• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This game on PC with a couple basic mods continues to look damn good:

53159399298_80b89efdec_o.png

53159399308_d7fdc2cf49_o.png

53159111119_1b29e34cd2_o.png

Can't get enough.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
This game on PC with a couple basic mods continues to look damn good:

53159399298_80b89efdec_o.png

53159399308_d7fdc2cf49_o.png

53159111119_1b29e34cd2_o.png

Can't get enough.

oh yea I forgot it had mods.

(Semi OT, we need to get a mods thread going lol)

What mods did you have installed? This sounds like I need to have some of this day 1 as I don't really get this odd haze type filter they were going for, the dark blacks in the pictures you show look much better then what I'm seeing from their official footage

geary

What mods did you have installed? This sounds like I need to have some of this day 1 as I don't really get this odd haze type filter they were going for, the dark blacks in the pictures you show look much better then what I'm seeing from their official footage
I recommend to add reshade on the list.

Jumped to some planet because I had to destroy some shit, found a battle going on between two factions, killed them all cept one, disabled and boarded him.
Floated around in zero g while thinking oh this is cool, opened fire with my ballistic gun only to fly backwards because of the force; dope. Killed everyone on board, took the ship because it had more cargo space than mine and I didn't want to leave the loot of the other ships.
Then I noticed they were actually raiding a transport nearby, which was malfunctioning so the zero g would turn on and off every few seconds, pretty cool.
Murdered everyone, got some cool loot and took off in my new ship.

Stealing ships is my thing now; also I wanted to see how far I could get in the well by attacking everyone, turns out playing pure sith lord is easier than I thought:

As soon as I got one of the microguns of the security, I was literally deleting everything in sight in one second, went on an unstoppable murder spree before reloading lol.

manlisten

Stumbled across the
Topher & Big Bruno side story behind a locked door and almost crapped myself. Luckily had a shotgun on me that had a 20% damage to robots perk otherwise I would have been done for

Hope there's a lot more stuff like this in the game, because that was great.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Starfield won't genuinely be in conversation. It'll just be between the other two

Probably.

I think it might end up being something where BG3, Spiderman 2 and Zelda TotK end up being the majority that take GOTY awards this year, I'm sure Starfield will get a few btw as Fallout 4 took some during 2015.

Spiderman basically getting fucking curb stomped by God Of War 2018, I'm sure Spiderman 2 might have more room to collect that award from a few outlets, regardless, I feel the majority will be between BG3 and Zelda TotK.

What I'm seeing from Starfield right now, its already looking like its unlikely some outlets will give it that award if they are giving it 6,7,8s etc Add in the normal bugs we see from Bethesda games and it seems its a hard year to argue GOTY if you are Bethesda at this point. So maybe by end of year Zelda will be less relevant when its award time, but shit look at all the award BoTW got and it as also a early release that year (same with God Of War)

Yea I don't think it fucking matters when the game comes out lol I was thinking maybe being more recent might have it in the minds of some outlets or something, but realize the award has been won by many games that released in spring so...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Starfield won't genuinely be in conversation. It'll just be between the other two
Doubt so. I don’t see any other game on par with it except TOTK and Baldur’s Gate 3 at the moment. Except maybe Mario Bros Wonders

Btw guys, I just found out that you can actually steal someone’s ship too. I boarded a ship on the moon when nobody’s looking, and while in the ship it took off. Killed the pilot and captain on board and I assumed the cockpit seat.

DeaDPo0L84

Every single reshade currently all remove the piss green filter smeared all over the game. From there it comes down to personal taste, this is the one I use and I love it, Version 3 to be specific:

DeaDPo0L84

Out of curiosity what background/traits did everyone choose? I went with Bounty Hunter and the traits I chose were extrovert, the one that gives you a house, and wanted cause I "wanted" random battle encounters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where do I sell stolen stuff ?

Not Contraband, just the stolen stuff with the red icon. Got a lot of it hoarding my inventory and none of the vendors in new Atlantis have the option to sell it.

SteadyEvo

I think I’m about to drop this. Finally left Atlantis for a quick delivery mission. Come back and somehow ship attacks me every time I want to land. Can’t land in combat. Kill ship and the whole fleet wants my head.

I’m stuck in an infinite loop.

Every reviewer saying the game is in a good state bug wise early game is lying through their teeth.

Fuck this game
Hmm. I ran into a similar situation. Landed on a new planet and threw a grenade accidentally by some guards. All hell breaks loose. I leave the planet and get stopped by someone saying surrender. I agree, spend 7 days in jail, and things return to normal allowing me to continue the mission. Crew members weren’t happy but I’ve invested in persuasion so I calmed that situation. Hope you can figure it out. Game is awesome.

I think I’m about to drop this. Finally left Atlantis for a quick delivery mission. Come back and somehow ship attacks me every time I want to land. Can’t land in combat. Kill ship and the whole fleet wants my head.

I’m stuck in an infinite loop.

Every reviewer saying the game is in a good state bug wise early game is lying through their teeth.

Fuck this game
You can reload a previous quick save or just land into Atlantis from wherever you are in the space atmosphere. Just don't go to the orbit/planet where you always keep getting attacked. Use the menus , navigate to Atlantis, go to the lodge and click land all through the menus and you can skip all the fightingn and grav jumping. This happened to me as well.

Last edited:

lucbr

Spiderman basically getting fucking curb stomped by God Of War 2018, I'm sure Spiderman 2 might have more room to collect that award from a few outlets, regardless, I feel the majority will be between BG3 and Zelda TotK.

We have to wait to see but no Insomniac game has ever scored 90 on Metacritic, although I think the first Spider-Man deserved it. As a sequel, unless the game is really spectacular, I find it difficult to overcome Baldurs Gate. I wouldn't bet, with so many excellent games, that it will even be nominated, but again, we have to wait.

Same with Starfield, I am really enjoying the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like Hi-Fi got a spot in the list instead of it.

Last edited:

Not Contraband, just the stolen stuff with the red icon. Got a lot of it hoarding my inventory and none of the vendors in new Atlantis have the option to sell it.
trade authority vendor, not the kiosk, on atlantis you can find them in the well
Also if you are afraid of having those items on you, they don't show up on scans, only if you get caught committing a crime. Also they effectively become 'un'-stolen if you sell them, so you can just buy them back for full ownership

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

My guess is the trade authority on Mars / Cydonia. Havent tried it though.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Before:
WJlxvtd.jpg

after:
PzSzSbG.jpg

just installed that mod (just updates the color LUTs, no reshade) and it makes a huge difference. Loving it so far.
Thanks, that's much better than having to rely on ReShade mods that can only lessen the filter.
With auto HDR it looks great now, no more white clipping.

Works great on the Game Pass version.

Laieon

I'm not too far into the game (just hit New Atlantis), but as someone who wasn't looking forward to this at all based on me not historically enjoying Bethesda's games (I got it for free with a new GPU, so I figured I might as well try it), I'm really enjoying it so far. My only complaint is that the menus are terrible.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thanks, that's much better than having to rely on ReShade mods that can only lessen the filter.
With auto HDR it looks great now, no more white clipping.

Works great on the Game Pass version.
Yup! Thankfully it’s as simple as removing their awful LUT instead of monkeying around with the brightness/contrast/saturation trying to compensate for it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How'd you get Auto HDR working?
I don't know, it has worked on the Game Pass version since the early access launch.

Which version do you have ?
If you have never used Auto HDR, HDR has to be enabled on the desktop before starting the game and auto HDR has to be enabled in the display settings (I think it's there).

I've read that it does not work for the Steam version, maybe check the Steam forums as there could be a fix.
What you can try also is update the Xbox App and other MS stuff in the MS Store, I think one of the app has a list of which executables can use Auto HDR or not.

adamsapple

trade authority vendor, not the kiosk, on atlantis you can find them in the well
Also if you are afraid of having those items on you, they don't show up on scans, only if you get caught committing a crime. Also they effectively become 'un'-stolen if you sell them, so you can just buy them back for full ownership

Thanks!

adamsapple

That yellow kiosk on New Atlantis in the spaceport is also Trade Authority. They mentioned that you can sell stuff before entering the city. Might give it a shot.

adamsapple adamsapple

Trade authority folks are buying everything under the sun lol.

It's the one in The Well on New Atlantis.

Also, I don't know why but Sarah is tagging along with me yet I can't use her inventory. I was able to do it with Vasco before Sarah became the mandatory story partner.

Punished Miku

Trade authority folks are buying everything under the sun lol.

It's the one in The Well on New Atlantis.

Also, I don't know why but Sarah is tagging along with me yet I can't use her inventory. I was able to do it with Vasco before Sarah became the mandatory story partner.
Yeah thats weird. I can use both their inventory.

LoveCake

When in a city how do I remove the spacesuit and helmet? I have toggled it on and off in the inventory but no matter what I do the suit and helmet never go away!!

reinking

Gold Member
I don't care about these things but I am not getting achievements on PC (Game Pass). The only mod I have used is the FOV mod. Do you have to open Game Pass hub to get achievements? (*Yes) I have been launching the game straight from the desktop. I accidentally opened the console but I never entered anything there but it popped up a warning. Not sure I care if it starts working but I am trying to figure out why it happened.

**I had a save that I could do a quick test. It turns out you have to have the Game Pass app loaded if anyone plays on PC (Game Pass) and wants the achievements. Has it always been like that?

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Starfield isn't on par with either TOTK or BG3, hence why it won't really be in the conversation

Thing is, it is a GOTY material. Like TOTK or BG3.
...did you even play the game?

I'm not too far into the game (just hit New Atlantis), but as someone who wasn't looking forward to this at all based on me not historically enjoying Bethesda's games (I got it for free with a new GPU, so I figured I might as well try it), I'm really enjoying it so far. My only complaint is that the menus are terrible.

My advice: It might be tempting but I suggest doing the main missions first to open up the game before doing the side missions on New Atlantis or any other planets.

Also invest your points into Persuasion & Weight Lifting Skill

Persuasion lets you convince people easier, which can often stop bloodshed.

Maybe it's because I haven't finished the mission to take her to Mars yet ?
I don't like traveling with companions in this game as I much prefer the lone wolf approach. Do her Mars mission and then you can tell her to fuck off. She was annoying me, because after I talked to for the first timen I spent like hours in Atlantis doing side quests while she was following me the entire time. I got tired of her so I said fuck it did the main quest and then back to side questing lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

When in a city how do I remove the spacesuit and helmet? I have toggled it on and off in the inventory but no matter what I do the suit and helmet never go away!!
Are you in a city with safe environment / o2? Sounds like a glitch.

Fredrik

This game, wow, I can’t stop playing, over 15 hours in now, it’s just getting better. Arrived at Akila city and the texture work and old city clutter is amazing, this is up there with Cyberpunk visually as far as I’m concerned.

I’ll post some pics under a spoiler tag, nothing really spoilery but if you want to go there blind then stay away:
BoOBoV8.jpg

C6kHNGD.jpg

lNCTNEB.jpg

You know when they say Jedi Fallen Order or Control has the worst map ever because of information overload or some shit. Well, heres fucking Starfield which gives you literally 2 points of information on ground level layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom