• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in EU (only consoles affected)

I really feel bad for Obsidian now. Always getting screwed. If it wasn't just THQ going under then it also has to be the fact that Ubisoft feels the need to censor the game throughout Europe.

Just because the SKU in my country is uncensored(or supposedly) is stupid. What's the point of having a totally different experience than a vast majority of other countries? Australia, and JUST Australia, is understandable but everywhere else is just fucking crazy.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Every country is going to have its own, custom-censored version of this game. That's the only way a full-length South Park RPG could work with a worldwide release. Every culture in existence is sure to be offended by something somewhere in the game.

Honestly in the UK we're pretty much OK with anything in our entertainment content. Hell, a shitty teen soap on at 6.30pm every weekday currently has an extremely poorly handled story about man-rape of a teacher by a 15 yr old boy. Though they didn't show the actual bumming, they did go right up to the point where the teenage boy incapacitated the teacher and started unbuckling.

This is an 18 rated game. I want my Randy abortion dammit

They changed the Jew Class in germany. Yep.

Wie geil! Wie geil!

cartman.gif

Well it was obvious that anything hitting to close to Nazis or Jews would get censored over here.

Damaniel

Banned
Voting with my wallet and not buying.

So, you'll punish the developers because the politicians in your country have sticks up their butts (which they obviously don't know about since they're censored or something - can't have anal probes of any kind in Europe, you know....)

Yeah, it sucks if you live somewhere that's not the US, but your comment and purchasing decision is placing the blame on the wrong people. If you actually want to play the game, import it from a country that's not censoring it, at least.

patapuf

I really feel bad for Obsidian now. Always getting screwed. If it wasn't just THQ going under then it also has to be the fact that Ubisoft feels the need to censor the game throughout Europe.

Just because the SKU in my country is uncensored(or supposedly) is stupid. What's the point of having a totally different experience than a vast majority of other countries? Australia, and JUST Australia, is understandable but everywhere else is just fucking crazy.

Censoring sucks but getting a text description instead of a cutscene for anal-probing is hardly a "totally different experience".

Carl

Honestly in the UK we're pretty much OK with anything in our entertainment content. Hell, a shitty teen soap on at 6.30pm every weekday currently has an extremely poorly handled story about man-rape of a teacher by a 15 yr old boy. Though they didn't show the actual bumming, they did go right up to the point where the teenage boy incapacitated the teacher and started unbuckling.

This is an 18 rated game. I want my Randy abortion dammit

Lol, what was this? Hollyoaks or something?

So, you'll punish the developers because the politicians in your country have sticks up their butts (which they obviously don't know about since they're censored or something - can't have anal probes of any kind in Europe, you know....)
This has nothing to do with any politician, it's a deliberate "marketing" decision by Ubisoft and by not buying the game you're effectively punishing them.

Yeah, it sucks if you live somewhere that's not the US, but your comment and purchasing decision is placing the blame on the wrong people. If you actually want to play the game, import it from a country that's not censoring it, at least.

What the hell are you on about? There is no politician in Europe (except for Germany) that has sticks up their butts, this is an Ubisoft decision to censor the game. If he was in Germany, that's different, but other European countries have no problem with anything.

Xater

DerZuhälter;102220052 said:
Wie geil! Wie geil!

Well it was obvious that anything hitting to close to Nazis or Jews would get censored over here.

Read the thread, because it's bullshit.

People need to stop spreading FUD because the situation is already confusing enough.

patapuf

Ones a cutscene and another is text with a picture. Describe to me how they're not two different things?

I was more thinking that in an RPG that's probably 20+ hours long having a few cutscenes altered, while shitty, does not make the game a "totally different experience".

Clockwork5

I don't know why Ubisoft chose to do this but it sounds like they have only censored cut scenes, which will probably be posted in this thread and will be all over the web.

Also, Matt and Trey are writing the text during the scenes... I will be interested to see how those read.

It sucks some of you are getting the cut version. But at least its isolated scenes and not persistent throughout the game.

Herne

What the shit? Not cool, Ubisoft. I may just vote with my wallet on this one (and I love South Park, dammit).

I was more thinking that in an RPG that's probably 20+ hours long having a few cutscenes altered, while shitty, is not "a totally different experience".

Maybe not so but even a minor edit equating to 120 seconds of footage is still enough to change the intended purpose of a scene. Ever heard of the Kuleshov Effect? It deals with peoples interpretation of a scene in cinema. Say you have a guy looking at something, then cut to a baby, and then back to the guy smiling. You think he's overjoyed. A guy looking at something, a person getting attacked, and the same shot of him smiling. There's a different intended purpose for what's being conveyed. It's a film analogy but it can cover video games too because video games have film like elements that if changed could also change the intended meaning of a scene in a game.

I don't know why Ubisoft chose to do this but it sounds like they have only censored cut scenes, which will probably be posted in this thread and will be all over the web.
The leaked document actually mentions two abortion-themed mini games, while the probe scene does appear to be a cut scene.

rjinaz

Ones a cutscene and another is text with a picture. Describe to me how they're not two different things?

Of course it's different. But we're talking about 2 minutes of cut content here. If this was happening in the US I would be annoyed too but I'd still buy the game. It looks like great fun and it seems like Obsidian, Matt, and Trey put a lot of work into it for their fans.

Mail-flood and Social Media-flood Ubisoft, or your congress members. Boycotting the game is hurting the wrong people here.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Also, Matt and Trey are writing the text during the scenes... I will be interested to see how those read.

It sucks some of you are getting the cut version. But at least its isolated scenes and not persistent throughout the game.

It's also minigames from the sound of it. But yeah at least they're isolated scenes and in total only last a little over two minutes. I guess there's always the option to just youtube those scenes like I did with Twisted Metal.

Terra_Ex

Guess I'll be waiting for this to release and the dust settles before I decide which version to get, seeing as the UK versions will be censored. Hopefully there will be an uncensored PC version out there.

Its not censored in the US for those who are thinking it is. Watch the European version of the south park trailer and then watch the US version, one shows the probing scene and the other doesn't. I noticed this a while back but just thought they were censoring the trailer over there, now I see why. Here are the links:

Skip to 4 minutes in if you want to see what I mean.
US Version
EU Version

ValeYard

Why's the EU so probo-phobic? Damn, I guess they just couldn't leave our South Park game alone. I going to console myself by downing a tube of Vagisil.

patapuf

Maybe not so but even a minor edit equating to 120 seconds of footage is still enough to change the intended purpose of a scene. Ever heard of the Kuleshov Effect? It deals with peoples interpretation of a scene in cinema. Say you have a guy with a smile in one shot, then cut to a baby, and then back to the same shot. You think he's overjoyed. Now that same shot, a person getting attacked, and the same shot. There's a different intended purpose for what's being conveyed. It's a film analogy but it can cover video games too because video games have film like elements that if changed could also change the intended meaning of a scene in a game.

I doubt they censored the scene because they wanted to change the message of anal-probing to something else. At worst it will ruin the joke.

I'm not in favour of the censoring mind you. Given what i've seen of the game/series censoring that particular joke seems pointless. Now that the dokument has leaked there'll most likely be a bit of a Streisand effect going on - where everyone talks about the abortion/anal probing jokes, which is probably specifically what the marketing department wanted to avoid by censoring it.

jooso

I have enough games on my plate and I rather not support anything censored. Guess I'll wait for the game to pop up on Playstation Plus, probably early next year.

Well, that kind of crimps my enthusiasm for the game. Stupid Ubisoft.
I'll probably pick it up in a summer sale now, i've a big enough backlog anyway so i can wait a while before playing.

Viewing the EU and Middle East as a singular entity where all of its peoples are offended by a thing is fucking hilarious actually.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Its not censored in the US for those who are thinking it is. Watch the European version of the south park trailer and then watch the US version, one shows the probing scene and the other doesn't. I noticed this a while back but just thought they were censoring the trailer over there, now I see why. Here are the links:

Skip to 4 minutes in if you want to see what I mean.
US Version
EU Version

Those trailers are a month old. Ubi could have changed its mind after releasing them. I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy; I'm just making the point that the game being uncensored anywhere isn't a certainty until Ubi clarifies the situation to that effect.

Launch date embargo and a giant Day 1 patch that fixes critical issues? Sounds like Obsidian lol. Still looking forward to it of course.

I pre-ordered the 360 version on the Ubistore for 30 € months ago but I can't justify that price for censored shit so I cancelled my order and requested a refund.

Wotanik

Banned
Well, first it turns out to be a short 12 hour RPG, then they cut it. No thanks, I'm not getting it. Keep your junk.

Slair

I was gonna get this at some point, but i'm not supporting this shit. It's starting to piss me off, Sony did it with The Last of Us and GoW:A, Europe is treated like one country with one set of rules.

Top Bottom