• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

I wouldn't bother with it. It would be nice if Dell was using the beefier CPUs available in the 15W TDP range though :(

Raistlin

Well, right now if you count connecting a computer for use with the television. Possibly sooner than later if television stations, especially sports stations, such as ESPN go for 4K.

It should be somewhere along these lines:

97b5932c_HDMI2-Bandwidth.jpeg

You know it's funny, as much tinkering as I do ... I've never really compared content with differing chroma subsampling to see what happens. And that's definitely true when talking at different bit rates. I don't really PC game, and my TV already supports 4:4:4 / 10-bit @ 1080p for consoles ... so there was never anything to really test. It was just there.

I'll have to look at finding some native content using 8 and 10 bit color depths, as well as varying subsampling ratios to see what's up. I'm curious how notable the differences are. Granted I'm not sure my SXRD really can take full advantage of the bitdepth. I don't think the light engine can support a high enough dynamic range ... but the chroma sub-sampling should at least be testable even if I won't be able to see how bitdepth impacts it.

Quasar

You know it's funny, as much tinkering as I do ... I've never really compared content with differing chroma subsampling to see what happens. And that's definitely true when talking at different bit rates. I don't really PC game, and my TV already supports 4:4:4 / 10-bit @ 1080p for consoles ... so there was never anything to really test. It was just there.

I'll have to look at finding some native content using 8 and 10 bit color depths, as well as varying subsampling ratios to see what's up. I'm curious how notable the differences are. Granted I'm not sure my SXRD really can take full advantage of the bitdepth. I don't think the light engine can support a high enough dynamic range ... but the chroma sub-sampling should at least be testable even if I won't be able to see how bitdepth impacts it.

Curious there's no 2160p60 4:4:4 10 or 12 bit in the list.

Raistlin

Oh. I figured that just meant those weren't supported for some reason.
To be honest, I'm not quite sure where those numbers come from ... and exactly what they represent.

They are definitely not an exhaustive list of supported formats in UHD or anything though.

yo that dell is sexy af but ive been burned on dells way too many times to want to buy one ever again.

This is what has me worried as well. I have a 09 Macbook that needs upgrading and I'm looking for a new Windows laptop for school but I have heard of Dell horror stories.

btrboyev

This is what has me worried as well. I have a 09 Macbook that needs upgrading and I'm looking for a new Windows laptop for school but I have heard of Dell horror stories.

XPS and their Latitude models are super solid. Their business class machines and their support are second to none.

So what does everyone think about those Sony TV's?

I think the 50inch is so bought. I will pay whatever I have to just for that TV with Android programmed. God it is so beautiful

Quasar

So what does everyone think about those Sony TV's?

I think the 50inch is so bought. I will pay whatever I have to just for that TV with Android programmed. God it is so beautiful

Well some people here seem upset about the 4k ones only supporting 4:2:0 colour.

I think a 4k set with AndroidTV and Playstation Now seems pretty sweet. Though I'm not in the market for a new TV (especially that big).

Sharp might be another option (though it lacks Playstation Now).

beast786

Just bought a house . Guy from best buy is coming over to plan a theater room.

Any suggestions?

It needs to be future proofed.

Raistlin

Just bought a house . Guy from best buy is coming over to plan a theater room.

Any suggestions?

It needs to be future proofed.

I suggest not going through Best Buy

Regardless, I recommend making a thread. When you say plan a theater room ... can you give details? Are the walls down to studs? What size? What are you looking to accomplish?

beast786

I suggest not going through Best Buy

Regardless, I recommend making a thread. When you say plan a theater room ... can you give details? Are the walls down to studs? What size? What are you looking to accomplish?

Thanks for the reply raist,

The room was already built as theater room. It already has in wall 9 speakers and 4 recliners.

I am looking to future proof and no hold bar. It will be connected to my gaming PC and consoles. It was orginal set up with projector with something 10x 10 feet.

But I am thinking about tv. Originally someone mentioned 32 in wall speaker etc

I would rather not make a thread as it attracts more crap than real help. People who know stuff like you are here anyway

The room was already built as theater room. It already has in wall 9 speakers and 4 recliners.

I am looking to future proof and no hold bar. It will be connected to my gaming PC and consoles. It was orginal set up with projector with something 10x 10 feet.

I would rather not make a thread as it attracts more crap than real help. People who know stuff like you are here anyway

If I were you I would head over to AVS Forum.

golem

I am looking to future proof and no hold bar.

Rough time to try for future proofing, the industry is changing fast right now.

4K/HDMI 2/UHD Blu Ray standards arent really set yet.
Who knows about Rec 2020 or Dolby Vision.
Atmos and DTS:X are soon to duke it out for audio supremacy.

Lucius86

Banned
Has anyone read anything on any new robot devices from iRobot? Wondering if there is a new model imminent or should I take the plunge with the Roomba 880. I've not seen anything on my main technology web sites I frequent.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good riddance. I can't believe there were 17" laptops. I am glad companies are seeing the light and making laptops as laptops. Portable. That said, though, I can see the need. It's just such a niche.

As desktops died away, people use laptops as their only computer. Many never leave the house, they just get moved occasionally from room to room. And many will not be used with an external monitor.

So I can see why 15" is a useful size - personally 13" and below is too small to comfortably use for long periods. I have a 13" but need to use it with an external monitor

Kevin

Yup, not even going to consider upgrading to 4K anything until all of the specs are finalized. I'm pretty excited for it though. :)

Guy.brush

I wish someone would actually bring out a tablet like the Intel Llama Mountain prototype made out of copper.
Copper.jpg

It looks really cool and different and would probably be able to cool 15W CPUs like the new Broadwell 15W. All the new tablets seem to be powered by Broadwell 4,5W which is a bit underpowered I fear.
Or did I miss an announcement with a 15W CPU in it?

Atmos can go die in a fire. I'm not going to go buy brand new speakers to replace my $1300 worth of current speakers that work perfectly fine just to get speakers that support Atmos.

Jigolo

Just read up on some Rec.2020 and it sounds amazing. I can't imagine how that will look combined with OLED.

Hopefully that gets approved sometime this year so we can start getting screens with it certified. Tablets, Laptops, TVs all in Rec.2020 would be great for sure.

dark_chris

Does windows have anything like iPhoto? Something really good like that? If so, I would consider a jump to that Dell XPS laptop. That looks sexy as hell.

Camp Lo

Banned
Probably has already been asked but does anyone know if the Zenfone 2's price is off contract? A lot of websites are saying YES but it's hard to believe for those specs.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like this is what ASUS does to get into the market. This is my next flagship then.

Raistlin

When you have the chance, can you describe the locations of the speakers? (Better yet would be a diagram). Or are you kind of happy with the current audio setup and want to concentrate on the display?

Out if curiosity, is there a specific reason you want to go with a TV versus a projector? Is there an issue with lighting control?

If you want to be able to use the room with the lights on though, a fairly popular direction is to have both a TV and a projector. TV wall-mounted ... with a projector screen that comes down in front of it.

Raistlin

Atmos can go die in a fire. I'm not going to go buy brand new speakers to replace my $1300 worth of current speakers that work perfectly fine just to get speakers that support Atmos.
Who said you have to replace anything? If you want Atmos you can just add more speakers.

I'm so glad Lenovo fixed the abomination that is the last gen X1 Carbon. Everyone who has one at work detests the capacitive touch strip and the trackpad. I'm glad when I joined my firm they hasn't rolled them out yet and I got the older Ivy Bridge model.

Oh a matte option? Nice!

Are you talking about the LaVie? That's not really a Lenovo laptop. It's a repackaged NEC laptop Lenovo sell for NEC because NEC doesn't have global distribution channel.

We don't know what Lenovo's future design direction is until new version of Thinkpad X flagship is announced. I am kind of a thinkpad snob too.

Raistlin

I think the most interesting 'tablet' for me so far as been those Toshiba Encore 2 Writes.

They have a bluetooth keyboard that turns it into a clamshell ... and it looks like a dock with a built-in GPU for higher res/multi monitor usage (though this may be a holdover from their prior encores - not sure it will work).

Seems like a nice form-factor and lineup of peripherals. Can easily turn the 10" into a little laptop.

I think the most interesting 'tablet' for me so far as been those Toshiba Encore 2 Writes.

They have a bluetooth keyboard that turns it into a clamshell ... and it looks like a dock with a built-in GPU for higher res/multi monitor usage (though this may be a holdover from their prior encores - not sure it will work).

Seems like a nice form-factor and lineup of peripherals. Can easily turn the 10" into a little laptop.

Whats the point of GPS in a 10" tablet. It's kind of too large for navigation.

The 8" doesn't have a keyboard.

The Asus 9" T90 Chi OTHO has a very cute keyboard, it reminds me of the EPOC Psion tablets, that's why I really like it
PsionRevo.jpg

==============================

I am going to make a 2015 8"-12" tablet/transformer/subnotebook cross shopping thread again soon, do you guys want me to include any more models? I take request for popular US models.

15604555953_cc515f63c8_o.png

Raistlin

Whats the point of GPS in a 10" tablet. It's kind of too large for navigation.
Well some people may be fine with a 10" in their car?

Regardless, I imagine it comes 'free'. They are likely using the same radio chipset (combined wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc) because it's cheaper that way. It's a common practice. There are actually plenty of devices out there that have hardware features that aren't even available to the end-user because it's cheaper when buying in bulk.

Well some people may be fine with a 10" in their car?

Regardless, I imagine it comes 'free'. They are likely using the same radio chipset (combined wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc) because it's cheaper that way.

GPS on a smaller devise is still much more useful than a large device (becuase you use it on hiking or biking), anyway is there good navigation software on windows 8?

I think the Dell dude himself buying his company back and making it private again might have helped improve the build quality. I dunno. I'll probably end up sticking with macbooks for the foreseeable future since I prefer osx tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom