• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaDPo0L84

Got a really cool rifle that does poison damage during a side quest, now my current favorite gun. Also got a legendary melee weapon, gonna try that out a bit.
Screenshot-2023-09-02-120929.png
Screenshot-2023-09-02-121206.png

norm9

Absolutely loving it so far. About level 9 so far and at the part where you have three missions to go to. I've pumped all my skills into social skills so far. Hoping I can avoid combat as much as possible or start using my social skills to affect them.

Digging the traveling. I can see why people want a manual landing and launching, and I can see it might be fun once or twice, but after that, I'm sure I'd just skip it so fast travel works well with how I play. The surface map could be way better, but I just use the scan mode and it works fine since it automatically has "clairvoyance" arrows telling me where I need to go.

I rarely use the planetary map since scan mode is so useful. What I do dislike is sometimes, scan mode will let you loot while other times, it will not, and the only way to tell there's any other interaction with the object is by turning off scan mode. Exploring is really fun. Landing on a random area and then exploring and seeing some POI's pop up is neat.

Set down my first outpost but don't really know what's up with it. Barely touched the ship customization, will have to try that after work tonight. Might start doing illegal things like pirating and stealing ships later tonight.

My biggest concern right now is deciding whether to restart with a new character now that I have my sea legs under me and understand the systems. But I've already dumped quite a few hours into my initial industrialist social butterfly Chad character.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Honestly there's an extremely high chance this is my favorite WRPG of all time. My top ones were Mass Effect, Deus Ex and Morrowind and I think this beats all of them already. But I still have a couple hundred hours to go I think.

We'll see. It has been a long time since I fully lost all sense of time in the real world for days due to immersion in a game.

I really liked the last ship I stole off some pirates so I decked it out a bit:
1kaBK7V.jpg

c9XnBJ0.jpg

7shVAtj.jpg

The ship builder should let you preview inside the habitat's though, I've now added a crew compartment that's only accessible by first taking a ladder into the captain's quarters, and then heading back down lol.

Last edited:
I thought I lost Vasco running around the city. But he showed back up at constellation headquarters.
2 days of playing and I finally visit constellation main quest. I've spent my entire time doing all the side quests I've found.
I assume now that I've visited constellation I can finally use my ship to travel to somewhere other than New Atlantis. Before the map would not let me go anywhere not even the closest moon.

SenkiDala

I finally could put a few hours (5 or 6) into the game and I love it.

I'm upset at people comparing it to Forbidden West (this asshole David Jaffe and more), or to Spider-Man, etc. The games have incomparable scale. It is comparing the scale of a game like GTA3 with GTAV. If those 2 games (GTA3/5) were on the same gen they would look totally different graphically. People never think about the scale.

For a game of its scale it is a technical marvel, it runs a very steady 30fps, once your eyes adapt to it, it's perfectly fine, and other than that the textures, the lighting, the facial expressions of important PNJs are awesome. And there are so many things to do, so so so many things, you can play this game a thousand hour and you would still have things to discover, and this is especially why this is so pathetically unfair, and dishonest, to compare it with a game like Spider-Man (which I love, I got the plat', even tho I don't care trophies).

Terenty

This game's tech, constant loadings, graphics, especially those ugly as fuck npcs, etc are frankly speaking embarrassing.

How they can release something like that 5 years after Red dead redemption 2, which feels light-years ahead of this is beyond me.

Honestly there's an extremely high chance this is my favorite WRPG of all time. My top ones were Mass Effect, Deus Ex and Morrowind and I think this beats all of them already. But I still have a couple hundred hours to go I think.

We'll see. It has been a long time since I fully lost all sense of time in the real world for days due to immersion in a game.
Yeah way too early to say that, my favourite is either Skyrim or Witcher 3 both I put in well over 100hrs on first play through. This is not as in your face as those two and is a slow burner but it's also considerably bigger.

JayK47

I'm liking this well enough. But I definitely prefer Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. So far the combat is too easy and too infrequent in this game. And I have no idea how to do half of anything. Companions? I seem to have 3 of them, but only one follows me around. No idea how to get others to follow me. I can assign them to the ship. I assume only 1 will follow at a time. I guess I have 100 or more hours to figure it out.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh I saw something new I haven’t seen yet. While I was exploring this random moon a space pirate ship landed. I ran over ( ram and ran and ran 😒). They killed me and I forgot to save before hand so I turned it off for now.

I wonder if that was random?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh I saw something new I haven’t seen yet. While I was exploring this random moon a space pirate ship landed. I ran over ( ram and ran and ran 😒). They killed me and I forgot to save before hand so I turned it off for now.

I wonder if that was random?
It is. Sometimes you have Pirate Ships, Ecliptic Merc Ships, UC Colonist ships touch down and lift off. Unsure if you can sneak aboard and take their ship on the surface.

What's more is if they lift off you can get into your ship go into orbit and shoot down their ship or kill their engines and take it over. Fun stuff.

It is. Sometimes you have Pirate Ships, Ecliptic Merc Ships, UC Colonist ships touch down and lift off. Unsure if you can sneak aboard and take their ship on the surface.

What's more is if they lift off you can get into your ship go into orbit and shoot down their ship or kill their engines and take it over. Fun stuff.
You can, I've literally stolen 5+ ships this way, if you sneak aboard you can even kill the pilot before they take off, so you don't have to fight in zero g.
Every time I see a ship land I have to control my self not to go over there and take it for my ever growing collection.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
You can, I've literally stolen 5+ ships this way, if you sneak aboard you can even kill the pilot before they take off, so you don't have to fight in zero g.
Every time I see a ship land I have to control my self not to go over there and take it for my ever growing collection.
Do you get a hanger to park ships?

Question on main quest

"How the hell do you enter Temple Alpha? I can't find an entrance like the first one, I've run around this thing 100 times lol"

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just completed the Mantis side questline and got a swanky new ship and legendary suit as a reward.

Very nice.

Though this one also has the same 2 crew limit.

Punished Miku Punished Miku The issue I was having with Sarah not letting me access her inventory got sorted, I guess when she first joins you, it's in a temp party member state, but after finishing the second story mission, she's a formal partner.

I really wish you could go with 2 people instead of just one though.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
This game's tech, constant loadings, graphics, especially those ugly as fuck npcs, etc are frankly speaking embarrassing.

How they can release something like that 5 years after Red dead redemption 2, which feels light-years ahead of this is beyond me.

Let me tell you jumping back into BG3 after playing starfield is quiet something. They should ditch this fucking engine.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Playing it right now. Neither of us have played enough to decide whether it can actually win GOTY just on its own merits.

So we're going to have to base it on metacritic and there's not a chance in hell an 86 game or we it is right now is beating two 96 games. It doesn't happen.

Yah doubt so. Safe to say its a 3 ways fight here.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You have to be delusional if you seriously think this lmao.

I don’t think its delusional. Especially considering it is a fun game. I am sure a 7/10 IGN review from an individual who have displayed his biases of Microsoft acquiring ABK wont affect its chance at GOTY.

I don’t think its delusional. Especially considering it is a fun game. I am sure a 7/10 IGN review from an individual who have displayed his biases of Microsoft acquiring ABK wont affect its chance at GOTY.

Lol fun. No one seriously thought any of Sony's sub 90s had a chance at GOTY even if they were nominated. Starfield isn't that game.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Don't know if it's displayed properly in this screenshot but the npc's characters are something. This dude is rocking a full Karen haircut. No "It's Ma'am" moments yet.

Rv0l7Oq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom