• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year Sony toutet the wedge shaped tvs for good sound out of the box and now they are back to super slim tvs...guess the thick tvs weren't that successfulll.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Razer Forge seems like the Android box to end all Android boxes. And the non restrictive PC streaming could whip the shit out of Nvidia's Shield.

Wonder when they will announce a Tablet or Phone. You know it's only a matter of time

Chris R

I'm waiting for Apple to show off their 12" Retina Macbook Air before I make a laptop purchase decision. The Dell is very tempting at first glance though, even at the price.

My MBA isn't bad, but the battery has been pretty shit the past few years. I'll have to configure the Dell (whenever it shows up on their site...) and see how much my ideal config would run. I'm not married to the Mac ecosystem at all and don't mind Windows 8 now that I know how to tweak stuff to my liking. I'd assume I'd be able to turn the touch screen stuff as well.

edit: The current options offered to customize the Dell are rather lacking. You can't get QHD without touch. You can't change the CPU in any of the models. Why can't I get QHD with no touch, an i7 and 128GB SSD :( Might just get the i5 non-touch version. $999 is a good price for the hardware depending on how well it reviews when various sites get one in.

jonnyp

Last year Sony toutet the wedge shaped tvs for good sound out of the box and now they are back to super slim tvs...guess the thick tvs weren't that successfulll.

Which is kind of understandable. If you have the money for an expensive TV, you most probably have a great sound system as well. Can't understand how Sony was not aware of this in the first place.

Having said that, I hate TVs being thin for the sake of being thin. It does not matter to me if a TV is 2 inches thick or half an inch. I'd gladly take a thicker set for better image quality and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone else would prefer the opposite.

Windows 10 is supposed to bring better multi touch experience on the trackpad, if that experience is as well as OSX in the macbook then I'm going back to Windows for my next laptop.

Cse

Banned
Windows 10 is supposed to bring better multi touch experience on the trackpad, if that experience is as well as OSX in the macbook then I'm going back to Windows for my next laptop.

I'm curious to see whether touch panels remain standard in notebooks once Windows 10 is released.

Once Windows 10 is out, there really won't be any reason for the inclusion of touch screens in notebooks. I would much rather have multi touch functionally on a trackpad than a touch display.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
New Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 announced

http://www.wacom.com/en-jp/announcements/cintiq-companion-2

Higher Resolution and they feature Haswell processors

cintiqcompanion2_overlay_marquee.jpg

Toki767

My MBA isn't bad, but the battery has been pretty shit the past few years. I'll have to configure the Dell (whenever it shows up on their site...) and see how much my ideal config would run. I'm not married to the Mac ecosystem at all and don't mind Windows 8 now that I know how to tweak stuff to my liking. I'd assume I'd be able to turn the touch screen stuff as well.

edit: The current options offered to customize the Dell are rather lacking. You can't get QHD without touch. You can't change the CPU in any of the models. Why can't I get QHD with no touch, an i7 and 128GB SSD :( Might just get the i5 non-touch version. $999 is a good price for the hardware depending on how well it reviews when various sites get one in.

The latest retina MBA rumors suddenly have me looking at the Dell again lol. I actually would like a laptop with a touchscreen. I wish Macbooks had them. The Dells are pretty pricey though.

Jigolo

haha I was just thinking this. I may switch back to Windows after 10 if it impresses me. 8 turned me off completely and was the deciding factor for me to go OS X.

OEMs are constantly churning out higher better spec'd machines by a long shot now at a much cheaper price.

That DELL XPS 13 is fucking awesome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
the 15''+ laptop is dying isnt it :(

Good riddance. I can't believe there were 17" laptops. I am glad companies are seeing the light and making laptops as laptops. Portable. That said, though, I can see the need. It's just such a niche.

diehard

Fleer
Good riddance. I can't believe there were 17" laptops. I am glad companies are seeing the light and making laptops as laptops. Portable. That said, though, I can see the need. It's just such a niche.

I agree with 17'' and even 18.4'' ones but 15'' is just awesome to me.

I have had a beast of a time finding a thin-ish 15'' laptop with an IPS screen that isnt crazy expensive.

Opiate

Is there a good thread to ask questions about a TV purchase? I'm not finding an obvious one, but I may be using the wrong search terms.

Nero3000

But imagine a 15" infinty display in a 13" chassis....4K too....

A few years hopefully.

Anyway back to the XPS13, WPCentral says the display was worked on in collaboration with Sharp and is exclusive to Dell through to august.
http://www.windowscentral.com/dell-xps-15-laptop-4k-display

And 15" 4K laptop form Dell - still uses haswell. http://www.windowscentral.com/dell-xps-15-laptop-4k-display

So far the object that has caught my attention the most is Panasonic's new Lumix. Very attractive phone to me for some reason. Also interested in looking up more info about that light bulb that had a bluetooth speaker built into it

thats going to be expensive as fucking a star.

Entry (Value in the UK)
$1,300; AU$1,609; £1,200
64GB SSD
Available in February.

Value (Standard in the UK)
$1,600; AU$1,981; £1,300
128GB SSD
Available in February

Standard (Premium in the UK)
$2,000; AU$2,475; £1,600
256GB SSD
Available in February

Premium (Enhanced in the UK)
$2,500; AU$3,095; £2,000
512GB SSD
Available in spring 2015

Enterprise
$2,700; TBD elsewhere
customizable
Available in spring 2015

http://www.cnet.com/news/wacom-to-get-creative-with-cintiq-companion-options-at-ces-2015/

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
thats going to be expensive as fucking a star.

Its actually cheaper than the original companion

Value (64GB SSD, Intel Core i3-4005U processor, 1.7 GHz ): $1299.99 USD

-Standard (128GB SSD, Intel Core i5-4258U processor, 2.9 GHz): $1599.99 USD

-Premium (256GB SSD, Intel Core i7-4558U processor, 3.2 GHz): $1999.99 USD

Edit: beaten

What will be expensive as a car is thew and imho ridiculous 27inch cintiq. The 24hd is already too fucking big.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing all these tvs has made me realize the only thing I care about is how thin the bezel is. I want to take the plastic case off my pc monitor and just rock the raw panel.

golem

Is there a good thread to ask questions about a TV purchase? I'm not finding an obvious one, but I may be using the wrong search terms.
There's a thread on the gaming side and occasionally people will ask in the OT

Might as well pose your questions here

Opiate

So, looking at some Samsung TVs, I notice disparities like this:

http://www.niceelectronics.com/prod...tvbNSmFzZGxZ98SzGvG4NpDq9ZIhPXAXsoaAovu8P8HAQ

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?...8UAXsfgqdsaN1Z_fKiLjG8EFX4D9Mb7f90aAg6C8P8HAQ

Where the sites list the product as being the "AU" or "Australian" version of the television. Are they worse in any material way, or are they just cheaper because of their intended place of origin? Because I'm seeing these Australian versions for several hundred dollars cheaper.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
That XPS looks damn fine, although I'm more impressed by the 15 hour battery claim.

Stereo vision is only a small part of what makes VR awesome. You'll still get a lot out of it.
Depends because it's annoying for me to use (like going to a 3D cinema), and the perception is a big part of VR. If you meant Augmented Reality then I'd agree.

lolno, I need 17'' and so does a lot of people. It's plenty portable too, so I'm guessing that portable remark was aimed at the few bulky gaming behemoths.

Quasar

http://www.niceelectronics.com/prod...tvbNSmFzZGxZ98SzGvG4NpDq9ZIhPXAXsoaAovu8P8HAQ

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?...8UAXsfgqdsaN1Z_fKiLjG8EFX4D9Mb7f90aAg6C8P8HAQ

Where the sites list the product as being the "AU" or "Australian" version of the television. Are they worse in any material way, or are they just cheaper because of their intended place of origin?

Tuner would be different, and I guess it includes support for modes like 1080p50 and 576p50 and 576i inputs. And 240v power. Odd they are cheaper...I'd expect the opposite due to economies of scale.

Chris R

The latest retina MBA rumors suddenly have me looking at the Dell again lol. I actually would like a laptop with a touchscreen. I wish Macbooks had them. The Dells are pretty pricey though.

I'm thinking the $999 Dell would work for me. Sell my current MBA for ~400ish and the Dell only ends up costing $500.

Raistlin

It's such a subjective question depending on needs and budget that a single thread is essentially impossible. A/V sties have entire forums dedicated to it.

Your best bet is to make a thread where you discuss your specific wants and needs. Then you can get some applicable suggestions.

tim.mbp

That XPS 13 looks really nice. Might take a look at the entry $799 model for my next notebook. Was previously going to look at that Asus Chi Transformer.

senahorse

Has there been any tablets announced with a 12"+ screen that takes pen input?

edit: I saw that Wacom but it's way too heavy for my needs. I was hoping for something closer to the likes of a Galaxy note 12.2 (was really hoping for a new version of this to be announced).

Nero3000

Where the sites list the product as being the "AU" or "Australian" version of the television. Are they worse in any material way, or are they just cheaper because of their intended place of origin? Because I'm seeing these Australian versions for several hundred dollars cheaper.

I dont see any discrepency in price - both around $1600.

The differences will be in the power plug and OTA tuner.

Nero3000

Has there been any tablets announced with a 12"+ screen that takes pen input?

edit: I saw that Wacom but it's way too heavy for my needs. I was hoping for something closer to the likes of a Galaxy note 12.2 (was really hoping for a new version of this to be announced).

Not new but Surface Pro 3?

EDIT: Toshiba ultrabook detacheable:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7492989/toshiba-encore-2-write-announcement-price-ces-2015 said:
Toshiba is also announcing a new ultrabook, the business-focused Portege Z20t. It has a 12.5-inch 1080p display, an Intel Core M processor, a Wacom digitizer pen, and a detachable keyboard. It'll be available direct through Toshiba and through certain other retailers this month from $1,399.

Mil3TWd.jpg

People who do actual real work on laptops instead of using them as toys like more screen real estate.

Also, the small niche for gaming laptops is dominated by 17" lapzillas.

giga

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8814/intel-releases-broadwell-u-new-skus-up-to-48-eus-and-iris-6100

Broadwell-U with HD 5500 (24 EU) has 240M more transistors than Haswell-U with HD 4400 (20 EU)
Broadwell-U with HD 6000 (48 EU) has 600M more transistors than Haswell-U with HD 5000 (40 EU)

The HD 5500 in the XPS 13 is slower than Haswell's HD 5000. I can't even anymore. Not interested at all in these high resolution laptops with chips slower than 2013's Macbook Air.

HD 6000 at a minimum for me.

Toki767

XPS 13 is $1300 for the i5 with QHD+ touchscreen model. Only 128GB SSD though. $1600 for the i7 model with a 256GB SSD. Everything else seems identical down to the integrated graphics. I don't think an i7 is really necessary is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom