• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
QDs were nice in Sony W900, but in no way do they approach OLED, not a full array backlight plus QD would Id wager.

OLED has made LG the only viable player in the game right now IMO. No other company is worth supporting more as they will be the ones to make OLED succeed as every other company has abandoned ship.

4K on new OLED will mitigate SDE and new quad processors will make the Web-OS platform actually viable. If LG does not cheap out on the video processor, the perfect TV will be out this year.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Because OLED isn't worth investing in... yet. LCD has come a long way. Speaking of LG's OLED, I saw one at Best Buy and I was not impressed. The image was jagged as hell. Not sure if the thing was calibrated correctly or not, but it looked like a joke compared to Sony/Samsung's better LCD screens. The only thing that stood out was the blacks.
I have no idea what you've seen, but the 9300 LG OLED completely shames any other TV I've seen. Yeah, it's not 4K, but honestly who cares when anything I'd watch on it would be 1080p anyway, and the picture quality is much better than similarly priced 4K TVs. Besides, I think the next wave of their OLEDs will all be 4K at current prices anyway, preserving all the other qualities they already have (LG already has 4K OLEDs on sale, but they're stupidly expensive 65" sets)

I don't know wtf they do to the 9300's at Best Buy, but you're right ... they literally look terrible.
Not in my best buy. Seeing it demoed I was *this* close to spending $3000 on a freaking TV set. Probably would have got it if I didn't know they're expanding the production which would mean they must get cheaper soon.

lynux3

I have no idea what you've seen, but the 9300 LG OLED completely shames any other TV I've seen. Yeah, it's not 4K, but honestly who cares when anything I'd watch on it would be 1080p anyway, and the picture quality is much better than similarly priced 4K TVs. Besides, I think the next wave of their OLEDs will all be 4K at current prices anyway, preserving all the other qualities they already have (LG already has 4K OLEDs on sale, but they're stupidly expensive 65" sets)

It's been revealed that LG's OLED demo stations at Best Buy are using USB thumb drives for their video demos. Apparently it's highly compressed resulting in the sub-par image quality.

Fushin

I see. I assumed it was from one of their home theater systems since there was an LG sub sitting below the TV at the demo station. Odd choice.

That sub should be part of the sound bar that was being offered for free with the 55" OLED. Not sure if your local store is set up like mine. But I do have to redo the USB drive every few weeks because it gets corrupted. The OLED demos look great on the 4K LG next to it. The 4K demos obviously wouldn't play on the OLED though.

Raistlin

It's been revealed that LG's OLED demo stations at Best Buy are using USB thumb drives for their video demos. Apparently it's highly compressed resulting in the sub-par image quality.
Yes, that content was terrible.

That said, me, CrankyJay, and our boss had them demo a BD (Avengers). It still was horrific looking. So at least in some stores, they are calibrated horrendously. There were also some serious bugs evident in the firmware.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yes, that content was terrible.

That said, me, Cranky Jay, and our boss had them demo BD (Avengers). It still was horrific looking. So at least in some stores, they are calibrated horrendously.
Ive seen Blu0ray content on it, properly calibrated, and it looks beyond stunning. The depth, color, contrast, etc, is unrivaled by anything Ive ever seen.

Utterly shames the Sony X950B, making it looks like a dog turd.

If they can fix the motion hiccups...fuck

Raistlin

QDs were nice in Sony W900, but in no way do they approach OLED, not a full array backlight plus QD would Id wager.

OLED has made LG the only viable player in the game right now IMO. No other company is worth supporting more as they will be the ones to make OLED succeed as every other company has abandoned ship.

4K on new OLED will mitigate SDE and new quad processors will make the Web-OS platform actually viable. If LG does not cheap out on the video processor, the perfect TV will be out this year.
The problem with comparing Sony's W900A versus new QD is: 1) There was no content that took advantage of the expanded gamut and bit-depth 2) Now that there is content, the new displays have evolved to actually take advantage of UHD.

J-Rzez

I have no idea what you've seen, but the 9300 LG OLED completely shames any other TV I've seen.

This is absolutely true. It is unmatched in color and contrast. Only thing the 9300 I can see people say "doesn't look as good" is due to them being 4' away from it on display in which the 4ks will instantly look sharper.

The 9300 is the real deal. I hope the cost comes down and the new processor helps out with that shit webOS they use. Maybe the 2.0 version is better as well.

Maybe I'll be retiring my ST this year.

Rengoku

I think I just found my next laptop. The Lenovo LaVie Z. The world's lightest laptop.
Comes with the latest Broadwell Core i5 & i7 chips, not the Core M Fanless chips.

vQOtICJ.png

Some weight comparisons, its pretty insane how light they are:

Lenovo LaVie Z Laptop (13 inch) - 1.72 lbs
Lenovo LaVie Z Convertible (13 inch) (with Touchscreen) - 2.04 lbs
Surface Pro 3 (without cover) - 1.76 lbs
Surface Pro 3 (with Type cover) - 2.45 lbs
Macbook Air (11 inch) - 2.38 lbs
Macbook Air (13 inch) - 2.96 lbs
iPad 4th Gen - 1.44 lbs

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7490411/lenovo-lavie-z-notebook-announced-at-ces-2015

Raistlin

Ive seen Blu0ray content on it, properly calibrated, and it looks beyond stunning. The depth, color, contrast, etc, is unrivaled by anything Ive ever seen.

Utterly shames the Sony X950B, making it looks like a dog turd.

If they can fix the motion hiccups...fuck
Oh I believe it. That's why I always say to go by professional calibrator reviews and reviews by people who at least have had it professionally calibrated. Look at they objective measurements.

I personally just purchased a Samsung 60F8500 because with the above criteria, it rivals the 9300 in overall image quality, but was significantly cheaper Plus, it doesn't have some of the bugs the 9300 exhibits (the motion problems being REALLY significant).

UHD is still early. No technology has been demonstrated to fully take advantage of it, and in some notable respects ... OLED looks to be behind QD. That tells me all of it needs some time in the oven.

lynux3

Maybe a local shop in my area will have a better setup of LG's OLED I can check out, but for the near future, I will wait until OLED matures more. I'm tempted to pick up that super thin Sony set. It would look real nice and flat on my wall and Android TV is a huge treat.

Dead

well not really...yet
I've never calibrated a TV. I wouldn't know where to start. Is each specific TV unique, or can you copy settings on a per-model basis?
every TV is different, as is every room. To get the best picture possible, you can't just copy paste settings from TV to TV

Raistlin

I've never calibrated a TV. I wouldn't know where to start. Is each specific TV unique, or can you copy settings on a per-model basis?
There can be some variance, but with current flat panel technology it's a pretty small amount. So generally, you can go by model as a starting point ... but ...

... your room actually impacts your settings, potentially by a fair amount. And it's particularly annoying because unlike with audio, lighting conditions vary a lot in a given room based on time-of-day and activity. Granted room acoustics have a larger variance, but with video it's generally more of a moving target.

That's why most people do a day and night calibration (plus separate cals for 3D if they use it).

J-Rzez

Find some general specs online and tune the picture from there to your tastes. Everyone has their own taste with color/white temps for example.

Or you can buy one of those personal calibration kits (camera/software) from NewEgg or other retailers.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sony's TV lineup is pretty unimpressive IMO. Dumbass decisions like relegating full array to 75" classes and only with speakers. As far as LCD goes, Samsung seems far more impressive.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woah! Toshiba just announced Wacom enabled Encores for less than 400 bucks. 2048 pressure sensitivity. Of course they have atoms instead of higher end intels, but still not bad for a 10 inch model.

golem

Sony's TV lineup is pretty unimpressive IMO. Dumbass decisions like relegating full array to 75" classes and only with speakers. As far as LCD goes, Samsung seems far more impressive.

Yup, just the fact they made a huge deal about how thin their newer sets were shows they are once again committed to pushing mediocrity. And still only 4:2:0 on their HDMI ports? For shame.

Raistlin

ThoseDeafMutes,

Just to note, using a 'calibration' disc or video processor with test patterns really shouldn't be called calibration. That's kind of a misnomer. You are only hitting the user settings and changing things by eye. It should really be called setting up your TV.

A calibration (like if you hire an ISF calibrator) involves using actual test equipment as well as going into the service menu which in most TV's allows far more manual adjustments (with the disadvantage of you being able to literally break your TV if you don't know what you're doing).

Find some general specs online and tune the picture from there to your tastes. Everyone has their own taste with color/white temps for example.

Or you can buy one of those personal calibration kits (camera/software) from NewEgg or other retailers.
At a minimum, I'd add a step in between finding specs online as a starting point, and tuning the picture to your taste.

One should get a Blue Ray settings disk with test patterns to accurately set your brightness, contrast, etc. There are many out there, but if you want to only get one ... Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics is a nice disc because it comes with a physical card containing R, G, and B cellophane speced for Rec 709. That way you can at least take a decent stab at setting the color without a colorimeter.

Raistlin

Yeah seems so. However I'll wait for actual objective testing with cal equipment. No way to know how they perform, particularly when we don't even have specs.

Yup, just the fact they made a huge deal about how thin their newer sets were shows they are once again committed to pushing mediocrity. And still only 4:2:0 on their HDMI ports? For shame.
Hmmm ... where is this chroma sub-sampling info coming from? Anyone got a link?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Looks like that new sony action cam has better value than the new gopro.

It's definitely on my radar.

Any d that zenfone for 200 no contract? Verizon wont allow it I bet. :(

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah that MILK VR is turning into some bullshit. Half the videos they introduced were not even spherical. I know they are trying to get content on there but common.
I can't see 3D so I don't care much about VR content and the like, but it did seem kinda lazy :/

Thanks! (GAF was down. What happened? Maintenance?)
No idea, maybe the PS4 sold number broke GAF momentarily.

Hmmm ... where is this chroma sub-sampling info coming from? Anyone got a link?
Posted on the previous page:
2015 Sony TV releases

http://store.sony.com/ces-2015-television/cat-27-catid-sony-ces-2015-tv

Skimmed through a few models and it looks like all but the 75" 940 be edge lit. Every one I looked at still only supports 4K60 at 8 bit 4:2:0.
Just select a model -> Specifications
For the XBR-75X910C
Video Signal : 3840x2160/24p (HDMI only); 3840x2160/30p (HDMI only); 4096x2160/24p (display center 3840 area); 4096x2160/30p (display center 3840 area); YUV420 3840x2160/60p (HDMI only); YUV420 4096x2160/60p (display center 3840 area); 1080/24p(HDMI only); 1080/60i (HDMI, Component); 1080/60p (HDMI, Component); 480/60i; 480/60p; 720/60p; 1080/30p (HDMI only); 720/30p (HDMI only); 720/24p (HDMI only)

Raistlin

Posted on the previous page:

Just select a model -> Specifications
For the XBR-75X910C
Yuck.

That said, what's the timeline for 4K60 content production? Or I should ask, what is supported at 30fps and less? Is it 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 then?

Until we have a better handle on what level of UHD will actually have widespread support, it's unclear whether this is a significant factor. We haven't seen any indication of high framerate content from movie or TV studios.

golem

That said, what's the timeline for 4K60 content production?
Well, right now if you count connecting a computer for use with the television. Possibly sooner than later if television stations, especially sports stations, such as ESPN go for 4K.

Or I should ask, what is supported at 30fps and less? Is it 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 then?

It should be somewhere along these lines:

97b5932c_HDMI2-Bandwidth.jpeg

Chris R

I think I just found my next laptop. The Lenovo LaVie Z. The world's lightest laptop.
Comes with the latest Broadwell Core i5 & i7 chips, not the Core M Fanless chips.

vQOtICJ.png

iPad 4th Gen - 1.44 lbs

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7490411/lenovo-lavie-z-notebook-announced-at-ces-2015

I'll probably replace my MBA with the regular Z too. Haven't been impressed with Apple's offering the past years.

edit: I'll be pissed if only the convertible is upgradable to an i7 or 8gb of ram... I don't want or need a windows tablet/convertible.

Linius

You guys were fooling yourselves if you thought the Z4 was coming out during CES - matter of fact, CES hasn't been popular for the past couple of years.

MWC next month is when all relevant mobile devices show up.

Sadly yes. Kind of lame that so many tech blogs mentioned Xperia devices in their 'what to expect at CES' articles. You'd hope they didn't just pull stuff out of their arse.

Well the MWC is early march. What are the chances of a Z4 device releasing before may? Probably not too far away from zero :/

Linius

A tablet in a stove now? Safe yourself ten minutes of preheating the oven by doing it from your smartphone at the supermarket. Man they come up with all sorts of crazy stuff :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Where are the 8k TVs and 21:9 monitors

Dynamic3

I still can't wrap my head around whether or not I'm actually getting 4:4:4 from my 970 connected to my W800 via HDMI.

Toki767

Tough choice between the Dell and the Lenovo. $1800 for the i7 version of the Dell which has the QHD+ screen though.

Chris R

Tough choice between the Dell and the Lenovo. $1800 for the i7 version of the Dell which has the QHD+ screen though.

I was torn at first, but Lenovo being stupid about which model gets which updates pushed me towards the Dell.

It does kinda depend on how expensive the Dell is though, and when my Macbook finally dies.

jmdajr

Cheapest way is buy some a disc with a THX optimizer and these glasses.

product13677.jpg

It's easy, any idiot can do it. Just follow the steps and match the colors.

vQOtICJ.png

iPad 4th Gen - 1.44 lbs

Holy shit

Toki767

I was torn at first, but Lenovo being stupid about which model gets which updates pushed me towards the Dell.

It does kinda depend on how expensive the Dell is though, and when my Macbook finally dies.

I'm waiting for Apple to show off their 12" Retina Macbook Air before I make a laptop purchase decision. The Dell is very tempting at first glance though, even at the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom