• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes Thread: aka Australia exacts revenge (cricket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
68587.jpg

First test gets underway today in Brisbane. :D

The Ashes Five Test Fixture

1st Test: Gabba, Brisbane - 23-27 Nov
2nd Test: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide - 1-5 Dec
3rd Test: WACA, Perth - 14-18 Dec
4th Test: MCG, Melbourne - 26-30 Dec
5th Test: SCG, Sydney - 2-6 Jan

Sportingbet Market Odds - as of 23/11 (Australian market)

Series Win:
Australia - $1.18
England - $7.50
Draw - $10.00

1st Test:
Australia - $1.42
Draw - $4.50
England - $7.25

Most Runs (Series):
Ricky Ponting - $4.25
Matthew Hayden - $6.00
Michael Hussey - $6.50
Justin Langer - $8.50
Kevin Pietersen - $10.00
Damien Martyn - $11.00
Andrew Strauss - $11.00
Michael Clarke - $17.00
Alastair Cook - $17.00
Ian Bell - $17.00
Adam Gilchrist - $21.00
Paul Collingwood - $26.00
Andrew Flintoff - $31.00
Ed Joyce - $31.00
Phil Jacques - $34.00
Andrew Symonds - $51.00
Shane Watson - $51.00
Geraint Jones - $101.00
Chris Read - $126.00

Most Wickets (Series):
Shane Warne - $2.35
Brett Lee - $4.50
Glenn McGrath - $6.50
Andrew Flintoff - $11.00
Stuart Clark - $13.00
Mitchell Johnson - $15.00
Steve Harmison - $11.00
Matthew Hoggard - $17.00
Monty Panesar - $17.00
Sajid Mahmood - $34.00
Shaun Tait - $34.00
Shane Watson - $51.00
James Anderson - $51.00
Ashley Giles - $51.00
Stuart MacGill - $51.00
Liam Plunkett - $67.00
Paul Collingwood - $151.00

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wes said:
We lost the first game of the last series. You guys still didn't win though. :D
I want to watch the match at the W.A.C.A.

Will easily be the defining point IMO if they have fixed up the pitch. Think Brett Lee will be taking wickets left, right and centre this Ashes.

Wes said:
We lost the first game of the last series. You guys still didn't win though. :D

I gave you's credit winning it last year, but honestly I can't see you guys winning a test this series. Not on our pitches and conditions. And not with Freddie skippin' the way he did on the first day (ie: poor field placements and using part time bowlers when Ponting was reaching his ton). Maybe in Melbourne (where you'll probably get your reverse swing) or Sydney... but we'd already have it wrapped up by then. :D

metdroid said:
tracky dacks :lol

Aye, respect the trackies! :p

Who says McGrath (6/50) was past his used by date? The Aussies are rapin' the shit out of the Poms! :D
But why Punter continues to bat instead of enforcing the follow on baffles me. Batting practice maybe? Still, they could've wrapped it up today.

snaildog

There's so much time, he may as well give McGrath a rest.

As a neutral NZer I probably won't bother watching if it's gonna me this one-sided, though of course this is how the last series started as well.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hey Aussies what's going on? I thought you were supposed to bowl us out within a day. Oh dear.... :D

Striek

_42363111_warnehappy203.jpg

And shes all over, 3/3. You poms never looked a chance...a rather embarrassing turn-around from a tough-won victory last series. :_)

Shinobi said:
This reply looks a bit silly now :p

!egg-on-face.gif

speedpop

I should be happy, but I'm not for some reason.

Suppose it's because last year it was probably one of the best test match series I've ever been able to watch - and I doubt anything will ever top it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well done Aussies, I like to assume you were just much better this year but i think the results show we were also a lot worse, and have been since Vaughan got injured.

Pachael

And I was about to go 'Hey guyz what's going on here?'

Hussey and Clark are gems, though a tad overshadowed by the aging gang :)

speedpop

Pachael said:
Hussey and Clark are gems, though a tad overshadowed by the aging gang :)
Most of the team are in their early 30's. There's a few of them that are knocking on the door at 35-36 and after Martyn's shock retirement, it might happen sooner than later.

It'll be interesting as to what happens to the Australian team as a whole when Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, Warne and McGrath retire from international duty. Langer I can see going first and Warne will most likely hit 700 wickets and leave it.

Shinobi

Striek said:
This reply looks a bit silly now :p

!egg-on-face.gif

Hardly...I found that reply legitimately funny. :lol Anyone with sense knew England was a massive underdog. That said our second test implosion was almost as shocking as the big lead we took to begin with. :lol

Mr Toast

Ghost said:
Well done Aussies, I like to assume you were just much better this year but i think the results show we were also a lot worse, and have been since Vaughan got injured.

Vaughan injured this year = McGrath injured last year.

Hopefully the next Ashes is with two full-strength sides, but I think Australia has the upcoming players that will help them retain it next time. :)

A legend is set to call it a day (after the Ashes). :(

Greatest spinner calls time

0,5001,5339747,00.jpg

SHANE Warne will today announce that he is quitting at the end of the Ashes series and wants to say farewell to his home crowd at a sold-out MCG for the next Test, beginning on Boxing Day.

Warne, 37, has confided to his teammates and friends that receiving a huge send-off at his beloved MCG, with record crowds of up to 100,000 expected for at least the first these days, is the ideal way to say goodbye.

He would then play his last Test at a sold-out Sydney Cricket Ground a week later.

This is also expected to be the last Test for 36-year-olds Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer.

They will be following the sudden retirement of Damien Martyn, 35, before the Perth Test, which ended this week with Australia claiming a 3-0 series lead to regain the Ashes so painfully lost in England last year....

speedpop

It'll be nice to see him get 700 wickets at the MCG before he bows out.

(me saying this last weekend to regulars at work)

heidern

Ah, shame, I was hoping he'd carry on and try to hit 800 wickets or more. As it is, well, looks like Monty will probably overtake his tally unless injuries get in the way. Well, maybe not. Here's to hoping though that they come up with some decent selectors next time around. It's bad enough for them to lose the ashes, but they literally gave it away what with picking the likes of Giles and decisions like having Pietersen bat at 5, when he really should have been higher up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom