• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Spider-Man® 2 THREAD. REVIEWS. ALL SPIDEY-RELATED EVENTS. EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Willco said:
How can you exclude Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina, both of them renown for their acting abilities and moreso, they are not mainstream actors.

Also, Raimi > Donner.

I don't know who Molina is. And this is no knock on Spiderman 2 not calling it the greatest comic book movie of all time, I will defintely watch it and I fully it expect it to be better then the first movie (which was entertaining but had some annoying flaws in it). The first Superman movie was so perfect, go watch it again because you simply forgot how good it was. I can only hope that Spidey 2 is as good or better.

Oh yeah, I hated Dunst in the first movie, I hope she is less annoying in this one. And this is cold, but I wouldn't mind seeing his granny (or aunt?) die in this movie, she is also pretty annoying.

Willco

Hollywood Square
bionic77 said:
I don't know who Molina is. And this is no knock on Spiderman 2 not calling it the greatest comic book movie of all time, I will defintely watch it and I fully it expect it to be better then the first movie (which was entertaining but had some annoying flaws in it). The first Superman movie was so perfect, go watch it again because you simply forgot how good it was. I can only hope that Spidey 2 is as good or better.

Oh yeah, I hated Dunst in the first movie, I hope she is less annoying in this one. And this is cold, but I wouldn't mind seeing his granny (or aunt?) die in this movie, she is also pretty annoying.

Superman is far from perfect. It's arguably the best comic book adaptation, but there are so few good ones that such praise shouldn't be taken in too high of regard.

Superman even has flaws. It doesn't have the most faithful version of Lex Luthor caught on screen and even reduced him to a comic relief bit in most parts. Not only that, the ending is just cheese factor to the max, moreso than the hated New York 9/11 bit from Spider-Man. Spinning the Earth? Please.

evil ways

And Superman,(the original) was quite boring. It's a slow, boring movie that I only cared for whenever Superman was onscreen in full costume. Now Superman II, and III, that's another story, those two rule. Not only did we get to kneel before Zod, but we saw an evil, drunken, womanizing Superman, complete with 5 o'clock shadow.

Back to Spiderman, I got a free Spiderman 2 poster last night from Gamestop, since I had a spare $11 credit, I preordered Spiderman 2 The Game and got the poster. I thought it was gonna be one of those small, folded in half sheets, but no, it's huge, and glossy, plus it smells like Marvel Masterpiece trading cards. I think it's a lot bigger than the actual movie theater posters, and a bit thicker.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
And Superman,(the original) was quite boring. It's a slow, boring movie that I only cared for whenever Superman was onscreen in full costume. Now Superman II, and III, that's another story, those two rule. Not only did we get to kneel before Zod, but we saw an evil, drunken, womanizing Superman, complete with 5 o'clock shadow.

Back to Spiderman, I got a free Spiderman 2 poster last night from Gamestop, since I had a spare $11 credit, I preordered Spiderman 2 The Game and got the poster. I thought it was gonna be one of those small, folded in half sheets, but no, it's huge, and glossy, plus it smells like Marvel Masterpiece trading cards. I think it's a lot bigger than the actual movie theater posters, and a bit thicker.

Awesome. I bought the Spider-Man 2 teaser poster, the one with Doc Ock on the cover, a week ago for $1.98 from AllPosters. Spider-Man is so hot right now.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Kabuki Waq said:
I hope Raimi doesnt stick in a cheesy NY pride scene again.

That wasn't Raimi's doing. That was the script. And that was written before 9/11. Now the ending with Spidey jumping on the pole of the American flag, that was Raimi's doing in a post-9/11 world.

I heard the BC cameo in this one rocks.

Doesn't it always?

Willco

Hollywood Square
My Spidey-sense is tingling! We've got some news and - obviously! - SuperHeroHype! has seen Spider-Man 2...

Spider-Man 2 Rocks!! Oh, and New Updates Too...
Source: Superhero Hype! Thursday, June 24, 2004

The Superhero Hype! crew got a chance to catch Spider-Man 2 this morning and... it's a masterpiece! We'll have a full review up shortly, but some quick thoughts are that the story is excellent, the special effects are incredible, the acting is superb, there is a nice balance between unbelievable action, comedy, and drama, and it's 127 minutes long. The movie also sets up the third film very nicely! Congrats to Sam, the cast, the entire crew, and Sony for creating the best film of the year.

Also, for some quick updates. 'JohnDoe' pointed us to Rainmakers who are going to auction off props and wardrobes from Spider-Man 2 on eBay. They have previously sold lots of props and screenworn wardrobes form Hellboy. Currently they are auctioning off items from "50 First Dates".

'Raoul_Duke' and 'Chris A' also reminded us that the "Spider-Man 2: HBO First Look" premieres tonight at 10:45pm Eastern time.

Definitely going to check the HBO special out.

This is gonna be like Xmen.

While the first was a little slow due to introducing us to the characters, the Sequel is gonna go @ warp Speed !

Can't Fucking Wait !

evil ways

Damn, anybody catch the new tv spot on Cartoon Network? They showed Spiderman.....

crawling over a giant net like web in what looks like the middle of the street. It reminded me of the old 60's cartoon where Spidey shoots a web from one side of the street to another and creates a net to stop a car full of bank robbers.

Also showed the Hal Sparks cameo, and Peter Parker looking like a total dork with a bike helmet on chatting with some kids.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
Damn, anybody catch the new tv spot on Cartoon Network? They showed Spiderman.....

crawling over a giant net like web in what looks like the middle of the street. It reminded me of the old 60's cartoon where Spidey shoots a web from one side of the street to another and creates a net to stop a car full of bank robbers.

Also showed the Hal Sparks cameo, and Peter Parker looking like a total dork with a bike helmet on chatting with some kids.

Go Hal Sparks!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Here's the full SuperHeroHype! Review, which seems kind of fanboyish, but continues to add another raving review...

SHH! REVIEWS SPIDER-MAN 2!!
Source: Superhero Hype!
Friday, June 25, 2004

by Chris "Excelsior" Mason

I tried my best to not include spoilers, but I failed. Read on at your own risk.

I looked up WOW in the dictionary and there was an ad for Spider-Man 2! Wow is the best word I can use to describe Spidey 2… In 2002 after almost two years of 'hype' and rumors here at SHH!, organic/mechanical web-shooters, power ranger goblin, all of it… I was still blown away by the first film - it was everything we expected. Now here we are again two years later and a whole bunch of rumors nearly behind us. Spider-Man 2 is set to open and will no doubt set all new box office records. Now, not every blockbuster film can have its sequel out-shine its predecessor! Spider-Man 2 does just that! I saw the film with a packed house in Westwood… there was a definite buzz in the air, as I overheard stories of what people's expectations were for this one and how much they loved the first film.

Working on SHH!, I've heard all the rumors, and I've tried to stay away from what I know… in some cases trying to forget what I know… once the lights went down and the curtains opened my mind was a blank slate. The now familiar Danny Elfman opening credit cues start up, the Marvel logo flips on screen as we go into a series of Alex Ross painted pieces that retell the story of the first film in a stylized comic form. I got little goose bumps; I was back in that theater two years ago about to see a Spider-Man movie…

The FILM.
In the two years that Peter has been Spidey his life has taken a nose dive, he can't hold a job, his grades in school are suffering, his true love is engaged to another guy, his best friend wants Spidey's head on a platter, JJJ is not interested in pictures of squirrels and poor Aunt May is loosing the house. With everything that's going on in Peter's life, and as much as he loves and wants to be Spider-Man he's haunted by the life he could have had. Now this film could have just picked up where the first one left off, and had Spidey doing Spidey-stuff saving people and fighting any number of the Spider-rogues gallery, and this sequel does open with some great Spidey STUFF - Spider-Man delivering pizza is just too funny! To Sam Raimi's credit the film instead goes quickly and wisely deep into the characters, the characters ARE the story here, not the effects. Although this time around the special effects are much better and fluid - in the end it's the characters that make the stunning effects work so well. Without character there are no effects.

Enter DOC OCK.
Those that were more than a little disappointed in the Green Goblin can breathe easy because Ock in his full glory is one cool menacing villain, what would a superhero film be without a colorful baddy? Alfred Molina ends up stealing the show as Doctor Octavius, Doc Ock. His character is mean & nasty and yet you feel a certain sympathy toward him, you feel for him and knowing this makes his motivation worthwhile… even if he is throwing people from a speeding train. Doctor Octavius has invented a fusion device that could solve the world's energy problems. In his few important scenes in the early part of the film before the spectacular lab accident that fuses the articulated tentacles to his body, Molina fills Octavius with heart and passion. In a dinner scene between Peter, Octavius and his wife, we learn all about the good doctor's back-story. It's brief but very important. It's a way to get to know the man before we see the monster. Where the Green Goblin was the evil reflection of Spider-Man, Doc Ock is in a way the symbiotic twin to Peter & Spidey - both saddled with a gift and a curse filled with that need to do what they feel is right. And that is what makes Doc Ock such a great character in this film; his ultimate redemption brings him and Spider-Man full circle by the film's close

Exit SPIDER-MAN.
Peter Parker by the middle of the film has reached the final straw with his alter ego, not to mention coping with a nasty case of the spider-flu, which has hampered his ability as a superhero and filled him with self-doubt. Peter tosses his hero ways in the trash. Here a great visual tribute to John Romita, a pivotal image from the comics is brought to life. The sight of the Spidey costume in the trash can as the words "Spider-Man no more" echo as Peter walks away a free man down a stormy alley, literally walking away from his responsibility as a "hero". Peter is repeatedly tested, asking himself, has he made the right choice? Tobey Maguire as Parker really shows the wear & tear and the torture that life as both Peter Parker & Spider-Man has put him through. Spider-Man 2 proves once and for all that Maguire was the perfect choice to play Peter Parker and the wall crawler.

The balance of the characters and the requirements of a film of this nature (fast-paced-action-packed-summer-blockbuster), are near perfect, just the right blend. This wouldn't be a Sam Raimi film without humor. One particular scene involving Spidey in an elevator is a stand out… and brings out the geek in all of us who have ever walked around uncomfortably in a costume in front of normal folks. Raimi is one of those directors that has a certain "style" - mention Sam Raimi and more often than not you hear EVIL DEAD. Spider-Man 2 (as well as the first film) are no doubt Raimi films, but the director has put his style in the backseat for this franchise, instead focusing on letting the stories of our favorite neighborhood Spider-Man take front stage. Not every director is confident enough o do that. Which in my book makes a SAM RAIMI film a must see.

The special effects this time around are amazing. The seamless interaction between live action actors & CGI stunt-doubles is nearly flawless. The clock tower & train fights are some of the best superhero fight sequences ever put on film. Both actors and stunt men poured all into this film and it shows and they should be commended. To quote Ray Lykins: (Alfred Molina's OCK stunt double) "For seven weeks we rehearsed the train fight, every move, every step, to the point of where I couldn't lift my arms anymore". The fights between Ock & Spidey make the battle between Spidey & Green Goblin seem like a warm up round. They are truly a ballet of fists, claws and webs… Not to mention the sound of Ock approaching, it's enough to give you the heebie-jeebies!

Mary Jane is as beautiful as ever, and we never tire of seeing her in some sort of peril - or wet! Harry on the other hand, as much as he wants to be nothing like his father Norman, he has become his father, picking up the reins of OSCORP. The film ends with as many answered questions as unanswered ones. Is Doc Ock dead? What does Harry find behind that hidden mirror? Does MJ get married? Does Peter save Aunt May's house? And was that Stan Lee again saving another kid from fall debris? The film certainly leaves many things open for Spider-Man 3.

I for one will be seeing this film again and again. And rest assured The Hype! will be there every step of the way as the seeds of Spidey 3 begin to take root!

Willco

Hollywood Square
FOX just posted their review as well. Another rave.

'Spider-Man 2': The Summer's Big Hit Is Here
Friday, June 25, 2004
By Roger Friedman

The Summer's Big Hit Is Here | Barbara Bush's Memoirs | O'Reilly's Parade Factor

'Spider-Man 2': The Summer's Big Hit Is Here

How good is the new "Spider-Man" sequel?

I think we got the idea last night when Tobey Maguire, playing Spider-Man's alter ego Peter Parker, asked his aunt, "What happened to all my comic books?"

Her reply, the universal one from almost every parent on the planet: "Why, I threw them out."

The audience at the big New York screening of Columbia's summer blockbuster just howled with laughter. It's just one of the moments that cinches "Spider-Man 2" as the second sequel (after the new "Harry Potter") that will exceed the success of its predecessor.

A big part of this "Spider-Man" triumph has to be the script, which was written by legendary screenwriter Alvin Sargent.

The man who translated "Ordinary People," "Julia," "Nuts," "White Palace" to the cinema is also known as a Hollywood script doctor, iconoclast, and husband of "Spider-Man" producer Laura Ziskin. He's the credit writer, with Alfred Gouh, Miles Millar, and novelist Michael Chabon sharing "story by" credits.

Together this gang is responsible for a "Spider-Man" that is witty, dark, character-driven, funny and involving. There is a long stretch in this film, for example, in which Parker questions himself and loses access to his superhuman qualities.

But the movie never loses interest or sags for very long as the crisp dialogue and Sam Raimi's sharp editing keeps every ball in the air. Unlike the direction of McG in "Charlie's Angels," this real-life comic book doesn't give you whiplash or an MTV hangover. The pace is what they used to call "clever."

There's a set-up for the third (and, we can always hope, last) installment of this "Spider-Man" series that actually leaves you hoping to see the finale.

In the meantime, you will enjoy the laconic Maguire as Peter, the gorgeous Kirsten Dunst as plucky heroine Mary Jane, Alfred Molina as Spider-Man's bizarre octopus-tentacled enemy, handsome James Franco as Peter's conflicted, vengeful best pal and Rosemary Harris as sweet Aunt May. If only she'd kept those comic books!

The scene-stealer, though, is J.K. Simmons, who was so menacing in the HBO series "Oz," and continues to be the unlikely comic foil as Peter's tough-talking newspaper editor.

"Spider-Man 2" opens next Wednesday, with Disney's "King Arthur" hot on its heels. Even if the latter is better than its advance buzz, the whole thing is unfortunate timing indeed.

"Spider-Man 2" is really the perfect example of a big-budget motion picture in which studio executives minimally meddled and left the creative side to the experts. If only every promised blockbuster was like "Spider-Man 2" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"!

Manders

Banned
Woah. Bruce Campbell is in Spider-Man 2? Is he playing the same character as in the first one? I fuckin love that guy.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Manders said:
Woah. Bruce Campbell is in Spider-Man 2? Is he playing the same character as in the first one? I fuckin love that guy.

No. He has a different cameo. Everyone says it's one of the funniest moments in the movie.

evil ways

I saw the VH1 special last night, it was pretty good, especially the Bruce Campbell bit and Raimi responding to it. I was just hoping to hear one of them say something about Evil Dead 4.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
I saw the VH1 special last night, it was pretty good, especially the Bruce Campbell bit and Raimi responding to it. I was just hoping to hear one of them say something about Evil Dead 4.

Well, the May 2007 release date for Spider-Man 3 gives Raimi time to do one small film. Don't know if he'll do something or continue to produce horror flicks with Robert Tapert using that new production company they setup. Y'know, the one doing The Grudge remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Avi Arad on Spider-Man 2...

INTERVIEW: Avi Arad Talks Spider-Man 2!
Source: Chuck the Movieguy
Friday, June 25, 2004

He's the President and CEO of Marvel Studios and the main man responsible for bringing Marvel Comics' characters to life on the big screen... and he "couldn't be more comfortable" with the work of Spider-Man 2. He is Avi Arad. "This movie shows clearly that we can tell the stories endlessly. We have great emotional stories to tell, we have the growth, and we manage to especially in the Spider-Man books, the villains are connected to Peter. It's really easy to tell the stories, therefore, we feel very comfortable moving into the future." Good news for us Spidey fans.

As Spidey fans, we know about the characters. But, Avi Arad does not take that for granted. "In order to make a good picture, you have to assume no one knows Doc Ock or Goblin, or any of these guys. You have to give a little bit of a backstory, connect it into the story emotionally and make it interesting. Then it really doesn't matter if anybody knew about it. They all know Spider-Man, they all know Peter Parker, they all know that Sam is in the business of building Peter Parker up and giving him interesting villains, and at the end of this movie they will know these villains. So we don't have an issue with that."

The first movie was a success. Discussions for Spider-Man 2 started up right after the movie came out. "Being the first 'Spider-Man' movie then, it's almost superstition. You don't want to go on until you know what you have. We basically at the end of movie one had a pretty good feeling about the next story. Because after the origin story where we felt that audiences will be interested in what happens to all of them. We heard about their dreams and aspirations we saw Peter being bitten and destiny put him in a place. He sort of agrees to carry the mantle, but then we know that there was a great story, and how do you handle that? They all graduated, did Mary Jane get her dreams? I think Aunt May being a widow was really very interesting for us to deal with to show her strength. Harry losing his father and knowing that his number one enemy is Spider-Man, who happens to be his best friend. So there were so many complex emotional issues that we felt we needed to deal with, and personal growth. Everybody moves on, and Peter Parker being Spider-Man has the toughest time to achieve the normal goals. Hence, we got to Spidey no more. The vision, the direction for what we wanted to do with him in this movie, and everybody around him, was pretty clear from the unanswered questions in movie one. Therefore, as you walk out of this movie, again, you can start writing down all the issues that will be interesting to deal with in the next installment. We never planned it as a 3, 4 chapter story. Obviously the first one was the origin. Getting the voice of the characters, it was so successful that after that, again, story one gave birth to what ideas would be interesting. Where do we wanna see Mary Jane in the future? How is Peter going to deal with this touch decision he made? When you get all of these movies, there are really interesting opportunities for Peter and Mary Jane. Thought of the happy ending, if you will, but Marvel, there's never a happy ending. So we make sure we take care of that in the next movie."

Being Avi Arad and appreciating his experience, we wanted to know if he could sense what works and doesn't work when adapting comics to the big screen. He answered, "Yeah. I think I started to understand better what doesn't work. What does work is be courageous, and again, I cannot tell you how much credit I give Sony for letting Sam and us make a highly emotional movie, with a hero speech, with the kind of things - in all fairness to Hollywood - they'll be so afraid to touch. 'Oh, too emotional, too this, too that.' So the one thing that worked for us and the books for 45 years is that the marvel stories are about emotions. The heroes have their faults, they cannot really enjoy the fruits of their fame, if you will, on the contrary, fame is what makes them technically fugitives. So as long as we stick to emotion, emotion, emotion, get deeper and deeper into the character. Test it. There are a lot of heroes for the minute, and it happens to policeman, military, fireman; then you go on with life. You go to the movies, watch baseball. Here is a guy that is doing it all the time. The only way to keep it honest is to test character. So the thing that we have to continue doing is more emotion, action has to be to the point. Can't be just an action scene because we think that what the kids want to see. Everyone's learning a pretty hard lesson over the last few years, you just can not do that. So it's making our life easier when a studio embraces a vision. Sam is interested in the character. He knows the action, of course. But he's interested in the character. As more studios will embrace this idea, everybody will be more successful."

Emotion seems to be the heart of Sam and his team's vision for Spider-Man. So, as far as Peter Parker goes, we wondered if this is as 'low' as his character gets. "Peter will get as low as we'll take him. It's the writer's prerogative to take him. We think this is as low, actually, this is not really a tragic moment. Being a hero is a complicated commitment. We didn't look at it as a low moment. We looked at it as something that an audience would like to understand, "Why is he doing it? How can he do it? How long will he stay with it? Don't take it for granted." So it's more about showing how does one go through a process and actually that leads to the best moment where he realizes it. When you are being given a gift. Listen, Peter could've been the best cat-burglar in history, had a nice penthouse, a great life, but that's what makes this kid so different. So it was a tough moment versus a low moment. Low moment was losing Uncle Ben, and that's what defined his life forever."

We can't forget the real creator of Spider-Man…Stan Lee. Avi Arad comments on Stan Lee's contributions to this Spidey web of production. "To begin with, he created the character. If you meet Stan Lee, Stan Lee now is older, but he's still a Peter Parker. It's such a copy of Stan it's ridiculous. Talking to him yesterday it's like, hello, nothing changed. So he's spirit, and he's writing. He wrote the books for a long, long time and these are the stories that endured. We have a writer, Brian Bendis, who came in and did 'Ultimate Spider Man,' and basically went back to Stan. Changed fashions, hair and what we're interested in in today's world. So Stan is in every page here, he read the scripts. We talk all the time. He loves Sam. He trusts Laura and myself, and he's there. If we need him, we call him, we ask questions, would he do that, would he not, is it controversial. It's his stories that we are telling."

Visual effects. Gotta have 'em. It sounds like we're going to be real lucky with the quality of the visual effects according to Avi. "At the end of the movie, we had a meeting and basically the meeting was, 'Okay, we are moving forward. Going to the future. What are the goals? What do you wanna do better in the second movie?' And if you remember the final shot in 'Spider-Man,' around the flag, it was probably the best CG section of the movie because it was the one we started first and finished last. And we set up a goal that all the shots in this movie should be as good as the last shot in the first movie. We were able to - SBI did an incredible job in - this movie, you saw the scope. This is not a two-year movie. This should've been a three-year movie. They did an incredible job with it. One of the goals we said to ourselves were we really wanted to accentuate new moves by Spider Man showing strength. The classic things, how much he can lift, and so on and so forth. We wanted to get into that. We wanted to get into vertigo, which, again, we couldn't cover everything in movie one. In this movie, there was a lot of vertigo. You see him looking down and you kind of feel the fear. As far as - the train scene, that's breaking many, many grounds. Most interesting was a combination of CG and physical, and puppeteering. Just finding puppeteers is a diminishing art - to do Doc Ock properly. So it was really very challenging and great."

Now let's talk villains. Has Avi ever come across the adaptation of a villain that just wouldn't seem to work on the big screen? "So far so good. But again, when you go out to find a villain, especially for Spider-Man, the key has to be he's connected to Peter Parker, or to Spider-Man, preferably to both. So far both movies took advantage of it. I think that will always be the golden rule. We don't have villains. If you look at the Marvel Universe, these are people who run into ordinary circumstances and they made a left instead of a right. There's not this predominant evil people who get up in the morning and say I'm going to conquer the world. We don't play with these guys. We play with guys that something happened to them, an accident, mutation, something very personal. And out of it, they change and they become the villain if you will. But they have to be connected to the story. They cannot be an outsider."

So, according to Avi Arad, it's usually a director's prerogative of how scary the villains can get. "When Sam came on this movie five years ago, it was very clear that there is something really distant and good about him and his love for Peter Parker and Spider-Man. That was his childhood hero. So when you have a guy like that at the helm, you have to put your trust in him. And I have to say, we've been together five years and there's never been an issue, which is pretty common in filmmaking of saying, 'Don't go there because it's bad for the character. Don't go there because it's not right for Peter Parker.' He has an incredible responsibility. There's a lot of Peter in him. He feels really responsible for this character, so he's more careful than any of us."

Sam Raimi, director of Spider-Man 2, picked the train scene as one of the most challenging scenes to film. We wondered why Chicago and not New York. "Tricks of the trade. Chicago has a train above ground. The only place you have a train above ground in New York is, you have an area in Queens where it comes out and goes over and there's nothing around - there's tressels, right? Open. No buildings. So it wouldn't have made the most interesting situation, so we connected Chicago into New York and it was a 10-day, cold, and it worked great."

We asked Sam Raimi to compare Peter Parker/Spider-Man as a hero in today's world. As far as relating to Avi Arad, a new American citizen, what is American about Spider-Man and Marvel Comics? "Well I think first, Marvel Comics is a uniquely American form of art. Now comics are very big in Japan, but for here it was a way - something started in 1939 and comics always, they were sort of the Greek theater of society. They reflected our fears, our angst. If you look at radioactive spider, gamma ray, Hulk, Captain America fighting the Germans, it was basically taking the news and creating a hero to answer our issues. It's about, to me, Peter Parker, actually when I first lived here, I lived in Queens, so I totally got it. I started reading Spider-Man in Hebrew, and I didn't feel like it was different than the life that we had. So one of the things about this kid is that there are kids like that everywhere, in every culture, in different times in countries that are just starting to get to where Peter parker was in the '60s. It's the same aspirations. And kids like him are all over the world. To me, that was relatable, being in another culture and not even knowing what this place looked like. Because the character was the same. Believe me, kids that read comics where I come from were more like Peter Parker. You wouldn't carry it in the open or you would get beaten up."

Pattergen

All these god damn reviews praising this film to high heaven is pissing me off. Now I really need to see this fucking movie and see it now. Five days is way too long now. Everything screams awesome. This might replace my third fav Raimi movie (the first sp, of course, knocking A Simple Plan to #5).

Willco

Hollywood Square
Pattergen said:
All these god damn reviews praising this film to high heaven is pissing me off. Now I really need to see this fucking movie and see it now. Five days is way too long now. Everything screams awesome. This might replace my third fav Raimi movie (the first sp, of course, knocking A Simple Plan to #5).

It's 100% FRESH on RottenTomatoes, too!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Here's the first non-raving review of Spider-Man 2! Although, it's still not negative!

"Spiderman 2"

What happens to a superhero when he's seized by self-doubt? In the case of Spidey (Tobey Maguire), our beloved web-crawler-nerd, the psychological affliction turns him into a wussy, inept bumbler when he's Peter Parker and limits his powers when he's Spiderman. Pretty much of a letdown -- one that doesn't do much to keep the franchise propped up. But, lest you think it's a flop, let's say all's well that ends well.

Parker, of course, is leading a double life, but one affects the other. When it comes to a choice between gravity-defying crime busting or his love for Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), well, he can't very well let the criminals take over the city. And, he can't put Mary Jane's life at risk by telling her who he really is and make her vulnerable to his enemies. True love means sacrifice.

It's a case for a super psychiatrist, but superheroes don't exactly have a special yellow pages in which to find one.

The creators of this character have set him apart from other action heroes exactly with this duality, insisting on a level of vulnerability that affords him true suffering. He may be a super hero but he's no super human. People step on him, insult him, disrespect him and take advantage of him. When he's simple Peter trying to make ends meet he comes up against impossible job demands; when he's trying to maintain his studies in class they're compromised by the exhaustion of an overloaded crime-stopping schedule.

To craft a menace that's a match for Spidey's powers, director Sam Raimi and his team of writers (Michael Chabon, Alfred Gough, Miles Millar and Alvin Sargent) create the physicist, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) on whom student Peter is doing a paper for his physics class. After a little theoretical banter with Peter that's above most of our heads but adequate to impress, the doc unveils his new machine that harnesses self-sustaining fusion to extend man's power. But, when it goes wrong it takes over the doc's mind and purpose, turning him into the nasty Dr. Ock, and gives him the ability to walk up tall buildings and spread his metallic tentacled weight around. We're not too clear on what his ultimate intention is but we're certain it's not altruistic and he seems a worthy combatant for the web walker.

While there are abundant action scenes that exhilarate the spatial senses and obviously kept the CGI team harnessed to their workstations, the emotional weight that Peter bears threatens to become a soap opera. I had trouble with the overkill in emphasizing his angst and his oafish lack of coordination when he's not wearing his suit. He trips, falls to the ground and Raimi has people stepping on him, swiping him, splashing him, whatever he can think of to belittle and demean and make him appear graceless. Where one incident would have conveyed the message, we get ten. The exaggeration is the weak element of an otherwise stylish sequel.

Just as Peter should have trusted the talented and intelligent Mary Jane to make her own decisions, Raimi might have trusted us with a more sophisticated approach to this romance. She keeps asking him in a variety of ways if he feels about her the same way she feels about him and he's a study in vacant non-commital and Freudian denial. More originality might have been exacted within a more adult framework than resorting to the tired contrivance of a competing love interest. The Hamlet-like self-paralysis wears thin.

So, while Peter Parker pursues his internal demons, he deals with a multitude of external ones. While trying desperately to make a living and pay his rent, he deals with his culpability in the death of his uncle, a friend who wants to take revenge for the death of his evil father, continual abuse from J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons) his editor on The Bugle and solace in the companionship of his loyal Aunt May (Rosemary Harris). Spidey's web of issues is ever complex, and it's all here for our stimulation and engagement.

What's not here is the moment of discovery and emergence of Spiderman that was the uplift of the first episode. The actual love relationship with Mary Jane awaits the next installment and the holding power of this one rests heavily on the improvements in the action and visual effects. I'm not raving, but the franchise is essentially safe.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Also, I had this confirmed about the intro to Spider-Man 2:

Alex Ross, the legend himself, paints a recap of the original Spider-Man during the opening credits!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Another review, quite positive again...
Quint shoots his webbing all over SPIDER-MAN 2!!!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint, your friendly neighborhood seaman, here with this salt's opinion of the much anticipated SPIDER-MAN 2.

I'm not going to delve into any plot synopsis. If you've seen the trailers and TV spots you already know more than enough about this film. I might dip into some spoilers below, but I'll make sure to give you folks fair warning before I do. If you want to be completely spoiler-free (which I would advise) then leave this review knowing that I loved it. The film has the hands-down best Super-Hero Vs Super-Villain fight scenes ever burned onto celuloid and run at 24 frames per second. BUT, I will say that you may want to lower your expectations a bit. That awesome quote from Ebert calling it the best superhero film of all time is a bit much. The film isn't perfect, but it's damn close. Go in expecting to have a good time and for the first time really see a Spider-Man comic book come to life. I only worry that overhype may bring out the minor imperfections of the film that to me are so slight they almost bear not even mentioning here.

Starting off, I liked the first SPIDER-MAN film. I liked it, but I had gone geek crazy before release and watched every clip, trailer, TV spot and played the video game before I saw it. In doing all that, I had seen at least 85% of Spidey in action above the city and the film held no real first discovery. I thought the Goblin was a big missed opportunity... was it just me or would Willem Dafoe be creepier standing in line at the grocery store than in that mask? His grin is evil, why they didn't use prosthetics is beyond me. But, I loved Dafoe in the role. Tobey Maguire is a great pick for Puny Parker, although I think they didn't spend nearly enough time SHOWING his scientific skill.

I didn't like Rosemary Harris as Aunt May... she didn't embody the character either physically or emotionally for me. Kirsten Dunst should have been Gwen Stacy, but I suppose I can buy her Mary Jane (especially after her work in the sequel, but I'll get to that in a minute). I loved everything else about the first film, though. J.K. Simmons erased any image of R. Lee Ermey in the role of J. Jonah Jameson that I had had in my mind after years of comic reading. So, long story short, I liked the first film, but didn't flip for it.

I flipped for SPIDER-MAN 2. Scene for scene, fight for fight, character for character this movie takes a gigantic leap ahead of the first film. A lot of that, I believe, has to do with Sam Raimi. On the first film it felt a little like Raimi was supressing his quirks that we all love... to me it almost felt as if he was a little intimidated by the size and importance of the picture and thought it best to keep it as straight forward as possible. This time he's King Cock and full of all the confidence in the world. This movie actually feels like a Sam Raimi picture. You EVIL DEAD freaks will pop a woody when you see Doc Ock's "operation" scene. Chainsaws, women screaming and low to the ground sweeping camera moves... Oh yeah...

Getting a little into mild spoiler territory here, Alfred Molina rules the earth as Otto Octavious, pre and post accident. Before the accident Molina plays him as hurried, but warm and giddy with the excitement of his dream and life's work finally coming to fruition. His love for his wife is evident in the little screentime they share. Post accident he's menacing and badass. The conversations he has with his tentacles (I know that sounds a little awkward out of context, but wait 'til you see it!) are glorious. The tentacles themselves are deadly and very threatening.

Toby Maguire comes back to the role not much changed from the first movie. He feels a little bit more at ease carrying the film and has some really great emotional moments between himself and Aunt May, but more importantly he seems to captured the joy and fun of being Spider-Man. I liked Rosemary Harris a lot more in the role of Aunt May this time around. There's one scene in the movie that justifies her being cast to me... the scene when she's trying to give Peter some money. The look of embarrassment and embarrassed anger in her teary eyes is heartbreaking. I still don't 100% like her in the role, but at the very least they cast a good actress and are starting to give her more Aunt May-like dialogue.

Also better in the sequel are the characters of Harry Osborn and Mary Jane. Kirsten Dunst still isn't my ideal Mary Jane, but her last line in the film is classic Mary Jane delivered with just enough sexy sass. James Franco has a lot more to work with this time around. His inner turmoil is much darker and it's clear that he's being bred to be a villain in the near, near future. I just hope when that happens he decides to "improve" upon the Green Goblin design. (BTW, in the comics Harry Osborn is NOT Hobgoblin, but The Green Goblin taking his father's materials). J.K. Simmons rules the earth as J. Jonah Jameson. Damn near everything that came out of his mouth had me gut-laughing.

I was drawn deep into the world of SPIDER-MAN from frame one and was never disinterested. There is a lull in the middle, but I never felt the film dragging. I think some people might take issue with some of the over-the-top imagry and dialogue, but as someone who grew up refusing to read any comics other than SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN every over-stated line of dialogue felt ripped right from the pages of the book.

Unfortunately, there will be those who will take these few moments as an excuse to themselves above the material. We had a couple "critics" do this at our screening and it makes me sad that people like them feel the need to prove that they're too cool for school.

The movie will make bundles of money and will give millions of fans wide grins that they will carry with them for hours after the movie. I can't wait to see what Raimi and Co have in store for us with Spidey 3!!!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Interesting Spidey promo stuff going down for those of you with kids (or are kids)...

On Saturday, June 26, from 10 a.m. to noon, children entering any Wal-Mart store will receive an exclusive Spider-Man 2 activity and comic book.

Monday, June 28 - "Sneak Peek" of Spider-Man 2. This exclusive event will air on Monday, June 28, at 7 p.m. on Wal-Mart TV. The 12-minute "behind-the-scenes" piece will consist of interviews and never-before-seen footage from Spider-Man 2.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Hah! No. Sam Raimi was asked that when the original came out and he said nobody wanted to see Peter Parker pay some studio to make the costume anyway.<<<

There's a line in Spider-Man 2 that directly contradicts that. Spider-Man is in an elevator with Hal Sparks, and when he asks Spider-man where he got his Spider-Man costume, he says, "I made it myself.".
Oh, and there's no
Eddie Brock
in Spider-man 2, though
J. Jonah's son
is a potential
Venom
after the events of Spider-Man 2...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Woah. Bruce Campbell is in Spider-Man 2? Is he playing the same character as in the first one? I fuckin love that guy.

No. He has a different cameo. Everyone says it's one of the funniest moments in the movie.<<<

He's a
theater usher
, and yes, his scene is funny.
Also, your info about the opening credits is correct.
I THINK. I'm not really familiar with Alex Ross's work. He's sorta after my time, but the credits are watercolor paintings of scenes from the first movie.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I don't think that line contradicts what I said. Raimi never wanted to show someone making the costume, either Peter or a third party, and that doesn't look to change! But that is a funny line.

EDIT: To do spoilers use the
tag in front of what you want to spoilerize. And of course, a dash before the word spoiler when you want to end it.

TAJ

-spoiler doesn't work. Neither does
or
-

mattx5

<spoiler> blah blah blah </spoiler>

Replace the <> with []

Peter Parker is Spiderman.... shhhhh, don't tell anyone :p

:)

MIMIC

Banned
TAJ said:
>>>Hah! No. Sam Raimi was asked that when the original came out and he said nobody wanted to see Peter Parker pay some studio to make the costume anyway.<<<

There's a line in Spider-Man 2 that directly contradicts that. Spider-Man is in an elevator with Hal Sparks, and when he asks Spider-man where he got his Spider-Man costume, he says, "I made it myself.".
Oh, and there's no Eddie Brock in Spider-man 2, though someone else is a potential Venom after the events of Spider-Man 2...

Um, how do I do the highlight-to-read spoiler tag thing?

Like this
:p

But really....start off what you want to hide by using this: [*spoiler] (without the asterisk, of course). Then, to end the tag, use [*/spoiler] (again, without the asterisk)

TAJ

OK, now that the spoiler issue is out of the way, I can make with the mega-spoilers. Anyone have any questions?

TAJ

We can't delete posts?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Thought you guys might like to know that RottenTomatoes.com is up to 12 reviews for Spidey 2 and it's still rated 100% fresh. Go Spidey, go!

TAJ

>>>Alex Ross is a painter who does comic books, FYI.<<<

I know the name. It's just that the only work I've seen by him was an Oscar poster. I certainly couldn't recognize his work on sight. Does he use
watercolors
??

>>>Also, what did you think of Spider-Man 2?<<<

It reminded me more of the Spider-Man runs I've read as a comic fan. It was better-paced than the last one, had better action, better characterization, and was basically better than the first one in every way. What SORT OF bothered me about it was
its reliance in two scenes on technology that is so far advanced that it broke my suspension of disbelief, even for a superhero movie. Doc Ock's experiments are in fusion, and when you basically have a guy creating a miniature, floating sun, complete with solar flares in front of a room full of press (who don't even sweat, BTW) in TODAY'S world, it gets a little hard to swallow. Then you have him manipulating the thing with metal arms that are magically immune to heat and magnetism.
And, while the poor Peter Parker living in a crappy apartment and still struggling to make the rent is faithful to the comic, it bothered me even when I was a kid, though it does make for some good drama in the movie. I guess Peter Parker never read The Punisher. (original series) Neither did Buffy, (the Vampire Slayer) apparently, though Angel must have.

TAJ

>>>I hope Raimi doesnt stick in a cheesy NY pride scene again.<<<

There is a "you'll have to go through us first" scene, but there is no specific mention of NYC or New Yorkers, unlike the first movie. A bunch of people on an 'L' train that Spider-Man has just saved crowd in front of Spider-Man and tell Doc Ock that he'll have to go through them first. Doc Ock just parts the crowd with his tentacles. A couple people start to move back in, but Spider-Man just nods for them to stay out of it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
TAJ said:
>>>Alex Ross is a painter who does comic books, FYI.<<<

I know the name. It's just that the only work I've seen by him was an Oscar poster. I certainly couldn't recognize his work on sight. Does he use
watercolors
??

Yeah, that's his medium. Here's an example of his artwork:

green_lantern_long_BIG.jpg

TAJ

>>>Yeah, that's his medium. Here's an example of his artwork:<<<

Nice. That's definitely the same guy. For the curious, the way the credits transition to the body of the movie is...
After the last paintings of Spider-Man 1, of Norman's funeral, they show an Alex Ross portrait of MJ. The painting of MJ then disolves to the photo that Alex Ross used for reference. The camera pulls back from the photo to reveal it as a billboard. The camera then tilts down to show Peter Parker riding past the billboard on a moped, on his way to work. (at a pizzeria)

davis

Also on MTV making the game with Spiderman2 they have short interview with Stan Lee and clips of Tobey and the guy who plays Doc Oct

I thought Spiderman and Superman 2 where much better films than Superman. The only area where Superman might have been superior than the original Spiderman is maybe music and Christopher Reeve, everything else is much better in the other films imo.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Another rave, bringing Spidey 2's total at RottenTomatoes.com to 13 reviews at 100% fresh...

SPIDER-MAN 2 (2004)
**** (out of four)

starring Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Alfred Molina
screenplay by Alvin Sargent
directed by Sam Raimi

Just as the best parts of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies evoked the low-fi ingenuity of Jackson's splatter flicks (Braindead, Bad Taste), a surgery scene in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 reminds a lot of Raimi's Evil Dead days--probably something to do with the chainsaw. Still, it's uncomfortable, inappropriate, violent, the Three Stooges gone really, really wrong, and it's stuck right smack dab in the middle of what is arguably the most anticipated film of the summer. Raimi's tutelage in the school of zero-budget exploitation has taught him the importance of narrative and subtext, of internal logic and thematic coherence. You can buy limitless razzle-dazzle; you can't buy a strong foundation in fun and at least a rudiment of sense. And as Raimi's budget has soared from the rumoured twenty grand for The Evil Dead to somewhere in the neighbourhood of Ireland's GNP for Spider-Man 2, his foundation in economical thrills anchors his blockbusters in humanity.

The first Spider-Man a wonderful metaphor for puberty, what with Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) discovering new glands, new secretions, and a new physique (one that coincided with the maturing of his affection for next-door neighbour Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst)), Spider-Man 2 continues Parker's adolescence with an identity crisis and a sort of superhero version of erectile dysfunction. As Spider-Man is burdened by too much time spent saving New York City from itself, alter-ego Parker finds himself losing his job, failing at school, lying to his beloved aunt and best friend, and having to deny his feelings for Mary Jane, lest he put her in harm's way. Raimi and screenwriter Alvin Sargent (better known as a writer of adult interpersonal dramas like Ordinary People, Dominick and Eugene, and Unfaithful, he's an interesting--and good--choice) spend an amazing amount of time on Peter as he tries to strike a balance between his responsibility to others and the pursuit of his own happiness. The rejection of his responsibility for the sake of love (which makes this sequel superficially reminiscent of Superman II) becomes in the film's text something far more slippery, as it appears as though the choice to stop being Spider-Man is accompanied by the physical manifestation of that choice. Peter's superpowers (fallout from the bite of a genetically-enhanced spider) proving unreliable, subject to the whims of stress and depression, pushes the film from pulp melodrama to pulp opera. Spider-Man 2 is existential in the same way as the excellent Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: it addresses growing up through the prism of exactly the kind of literature that should address growing up.

With Mary Jane a working actress and model and best friend Harry Osborn (James Franco) the head of his dead father's company, college-student Parker comes to a crisis point when he realizes that all of his dreams have become subservient to his role as crime-fighter. What works best about the Spider-Man films isn't their special effects (much improved here, though still clunky), but rather a sense of being snared by destiny. It's a feeling of gathering doom aggravated by Peter's search for a surrogate father figure and his complicity in the death of a string of potential father figures: his uncle and Harry's father (Willem Dafoe, making a cameo appearance in this picture) in the first film, one more in the new film. Strange to say that Spider-Man 2 fits in nicely with a pair of Russian pictures from this year, Aleksander Sokurov's Father and Son and Andrei Zvyagintsev's The Return--all three are embroiled in the same pervasive melancholy, telling a similar story of the cataclysm that ends the relationship between a boy and his dad.

The Spider-Man pictures can be gainfully read as an extended treatise on the necessity of strong male role models in a young boy's life--the damnable difficulty of finding appropriate mentors to fill the void left by an absent father. What's most fascinating about this mythology is that more often than not the people Parker chooses for surrogate fathers end up becoming his archenemies. The villain of Spider-Man 2 is someone Peter initially reveres, a scientist named Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina); a Nobel candidate with a dream of supplying endlessly reproducible energy for the world in the creation of a miniature sun (Greek mythology geeks, take note), he has four mechanical tentacles grafted to his spinal column to aid him in the containment of his oxymoronic dream of controlled fusion. Things go wrong as they are wont to do, and Spider-Man finds himself locked in mortal combat with the newly-minted Dr. Octopus (or Doc Ock) for the fate of the world and, inevitably, an imperilled Mary Jane.

Perhaps they're manifestations of the pitfalls of maturity: Little Red Riding Hood's wolf in grandmother's clothing. More to the point, it's interesting to compare Parker's search for a father with Harry Osborn's quest to avenge his father--and how those two concerns intersect in Spider-Man 2 is surprising in often elegant ways. (By the end of the second film, a stern, affectionate professor Connors (Dylan Baker) threatens to be Parker's saving grace, but if you're familiar with the comic books, you know there's no light at the end of that particular tunnel.) A blockbuster with meat, Spider-Man 2 is as sophisticated emotionally as it is technically (see it on the biggest screen you can find), marking its time appropriately between the money shots and the foreplay. It's smart and it's funny, and it's bolstered by solid performances from a cast growing comfortable in their roles. The picture takes chances with its story that lesser films would not, affirming, along with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, that big budgets don't just by the fact of them quash unique, distinctive, ambitious voices. Spider-Man 2 affirms that you can have fun in the proverbial popcorn movie without having to check your brain at the door.-Walter Chaw

Willco

Hollywood Square
Harry Knowles has gone nuts for Spider-Man 2...

SPIDER-MAN 2 Review

Saw the film last Wednesday morning, Pops had to run my Granny up to San Antonio to the hospital for a check-up and I was going to have to wake up early in the morning… Traditionally… I don’t do this. The site and the people I work with tend to keep hours like those that suck blood from virgins, but this was SPIDER-MAN 2, so I downloaded a digital MP3 Alarm Clock for my computer and set it to go off at full volume with Johnny Weissmuller’s classic TARZAN yell… the result? I vibrated 5 feet above my bed in abject terror of being trampled. An outstanding alarm.

After that – it was get ready for SPIDER-MAN 2… other than the typical shower, dress and piss routine, this meant… picking up one of my numerous Spidey toys and one of my Doc Ock toys and clash them together giggling. As Quint and Kraken showed up, there was a sense of giddiness, but I was by far, the most possessed.

As we got to the theater, I sat there looking at the blank screen going, “Play play play play play play!”

You see… The pre-release hype had me. I absolutely love Sam Raimi’s movies. Everything I knew about this one pointed towards him evolving from a cult filmmaker with a quasi-polished style… to being a master storyteller with his style intact. COOL! Ebert claiming “Best Superhero Movie Ever!” didn’t really do anything for me, cuz I didn’t really know if Ebert even really knows what that means. Was he considering UNBREAKABLE, or was he just considering the realm of comic book superhero films? Did he specify? I hadn’t seen his review yet, just heard the quote.

As the lights began to dim, my eyes widened and I was heard to say, “YESSSSS!”

Some hideous horrendous Tim Allen / Jamie Lee Curtis Christmas Dumb Comedy Trailer plays and I had ZERO patience for it. If I see a trailer before SPIDER-MAN 2, I want it to be EPISODE 3, SKY CAPTAIN, BLADE TRINITY and/or BATMAN BEGINS! This thing being placed here, just made me hate it more than I regularly would.

Finally – the flipping comic pages MARVEL logo pops up, and we’re off…

The opening titles are made up of Alex Ross paintings recapping the key moments of the first film and instantly I was reminded of the power and difference of comics and film.

In comics, an artist has the ability to capture a single moment, the best moment, the best 24th of a second to convey the power and intention of what could have been the point of a second, minute, hour, day, week, year or lifetime of a character or story. The control over that second is absolute… the look on the face, the atmosphere to a brush stroke, the posture, the angle, the surroundings… everything. A comic artist has to choose these moments quickly, usually… and that’s why most comic artists’ work ends up suffering under the regimen of tight schedules and deadlines… but this is Alex Ross… the man that has given new definition to comics and a new dramatic realism to the world of heroes and villains. I believe, his opening credit artwork is entirely better than the first film. He makes it feel in the past, epic and tragic. He told the story of the first film in just a few paintings… but conveys everything from the first film with so much more power and grace. I was in love.

As the final image graced the screen and the brushstrokes gave way to life… the film that followed exceeded the power of those paintings and showed what cinema can be that comics never can. Complete.

SPIDER-MAN 2 is alive and breathing. It isn’t just the whiz bang of the fights… it’s the little moments, the relentlessness of Parker’s misery. How tragically overwhelmed it is to be a hero trying to be everything for everyone, but himself. This is Peter Parker, like Jesus being whipped by life everywhere he turns and at his greatest moment of heroism, I’ll be damned if it isn’t a crucifix moment. In the Ditko/Lee days of Spider-Man… the boy couldn’t catch a break… he never could win at life, so he’d escape into the mask… win by being a bully upon crime. He’d use faster and smarter quips than his life-side adversaries like Jameson or Flash Thompson… He was still Peter Parker in his calm Spider-Man moments, but in a fight… he became the best in what humanity backed against a wall can be… he gives it everything he has… heart & soul. Raimi has captured THAT Spider-Man.

He’s captured not the pretty boy Spider-Man in nice digs, but the Peter Parker overwhelmed by that which over-whelms so many of us… LIFE. He lives in shit, puts up with shit, piles shit on himself and then beats the shit out of shit and there’s always too much to flush. He can’t save everyone and somebody unfortunately usually gets hurt, and for him… it is always his fault… if only he had… ya know the tale, the what if hell of life.

The film just bristles with energy… When it’s funny it is DAMN FUNNY, When it’s exciting it’s tremendously exciting, When it’s heartfelt you’ll feel every beat. This film has the kinetics and humor of Raimi’s EVIL DEAD 2 married with the heartache and feeling of A SIMPLE PLAN on an impossible level of production and artistry that simply can not be faulted by these eyes. For me, this is perfect. A perfect adaptation? Not really, not for someone that knows every line and every 4 color tone of the originals… This is actually something entirely different. It leaves the limitations of comics behind – giving weight, sound, movement, soul and life to something only dreamt about for a lifetime.

All those times watching Doc Ock clash with Spider-Man I never once imagined just how breathtaking it could really be. The Clock Tower to the Elevated Train Combat sequence could very well be the single best fight in cinematic history… and my personal favorite two fights are: King Kong vs the T-Rex and Errol Flynn vs Basil Rathbone in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. This fight is magnificent… truly something I’ve never seen before.

Watching Molina play Ock is a dream… He tends to play him small and centered letting the tentacles overact brutally for him. If you watch his face, he’s a fighter that isn’t betraying the blow… he’s surgical like a six armed Ali fighting the most graceful fighter that has never lived, Spider-Man. The tentacles each are characters brimming with individual intelligence and cold cunning. Everything that I felt was wrong about the MATRIX RELOADED semi-sequence is done to perfection here… It’s Gods fighting with humanity in the grip… Those people on that train… They’re powerless, insignificant in their ability to sway the outcome or even the direction of their own lives. If not for the kid playing dress-up hero… they would neither be in danger or be able to even think about being saved. The fight has weight, character, urgency, meaning and power. The culmination… perfection.

As great as the fight is, it isn’t the best thing. What is best about this film for me is Tobey Maguire… If I didn’t care so goddamn much about his character, his situation, his dreams, his pains, his frustration and his exhaustion… That fight would mean nothing. I want him to win so bad, so bad. But he’s Spider-Man… a perpetual loser hoping to make a difference one battle at a time… He’s Balboa, leading with his head… punished time after time… Not for money or glory or position in life… but because of guilt, a guilt that can’t be lifted no matter the confession… It’s there because he is special, because he does have these powers and what is the price of not being the man he can be? He’s terrified of finding out, and it’s that mixture of fear and guilt swinging and fighting, putting forth some bravura to hide the terrified panic of a young man trying to win against impossible odds. He’s Spider-Man.

I can go on for hours about this film… about the Russian Waif Chick and the Pizza Thief… About J. Jonah and mirror’d visions to frighten us all. I can write and weep about how wonderful Aunt May’s moving speech is and how painful and honest Pete’s confession is. About cameos and characters, Easter eggs and gags. I could write a sonnet to Kirsten Dunst, whom I adore… and I could talk about pricks that control the doors in our lives and about over-eager landlords and late homework and dreams crushed and on and on and on and on, but frankly… Discover it for yourself, I know you will and you’ll be so much happier for it.

I saw this film and I felt more alive, more thrilled and more happy than I have in ages, and my life my friends… my life fucking rules, I’m living my dreams, I wake up every morning humming tunes and giddy. It’s just this movie is cooler than all that. This is seeing something I’ve read my whole life realized and imagined by a mind I’m genuinely in awe of now. Huzzah Raimi, Huzzah!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Damn....it sounds like he jizzed webbing.

Man I cant wait to see this! :D

Rabid Wolverine said:
This is gonna be like Xmen.

While the first was a little slow due to introducing us to the characters, the Sequel is gonna go @ warp Speed !

Can't Fucking Wait !

But hopefully without any sort of extreme teasers similar to the Pheonix teasing in Xmen 2.

calder

Damn, why doesn't GAF have a movie reviewer listed at Rottentomatoes? They already have some of the worst movie reviewers on the web listed, if anything the average movie hate/antihate thread here would classy up the rottentomatoes roster.

How the hell did this get on there? Not just a terrible review, but it's clearly been written by a 6 year old who ran Grammar and Spell Checking when she was done. Bonus marks for being on a technically terrible website reminiscient of all the shitty homepages you'd see in 1997. I refuse to check, but I hope that site is some foreign teenager and has nothing to do with movies, but it still doesn't answer how they get their opinion tabulated alongside actual film critics.

...the psychological affliction turns him into a wussy, inept bumbler when he's Peter Parker and limits his powers when he's Spiderman. Pretty much of a letdown -- one that doesn't do much to keep the franchise propped up. But, lest you think it's a flop, let's say all's well that ends well.

Shit, suddenly Harry Knowles reads like George Bernard Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom