• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II and Part I sales are climbing the charts

geary

joel-pouring-salt.gif
I dont know where the salt is coming from. The show till now is very good.

Varteras

Gold Member
Haven't watched it yet but I've seen a series of clips on Youtube. It looks like it has very high production values. Felt more like I was seeing clips for a movie than a TV show. Pedro seems to be nailing the role of Joel and Bella seems to have brought an even sassier Ellie.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

People say the game wasn't successful...

Well..
@17:20

Neil Druckmann

"I think the safe thing to do would have been to do another Joel and Ellie adventure. You try to turn the first game into a formula and try to recapture that feeling again, but I think that would have failed our process. What I try to replicate with the sequel was like: What's the process that made it successful? That's taking certain risks that's putting things out there that is not going to resonate with everyone, but might lead to interesting conversations. You know, we made something that the team really believed in and I'm extremely proud of and it was extremely successful.

Despite what other people that didn't like it would want it to be, it was successful
. And to me it reached a level of success that what I always strive for which is not maximum profits, it's enough to be able to do it again. As an artist you want to reach a certain amount of audience, you want it to stick with them so they're thinking about it past the point of finishing it. It's not just a frivolous thing and you're successful enough as a business to be able to grow and hire new people and do it again."

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That leaves you 5 days to binge Velma!

Is it good enough? Problem is OSN+ is like $9.5/mo.

Middle eastern service that combines many together (HBO+, Paramount+, etc). Might give it a shot but Netflix 4K and Bein Sport ($300/yr) to only watch Manchester United is already too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well deserved. My wife who is not a gamer is absolutely hooked and even has a few of her friends watching all who know nothing about the game.

Same. It was Game of Thrones all over again where at the beginning of the show my wife wasn’t interested, and by the end she loved it.
It’s expanded to our friends and coworkers who don’t play games.

I'm still not a big fan of what Neil did story wise with part 2. However, in terms of the quality of the TV show it's really good. It's a shame that you can't binge watch it from the 1st episode until the last one. Also I'm a big fan of the cold openings for both episodes 1 and 2.

Last edited:

People say the game wasn't successful...

Well..
@17:20

Neil Druckmann

Yeah we all know it was profitable in week one, im sure sony cares more about the prestige then selling an extra 2 million copies or whatever the internet would assume makes it more’ successful’

You can’t just buy a 90+ metacritic and awards despite what a lot of people on here think. Having games like uncharted and the last of us sells consoles, which in turn continue generating profit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Truly impressive how some scenarios of the second episode are almost identical to the game.
You know I was thinking about this. They straight up copied and pasted the story and everyone loved it. Other adaptations like Ass Creed either choose brand new characters and settings (Spain??) or come up with an entirely new story like the Halo show and Resident Evil.

Neil and Craig Mazin knew that peopled loved TLOU for its characters and setting. I was shocked to see the Mueseum level in the game when it wasnt even nearly as memorable as some of the other setpieces. It's amazing that they trusted the source material so much.

I can't believe how good it is.
it's so close to the game it feels like yet another remake lol
lmao. But thats exactly what we wanted right? Hope this convinces game developers to do MORE faithful adaptations of games. Give me a straight up copy pasta GOW and Horizon remakes in tv form. Thanks.

We are no longer in the 90s when game stories were trash. Hell, id say MGS1 changed that. Everyone says MGS1 is unfilmable but every character in that game is memorable. Just make a tv show or a movie around those bosses and side characters and you have a hit. Who cares if it feels comic bookish. Look at what Marvel is selling to their fanbase nowadays. They cast Zeus as a fat buffoon in the latest Thor movie.

Per HBO, the jump from the initial premiere viewership to Episode 2’s debut audience is the “largest week 2 audience growth for an HBO Original drama series in the history of the network.”

The only comparable HBO series in recent memory is “House of the Dragon,” the “Game of Thrones” sequel series that debuted in August of 2022. Both series have significantly outperformed the launch of both seasons of “Euphoria,” which became HBO’s second biggest series of all time after “Game of Thrones” during its second season in early 2022.

This just proves that almost everyone loved the first episode. I personally didnt care for it and was afraid the show would lose the audience going forward but im glad it clicked with everyone because the second episode was awesome and the story only gets better from here. People are in for a wild fucking ride. Glad to see them sticking around.

Last edited:
What was HBOs role in this? Did they fund it all and have their studios make it with Sony just being involved creatively and IP wise?

Last edited:

Del_X

I really hope Season 2 is... good. Like, they can hit the same story beats as much of the 2nd game but just don't make it shitty with little respect for the motivations of the first game.

I love that they're adding to the backstory.

kyliethicc

What was HBOs role in this? Did they fund it all and have their studios make it with Sony just being involved creatively and IP wise?
HBO greenlit the pitch from Mazin and Druckmann. HBO obviously funded it, at least partially. Sony Pictures are also involved. Probably finacially. PlayStation Productions are basically the IP handler. They handle and license the IP out.

Carolyn Strauss, who was an executive producer on Game of Thrones and Chernobyl, is an EP on the show. The other EPs are Druckmann and Mazin (showrunners), Asad Quizilbash and Carter Swan (PlayStation), Evan Wells (Naughty Dog), and Rose Lam (some TV producer). So chances are all parties are involved with providing creative notes and resources.

And there are no "HBO studios". No HBO internal crew or whatever. They just hire a crew to make the show, and then disband. Farm work out to various effects companies, etc.

Last edited:

EDMIX

See what happens when they actually respect the source material and not deep dives off into whatthefucksville!

1. Its a pretty set story.

2. Most cross media things that ended up being pretty bad, I've hardly attributed to "source material" as shit, Walking Dead went on to break a fuck ton of records going completely waaaay against the comics.

So....I don't think majority watching this shit give a fuck about the game, may not even know its based on a game and by the time this is all over.. MAJOIRTY will know this based on its show vs game. Thus, source martieral simply can't be why this show is this well recieved. Those watching likely never heard of the game and don't give a shit.

They simply like the show for what it is. Strong doubts on some "respect da source" emo feels on this one lol Its success is merely based on the overall quality of the show, not how much it does or doesn't mirror the game or something as I doubt most watching it care or even know what it is outside of the show itself. My older sister is watching it and had no clue it was based on a game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
- zombies - check
- end of the world - check
- great actors - check
- great producer - check
- HBO- check
- built in audience from popular game - check

Why is it a surprise to some that this is a big hit?

bitbydeath

1. Its a pretty set story.

2. Most cross media things that ended up being pretty bad, I've hardly attributed to "source material" as shit, Walking Dead went on to break a fuck ton of records going completely waaaay against the comics.

So....I don't think majority watching this shit give a fuck about the game, may not even know its based on a game and by the time this is all over.. MAJOIRTY will know this based on its show vs game. Thus, source martieral simply can't be why this show is this well recieved. Those watching likely never heard of the game and don't give a shit.

They simply like the show for what it is. Strong doubts on some "respect da source" emo feels on this one lol Its success is merely based on the overall quality of the show, not how much it does or doesn't mirror the game or something as I doubt most watching it care or even know what it is outside of the show itself. My older sister is watching it and had no clue it was based on a game.
Walking Dead followed the comics at a good 80% of the time, sure they added things here and there but it wasn’t like Uncharted or Dragon Ball where they think they know better and do something completely different.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah we all know it was profitable in week one, im sure sony cares more about the prestige then selling an extra 2 million copies or whatever the internet would assume makes it more’ successful’

You can’t just buy a 90+ metacritic and awards despite what a lot of people on here think. Having games like uncharted and the last of us sells consoles, which in turn continue generating profit.

It's just funny to hear him say, "Despite what other people that didn't like it would want it to be, it was successful." :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom