• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in EU (only consoles affected)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So they censor the game in a market that really doesn't give a shit about Abortion etc. We aren't america. I would expect something like that to get censored there as it is a touchy subject over there. Over in the UK and a lot of Europe it isn't. Silly ubisoft.
To be fair for all we know the US version could be even more censored than the EU version.

Hari Seldon

Lol. All we know for certain is that on steam the US and UK version seem to share the same sku. There's also been screenshots floating around from ubisoft's up lay site selling uncensored copies of the game

The press guide posted on the previous page only said that the console version was censored.

Someone in Ubisoft getting a bit butthurt about anal probe scenes?

At least with pc version it can hopefully be moded to restore orginal content as intended by authors.

So Matt and Trey are writing the text for the censored part?

Dis gonna be GUUUUD!

That's the best part! It's less censorship and more Europe/EMEA exclusive content.
The censor would probably be funnier than the actual scene/joke

EDIT:

If this was Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft would have no issue

LAM09

I have a feeling this could lead to a precedent being set for the future. I can't understand why they have an age rating on the game, if they are removing the content that relates to the age rating. The game should be felt how it is, unless it goes overboard as such games as Manhunt for many.

The press guide posted on the previous page only said that the console version was censored.
O ok thanks, I did this in the other south park thread

Through a bit of detective work and the use of good old Zenmate, I might have cracked the case:

This is the ad for the game as it appears of the US uplay store:

GrGzxGu.jpg

Now the French and Italian stores
SPK-Mockup_Hero-FR.jpg

SPK-Mockup_Hero-IT.jpg

All clearly reporting that the version they're selling is not censored.

Now, the German store:

SPK-Mockup_Hero-DE.jpg

The caption "non-censored version" is evidently missing, thus I assume that the German version is the only censored one. I hope the same is true for Steam as well, I don't see why it shouldn't though.

This is the entry for the game on the Steam database:
http://steamdb.info/app/213670/#section_subs

Apparently, only three versions differing from the main one are listed, for Germany, Russia and Australia. Can anyone who's more familiar with how the database works confirm that?
Wonder if that means they're selling an uncensored version?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
HAHAHAHAA FUCK THIS SHIT.

Preorder cancelled. Not joking. I'm not playing a censored South Park game and I'm not paying £50 plus for a game just so I can import the US version. Fuck you Ubisoft. You lost a sale. You can suck my fat hairy balls.

Nyx

So they censor the game in a market that really doesn't give a shit about Abortion etc. We aren't america. I would expect something like that to get censored there as it is a touchy subject over there. Over in the UK and a lot of Europe it isn't. Silly ubisoft.

Was thinking the exact same thing, my country has legalised abortion ages ago f.e.

It's saddening when someone will censor something to get an extra buck or two from who they're selling their product to. That's just low and scummy especially since this is South Park we're talking about. What marketing exec thought this would be a great way to reap money? Do they really want to hurt their companies reputation that badly?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
O ok thanks, I did this in the other south park thread

Wonder if that means they're selling an uncensored version?

That post is four days old. Given Ubi's comment that the censorship applies to Europe, Africa and the Middle-east, the Italian image, at least, no longer applies.

Shady859

They should just have an option in the game asking if you are a bitch and want graphic stuff edited. To ruin a South Park game for everyone is silly, it is South Park you know what to expect when you lay your $$$ down.

Stupid Ubisoft didn't get the memo...

Everyone in Europe LOVES abortions!

Every female friend of mine and their grandmothers had at least one and loved it!

That post is four days old and evidently doesn't apply any more given Ubi's comment in the OP.
Yep, that post I made is
1. only referring to the pc version of the game
2. only confirming what we now know for sure, i.e. that the German/Austrian version is censored due to Nazi symbolism, both on consoles and on pc

The "uncensored version" on uplay is, arguably, the same as the ROW version that's being sold on Steam in the US and most European countries.
What we do not know, given the leaked review guide, is whether an uncut version actually exists, be it on consoles or on pc.

cluderi

Cancelled my preorder until which version has what cut is clearer, censorship is bad enough but the release mess at the moment is too much.

Might grab it on PC later.

akaoni

Banned
Sounds more like localisation than censorship because these things just don't sit well in the EU. Being people of such high moral standards we believe there need to be limits in fiction. I mean it's about murdering people, and unborn children at that, it's just disturbing that people are getting their jimmies off to this stuff. You should be glad we're getting to play it all.

I'm being facetious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep, that post I made is
2. only confirming what we now know for sure, i.e. that the German/Austrian version is censored due to Nazi symbolism, both on consoles and on pc

The "uncensored version" on uplay is, arguably, the same as the ROW version that's being sold on Steam in the US and most European countries.
What we do not know, given the leaked review guide, is whether an uncut version actually exists, be it on consoles or on pc.

This whole situation is such a mess. Ubi should have known someone would leak the review info sheet and that it would cause mass confusion.

Yep, that post I made is

Thanks for the clarification but yeah, I really hope there is an uncut version out there.

Calmine

Hmm looks like I'll have to get myself a uncut PC version instead. Don't know why they would do this for the UK it's not like we give a shit about that sort of thing, usually it is EU countries that just have this.

I was looking forward to this but I can't support a publisher censoring its own release for marketing reasons. Grow a spine Ubisoft.

NotLiquid

Wow, and they wait this long to tell us.

I'd understand if this was something like the controversy surrounding 200/201 but 140 censored seconds of content that is par for the course in a franchise like South Park is absolute bullshit.

Strongly considering canceling my pre-order now.

They changed the Jew Class in germany. Yep.

It's saddening when someone will censor something to get an extra buck o' five from who they're selling their product to. That's just low and scummy especially since this is South Park we're talking about. What marketing exec thought this would be a great way to reap money? Do they really want to hurt their companies reputation that badly?

GHG

Ok. So how do I go about getting an uncensored PC version? I'm currently living in the Middle East and have a UK steam account.

I'm double screwed aren't I
smiley-laughing002.gif
?

Grizzo

I don't see the point in censoring a South Park game. I mean, it's South Park we're talking about. It's bound to be offensive and borderline distasteful, and that's the show we've grown to know and love.

Ubisoft must have their reasons to do it because pulling shit like that because it's sure to drive potential buyers away.

ScOULaris

Every country is going to have its own, custom-censored version of this game. That's the only way a full-length South Park RPG could work with a worldwide release. Every culture in existence is sure to be offended by something somewhere in the game.

Nillansan

Ok. So how do I go about getting an uncensored PC version? I'm currently living in the Middle East and have a UK steam account.

smiley-laughing002.gif
?

I am in the UK and I will get it from Amazon.com if the US version is indeed uncut.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So Matt and Trey are writing the text for the censored part?

Dis gonna be GUUUUD!

Hmm. On the one hand I don't want to buy this game on principle now. On the other hand that text is sure to be funnier than the actual scenes themselves. Preorder still cancelled though. This is definitely a wait and see matter now.

So not only are they charging £40 for a PC game but it's also a censored version? I love Obsidian but I'm really not sure that I'll be willing to buy this day one, I'll throw more cash at their next kick-starter to compensate.

patapuf

smiley-laughing002.gif
?

The PC Version seems to be the same SKU everywhere (exept Germany). So either they are all censored or none of them is.

hayguyz

Banned
Abortion mini-game? Is this what gaming has come to?

I was interested in this game until now, likely buying it when it hits $20. Now it's a no sale.

Bedlam

What the fuck, Ubisoft? You're not required to censor the game but you did it anyway? Very disappointing. You'd think a publisher behind this would understand the typical SP Humor.

Top Bottom