• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Star Break is over! The NEW MLB Thread - This half we get stickied for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i hope we face them in the playoffs and give them the trashing they so richly deserve. A's fans are worthless as far as im concerned.

Lol. Let us know how you really feel.

Mrbob said:
Lol. Let us know how you really feel.

happy? seriously. if it's a red sox fan i can handle. but an A's fan? what'd the yankees ever do to them? and dont give me that the yanks beat them in the playoffs, that's weak.
oh, well.... guess that's what happens when you are a fan of a popular team.

NLB2

Banned
Whatver, nobody outside of NYC likes the Yankees. The Cubs, on the otherhand, are loved the world over. I think what A's fans don't like about the Yankee's is the difference in payroll between the two teams.

NLB2 said:
Whatver, nobody outside of NYC likes the Yankees. The Cubs, on the otherhand, are loved the world over. I think what A's fans don't like about the Yankee's is the difference in payroll between the two teams.

that's weak. and i guess you havent noticed all those yankee fans that are in candem yards or say, oakland. *tee hee*

Mrbob

Cubs = The worlds favorite baseball team

It would be pandamoneum if the Cubs and Yankees met in the World Series. I'd love to see the Cubs win their first World Series in nearly 100 years over the evil empire. Honestly, I think a Cubs/Red Sox match up would be kind of depressing. Exciting, but depressing. Because you know one of those teams will have the streak continue.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Mrbob said:
Cubs = The worlds favorite baseball team

It would be pandamoneum if the Cubs and Yankees met in the World Series. I'd love to see the Cubs win their first World Series in nearly 100 years over the evil empire. Honestly, I think a Cubs/Red Sox match up would be kind of depressing. Exciting, but depressing. Because you know one of those teams will have the streak continue.

If the Cubs win the world series a lot of their charm is gone. Stay world's favorite team or win a world series?

NLB2

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
that's weak. and i guess you havent noticed all those yankee fans that are in candem yards or say, oakland. *tee hee*
Oh come on dude. Have you ever seen a map? Baltimore's two fucking centimeters away from New York! Of course Yankee fans are gonna go to Orioles-Yankees games at Camden. :D

Mrbob

Lathentar said:
If the Cubs win the world series a lot of their charm is gone. Stay world's favorite team or win a world series?

Yes. Who is going to surpass them? The asstros?

BTW good job stros on blowing a four run lead in the 6th!

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
lmao, in the top of the 9th inning in KC the power went out. It's been about a 20 minute delay so far. Sox are losing of course. That'd be great if they can't fix the power and they have to replay the game. Not that it'd matter, since our season is all but done. But I would find it funny.

Joe

no one outside of nyc likes the yankees? i guarantee yankees merchandise is sold in more countries than cubs merchandies is sold in US states.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Astros bullpen is fucking sad...

BRING ON FOOTBALL!

Mrbob

:(

Why did you have to go there. If the way things keep on going Lovie is gonna have the entire offensive and defenisve team on the DL opening day with hamstring pulls!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Mrbob said:
I'm almost positive the Expos sell more merchandise outside of NYC than the Stankees.

The Yankees have by far the largest road attendance in the league. There is no team more popular than the Yankees. During some road games the Yankee fans seem to outnumber the hometeam fans.

Mrbob

Sactown said:
The Yankees have by far the largest road attendance in the league. There is no team more popular than the Yankees. During some road games the Yankee fans seem to outnumber the hometeam fans.

Road attendance average for 2001-2004:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2001&seasonType=2

If anything that says the Giants are a bigger draw than the Yankees or Cubs. Many factors go into road attendance you can't just look at raw numbers and draw conclusions.

As far as road teams outnumbering the home team, welcome to any Cubs road game. Practically every Cubs road game you can hear chants of "Lets go Cubs!". The chants were especially thunderous today in Colorodo. Pretty loud in Houston too, eh Stros fans? :D

Fifty

Sactown said:

Sad, very sad..But true. Red Sox and Cubs aren't the #1 team in terms of fans outside their city. I've seen more styles of yankee caps, and more people wearing them in north america and even europe than any other MLB team.

edit: The Giants were a road draw because of Bonds, and his homers. That doesn't mean that fans of the team come to the games.. just fans of the moment. I wish the stats went far back.

Desperado

GODAMNIT I HATE THIS TEAM

1 good reliever. That's all we have.

100 K's for Lidge now. HOORAY LIDGE!

As for the team...Beltran, if you want to win, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. This team will never win anything.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Desperado said:
GODAMNIT I HATE THIS TEAM

1 good reliever. That's all we have.

100 K's for Lidge now. HOORAY LIDGE!

As for the team...Beltran, if you want to win, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. This team will never win anything.

You have seen the light.

NLB2

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm almost positive the Expos sell more merchandise outside of NYC than the Stankees.
I know I've got an Expos blow up bat but no Yankees merchandise. Besides, most Yankees merchandise has been sold thanks to the endorsement of Cameron. Purchasing Yankees gear is like buying blood diamonds.

Joe

Mrbob said:
Road attendance average for 2001-2004:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2001&seasonType=2

If anything that says the Giants are a bigger draw than the Yankees or Cubs. Many factors go into road attendance you can't just look at raw numbers and draw conclusions.

in 2001 the yanks were #3 in road attendance, since then they've been #1. and if yankee stadium was even half as accessible as most stadiums are they would probably sell out every home game.

to even doubt the yankees being the most popular baseball team in the world is foolish.

Actually, there was a summary poll in Sports Illustrated of favorite... *whatever*'s across the spectrum. The top three baseball teams in order were the 1) Yankees with ~10% of the vote, 2) Braves with 9% (I'm guessing its because they're the only team representing the dirty South) and 3) Cubs with ~9%.

However, in the poll of overall favorite sports teams the Yankees were still first, the Dallas Cowboys were second and the Cubs and Lakers were third or fourth.

edit: Doh Doh, I totally forgot that the Cubs and Braves' popularity has been helped a lot by the basic cable exposure from WGN and TBS.

And Sactown, Cubs fans have outnumbered home fans at a number of road stadiums this year. The recent Colorado series is a telling example of this and don't forgot the Cubs/Braves divisional series last year; there was about a 50/50 split in attendance in game 5 with the Cubs fans much rowdier throughout. Hell, even in Houston this year a large portion of the crowd was wearing blue and chanting for the Cubbies.

Joe

i know last season there was a polling that said the yankees were "americas team" (dethroning the braves) but i can never find the link.

NLB2

Banned
Joe said:
in 2001 the yanks were #3 in road attendance, since then they've been #1. and if yankee stadium was even half as accessible as most stadiums are they would probably sell out every home game.

to even doubt the yankees being the most popular baseball team in the world is foolish.
Yankees don't even sell out all their home games? Don't ever bring up the Yankees being more popular than the Cubs again. (And don't bring up the stadiums. Wrigley is falling apart and yet all the games are sell outs. Hell, they have to put seats on rooftops outside of the ballpark in a futile attempt to meet demand.)

Fifty

Yankee Stadium
Capacity: 57,478

Wrigley Field
Capacity: 39,558

Wrigley stadium is also in a much, much better location than Yankee stadium.

Joe

wrigley field capacity: 39,558
yankee stadium capacity: 57,478

nearly 20,000 seat difference. not to mention yankee stadium is the "most dangerous stadium in america" and being in the middle of the bronx which is a pain to get to and a nightmare to get out of.

edit: that's pretty weird fifty...

Well Wrigley field is in a beautiful area, but the overt homosexuality of the neighborhood's denizens would seemingly scare off most GA readers. ;)

And it's actually impossible to get to by car as the streets were zoned way before gentrification and there's no main parking lot; public transportation takes you right to the stadium but doesn't Yankee Stadium have a subway stop close to the entrance as well?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
omfg please. Anyone who says the Yankees aren't the most popular team is a cub fan. Jesus, come on. this is a no contest.

NLB2

Banned
:D Yankees fans are like Nintendo fans with their damage control.
And to seriously address the capacity issue:
I can't find a source (perhaps CubsFan or Mr. Bob can back me up on this) but the Cubs sold all tickets within the first three days they were avaible. I'd bet that even if Wrigley's capacity were doubled there would be no trouble selling all the tickets.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
these capacity numbers are bs. just because the cubs sell out every game does not make them more popular than the yanks. not even close.

what does EVERYONE say before/during baseball season? "I just hope those damn Yankees don't win it again"
no one says "I can't wait till those lovable losers come to town! maybe they'll win this year!"

it's not even close.

Dude, go cry in the corner with the 20 other Sox fans left about how your team lost the season series to the Cubs, is three games over .500 and just traded....again... for the non-impact duo of Everett and Alomar.

Joe said:
nearly 20,000 seat difference. not to mention yankee stadium is the "most dangerous stadium in america" and being in the middle of the bronx which is a pain to get to and a nightmare to get out of.

I find myself wanting to experience this and wanting to compare it to the hell that is getting out of Dodger Stadium.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
reggieandTFE said:
Dude, go cry in the corner with the 20 other Sox fans left about how your team lost the season series to the Cubs, is three games over .500 and just traded....again... for the non-impact duo of Everett and Alomar.

dude, why bash the sox? you say us south siders are starting shit, look at this. I did not bash the cubs at all in my last probably 20 posts. all i said is it's ridiculous to think the cubs are more popular than the yanks. take off your goddamn cubs blinders. ANYONE WHO THINKS THE CUBS ARE MORE POPULAR THAN THE YANKEES IS A DAMN FOOL. Period. this has nothing to do with my dislike for the cubs. SAYING ANY TEAM IS MORE POPULAR THAN THE YANKEES IS A LIE. period. so yeah, go bash the sox some more you ignorant fuck.

not to mention i already said our season is lost. there will be no postseason baseball in chicago, period. at least i don't flip-flop like you goddamn cubs fans. they lose 3 DUSTY SUCKS LOLZ WE SUCK IT'S FUNNY. then you win 4 and WERE GOING TO THE SERIES BOOK IT!

get off your high horse. you're hanging around the wildcard and have no shot at your division. better than the sox? yeah. so are about 13 other teams. who cares.

mrbob and cubsfan i've learned to coexist with, as i gave them as much shit as they gave/give me. reggieandTFE, on the other hand, is a prick. welcome to my ignore list. population: you

Mrbob

Cubs are a lock for the Wild Card. The Nomar trade has boosted this team to another level. Nomar could get 0 hits the rest of the season. Just making the move has made everyone on the team play better. They are making their run towards St. Louis right now. There will be playoff baseball in Chicago this year. And it will be much more enjoyable if you are a north side fan! :D

Dusty is finally starting to coach smart too. He is realizing he has to play the best players on the team instead of 'his guys'. Example being Todd Walker has been getting the starts the last couple days and he is thriving!

Matrix

Eminem said:
dude, why bash the sox? you say us south siders are starting shit, look at this. I did not bash the cubs at all in my last probably 20 posts. all i said is it's ridiculous to think the cubs are more popular than the yanks. take off your goddamn cubs blinders. ANYONE WHO THINKS THE CUBS ARE MORE POPULAR THAN THE YANKEES IS A DAMN FOOL. Period. this has nothing to do with my dislike for the cubs. SAYING ANY TEAM IS MORE POPULAR THAN THE YANKEES IS A LIE. period. so yeah, go bash the sox some more you ignorant fuck.

not to mention i already said our season is lost. there will be no postseason baseball in chicago, period. at least i don't flip-flop like you goddamn cubs fans. they lose 3 DUSTY SUCKS LOLZ WE SUCK IT'S FUNNY. then you win 4 and WERE GOING TO THE SERIES BOOK IT!

get off your high horse. you're hanging around the wildcard and have no shot at your division. better than the sox? yeah. so are about 13 other teams. who cares.

mrbob and cubsfan i've learned to coexist with, as i gave them as much shit as they gave/give me. reggieandTFE, on the other hand, is a prick. welcome to my ignore list.
population: you

I <3 this post.

NLB2

Banned
Eminem said:
these capacity numbers are bs. just because the cubs sell out every game does not make them more popular than the yanks. not even close.

what does EVERYONE say before/during baseball season? "I just hope those damn Yankees don't win it again"
no one says "I can't wait till those lovable losers come to town! maybe they'll win this year!"

it's not even close.
Calm down man. You're right in that the Yankees are a better franchise than the Cubs. No one will dispute you there.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Mrbob said:
Cubs are a lock for the Wild Card. The Nomar trade has boosted this team to another level. Nomar could get 0 hits the rest of the season. Just making the move has made everyone on the team play better. They are making their run towards St. Louis right now. There will be playoff baseball in Chicago this year. And it will be much more enjoyable if you are a north side fan! :D

Dusty is finally starting to coach smart too. He is realizing he has to play the best players on the team instead of 'his guys'. Example being Todd Walker has been getting the starts the last couple days and he is thriving!

I'm still waiting for either Prior or Wood to go down one more time with some problem. If they're close all the way down the stretch, Dusty is gonna work those arms hard.

Mrbob

Dude, remember Hendry already thought this out by placing Prior and Wood on extended DL stints in the beginning and middle of the year! :p

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
I still wanna know where the fuck Leicester(sp?) came from. Wasn't he just called up since they had no one else? Dude has been outstanding.

Meier

The Dodgers are 21 games over .500 and playing amazing ball right now (not to mention seemingly not even skipping a beat after the major trades that went down). Yet still drop from 3rd to 4th behind a 60-47 Oakland on the ESPN Power Rankings? What a crock a shit!

Joe

espn power rankings are a fucking joke. the red sox have been playing .500 ball for quite some time now and just this week they finally drop out of the top 5 (and they still get first place votes!).

Joe

here's a list of free agents after this season...
Starting Pitchers
Aaron Sele
Derek Lowe
Pedro Martinez
Esteban Loaiza
Brad Radke
Jon Lieber
Roger Clemens
Wilson Alvarez
Steve Trachsel
Kevin Millwood
Eric Milton
Woody Williams
David Wells
Ismael Valdes
Matt Morris
Al Leiter
Brett Tomko
Kris Benson
Odalis Perez
Cory Lidle
Matt Clement
Glendon Rusch
Elmer Dessens
Relievers
Felix Hernandez
Jason Christianson
Robb Nen
Antonio Osuna
Trevor Hoffmann
Rod Beck
Steve Kline
Jose Mesa
Rheal Cormier
Roberto Hernandez
Billy Wagner
David Weathers
Paul Schuey
Armando Benitez
Chad Fox
Antonio Alfonseca
John Smoltz
Terry Adams
Ron Villone
Curtis Leskanic
Billy Koch
Scott Williamson
Alan Embree
Mike Timlin
Troy Percival
Uegeth Urbina
Jeff Nelson
Eddie Guardado

Catchers
Dan Wilson
Jason Varitek
Einar Diaz
Henry Blanco
Kelly Stinnett
Damian Miller
Mike Matheny

OF
Marquis Grissom
Raul Mondesi
Carl Everett
Craig Biggio
Lance Berkman
Richard Hidalgo
Jeromy Burnitz
Moises Alou
JD Drew
Frank Cattalanotto
Steve Finley
Brian Jordan
Rusty Greer
Jermaine Dye
Carlos Beltran
Jacque Jones
Magglio Ordonez
Juan Gonzalez

1B/DH
Ellis Burks
Rafael Palmeiro
David Segui
Tony Clark
Eric Karros
Travis Lee
John Olerud
Tino Martinez
Brad Fullmer
Carlos Delgado
Richie Sexson
Robin Ventura
JT Snow

2B
Roberto Alomar
Jeff Kent
Bret Boone
Mark Grudzielanek

3B
Troy Glaus
Adrian Beltre
Bill Mueller
Joe Randa
Corey Koskie
Vinny Castilla

SS
Orlando Cabrera
Jose Valentin
Barry Larkin
Alex Gonzalez
Rich Aurilia
Cristian Guzman
Nomar Garciaparra

one hell of a list. the yankees are gonna have grand ol' time this off-season especially with pitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom