• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I was about to reinstall this yesterday for a couple clean up trophies but I saw the install size is now over 150 gigs? The fuck? It was already compressed poorly at launch to have such an unessecarily gargantuan file size, but all the patches seem like it added another 30 😂 I swear it was around 120 when it launched

Played through the game on ‘hard’ difficulty on Series X. Have to say that the performance was inconsistent overall.

My thoughts…

Pros
  • Strong visuals featuring beautiful vistas and setting
  • Fun characters
  • Great customisation options
  • Standout story moments i.e. Vadar confrontation etc.
  • Interesting cameos
  • Lots of environmental puzzles
  • Challenging traversal
Cons
  • Many pointless collectables
  • Half-baked systems i.e. gardening
  • Combat system does not favour group combat due to enemy spamming of unblockable attacks
  • Too many stances i.e. some become pointless like double lightsaber
  • Jedi abilities not really exciting
  • No real Dark Side path
  • Dual lightsaber the only real viable weapon on harder difficulties due to animation cancelling
  • Large environment areas requiring lots of backtracking once certain abilities are unlocked
  • Fallen Jedi villain motivations unclear
  • Contrived final twist and finale
  • No combat roll and dash was poor i.e. some enemies are so large that you can’t dash away from unblockable attacks

There were also a few pretty severe difficulty spikes throughout. This was particularly egregious on the final confrontation and late game when pitted against multiple tough opponents relentlessly spamming the same unblockable attacks. It is doable but feels a little cheap. There was so much more to like here than the first game but it was held back by being a little more unrefined. It’s strange to say but I think I enjoyed Fallen Order more overall.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Ha Ha. I got the game for $43. It really dropped in price on the third party market.

I also got the pre-order bonus for $2.

For some weird ass reason, Redfall has not dropped in price.

Last edited:

Ywap

I doubt it, but stuttering in this game is rather CPU related not VRAM related. This game engine is just broken. Maybe they fixed it further since last patch that I played bit I doubt it's flawless.
Yeah, i was hoping for them to fix most of the stuttering before i play it.

I played the first game a couple of months ago and it stuttered quite a bit so appearantly they never did anything about it back then. Hopefully the story doesn't repeat itself.

Topher

Gold Member
Played for a few hours today in performance mode on PS5. Noticing the occasional stutter, but nothing horrible. Visually it is passable. Enjoying the game a lot regardless.

3liteDragon

Opened this thread for the first time since I saw the exclusive 25% sale for Survivor on the PS Store, how does it run on PS5 in both modes? Is it worth getting now or should I just wait until next year to get it (I have the digital edition console)?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm about to give up on this game. It has this semi-open world that lets you travel down numerous paths to explore only to get to the end and find out you have to wait until later to actually do anything there. Now I'm on Jedha and trying to get across the sand and really getting frustrated because the forward path is nearly impossible to see at times. Sucks having to stop game play and go find a video just to figure out which rock I should be trying to jump towards.

The first game was so much better.

Edit: This is just like me right now....timestamped

/end rant

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I think I am on the final mission and I have really enjoyed the game. I liked the story and I liked the characters. I ended up not doing much side stuff and that kept me engaged.

proandrad

Opened this thread for the first time since I saw the exclusive 25% sale for Survivor on the PS Store, how does it run on PS5 in both modes? Is it worth getting now or should I just wait until next year to get it (I have the digital edition console)?
Performance mode still runs like trash, quality mode is fine.

Just started playing this on PC and it’s crazy how good the graphics are in this game.

FPS is very inconsistent, getting 70-100 FPS lol. But the game is great so far.

Got the game yesterday the game is over 140 gigs on series x 140 gigs for what ? .
Flight simulator is 140 gigs with almost the entire world ffs

Topher

Gold Member
Getting close to the end. Trying to get the platinum.

Anyone else hate this map system?

map-upgrade-chests-location-phonqi-caverns-map-1683539384279.png

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Yeah at first glance it seems like itll be much easier to navigate compared to Fallen Order, but then you get some hours into it and you realize its pretty much just as bad as before except that they added fast travel. Even then I remember having to constantly look at the map to make sure I was heading to the right goddamn fast travel point.

Doom 2016 and Eternal are still the only games since Prime that have gotten that sorta map design right. Prime still reigns supreme though. Cant beat the king.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah at first glance it seems like itll be much easier to navigate compared to Fallen Order, but then you get some hours into it and you realize its pretty much just as bad as before except that they added fast travel. Even then I remember having to constantly look at the map to make sure I was heading to the right goddamn fast travel point.

Doom 2016 and Eternal are still the only games since Prime that have gotten that sorta map design right. Prime still reigns supreme though. Cant beat the king.

What makes it worse is when a game guide site actually creates a better map than what is in the game.

Map genie:

preview.jpg

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

In the exact same boat.....at a high level the map looks fine but when youre trying to get to a specific spot its dreadful. I like all the different meditation points but you have to be at one to warp to a different one. Lame as hell.....once in post game after story you should be able to go to any meditation point anytime.

Im trying to get all the stone thingies now to buy all the shit at Domas shop for that trophy and then ill have the platinum. What a pain in the ass....when you finally unlock the method to show all treasures on the map it doesnt even specifically say the treasure is a stone. It could be a stone, scroll, etc.....so annoying. I have 60/100 ( i think its 100) of the stones so far. Thankfully they all are on Koboh though.

