• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2017 CES Press Conference - 1/4/2017 5PM PST

/XX/

sony doesn't have the technology to make oled panels?
They don't own fabs to make the panels.
They hire engineers to research panel tech with other manufacturers.
Aside from typical consumer-oriented products, Sony Semiconductor's Kumamoto TEC via the Higashiura Satellite site still maintains fab lines for OLED front-end components and display panels (even after the partial technology transfer into Japan Display Inc., and eventually into JOLED; likewise to Sony Mobile Display Corporation's realignment and consolidation into it), to later be assembled on monitors for professional broadcast and post-production applications at Sony EMCS Corporation Tokai TEC Kosai Site for determined products lines as, for example, the BVM series. They keep expanding and leveraging their proprietary Super Top Emission panel structure (http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_ja/el_display/index.html) and further feature refinements that continue to still be in great demand where reference displays for visualisation are needed.

lynux3

Really looking forward to what Sony does with those OLED panels and of course how much they're going to be. If it's affordable I foresee a Sony branded OLED in my bedroom.

yurinka

I'll be there.

I think it's unlikely, but would be nice to see updated PS4/PS4 Pro/PSVR sales numbers, gaming focused TVs as mentioned above, and the European release date of PS Now.

0%

HDMI 2.1 will be finalized ~half a year from now, and then there are gonna pass months before anyone integrate it into their products.

Read the article:

The new specification will be released in Q2 2017.

HDMI 2.1 and HDR with dynamic metadata have been showcased since last year and a 2017 release schedule was already programmed.

8K, 10K and the more advanced other features will come later.

yurinka

isn't playstation a moneymaker for sony? why would they skip ces?
PSX was too recent, it was a dedicated event and they have a lot of other devices to talk about in CES, like TVs, Cameras, Projectors, etc.

But they may mention something related, like some new services coming to PS, to update about PS4 units sold, some PS service coming to TVs, gaming focused TVs or headphones, etc.

Bishop_83

Neo Member
This is where Sony can announce a stand alone UHD Blu-ray player, possibly an OLED 4K TV, and high end cameras and camcorders. Maybe one that can record 4K at 60fps.

CES is all technology. No gaming stuff needs to be announced here because this crowd doesn't really care for it. Just as likely to see a trailer for a brand new movie in this event.

starts in less than 15 min.
I'm ready Kaz
be9.gif

4K Sony Bloodborne TV, with upgrades to 60 FPS due to their new Insight Technology and CA-HDR(Chromatic Aberration High Dynamic Range). Free speaker modeled into the iconic Bloodborne Lantern!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
8 minutes now.

Intel just had an amazing showing.. They make VR sound desirable.
Word? But VR is already pretty desirable to me lol. Might have to watch an archive of Intel's now.

Edit: This dude on Sonly live stream mentioned depth & breath. Specifically that they have a big gaming business and some other business...
They'll show something gaming related possibly?

anddo0

Word? But VR is already pretty desirable to me lol. Might have to watch an archive of Intel's now.

Alloy, Wireless VR, completely seamless... Live sports etc... The conference was kinda rough to watch, but they have me excited for VR again.

BTW- Cnet is streaming all the big pressers. Sony is next on the Cnet YT channel.

yurinka

Ustream streaming quality is garbage compared to youtube. Let's hope they improve their tech or stop making streamings.

Schrade

Ustream streaming quality is garbage compared to youtube. Let's hope they improve their tech or stop making streamings.

It's actually really good this time. Am watching the mobile_1080p version using Streamlink (viewing in MPC-HC) and it looks great.

Top Bottom