• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

Kinsei

Banned
hey, I just started last night (while the servers were down) so I was forced to play single player.

Single player seems identical to multiplayer, except that, you know, you control the doppels and it's super boring.

My question is this: Do you get anything special for completing single player or is it only for people who CAN'T play multiplayer? Is there a seperate progress tracking (Checkmarks on stages completed type thing) for solo?

If I can avoid SP to 100% I will.

Single player and multiplayer is tracked separately. In order to 100% the game you need to beat every level and challenge in both multiplayer and single player.

georly

There is separate progress tracking. In the lobby, check the board on the left side. On the bottom screen there are buttons that say "singleplayer" and "multiplayer" hold your finger on one of them to see the stats for only single or multi. The default view is combined stats.

SP isn't boring once you realize you'll need to play some levels completely differently by managing all three characters alone. Changes some things dramatically.

Single player and multiplayer is tracked separately. In order to 100% the game you need to beat every level and challenge in both multiplayer and single player.

Thank you for confirming my nightmares :)

Any separate reward for single player?

octopiggy

Any Europeans want to team up? I should be on for the next 3 hours or so. I'm only up to World 5 but I'm happy to play through anything.

FC: 3668-7381-6669

Kinsei

Banned
I'm not clear what this means. Is there some reward if you do SP first?

There's a reward when you beat all of the challenges in a world for the first time. You only get it once though so if you so multiplayer first you won't get it again after doing them in single player.

Jackano

Just played single player for the first time, gods that's tidious. I did the stamina/2 challenge so it's even worse. Half the time you're waiting the stamina to refill. Anyway I don't like that kind of challenges. Would have been OK if there was only one challenge per level, choosen wisely in regards of the gameplay mechanics in that said level. It's not and it's artificial replay "value".

The major flaw here, and what makes TFH a major step behind Four Swords Adventures, is that you don't have your guys following you. Come on the 3DS have enough buttons. Even the GBA did it when playing FSA with one!
I'm talking about a button who split your group and recall all your guys at once for them to follow if you neve rplayed FSA (you should btw).
I don't understand why this feature isn't here.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna bother fucking with single player. It's nice that they included it in case you need a fix and there's no internet or whatever.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, after hours of doing the format 3DS / download play thing, I just got the 15th friend token. (15 is the limit.)

Spoiler for what happens. (It's not important in any way, but I'm spoilering it just in case.)
The kid says he has no more friend tokens. He's realised that playing games with friends to earn tokens is kinda childish tbh, and friendship is what's important. Even though he has no more friendship tokens to give, he considers you to be a "mate". After that, if you play with another friend, he just compliments you on your hair.

So, yeah, basically it is completely underwhelming and not worth the time involved. I just hope there will be another outfit where i can put my remaining 7 tokens to use.

octopiggy

Hoy shit. Progress has been slow today.
Connection errors, unplayable lag, people quitting, playing levels that I have nothing to gain from playing only for the same player to pick the same level again next or quit once they've got what they want.
This game is going take an eternity to complete.

Zero_IYAD

Damn it!
Spent the last 2 hours trying to get a Chill Stone with random players.
The 'transfer the orb within time limit' challenge gives 2 out of the 3 chests.
People either suck bad & can't even complete the challenge, or we end up winning & I always get the god damn rose T_T
GAFers, need help later tonight.

Chase, & any 3rd player who'd like to join in, let's go complete the rest of the challengers around 6-7 EST.
I'll write back once I'm done with work.

Jackano

Hoy shit. Progress has been slow today.
Connection errors, unplayable lag, people quitting, playing levels that I have nothing to gain from playing only for the same player to pick the same level again next or quit once they've got what they want.
This game is going take an eternity to complete.

I can relate to this. You listed 3 or 4 other problems I wanted to talk about in my initial impressions.

Haines

Banned
Download Play allows you you play the whole thing. =D

The catch is that the download players can only purchase 2 Outfits. The materials are saved however, and can be transferred to the game if they buy it from the eShop.

OK so if we can play the entire thing I'm probably sold. Local 3 player Zelda that makes use of me having 3 systems sounds great.

I don't really know how the game works so I don't really know how much of a limit buying 2 outfits is?

Zero_IYAD

a Question regarding Friendly Coins..
Can I repeat clearing levels with the same 2 friends until I collect all 8 coins needed for the 2 exclusive outfits?
Or is it 8 different friends/3DS devices.
OK so if we can play the entire thing I'm probably sold. Local 3 player Zelda that makes use of me having 3 systems sounds great.

I don't really know how the game works so I don't really know how much of a limit buying 2 outfits is?
It'll be difficult, but you can finish the story at least.
Some outfits make certain stages very easy to clear.

XaosWolf

The outfits allow you to have a special ability such as bigger bombs, not slipping on ice, fire/lava immunity, etc.

They're not necessary to beat any of the levels, but they make things more efficient.
The Host can use these costumes though so at least someone has them to help the others. (Such as picking the others up with the ice traction outfit so you can help them across tricky areas)

llaannccee

The outfits allow you to have a special ability such as bigger bombs, not slipping on ice, fire/lava immunity, etc.

They're not necessary to beat any of the levels, but they make things more efficient.
The Host can use these costumes though so at least someone has them to help the others. (Such as picking the others up with the ice traction outfit so you can help them across tricky areas)

Up for doing the last two levels tonight?

RedColumn

AHHHGGGGGGG I start hating this game so much!!!!!!!!!!

I actually used to love the game. The fact that doesnt have voice chat it can be annoying but also really fun to see how the people comunicate with the icons and pointing with the sword to tell you what to do :p. Its kind of a hieroglyph to try to guess what the other person that already play that level is trying to tell you. But once you get a good team that understand each other is great............ until the error conection comes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been disconnected before but now is behond frustating. After a long time try to beat the final boss, where the stars align toguether to give me great team and everything is fun: 5 hearts less, and we just, what I imaging, have to hit one more to finish. The sword of my teamate ready to hit.... and: ERROR DISCONNECT... NOOOOO!!!

But the error disconnect problems I can more or less understand.... what I dont get is why there is no way to go back to this amyzing team that I found out of nowhere.Im sure they want it too! It doesnt return or let you the options to try to search for your unkown team... the 3ds doesnt even let you search with who you have played!

Im almost giving up the last boss... its getting really frustating the way this treat multiplayer with others :(

Is a EU is in the same position and want to finish just the boss let me know :(

EDIT: the last world is really frustating all of the dungeons.... its really hard to make the people understand what to do :( I likly with my golden team that I will never see again was able to do the two I was missing... just the boss now...

Up for doing the last two levels tonight?

You are EU too right? let me know when you want to do the last level :)

llaannccee

AHHHGGGGGGG I start hating this game so much!!!!!!!!!!

I actually used to love the game. The fact that doesnt have voice chat it can be annoying but also really fun to see how the people comunicate with the icons and pointing with the sword to tell you what to do :p. Its kind of a hieroglyph to try to guess what the other person that already play that level is trying to tell you. But once you get a good team that understand each other is great............ until the error conection comes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been disconnected before but now is behond frustating. After a long time try to beat the final boss, where the stars align toguether to give me great team and everything is fun: 5 hearts less, and we just, what I imaging, have to hit one more to finish. The sword of my teamate ready to hit.... and: ERROR DISCONNECT... NOOOOO!!!

But the error disconnect problems I can more or less understand.... what I dont get is why there is no way to go back to this amyzing team that I found out of nowhere.Im sure they want it too! It doesnt return or let you the options to try to search for your unkown team... the 3ds doesnt even let you search with who you have played!

Im almost giving up the last boss... its getting really frustating the way this treat multiplayer with others :(

Is a EU is in the same position and want to finish just the boss let me know :(

EDIT: the last world is really frustating all of the dungeons.... its really hard to make the people understand what to do :( I likly with my golden team that I will never see again was able to do the two I was missing... just the boss now...

You are EU too right? let me know when you want to do the last level :)
Yep EU will play right now if you do the last two levels. Friend code 0087-2312-3800. Will be playing all night till 10pm.

TheMoon

a Question regarding Friendly Coins..
Can I repeat clearing levels with the same 2 friends until I collect all 8 coins needed for the 2 exclusive outfits?
Or is it 8 different friends/3DS devices.

It'll be difficult, but you can finish the story at least.
Some outfits make certain stages very easy to clear.

->>>

I have 3 3DS systems, so I did download play and played through the first dungeon by myself, reformatted 1 system, played through the first dungeon again, and got enough tokens to make the blocky retro costume. I don't think I'll keep doing that to get 15 tokens, though.

I just did this 8 times. Talk about time consuming! I have a feeling that you'll need 16 tokens, because there seems to be a subplot about having more friends than the kid. (I'm assuming there's another 2 outfits, requiring 3 and 5 tokens each.)

The 8-bit outfit makes the music all chiptuney and the wonderful 101 outfit has no effect whatsoever. The game seems to indicate that something happens if 3 people wear it, but there's no chance of me ever experiencing that - they're not essential content by any means.

Also, it still counts enough for a token if you enter a dungeon then immediately quit.

Top Bottom