• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manlisten

Before:
after:

just installed that mod (just updates the color LUTs, no reshade) and it makes a huge difference. Loving it so far.
Incredible

bymerD1.png

Thing is, it is a GOTY material. Like TOTK or BG3.
...did you even play the game?

Playing it right now. Neither of us have played enough to decide whether it can actually win GOTY just on its own merits.

So we're going to have to base it on metacritic and there's not a chance in hell an 86 game or we it is right now is beating two 96 games. It doesn't happen.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing it right now. Neither of us have played enough to decide whether it can actually win GOTY just on its own merits.

So we're going to have to base it on metacritic and there's not a chance in hell an 86 game is beating two 96 games. It doesn't happen.

Death Stranding isn't even in the top 100 highest reviewed games of 2019 and yet it somehow won the most GoTY awards.

The meta scores don't really mean much, but with Zelda, pretty much no other game has a chance.

BG3 reviewed well, but it just doesn't have the kind of market appeal that Zelda does and won't be winning critics over comparatively.

Last edited:

twilo99

I really wish taking off and landing had an option for a manual operation..

What are the chances of something like that being added as a mod or is that too much to ask for?

I just scrolled through the max distance universe map and its genuinely distressing lol.

Yes it is hah

Death Stranding isn't even in the top 100 highest reviewed games of 2019 and yet it somehow won the most GoTY awards.

The meta scores don't really mean much, but with Zelda, pretty much no other game has a chance.

BG3 reviewed well, but it just doesn't have the kind of market appeal that Zelda does and won't be winning critics over comparatively.

I figured we're talking about Geoff's ultimate award which yeah it always goes to the 90+ games if there are any that year

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need to stop looting every fucking thing everywhere, it make the pace of game glacial and in 3 hours i feel like i actually play 30 min, the rest is scanning, looting and weight management :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, how do you handle space exploration? do you just land on random planets with points of interest?

I onestly feel a bit overwhelmed with such big world :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Once I figured out that you can navigate in space by hitting the scanner/lb my enjoyment increased exponentially. I don’t know why they don’t even seem to mention this in the tutorial becsuse it’s way more immersive than popping into a menu.
That’s how I travel. I fast travel back to my ship after exploring an area, enter my ship, take off with the cutscene, set my coarse, watch the cutscene with the grav jump, decide where I’m going to land, watch that scene, exit my ship, then I’m off.

People can make it as immersive as much as they put into it. But I guess it’s easier to complain about the game not being something it’s not.

You can reload a previous quick save or just land into Atlantis from wherever you are in the space atmosphere. Just don't go to the orbit/planet where you always keep getting attacked. Use the menus , navigate to Atlantis, go to the lodge and click land all through the menus and you can skip all the fightingn and grav jumping. This happened to me as well.
It’s like nobody had a played a game with saves before. Has everyone just grown too accustomed to checkpoints?

Reactions: Isa

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I need to stop looting every fucking thing everywhere, it make the pace of game glacial and in 3 hours i feel like i actually play 30 min, the rest is scanning, looting and weight management :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, how do you handle space exploration? do you just land on random planets with points of interest?

I onestly feel a bit overwhelmed with such big world :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Bro, i'm like 15 hours in and I had the panic of being overwhelmed at like hours 3 - 6. It was just throwing stuff at me. Then I realised. I can play this game for as long as I want. There is no rush. I've gotten into the rhythm and just taking it as it comes and its clicked even more. I love it.

DeaDPo0L84

Okay got around 6 hours now and a couple small things are annoying me:

1) When you have to follow an NPC they won't run if you run. In most games they'll stay at your pace so you don't feel tied down, surely something that can be fixed.

2) Can't switch weapons while scan mode is active. I'll be scanning things and mining but then suddenly start getting attacked and I can't just switch to a gun to defend myself, I have to leave scan mode and then I can which doesn't make much sense.

3) I wish when on a planet and you have your scanner open and notice say a cave or outpost, you could just ping it directly from there to give you an idea how closer/far you are from it as you travel on foot.

All pretty minor stuff but things that have stuck out since playing. Back to murdering dinosaurs for no apparent reason!

SCB3

So a good few hours today (juggling with the new Destiny raid) and I’m loving it as much as Fallout I can see the complaints about the ship stuff though, the space combat is serviceable but the flight stuff and flying is kinda pointless, it may as well just be a menu at this point

Disappointing as I was expecting a NMS lite version of space exploration but yea

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Yeah so is Bethesda known for taking an inspiration from a mod and implementing it in the game with a patch?
The thing is, those LUT transforms the image the way they vision it and want you to experience it.

What they could do is simply add a setting to disable the color LUT just like they allow to disable film grain and motion blur but leave it enabled by default.
Or even a slider to tone it down and still be able to disable it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Before:
WJlxvtd.jpg

after:
PzSzSbG.jpg

just installed that mod (just updates the color LUTs, no reshade) and it makes a huge difference. Loving it so far.
This is a crazy difference. Maybe some people prefer the "cinematic" looks from the LUTs, but I think the clean, game-y look is way better.

New Atlantis comparison...
Before(Vanilla):
Medium-High-Mix-No-DRS-No-VRS-Frame-Gen-ON.png

After(LUT Mod):
No-LUT-Frame-Gen.png

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What an effin' disaster. JFC. 10/10, 9/10, 8/10? Are you serious, games journalism? Spent the whole day playing this. At first I was amazed that they've finally made a great looking game, some nice FPS mechanics and actualy really good looking people with nice facial animations... and then I started playing the game more. Bored to death while clearing out pirates and vacuum cleaning the base, then stumbled upon some quest which directed me to the cave where I had to scan minerals, which of corse got bugged and I couldn't finish it. Well, fuck it, I said, let's go to the New Atlantis, sell some shit and look at the city.

WTF is this, BGS?

wsPyAos.jpg

GVWi71t.jpg
ARr1EKx.jpg
f1sAgpx.jpg
iUrb4vq.jpg
uNNPuKc.jpg
sMKUBfT.jpg
4JjHGIp.jpg
1zV7uwM.jpg
1HF2Lvq.jpg
ejWF0iS.jpg
That's every settings on max! Where's goddamn volumetric and dynamic lighting and shadows? Where's effin' SSAO which is clearly not working? Why there's so many ancient and static lights? Why object shadows are so abysmal? Why cube maps are so terrible and super low-res? Why in the effin' fuck all indoor locations are so goddamn bright, empty and lifless with almost zero object blending etc. etc. etc.?

Now, the game looks good at times, there's no denying it, but Cyberpunk beats the living crap out of this game 99% of time, cuz every GFX settings actually works in the game and world/art/game design is far superior even without RT. Water rendering is atroucious, there's not animation, refractions or any kind of life when it comes to it, it feels like you're swiming in a lifeless transparent texture which is barely react to light.
PYx0Ah6.jpg
3UlElZy.jpg
nwPRF0O.jpg
sVuy5Fo.jpg
Hrk6loR.jpg
Where's goddamn local map? What the fuck is this?
u3GTAae.jpg
Morrowind had local map for ass sake. How are you expecting us to walk around such a huge, maze-like city without a local map? Why there's so many pointless meat, coffee stores, bars, banks and god knows what else with 1-2 people in them with almost nothing to say? What's the point? How are you expecting people to navigate this shit and not get lost, to know where and what's what? Even objective markers annoyed as fuck by all this. Fuuuuuck sake! What the hell happened? Did QA even looked at all this? Were testers even involved at all? How about even goddamn focus groups? Why the hell can't I know how many resources (or whatever else) of each type I have in cargo or inventory, while buying in stores? Are you expecting people to go back and forth between stores, cargo and inventory and memorize shit? How a sane man or a woman would even think by looking at all this, that it's good game design and it's alright to let people play the game in this state and condition?

Jesus.... maybe, just maybe story is actually good, fraction's quest too, maybe there's even good companions out there somewhere, but I sure as hell won't be going through all this shit (GFX aside completely) just to see it. They sure did a much better job with this game visually and it's for the most part does not feel like it's an ancient engine from 60 000 000 years ago, but hot damn does this game feels extremely underdeveloped, not really well realized, thought out, barely polished and well designed (I'm not talking about bugs). Maybe, just maybe, when a few dozen mods will be out to make from this game and actual game worth playing and not get bored to death, lost etc. I'll try and come back to it, but right now.... FUCK NO! Moreover, if this game will be nominated for GOTY, I will lose all hope in humanity.

I haven't expectied anything good from this game ever since it was announced and after F4/76, but for it to be this bad, so badly designed, undercooked and underdeveloped.... Prologue sure did fooled me into thinking that it's their best game after Skyrim, but then it it started to fall of a cliff with the speed of light. Moreover, the game absolutely does not justifyes such a insane GPU and CPU requirements, hell, it doesn't even use more than ~7GBs of VRAM.

Last edited:

Darchaos

Was exploring a moonbase with a landingpad, a ship landed and it just so happened that the crew in the ship died. I tryed to help and in the caos that was i managed to just get into the cockpit and the ship was mine. Boy am i lucky, it also happened to be a cargoship so i doubbled my cargocapacity! I love this game, totaly fricking love it, 20 hours played since yesterday.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Was exploring a moonbase with a landingpad, a ship landed and it just so happened that the crew in the ship died. I tryed to help and in the caos that was i managed to just get into the cockpit and the ship was mine. Boy am i lucky, it also happened to be a cargoship so i doubbled my cargocapacity! I love this game, totaly fricking love it, 20 hours played since yesterday.
I'm at 17 hrs in 2 days. Insanity.

I realise people are disappointed because of some things in this game or whatever, but it's exactly the game I expected it to be and even more, this is the bethesda game I always wanted to play.
I was never a big fan of the elder scrolls, and while I like fallout well enough, it's not exactly my favourite setting; this is basically mass effect andromeda with more freedom to fuck around and find out and that's honestly all I wanted; ubisoft's star wars is going to scratch that same itch I hope.

One thing I do miss from fallout 4 though, voice acting for the player.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there some way to mark points on the map? I am trying to explore landmarks on planets, but it's legit pissing me the fuck off that I can't get to these landmarks and or really tell which direction I am walking in. I'll walk in what looks like the right direction only to discover that I haven't been walking in the right direction.

Jesus Christ, Bethesda don't tell me you actually left this feature off.

xBlueStonex

About 15 hours in - having a blast for the most part, but damn does the writing feel awful. The first hour doesn't make a lick of sense, and the story rushes so fast to get you to a ship that it's almost nonsensical. You're a brand new miner - but oh wait - you just so happened to touch this magic space rock without an ounce of proper setup - oh now this guy wants go give you his ship (huh??) - oh now you're fighting off a whole gang of space pirates - oh now you're joining Constellation - etc. Everything happens way too fast, so much so that it all just ends up feeling incredibly forced. They definitely should have iterated more on the script as it needed a revision or two.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The LUT mod is producing a weird black glow on props and characters when moving, but especially when panning the camera. I first started noticing it in Constellation headquarters. I tried it with and without frame gen and upscaling. Then with and without the the extra .ini code that was provided in addition to the basic enable code. I went back to having no mod and the black glow is gone. I guess I'll play default now. Bummer, but I've been dicking around too much already for a first playthrough. Just gonna stick with DLSS3 and call it a day.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Couple of helpful protips:

- Use Mars for maxing the encumbrance perk tree training, it has lower gravity and the oxygen runs a lot longer, so you get tired slower
- Sleep 48 hrs and all merchants will restock their money in case you need to sell a lot of things.

It's amazing how long Bethesda is choosing to stick to some of their aging tech and design decisions. Some aspects of the game really feel like a trip to gaming's past. At the same time, you have to appreciate that they have a formula for making these games and they stick with it.

The game also shows a lot of ambition though. What's sticking out the most to me is the incredible scale of some of the locations. It really sells the space vibe when you come across all these massive structures and facilities. And every location is packed with details, stuff to collect and read etc. Getting to Mars and finding gigantic overground and underground locations is just cool. And the sheer amount of content on just the three planets I've visited is kind of insane.

Last edited:

Bkdk

As bad as the vanilla game is, not given up hope yet, hopefully modders will do some magic to it. Seems like the modders are pretty active and many new mods posted daily.

SJRB

Gold Member
I’m so confused about the ship builder. How do I add a habitat module? Or change cockpit? Or change the interior?

I am on the planet where the Lodge is, every one else is walking about in normal clothes, I am in spacesuit and helmet, I have toggled in the inventory but they spacesuit and helmet will not disappear.
just goto your inventory click on the spacesuit you're wearing and at the bottom it will say press 'whatever button' to hide space suit in cities. Took me a minute to figure that one out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom