• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Never understood why people call Sacramento and its surrounding towns the Bay area it is nowhere near the water or the bay. Coming from Boston Mass the Bay State I was very confused when I heard Sac and its surrounding cities and towns refered to as the bay. Sac is the most country farm like rural city I ever seen. I mean within Sac its a nice small city but its literally surrounded by country side and its as inland as it gets with no ocean or large body of water around it so why do people call it the bay?

No one here really considers Sac to be part of the bay. Maybe some Sac folk think that of themselves so they don't feel left out, I dunno lol.

otapnam

No one here really considers Sac to be part of the bay. Maybe some Sac folk think that of themselves so they don't feel left out, I dunno lol.

Lol.... sac.

To me once u hit vacaville youre already out of the bay, don't know how anyone can claim sac hahahaha

Never understood why people call Sacramento and its surrounding towns the Bay area it is nowhere near the water or the bay. Coming from Boston Mass the Bay State I was very confused when I heard Sac and its surrounding cities and towns refered to as the bay. Sac is the most country farm like rural city I ever seen. I mean within Sac its a nice small city but its literally surrounded by country side and its as inland as it gets with no ocean or large body of water around it so why do people call it the bay?

I think the port would disagree

portsilos_2.jpg

shipatport2.jpg

the-port-of-west-sacramento-1-728.jpg

I think the port would disagree

portsilos_2.jpg

shipatport2.jpg

the-port-of-west-sacramento-1-728.jpg
that small ass stream is not a large body of water lol. The most farmy farm lands can have a stream of water or a river. I been over here for 6 years and have heard it associated with the bay on many ocassions and always laugh to myself and say how cute, they want to be down so bad lol.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hahaha oh sacramento. you're the new jersey/newark of the west coast. want so badly to be apart of it all, but can't shake that stink off yourself.

Wait, people call Sacramento the Bay Area? I moved here from the actual SF Bay Area two years ago, and I have never heard that.

Also, the Chesapeake Bay Area is the real Bay Area.

see5harp

Same (although it's been 10 years) . And what's with snow chains? I drove in snow for years with an '89 Honda Accord, now I need them just to be allowed to drive to Tahoe.

Honestly there is a big difference between going up to Tahoe when it's like this and driving on the midwest/east coast. They make 4x4's put on chains sometimes. They are saying part of Tahoe will hit with 3 feet of snow.

see5harp

People in Sac, nor anyone else in California, consider Sac part of the Bay.

fauxtrot

Banned
Stay safe, y'all.

As someone who's lived in Sacramento their whole life, no one has ever or will ever consider Sacramento as part of the Bay Area. We know it sucks here and we fully embrace it, don't worry.

Dalek

Although I disagree with it-there are people that lump in Sacramento with the Bay Area-even though that's nuts. They do it because the Bay Area's population has just been contionously expanding and people are being shoved out further and further west. I worked at TechTV and I knew people that lived in Sacramento and would drive to SF every day for work.

People in Sac, nor anyone else in California, consider Sac part of the Bay.

I have witnessed people myself calling it the bay all while I lived here, how are you going to tell me? this is what I have heard people over here say. A guy in this very thread referred to Modesto as the Bay Area.

fauxtrot

Banned
I love how one person comes in and posts complete bullshit and it completely derails the thread.

Literally no one has ever or will ever consider Sacramento a part of the Bay Area.

... so what time's this storm supposed to hit?

I live in Sac and I don't call it the bay. E-40 doesn't either and he knows what he's talking about!

I get to work tomorrow I'm excited. :(

I love how one person comes in and posts complete bullshit and it completely derails the thread.

Literally no one has ever or will ever consider Sacramento a part of the Bay Area.

... so what time's this storm supposed to hit?

says no one has ever or will ever consider Sac the Bay and ignores the post of the guy referring Modesto as the Bay area and ignores the other poster who has said he heard the reference. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110215234233AAkAK7a http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacramento/1512104-someone-once-told-me-some-consider-2.html

fauxtrot

Banned
Modesto is farther away from Sacramento than Sacramento is to the Bay Area. If they want to pretend they're in the Bay Area, that's their prerogative.

The Bay area can be defined via transit.

Wherever BART, Caltrain and ACE go = Bay Area
+Marin because BART was supposed to go there

That means from Gilroy to Stockton

And yes, one day Modesto, when ACE is expanded.

Why does this definition make sense? Commuters.

see5harp

I have witnessed people myself calling it the bay all while I lived here, how are you going to tell me? this is what I have heard people over here say. A guy in this very thread referred to Modesto as the Bay Area.

Are you from norcal? Was dude living in Modesto from norcal? It's not the Bay Area because it's in a VALLEY. The storm is going to hit all of nor cal though so it don't matter where you live. Shit is gonna be awesome.

Because when I'm citing a source, I always go for Yahoo! Answers...

Y7-e1351027172681.jpg

a source doesn't need to be sited just the question. He said nobody has ever considered Sac the bay and never will which is a pretty bold and inaccurate statement. You don't even have to read the source just the question.

Are you from norcal? Was dude living in Modesto from norcal? It's not the Bay Area because it's in a VALLEY. The storm is going to hit all of nor cal though so it don't matter where you live. Shit is gonna be awesome.

I am from Boston, I know its not the Bay, if you followed the thread you would see I have said I have been confused and wondered why I have heard some people in Sac reference it as the bay. This storm will be a breeze and most likely is being over hyped.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Pfft, I can take a ferry to SF, we are bay area in vallejo dammit!

_woLf

Is this storm the reason as to why it's abnormally warm and windy in Seattle this week?

I dunno if I like it or not.

see5harp

I am from Boston, I know its not the Bay, if you followed the thread you would see I have said I have been confused and wondered why I have heard some people in Sac reference it as the bay. This storm will be a breeze and most likely is being over hyped.

Yea and I'm saying those people can't be from nor cal. No one who is actually from sac or modesto or fresno or even vacaville claims the bay area.

ahh Gilroy. love the fresh smell of Garlic while driving threw that town.

t26

Actually part of Sacramento county does reach the bay are. If you drive from Brentwood up 160 you would be in Sacramento county for a short time before getting to solano county

I've never heard anyone call Modesto part of the Bay area, it's just Central Valley. As far as I know Central Valley is from Fresno to Sacramento.

I'm not sure if continuous 50mph winds in the city and half an inch of rain per hour counts as a breeze but idk

plus us being in a drought with dry soil that won't hold trees down in that sort of wind

edit: rain is supposed to start late tonight

fauxtrot

Banned
Nah, no rain yet in Sacramento. Isn't it not supposed to start until this evening? I hope I can get home before it gets too crazy out.

I was here for the flooding in the 90's, and the damage it did to the area I lived in at the time was pretty upsetting. Lots of lost and killed pets last time too... lets hope it doesn't hit us that hard.

Heel

Nah, no rain yet in Sacramento. Isn't it not supposed to start until this evening? I hope I can get home before it gets too crazy out.

I was here for the flooding in the 90's, and the damage it did to the area I lived in at the time was pretty upsetting. Lots of lost and killed pets last time too... lets hope it doesn't hit us that hard.

Yeah, the flooding was crazy. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm actually just hoping I get to watch my neighbor's tacky Christmas lawn display get blown around the block, never to be seen again.

What if one takes Amtrak from Sac to Richmond and transfer to BART? :p

I'm actually just hoping I get to watch my neighbor's tacky Christmas lawn display get blown around the block, never to be seen again.
lol so cruel but I laughed. To be safe I did put my Christmas lawn display up in the garage.

Mark Finan of KCRA says tomorrow's early commute should be dry but windy. Looks like the rain will be hitting around noon.

Dalek

Oh wow! My neighbor has a giant inflatable dog on his lawn too. I hope that dog flies away.

I work in a hardware store and we've had runs on EVERYTHING. Tarps, ropes, candles, lanterns, flashlights, batteries, etc. All gone in a flash

Dalek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom