• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

proandrad

You can write this in all caps as much as you want, doesn't make it any more accurate.

He can't pick and choose the shit he wants to cover.

If he doesn't want to do his job because he's tired of big triple A games are coming out in a shitty state and would rather whine about that on DF Direct, he can move the fuck on and make way for someone who would be glad to.

Hi, we're Digital Foundry and we want to be known as the premier space for technical analysis for console and PC games... but we're not going to bother reviewing one of the biggest game launches of the year so far because we're tired of broken PC ports and it hurts us to do so.

Fuck outta here. If you want to be regarded as the standard bearer, you can't pull this lazy ass pick and choose shit because a bunch of other games have also had issues.
Relax, you aren't his boss he doesn't work for you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I'm really not having fun playing this for some reason. There are just too many small hitches, glitches, animation flubs, texture streaming issues etc. At this point I'm just powering through the story and not bothering with most of the side exploration.

This just isn't getting me the same way the first game did at all. The extremely open hub planet takes away a lot from the tight linear nature of the first game, in this specific example, for me.

The cut-scenes, visual quality etc is fantastic but everything else around it, the *GAME* part, is just not fun.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just tried the PC patch. They finally fixed the damn stuttering in the koboh town and the saloon. There are still some stutters but they are mostly traversal stutters you get when you cross that invisible line that holds levels together. the actual stuttering when just walking around the town is pretty much all gone. My 1% and 0.1% drops that used to be in the mid teens and constantly dropping are now in the high 20s and very rare. most if not all of them traversal stutters.

i tried with both RT on and off and its fine. I was getting around 35 fps with rt off at native 4k epic settings. 40 fps at high settings, and 29 fps with rt on. i think im just going to go ahead and keep FSR quality on with RT and everything else maxed out. i tested some of the forest areas and they run flawlessly. no stutters other than the traversal stutters of course.

i can finally play this game again.

Denton

You can write this in all caps as much as you want, doesn't make it any more accurate.
lmao I was parodying your idiocy
He can't pick and choose the shit he wants to cover.
Apparently he can, since he does, and isn't fired. I assume you didn't read his contract with DF/Eurogamer, did you?

As I said, if you are so offended by Alex not bothering with game that does not deserve to be bothered about, feel free to make your own analysis. I am sure the internet is waiting with bated breath.

adamsapple

Post some feedback ASAP after you try it out please

I've only been playing the game in Quality mode so I don't have a direct reference of how Performance was outside of DF, but Quality seems .. I guess still a good 30 FPS mostly lol.

edit: the fuck, I lost around 30 minutes of progress because of the patch ....

Last edited:

Roufianos

Just got to the first open world section and this game is running like absolute ass, even with the latest patch.

Honestly no excuse for it. Game doesn't even look better than some PS4 games in performance mode.

Maybe I should just buy Zelda and wait for them to fix this trash.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The force is strong but the will is weak.

l1UV7wp.jpg

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Still haven't beat the game, but I think I'm close to it.

HOLY SHIT, BODE!

Not only did he plot-twisted the heck out of me, but then the mf proceeds to double plot-twist me when he reveals himself to be a jedi.

shocked holy shit GIF

And that character switch into Cere

The Wire Reaction GIF

If somehow Respawn throws Vader in against Cere in Jedah, damn, the game legit goes into banger mode.

Can't wait to finish it tonight.

EDIT: Holy shit, they fucking did it. This is peak Star Wars storytelling.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Sweet mother of awesomeness... I was not ready for this. It almost seems like they spend half the game trying to get you asleep and then throw all the ammunition at you in such a fucking cool way.

Game went from a 7 to an insta 10 for me. Any Star Wars fan will love the shit out of this game, even more if they play it more down the road when everything performance related is correctly fixed.

Darchaos

Took me 50h but now im done, i loved it and i need Nr 3 asap. I had some crashes, learned that you just had to turn RT on or off and that solved it, with the latest patch it also got way smoother. Give me fuel give me fire give me more Jedi....something something

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished the game. It ends on a high note and I can't wait for the next game, because the setup they left open for the next title is freaking awesome.

They improved Cal in this game so much, he's a way better character than in the previous game. A true jedi Knight. Hell, all the main cast and side cast is phenomenal.

Sad they decided to kill Bode, but it made perfect sense and gave the ending a very solid note. You can see the struggle Cal goes through with the betrayal, enough to make him scratch the dark side. I really liked the way they built the relationship between them. It felt extremely genuine until Bode completely plot twists the shit out of the narrative.

And that echo you can access after beating the narrative, of him and Kata singing the lullaby...Damn.

More important, I liked how they decide to make a Cere vs Darth Vader and didn't went with the temptation of forcing another Vader vs Cal once again. It sets up things perfectly for the next game because now it will be way more personal.

Hats off Respawn Entertainment, you legit made the best Star Wars narrative in recent years.

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

Last edited:

Denton

Latest patch introduced a bug where bounties for Caij do not work, it is not possible to talk to her about it.
Pretty fucking terrible bug, congrats respawn.

I've only been playing the game in Quality mode so I don't have a direct reference of how Performance was outside of DF, but Quality seems .. I guess still a good 30 FPS mostly lol.

edit: the fuck, I lost around 30 minutes of progress because of the patch ....

I think this latest patch didn't do anything to make it better, in fact I noticed some things that immediately struck me as being worse in the Quality mode. Textures weren't loading in places where they had been before and what seems to be worse ghosting.

adamsapple

I think this latest patch didn't do anything to make it better, in fact I noticed some things that immediately struck me as being worse in the Quality mode. Textures weren't loading in places where they had been before and what seems to be worse ghosting.

For me, it was give or take the same. The easiest place to notice is right outside the Mantis in the hub planet. Almost always, the distant mountains take ~10 seconds to load.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Just got to the first open world section and this game is running like absolute ass, even with the latest patch.

Honestly no excuse for it. Game doesn't even look better than some PS4 games in performance mode.

Maybe I should just buy Zelda and wait for them to fix this trash.
Yeah, just started playing and I was shocked at how poor it looks and how it runs. The worst is seeing pixelation around Cal as you rotate the camera, like, what the hell. Normal mode drops down to what feels like high teens, and performance mode is down in the 30s or something for framerate. If it’s because of raytracing, fuck that. I think I had more consistent framerates in Gotham Knights.

I’m also playing Division 2 with my best friend on PS5 and it’s more visually consistent, far less janky, and runs at 60 FPS. An upscaled PS4 game is a better looking title.

Roufianos

Yeah, just started playing and I was shocked at how poor it looks and how it runs. The worst is seeing pixelation around Cal as you rotate the camera, like, what the hell. Normal mode drops down to what feels like high teens, and performance mode is down in the 30s or something for framerate. If it’s because of raytracing, fuck that. I think I had more consistent framerates in Gotham Knights.

I’m also playing Division 2 with my best friend on PS5 and it’s more visually consistent, far less janky, and runs at 60 FPS. An upscaled PS4 game is a better looking title.
After this post I went and looked into the performance, dude it fucking runs at 600p at some points, no wonder it looks pixely.

A huge help though was I read you can turn VRR on in the PS5 settings, makes it a lot smoother and without screen tearing if you have a compatible TV.

The PC version came with my CPU so I tried it and it makes the PS5 version look like a Switch version in comparison. Nice IQ unlike the Vaseline mess on console and I was getting 90fps+ all throughout the first level even with everything maxed out. The second level might be terrible of course so I will try it out later.

It still stutters but it must be at least somewhat better than it was on release as it looked really bad in the DF video and it was ok today. The frametime graph isn't flat like it should be but it was 100x more playable than I found the console version - everything is just so much more responsive. I will take a bit of stutter over 648p resolution and an erratic framerate.

I doubt they will ever fix this game as Fallen Order still has issues on every platform but I'm ditching my 75% done console playthrough to play on PC unless shit hits the fan in the later levels.

Denton

Does the game work yet? I.e doesnt crash? Put my pc play through on pause til thats fixed
I finished the game on PC (5800X3D, 3080Ti), play in 4K, FSR performance, all epic, RT off. Did not have a single crash in 54 hours of playtime. It ran at 60fps 100% of the time, with exception of when it stuttered in some specific places.

That said, there is one nasty bug with (optional) bounties questline not available, and as I said the game still stutters from time to time in some unoptimized areas.

But I found it playable well enough to finish and have good time with.

Few shots

starwarsjedisurvivorsjqcnd.png

starwarsjedisurvivorsofidx.png

starwarsjedisurvivorsu6egt.png

starwarsjedisurvivorsf6e93.png

starwarsjedisurvivorsxtieq.png

starwarsjedisurvivors51fw7.png

starwarsjedisurvivorscsclk.png

starwarsjedisurvivors6jiho.png

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
I didn't play yet but reading it didn't fully fixed the fucking game just partially fixed the fucking awesome game, And no, no performance mode updates in the latest update.

Bartski

Gold Member
Got it today at discount hoping they sorted out performance over 2 months from release... I just made it past first few missions in the large open area planet. I am enjoying myself, man it does run like utter shit, chugs to sub 30 in cut scenes anyway and the pop-in wtfffff... It does look ok sometimes but in no way good enough to justify it. Honestly I'm shocked bad the picture quality is on PS5 performance mode. To make matters worse, it doesn't support VRR while it clearly outputs it resulting in epic screen tearing on my C2 despite having both free and g syncs enabled in the tv... First time I see it happen. I have Are they still working on it?

Luipadre

Got it today at discount hoping they sorted out performance over 2 months from release... I just made it past first few missions in the large open area planet. I am enjoying myself, man it does run like utter shit, chugs to sub 30 in cut scenes anyway and the pop-in wtfffff... It does look ok sometimes but in no way good enough to justify it. Honestly I'm shocked bad the picture quality is on PS5 performance mode. To make matters worse, it doesn't support VRR while it clearly outputs it resulting in epic screen tearing on my C2 despite having both free and g syncs enabled in the tv... First time I see it happen. I have Are they still working on it?

It supports VRR but the fps is so shit it drops well below 48. Just forget the performance mode and get used to quality. Its still not perfect but much better than shit performance mode

oji-san

Banned
And from what i could understand it uses RT in performance mode? why? Don't they see it doesn't run good enough to enable RT? make another performance mode without RT, ok?

yamaci17

And from what i could understand it uses RT in performance mode? why? Don't they see it doesn't run good enough to enable RT? make another performance mode without RT, ok?
game's graphics pipeline is broken without ray tracing. one reason why they were able to ship the game quickly as it did is most likely because they relied on ray tracing's automation of many things.
reflections and overall lighting in broken in many places without ray tracing. even I had to play with dogcrap frametime spikes and low framerate averages to play with ray tracing on my end lowend ray tracing capable machine. I couldn't stomatch how bad reflections and lighting looked without ray tracing. especially Cal's hair glows whenever you move under the sun. it just sucks really. and then there are broken reflections that has all kinds of weird artifacting

Frexerik88

Neo Member
Bought this on sale for PC.
Im really enjoying the game so far, very compelling and satisfying gameplay loop with a decent story. At this rate it will be one of my favorite games of the year!
Only problem im having is that it runs like ass.. Im usually not too sensitive to framerate drops but this game has very noticeable dips..

game's graphics pipeline is broken without ray tracing. one reason why they were able to ship the game quickly as it did is most likely because they relied on ray tracing's automation of many things.
reflections and overall lighting in broken in many places without ray tracing. even I had to play with dogcrap frametime spikes and low framerate averages to play with ray tracing on my end lowend ray tracing capable machine. I couldn't stomatch how bad reflections and lighting looked without ray tracing. especially Cal's hair glows whenever you move under the sun. it just sucks really. and then there are broken reflections that has all kinds of weird artifacting
And this is exactly why the whole argument that "ray tracing is great because devs won't have to do their own lighting" has scared me from the beginning. So it helps the devs out, but it fucks over the consumers because it results in a game with shit performance. Fuck ray tracing for now. Maybe in 5 years it will be worth it.

Banned
And this is exactly why the whole argument that "ray tracing is great because devs won't have to do their own lighting" has scared me from the beginning. So it helps the devs out, but it fucks over the consumers because it results in a game with shit performance. Fuck ray tracing for now. Maybe in 5 years it will be worth it.

it would be worth it now if consoles weren't stuck with AMD GPUs

it would be worth it now if consoles weren't stuck with AMD GPUs
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The consoles are not equipped to handle ray tracing, so it's not worth it. The devs know the type of hardware they're working with and are choosing to implement ray tracing despite the clear downsides, so fuck them and fuck anyone the mandates ray tracing on consoles.

Last edited:

Banned
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The consoles are not equipped to handle ray tracing, so it's not worth it. The devs know the type of hardware they're working with and are choosing to implement ray tracing despite the clear downsides, so fuck them and fuck anyone the mandates ray tracing on consoles.

they are equipped to handle raytracing if done right. which it isn't here.

they clearly should have switched to UE5 and maybe delay the game a bit. having software Lumen in performance mode and Hardware Lumen in fidelity mode would have helped immensely I bet.

Bartski

Gold Member
It supports VRR but the fps is so shit it drops well below 48. Just forget the performance mode and get used to quality. Its still not perfect but much better than shit performance mode
took your advice and yes this could be the first game in ages I'll play in quality/~30fps. Masking pop-in with low fps, still a good deal here and IQ is much better overall

Banned

that's where the Series X's 120hz and low framerate compensation saves the day again.

the input lag in this game is ridiculous at 30fps, so getting anything above that is way better

sigmaZ

Dropped FFXVI and loaded this up. Great opening mission, glad to see you start out with your core abilities instead of at square one. Nice graphics too, and controls feel less clunky than Fallen Order did. Everything seems like a step up.
Does it have FFXVI style side quests? Heh.

Bartski

Gold Member
Just finished it, Fallen Order is far better game.
I couldn't care less about Star Wars and as someone who really liked Fallen Order a lot - on PS5 Jedi Survivor is just a piss poor game overall, 4/10 at best.

As everyone knows by now "performance mode" is just trash. I tried playing most of first 3 chapters in quality mode which is way more "solid" if you can call it that way... but playing in 30 exacerbates another big issue with the game - truly bad traversal. About 30% of gameplay here is "puzzle climbing", and I don't ever recall being this annoyed by it in any other game where it's a thing. As if the character constantly does something else than I intended, which in later sections results in falling to death and repeating ad nauseum. That combined with progression-blocking bugs forcing me to reload a save 25 mins earlier at one point even made me rage quit and uninstall the game, from then onwards (early 3rd chapter) I just switched to Jedi Padawan and totally ignored all of the side content just to make it to the end.

Horrible platforming aside, combat is OK if you can look past all the wonky animation blending that makes it all just feel bad on the controller. So while it looks nice in quality mode, it's so tiresome to play I switched back to performance for the second half of the game. Feels more in control when the game is a bit less of a slideshow... except when it isn't. Despite IQ being just awful with constant pop-in and shit LOD loading and screen tearing the performance mode introduces, the game still chugs hard in open areas, and worst of all - it totally ruins some of its best boss fights by dropping down to what feels like 15-20 fps chug fest in all mid-fight cutscenes and cinematic flashy story moments.

This game should not have been released in this state but now we're 2 months in, was it really even worse at launch?

So if you're a Star Wars fan on a console - don't touch it till they either redesign the game with baked lights ditching RT that adds literally nothing of value here, or wait till the PS5 pro if you're this desperate.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I couldn't care less about Star Wars and as someone who really liked Fallen Order a lot - on PS5 Jedi Survivor is just a piss poor game overall, 4/10 at best.

As everyone knows by now "performance mode" is just trash. I tried playing most of first 3 chapters in quality mode which is way more "solid" if you can call it that way... but playing in 30 exacerbates another big issue with the game - truly bad traversal. About 30% of gameplay here is "puzzle climbing", and I don't ever recall being this annoyed by it in any other game where it's a thing. As if the character constantly does something else than I intended, which in later sections results in falling to death and repeating ad nauseum. That combined with progression-blocking bugs forcing me to reload a save 25 mins earlier at one point even made me rage quit and uninstall the game, from then onwards (early 3rd chapter) I just switched to Jedi Padawan and totally ignored all of the side content just to make it to the end.

Horrible platforming aside, combat is OK if you can look past all the wonky animation blending that makes it all just feel bad on the controller. So while it looks nice in quality mode, it's so tiresome to play I switched back to performance for the second half of the game. Feels more in control when the game is a bit less of a slideshow... except when it isn't. Despite IQ being just awful with constant pop-in and shit LOD loading and screen tearing the performance mode introduces, the game still chugs hard in open areas, and worst of all - it totally ruins some of its best boss fights by dropping down to what feels like 15-20 fps chug fest in all mid-fight cutscenes and cinematic flashy story moments.

This game should not have been released in this state but now we're 2 months in, was it really even worse at launch?

So if you're a Star Wars fan on a console - don't touch it till they either redesign the game with baked lights ditching RT that adds literally nothing of value here, or wait till the PS5 pro if you're this desperate.
Agreed, I also don't care about Star Wars

Topher

Gold Member
Picking this game up today for PS5 to take a break from Diablo 4 and do some trophy hunting. Sounds like mixed responses in this thread though. Guess I'll find out for myself.

Top Bottom