Topher

Gold Member
In the exact same boat.....at a high level the map looks fine but when youre trying to get to a specific spot its dreadful. I like all the different meditation points but you have to be at one to warp to a different one. Lame as hell.....once in post game after story you should be able to go to any meditation point anytime.

Im trying to get all the stone thingies now to buy all the shit at Domas shop for that trophy and then ill have the platinum. What a pain in the ass....when you finally unlock the method to show all treasures on the map it doesnt even specifically say the treasure is a stone. It could be a stone, scroll, etc.....so annoying. I have 60/100 ( i think its 100) of the stones so far. Thankfully they all are on Koboh though.

Ah shit......I forgot all about getting all the stones. Yeah.....no way they should have all these collectibles and such a horrible map. Regretting trying to platinum this thing now, but I'm so far in.....I just gotta push through.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ah shit......I forgot all about getting all the stones. Yeah.....no way they should have all these collectibles and such a horrible map. Regretting trying to platinum this thing now, but I'm so far in.....I just gotta push through.

lol same.....i platinumed the first one so i feel like i need to do this one too. Overall i enjoyed it, and im looking forward to whatever they do for the 3rd one.

Rubim

What is the "debug menu"? A mod?
Its the menu devs use to showcase somestuff or, debug some stuff.

You can enable it with a trainer on the PC side. You can unlock everything there, and one of the options makes all collecticles show in the world map.

Topher

Gold Member
Its the menu devs use to showcase somestuff or, debug some stuff.

You can enable it with a trainer on the PC side. You can unlock everything there, and one of the options makes all collecticles show in the world map.

Ah.....I'm playing on PS5.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Really enjoying the story and the combat. I think they made a mistake opening the game up as much as they did though. Like the more linear feel of the first one.

Hey so an update lol....i got all the damn shards and bought all of Domas stuff for that trophy. So all i had left was the co-op one where you have to use your partner in battle 10 times (the dude and the girl). Each 10 times, so 20 total. You only can use the dude in chapter 1 and then the girl in chapter 3.

My first playthrough of course i didnt know this so i only used the girl 10 times and never used the dude in chapter 1 the 10 times. So going into new game + the thought was that the 10 times i used the girl in playthrough 1 would carry over and then all id need to do is use the dude 10 times in chapter 1 and then get the last trophy and the platinum.

Wellllllll......i used him 10 times last night in chapter 1, at least 15 times to be sure, and nothing. So.....the dumb bastards didnt make it so any you do in playthrough 1 carry over, so now i have to play through chapter 3 again and use the girl 10 times and then HOPEFULLY i get the last trophy. So just an FYI, if you did playthrough 1 like i did, youre gonna be in the same boat.

Topher

Gold Member
Hey so an update lol....i got all the damn shards and bought all of Domas stuff for that trophy. So all i had left was the co-op one where you have to use your partner in battle 10 times (the dude and the girl). Each 10 times, so 20 total. You only can use the dude in chapter 1 and then the girl in chapter 3.

My first playthrough of course i didnt know this so i only used the girl 10 times and never used the dude in chapter 1 the 10 times. So going into new game + the thought was that the 10 times i used the girl in playthrough 1 would carry over and then all id need to do is use the dude 10 times in chapter 1 and then get the last trophy and the platinum.

Wellllllll......i used him 10 times last night in chapter 1, at least 15 times to be sure, and nothing. So.....the dumb bastards didnt make it so any you do in playthrough 1 carry over, so now i have to play through chapter 3 again and use the girl 10 times and then HOPEFULLY i get the last trophy. So just an FYI, if you did playthrough 1 like i did, youre gonna be in the same boat.

Ah yeah......the guide I used pointed out doing that the first go around so thankfully I already have that trophy. I'm still trying to get all the shards. Did the stuff on Jedha that reveals their locations on the map. Sucks that they use the exact same icon for shards as they do for data discs and that other collectible. Some of the things you have to do to get the shards is just annoying. Like the whole put the pink bird in the corral thing. Just stupid.

Think the shard stuff is last tough one I have to knock out. Gotta find all the jedi chambers and fragmented echoes still and then just finish the story.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ah yeah......the guide I used pointed out doing that the first go around so thankfully I already have that trophy. I'm still trying to get all the shards. Did the stuff on Jedha that reveals their locations on the map. Sucks that they use the exact same icon for shards as they do for data discs and that other collectible. Some of the things you have to do to get the shards is just annoying. Like the whole put the pink bird in the corral thing. Just stupid.

Think the shard stuff is last tough one I have to knock out. Gotta find all the jedi chambers and fragmented echoes still and then just finish the story.

I got the plat last night. As expected, i had to play through to chapter 3 again when you first meet the girl and had her assist me 10 times in the first battle she's available and i got it.

Topher

Gold Member
I got the plat last night. As expected, i had to play through to chapter 3 again when you first meet the girl and had her assist me 10 times in the first battle she's available and i got it.

I'm pretty pissed right now. I've just retraced my steps to go back to every spot where force essence gives you another perk slot and they are all taken, but I only have 9 slots available. I may just finish this game and be done with it.

This is probably the buggiest game I've played in years. What happened to you, Respawn? Oh....that's right. EA happened to you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I'm an idiot. I could have sworn I got the perk slot from the Derelict Dam, but I was going to the wrong place.

Back on track. Gotta finish the bounties, the force tears and the jedi chambers and then the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom