next time if u died. It would be there waiting for you. That's what I did. Because I ran into the pit 2x roo lol.

Seik

Banned
I'm now level 45 and I've been thinking about something.

I'm mainly raising Strength, Endurance and Vitality, IIRC my class is 'army veteran' or something like that.

I never touched Arcane and only raised Bloodtinge to level 11.

Is that OK? So far I'm doing fairly fine in the game (Just reached
the forest
) so I assume that it's ok, but I just want to be sure. :p

I finally managed to find Father Gascoine :D

He immediately pushed my shit in :( Though I did get one visceral attack in on him.

Having
another hunter
be a boss fight is a super cool idea. What's this dude's deal, anyways? Why does he wanna kill me? Actually nobody spoil that please.

E: Beat him on my second try! That fight was AWESOME. I thought he was easier than the Cleric Beast, to be honest.

I'm now level 45 and I've been thinking about something.

I'm mainly raising Strength, Endurance and Vitality, IIRC my class is 'army veteran' or something like that.

I never touched Arcane and only raised Bloodtinge to level 11.

Is that OK? So far I'm doing fairly fine in the game (Just reached
the forest
) so I assume that it's ok, but I just want to be sure. :p

Your starting class only determines initial stats, you don't have to worry about it going forward.

With that said, you're doing fine. You don't need arcane or bloodtinge unless your weapon requires it. Since you are strength heavy, make sure to use and upgrade weapons with good strength scaling such as Kirk Hammer or Ludwigs Holy Blade.

zkorejo

Can anyone tell me if StakeDriver is worth 8000 echoes?. I am short on echoes and time for farming. It would be really helpful to know if its worth investing in.

No one seems to answer this in the OT. I would rather invest the echoes in levelling up instead of wasting on a weapon I may never use.

Raonak

Banned
You died because you didn't pay attention, You have to play these games very carefully, falling from places is a big part of the souls experience;

This game will not hold your hand at all, and that is fucking refreshing.

The only time where I'd say it's unfiar is an elevator that I experienced where it looked like there was a hidden area underneath at the bottom of the shaft, because there was a modelled ground, I jumped down it and died :(
A pitch black pit would've been nicer. I really should have used a shiny coin to check it out... but I was near a lamp anyway.

DSix

Banned
Meh? What about the glitch? I'm glad it happened because it was the only way I was able to get through the game. Again, my boyfriend is the person who wants me to play.
Why play a game when you don't even enjoy its main mechanics?! Just aknowledge that bb isn't your thing and move on to another one that's actually to your personal liking. Don't let someone else dictate what you play.

le.phat

All i'm reading is a bunch of excuses made for you screwing up, not the game. "Instant-death barriers" lol, if you can't face your own mistakes then this game will be torturereous. Simply put, you don't seem the 'type' for a game that isn't about handholding and powertrips.

Top Bottom