• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in EU (only consoles affected)

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm still a little confused about what's censored and what's not. Is there a super handy chart somewhere so my little brain can understand?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd wait for Ubi US to weigh in before buying US copies in a panic; you may just be wasting your time and/or money.

I'm still a little confused about what's censored and what's not. Is there a super handy chart somewhere so my little brain can understand?

The short answer is that nobody knows:

So there's a distinct possibility that South Park is censored worldwide: Ubi has confirmed that the game will be censored in all of Europe -- UK included -- and not just Germany and Austria. This is where it gets interesting as DE, AT, RU and CIS-Land aside Europe shares the ROW sub with America, so it'd be possible for Ubi to censor it without also affecting American users. Basically, there's currently a big question mark over whether or not the game will be uncensored anywhere and Ubi US needs to weigh in to set the record straight.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It's possible the description text will be even funnier than the actual scene considering Matt and Trey are involved with replacing it.

Stranya

I don't understand the point of censoring stuff that has an 18 certificate. Can adults not be trusted to see certain things? Can't stand that paternalistic attitude.

Xater

Still hope the PC version is somehow not affected because that document only mentions the console versions.

I don't understand the point of censoring stuff that has an 18 certificate. Can adults not be trusted to see certain things? Can't stand that paternalistic attitude.

It's a "marketing decision", so I am sure someone at Ubisoft just doesn't want to deal with potential questions that these scenes might result in.

Ashadur

Neo Member
Excellent, there won't be any issues with shipping, etc?
No problem with shipping, you will not get it on day one thats for sure as it takes a while especially if you choose the cheap option, roughly 2 weeks. They have a £5-£10 shipping fee, you might have to pay customs here in the UK to Royal Mail, my guess total should be around £45-£50 with all fees.

EDIT: Actually pre-ordered on Amazon.com, total came to £55.

Famassu

Excellent, there won't be any issues with shipping, etc?
I wouldn't go with Amazon.com for importing (unless you don't buy from Amazon, but someone selling through Amazon.com). Try Gamesuniverse.com or Videogamesplus.com. Amazon rips off with their p&p and taxes shit.

The Cowboy

It's possible the description text will be even funnier than the actual scene considering Matt and Trey are involved with replacing it.

I'm kinda hoping its like the episode in which they censored a scene and used text, if its done like that I think it would suit the game quite well.

Carl

Seeing an abortion may harm your tiny little adult brain

DieH@rd

Banned
I got good laugh just from reading descriptions of those scenes. So I'm satisfied. Bring on the overlayed text. :D

Azzurri

What the hell is the point of playing a South Park game if you can't even listen to all the crude jokes?

tassletine

This is bullshit, especially since it's a South Park game. People buy Southpark stuff to be offended. It's part of the series character.

Wouldn't be a proper RPG without lots of things to patch.

True enough.

When i import DVD's usually they have a £5-£10 shipping fee, also you might have to pay customs here in the UK to Royal Mail, my guess total should be around £45-£50 with all fees.

Excellent. Think I'll take the extra hit this time as I hate buying games that are censored for no good reason.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Scavenger

When i import DVD's usually they have a £5-£10 shipping fee, also you might have to pay customs here in the UK to Royal Mail, my guess total should be around £45-£50 with all fees.
Shipping fees for games are much higher for games because games fall under the Amazon global program and for South Park you need to pay import fees deposit.

It's better to order at Videogamesplus because they always mark down the value.

Can we take a minute to think just how dumb it is to censor an anal probe scene in fucking South Park, whose first episode (1997) is titled "Cartman gets an anal probe"?

1x01-cartman-gets-an-0tox9.jpg

I wouldn't go with Amazon.com for importing (unless you don't buy from Amazon, but someone selling through Amazon.com). Try Gamesuniverse.com or Videogamesplus.com. Amazon rips off with their p&p and taxes shit.

Hmm, thanks for the recommends. I've heard of Videogamesplus.com before, but didn't follow up on how reliable they were. Think I'll check them out and keep Amazon in reserve, just in case it doesn't work out with VG+.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Ok so will the US version work on UK PS3? I need to prove a point here
Yes, but, as it's been said, we're not sure whether the US version, or any version for that matter, is uncensored.

Can we take a minute to think just how dumb it is to censor an anal probe scene in fucking South Park, whose first episode (1997) is titled "Cartman gets an anal probe"?
Seriously, that's actually kind of insulting towards not only SP fans, but the videogame medium as a whole.

derExperte

Oh yeh, that was just in multiplayer though and I didn't play much online. Shame that the UK is being lumped in with the EU censors for Germany.

Germany gets a special version of South Park because of Nazi symbols anyway, so this has nothing to do with us.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd wait for Ubi US to weigh in before buying US copies in a panic; you may just be wasting your time and/or money.

The short answer is that nobody knows:
Oh ok. I'll wait.

I wonder how hard Matt and Trey fought this. You know they'd be damn unhappy.

soqquatto

are they lowering the rating to 16?

I'm really disappointed by this at any rate. let's hope the rest of the game makes it up for this.

pulsemyne

So they censor the game in a market that really doesn't give a shit about Abortion etc. We aren't america. I would expect something like that to get censored there as it is a touchy subject over there. Over in the UK and a lot of Europe it isn't. Silly ubisoft.

nkarafo

They will probably sell the game again as a "director's cut/uncensored" version. People will double dip = more money.

Top Bottom