• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2017 CES Press Conference - 1/4/2017 5PM PST

Spoiler - This CES will be another disappointing year for TVs. Next year will, again, be the big breakout year for great advancements in TV technology at real consumer prices. Always next year.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
never forget bloggie
61pCJ-PYPqL._SL1200_.jpg

jett

D-Member
The only time one of these hasn't been terrible was when Sony forced Tom Hanks to be there and he very loudly voiced his displeasure.

farisr

All I'm interested in is seeing what they're doing with their tvs. Want OLED (with better general brightness) + HDR to become a standard and affordable by the time I'm in the market for a TV again.

Won't be catching it live, that's for sure.

Hope they finally announce their 4K blu-ray player.

Though I may end up waiting for it to go down in price since I have the Samsung one which can continue to tide me over, that will eventually go in another room, if the price is high.

Remember, folks: Don't get even a little bit hyped. It's gonna be nothing.

This, especially PS wise. They never really talk much about game side at this event.

The only time one of these hasn't been terrible was when Sony forced Tom Hanks to be there and he very loudly voiced his displeasure.

LOL

jjonez18

The dawn of 4k TV's without terrible input lag (with all the bells' whistles turned on) is upon us. There won't be much news as far as games, but there will be news concerning the things we game on. Hope the 2017 models don't disappoint.

*Rumour is Sony is following LG into the OLED space.

Elandyll

Banned
If tney don't announce a consumer grade 4K uhdBR player, that'll tell you everything you need to know about their confidence in that market.

Now if they do, I could see a possibility of a small refresh at end of year to add the 4K BR capability with a PS4 Slim "Ultra" and PS4 Pro "Ultra", which would replace your current PS4 skus, as Sony would then have their own mass market cheap UHD players to build with.

So I guess there's that to look for, maybe. #shrug

Hexa

Do people seriously expect gaming related announcements at CES?

I think there's a good chance we'll get sales numbers on PS4 (we almost always do) and maybe something Playstation related that appeals to the non-core, similar to the announcements of Vue and PS Now which were both announced at CES. I'm going to guess maybe on their mobile presence in the West if they plan on having any.

Faustek

I don't really care about the gaming stuff for this... I just want a waterproof tablet again. My Z4 is getting up there and I need my tub companion to be snappy.

When I think about it I'm rather looking forward to see their 4k bd player. Samsungs is really crap for sound quality and the, Panasonic? One I tried had an UI that fitted a player in the early 00.

kyser73

The dawn of 4k TV's without terrible input lag (with all the bells' whistles turned on) is upon us. There won't be much news as far as games, but there will be news concerning the things we game on. Hope the 2017 models don't disappoint.

*Rumour is Sony is following LG into the OLED space.

Sony are sourcing the panels from LG Panels, so yeah.

The really interesting thing is pricing - Forbes and several other sites have all said the rumour is that Sony will be looking at $1999 for the 55" model, which may also indicate that LG will be pricing more aggressively too.

Faustek

They went exclusively with LG now? Heard some murmurs about it last year but never cared since the same report mentioned Samsung.

Me I just want a all in all 65-75" that plays movies and games at their best instead of this in between land we're in now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm looking to get a 75'' TV this year so I'll be watching this.

The really interesting thing is pricing - Forbes and several other sites have all said the rumour is that Sony will be looking at $1999 for the 55" model, which may also indicate that LG will be pricing more aggressively too.

I wouldn't think using LG OLED panels shouldn't really have an impact on input lag though? That's more to do with the processing engine?

Maybe some information about the state of PSNow. I'd like to know how many subscribers it has as well if there is some popularity with it outside the Playstation systems.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Get ready for Sonys next gen UHD TVs with 120 fps
input lag

Eylos

Banned
http://www.oled-info.com/etnews-lgd-agreed-supply-100000-oled-tv-panels-sony-each-year

According to this, due to limited supply LG is only supplying Sony with 100,000 OLED panel for the year. If that is true, I don't see how they launch at $2K for the 55". That is way too small of an amount. Guess we'll see, I'm expecting more like $5K for the 55" and $8K for the 65" though if those shipment numbers are true.

sony doesn't have the technology to make oled panels?

Jonnax

I bought an a6000 a couple of days ago assuming the a6300 won't drop near the a6000 pricing for years.

Hopefully nothing rocks that boat :p

Mokubba

There won't be any video game stuff in their CES conference. Expect TVs, cameras etc.

Looking forward to their new OLED TV unveiling.

Had no idea there were rumours of them making OLED TV's

Interesting.

I bought an a6000 a couple of days ago assuming the a6300 won't drop near the a6000 pricing for years.

Hopefully nothing rocks that boat :p

Haven't they just released the A6500?
Looking at the RX100 line and the price of the A6500, I wouldn't expect the A6000 to drop in price anytime soon.

Top Bottom