• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastor

i moved here from the East Coast last year. I'd say this looks like a solid "severe thunderstorm" on the east coast.

Well I'm sure a 5.0 earthquake on the east coast woud get a lot of media attention while most people in California will sleep right through it.

Castro Valley and work in SF.

That's too bad, hehe.

I let my folks know of the warning. Living up in the mountains and shit ain't easy, and it'll be a whole lot worse with high winds and tall, thick trees hanging outside over their house. Previous owner was a bitch who apparently wouldn't finance cutting down the trees. God I hope when I go there that there isn't a tree in the living room.

Currently sandbagging areas of my parent's house which are prone to flooding. Probably going to work from home as well. It takes me 1 hour to do 15 miles on a regular day, no way I'm going to even try it in a storm lol.

KillerAJD

Ooh, fun. Stay safe on the roads everybody. When it rained pretty heavily before Thanksgiving, somebody about rear ended me going 50+ in an absolute downpour. They ended up sideswiping a van after dodging me (oh, and we were in dead stop traffic...).

S0N0S

The only thing I heard about in terms of weather in California was that there's a drought and it never rains. Moved to the Bay area early November (work in downtown SF) and it's rained nearly every week so far. Now we're getting the "Storm of the Decade."

The fuck is going on?

The only thing I heard about in terms of weather in California was that there's a drought and it never rains. Moved to the Bay area early November (work in downtown SF) and it's rained nearly every week so far. Now we're getting the "Storm of the Decade."

The fuck is going on?
We're still in a drought. This past month has been the most it's rained in a long time.

I mean it's nice to finally get rain, but fuck not that much.

The fuck is going on?

We appreciate you bringing the rain, bud.

Atenhaus

This storm is fucking giant. Stretches from NorCal to Canada. We're gonna be facing the same shit up here in Seattle.

Boogie9IGN

The fuck is going on?

Those 4 days it rained like crazy that week had more rainfall than all of 2013, no lie. Shit is nuts

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If only I could take the next few days off to enjoy the storm. Stuck at work :/

Dicer

Banned
Well I'm sure a 5.0 earthquake on the east coast woud get a lot of media attention while most people in California will sleep right through it.

We have had small rumbling here and lived, anything higher we are simply not prepared for, same goes for you and this weather on the left coast, I'm sure you'll all be just fine after the dust settles...well when the mud settles anyway.

Good luck and be safe...

Unstable

Shit, I have work and I have to take my mom to the doctor that day. Hopefully it doesn't flood.

On a positive note. RAIN WOO RAIN

studyguy

Out here in southern california and the central valley, sustained heavy rainfall would be disastrous. We absolutely need rain, but not like this with torrential floods stripping the land and drowning everything before it gets soaked back into whatever is left of the water table.

Anyway, stay safe northern California. Pack that snow, my clients need it and so does my snowboarding season.

Anyone in San Jose enjoy the traffic last night?

Oh yeah. -_-

I'm still conflicted about it. Obviously the suicidal person needs help, but wow, what an asshole. I wonder how many thousands of people's day that one person ruined. Kids waiting for parents, People who needed medical attention. Etc etc.

Rur0ni

i moved here from the East Coast last year. I'd say this looks like a solid "severe thunderstorm" on the east coast.
Pretty much. Wish we'd have them more often.
Anyone in San Jose enjoy the traffic last night?

Oh yeah. -_-

I'm still conflicted about it. Obviously the suicidal person needs help, but wow, what an asshole. I wonder how many thousands of people's day that one person ruined. Kids waiting for parents, People who needed medical attention. Etc etc.
Ruined my evening, that's for sure.

I'm sure this will cause a complete mess on Thursday in just about everything but god, I miss having a nice real storm in the Bay Area.

yayaba

I wonder once Thursday rolls around if the forecasts will be true or not.

Either way I'm most likely pre-buying Thursday lunch for the wife and I tomorrow evening after work and then not going into the office on Thursday. Not going to bother commuting in hellish weather.

SkyOdin

Gonna be driving back and forth in the Sac-Davis area. Guess I'm gonna have to stay with a friend tomorrow night.

Yeah, not sure I'd be comfortable driving across the causeway in a storm this bad. I really hope we don't see any flooding where I live.

Meatfist

Central valley here, it's been foggy as shit lately. We definitely need the rain but I don't look forward to driving this week

ezekial45

Banned
I have to drive into SF on Thursday morning. I'm thinking of taking the long way so I can avoid the traffic on 280 North.

This is gonna suck >_<

GobFather

I have to drive into SF on Thursday morning. I'm thinking of taking the long way so I can avoid the traffic on 280 North.

This is gonna suck >_<
Becareful....i live in SF and what worries is all the hills here lol... Theres so many here and with rain like that... I'm going to avoid driving at all cost...imagine.. pac heights... Russian hill.. Nob hill..bernal heights..... I'm staying low in inner Richmond :p

MaliciousH

Neo Member

This is gonna suck >_<
I lucked out with this storm. I'm driving up to SF from LA on Saturday for a conference. This storm could have easily happen then. I've drove in stormy conditions before from San Luis Obispo to SF. Doable but it can be tense especially in the hills/mountains. I'm not sure if I would like to deal with it for 6-8+ hours.

Is this shit hitting the south bay or the part of the bay area that "counts"
From what I'm seeing... everywhere eventually. This storm is going to zipper up with the coast from the north. You guys are going to get more of the core of the storm while us in LA going to get more of the tail.

Dalek

I went to pick up my Christmas tree tonight and the place was fucking packed. The attendant said that everyone showed up tonight to avoid the storm in the next few days.

TheYanger

Eh, people saying it's overblown: depends on where you're talking about. A LARGE part of Northern California is in serious risk of flooding every time shit like this comes about. I live right next to a levy, it happens like once every 10 years and it blows. Smaller towns often have the actual flooding you see (If the levy near me broke I'd be under 10 feet of water within a few minutes when it's flooding like that), so it definitely can be bad. All of the big cities won't suffer anything but rain and flooded streets though.

Eh, people saying it's overblown: depends on where you're talking about. A LARGE part of Northern California is in serious risk of flooding every time shit like this comes about. I live right next to a levy, it happens like once every 10 years and it blows. Smaller towns often have the actual flooding you see (If the levy near me broke I'd be under 10 feet of water within a few minutes when it's flooding like that), so it definitely can be bad. All of the big cities won't suffer anything but rain and flooded streets though.

I stay near a dam but its pretty low do to the drought and lack of rain along with having a very hot dry summer. My town also doesn't have a great sewage systems so even when it rains a little streets seem to get flooded fairly easily.

shaowebb

I used to live in Modesto CA in the bay area. If it rained an inch it'd be a flooded street given how poor the drainage was setup on their roads due to their low annual rainfall. Literally just a street river one inch deep over coming the few drains that would plug up.

An inch an hour? There is gonna be some flooding.

Rootbeer

Banned
i get off work early thurs morning and have 3 days off... hopefully i can get home and weather it there while i play some dragon age

jillytot

I used to live in Modesto CA in the bay area. If it rained an inch it'd be a flooded street given how poor the drainage was setup on their roads due to their low annual rainfall. Literally just a street river one inch deep over coming the few drains that would plug up.

An inch an hour? There is gonna be some flooding.

Lol Modesto is not in the bay area. Not even close.

Lol Modesto is not in the bay area. Not even close.
Never understood why people call Sacramento and its surrounding towns the Bay area it is nowhere near the water or the bay. Coming from Boston Mass the Bay State I was very confused when I heard Sac and its surrounding cities and towns refered to as the bay. Sac is the most country farm like rural city I ever seen. I mean within Sac its a nice small city but its literally surrounded by country side and its as inland as it gets with no ocean or large body of water around it so why do people call it the bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom