• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Spider-Man® 2 THREAD. REVIEWS. ALL SPIDEY-RELATED EVENTS. EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Reviews counted: 66
Fresh: 63 Rotten: 3
Average Rating: 8.4/10
RATING: FRESH READING: 95%

OH HELL NO

Willco

Hollywood Square
Spider-Man 2 is currently the 5th highest rated movie of the year and, by far, the highest rated mainstream movie of the year. It has more reviews than any of the other top four as well. This is proof that there is a God and his name, ladies and gentlemen, is Sam Raimi.

Deku Tree

WTF! I don't know if this was posted already, I tried to looked briefly through the thread...

The IGN cube review is total cut and paste of the xbox review.
They even forgot to put mention the GC version in this passage:

"The city details remain vivid for the most part and players can swing as fast as they can through it without a single hiccup in the technology -- i.e. no glitches, no stuttering, no massive pop-ups (there is a little here and there). The Xbox version fares better than the PS2 version here, but both deliver a seamless technical experience."

This is fromt the cube review, yet no mention of the cube version here at all!
http://cube.ign.com/articles/527/527188p1.html?fromint=1

Willco

Hollywood Square
I've been playing the Spider-Man 2 game all night. It's probably the best superhero game to date. The web slinging is fantastic. I could probably do it for hours.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Won't be catching it tonight, as my date is busy. In fact, we're having to postpone until the weekend, or perhaps Monday. :(

So instead of going to see it alone, I'll just pull a "drive-by" on the line that's already formed outside the theater(I have to refund the tickets anyway). I'll put on a plastic Spider-Man mask, strap some silly string cans to my wrists, and terrorize those more fortunate with my "webbing".

Oh yes, I can see that my night is already salvaged.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Goreomedy said:
Won't be catching it tonight, as my date is busy. In fact, we're having to postpone until the weekend, or perhaps Monday. :(

So instead of going to see it alone, I'll just pull a "drive-by" on the line that's already formed outside the theater(I have to refund the tickets anyway). I'll put on a plastic Spider-Man mask, strap some silly string cans to my wrists, and terrorize those more fortunate with my "webbing".

Oh yes, I can see that my night is already salvaged.

Only THE GREEN GOBLIN can stop you now! Or... imagine if he joined YOU?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Perhaps I can recruit someone to play Doc Ock. We can create some makeshift tentacles with vacuum cleaner attachments. And then "chase" each other through the line, hitting innocent bystanders with our attacks. We could also film it. Release it on the black market/internet as "Roger Corman's Spider-Man."

Oh yeah. This is coming together too well. It just... might... work.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It can't fail. NOTHING has been left to chance. Those in line won't chase after me, because they'd lose their place. And ushers will be too busy laughing to call the off-duty cop on my tights-clad ass.

All I need now, is a list of one-liners to yell as I spray these evil-doers. Or should I just throw my head back and cry out in orgasmic bliss every time I shoot?

Willco

Hollywood Square
I've got good news and bad news for fans. Looks more and more like Raimi is not opposed to doing Spider-Man 4, which leads me to believe...

... That it might be filmed back-to-back with Spider-Man 3. The due date for that flick is three years off, as well. Spider-Man 2 apparently leads into The Hobgoblin and The Lizard, but Venom, in a sorts, as well. Could Raimi end with a Venom finale?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just saw it, out of having nothing better to do. Yeah, it's pretty good, quite a few humorous scenes as well. Although, I must say the plot device used for Doc Ock made me groan... but that's just because I like to nitpick atrociously bad science... and this is a comic book movie, so it really doesn't matter.

As for my spoiler comments...

The train scene fucking ROCKED.

EDIT: Yes, I've edited this post 100 times. It's 2:40 am. :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Terrific film. So good. So, sooooo good. I laughed. I cried. I laughed AND cried. I rooted for the good guy. I rooted for the bad guy. I rooted for the person sitting next to me. I was rooting for everyone.

That was a disastrously good comic book film. I seriously never wanted it to end. The ending was so sweet...so lovely...adorable...weeping...ahh, man. I loved the setup for the 3rd. I loved it all. This movie deserves Oscars.

Phoenix

I have watched it twice so far - once from free passes and a second time when some friends encouraged me to see it with them. While I thought the movie was a good summer film, in many respects I actually liked the first movie better. Doc oc was a terrible terrible damn near unthreatening villan.

The fight scenes of the movie were excellent, but many other parts of the movie labored on. I don't know why writers and directors feel that the only way you can 'get' something is to be constantly beaten over the head with it.

AeroGod

I just saw it and I can honestly say i came away a bit dissapointed. After hearing the glowing reviews I was super pumped but walked away very underwhelmed from it all. Its not even a super hype taht led to a dissapointment, because I wasnt a HUGE fan of the first one, although I did like it alot it wasnt the end all be all super hero movie for me.

Yes I can agree, the entire fight sequence with Dr. Octopus was amazing, with the train and all. Probably one of the best super fight sequence Ive seen in awhile, maybe ever. But that was about it. The movie moved along slow, and wasnt interesting at all. Alot of it was really dumb IMO, and the acting in parts was pretty horrible. When Dr. Octopus escapes from the medical lab, that was one of the dumbest scenes Ive ever seen in a movie. EVER. It reminded me of the ALien Breakout of Area 51 in ID4, except alot more out of place and much more chock full of cheesiness,

Spider-Man 2 gets a 6/10 from me, but alot of that comes from the awesome fight scene.

For what its worth, I enjoyed The Punisher, the X-Men movies, and the first Spider-Man alot more then Spider-Man 2. But no matter, my opinion is little compared to the overwhelming critic approval and the assured pleasing of the legion of Spidey-Fans.

Phoenix

whitechocolatespaceegg said:
I just saw it and I can honestly say i came away a bit dissapointed. After hearing the glowing reviews I was super pumped but walked away very underwhelmed from it all. Its not even a super hype taht led to a dissapointment, because I wasnt a HUGE fan of the first one, although I did like it alot it wasnt the end all be all super hero movie for me.

I have a feeling that many more people will feel this way. I know my friends and I felt this way. We weren't really disappointed, but it was more of a 'bleh' experience outside of the fight scenes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It really does feel that they came up with some fantastic fight coreography, then decided to just make a film around it... because a lot of it does feel forced.

Seth C

Who saw Spider-Man 2? Seth saw Spider-Man 2. Lots of things I didn't like. Lots of things I did like. As a Spider-fan, I was disappointed not to see Doc Ock's lunacy taken a bit farther. Sure, he doesn't need to be the Goblin, but in the comics (at least modern Spidey comics) Otto is a Grade A Psychopath once those tentacles are attached. Still a damn fine movie though. Lots of good humor. It's a different Spider-humor than the last one, however. Spider-Man gave us the witty, wise-cracking wallcrawler. Spider-Man 2 gives us the brooding, dejected Spider-Man. The humor has to come in other forms. Great comedic timing though, and you can give praise to our director for that.

The fight on the train was THE SHIT. No other way around that. The setup for Green Goblin II (Harry rejects his father in favor of his friend, but I suppose its in the genes...) is there. Setup for Venom? I'm not so sure. Jonah's son was introduced, but that's still a far cry from Venom. More like a setup for him to put on that stupid power suit and try to stop the Rhino. A rivalry between Peter and Jonah's son is definitely created though. MJ and Pete together at last? Check. She even gets to say, "Go get 'em, Tiger." Hallelujah.

I was suprised by the turnout. Not the numbers, as I expected the place to be sold out. I was surprised at the variety of people in attendence. Old people, young people, couples, whatever. I even saw a group of about five attractive girls (and no guys) there to take in some Spider-Man 2 at midnight. Says good things for the amazingly broad appeal of Spidey. Everyone was standing around outside (even after the credits) talking about the movie, at almost 2:30am.

Now, time for bed. I've sacrificed much for you tonight, Spider-Man! Including a good night's rest. Time to turn in and get my 3 hours in before work.

AeroGod

I dont like the guy they have playing Oconner either, i just DO not see him...ohh..god...I cant even think about it.

Good movie.
Great Direction by raimi, the action scenes were amazing reminded me of evil dead 2 . Script was weakest part and man there was way too much cheese. I couldnt believe how some lines were kept in.

overall a solid B+ from me.

shoplifter

whitechocolatespaceegg said:
When Dr. Octopus escapes from the medical lab, that was one of the dumbest scenes Ive ever seen in a movie. EVER. It reminded me of the ALien Breakout of Area 51 in ID4, except alot more out of place and much more chock full of cheesiness,

Think of another Raimi film and that's where the scene came from.

Liked it quite a bit, though the CG should have been MUCH better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
shoplifter said:
Think of another Raimi film and that's where the scene came from.

Liked it quite a bit, though the CG should have been MUCH better.

That first CG shot of Spidey was TERRIBLE! It looked much better after that. So weird...

BuddyC

Just got back.

It's very rare that a movie is so good that it raises my general mood, especially when I'm in a piss-poor mindset. After Spider-Man 2....I'm in the best mood I've been since E3.

What a great film.

I wish I could say the same for my crowd, however. The fine gentlemen sitting next to me required his girlfriend to explain everything, and whenever a character received a blow, it was always "OH SHIT" or "GOD DAMN."

Worse, however, was the guy in the top row who would make the most inane comments ever. Half the time they didn't even relate to the film. Newsflash: life isn't Mystery Science Theater 3000, and you aren't Mike or Joel.

It got so bad, in fact, that I actually yelled "Shut it." We all dream of yelling at those who talk during a movie, and tonight I fulfilled that dream. Thankfully, he got the message and kept his comments to himself from then on out.

Of course, this didn't stop me from cheering when Tobey took his shirt off. While I'm not of the Gayming Age mindset, I would consider switching sides for Tobey. That is all.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just got back from the 12:02 showing of Spider-Man 2. It was a great movie, and the ending was just golden. TONS of space for a sequel(s) and you just know what direction they are going to go with it. The fights with Doc Ock were amazing to see, there are a nice amount of fight scenes and they made great use of both character's abilities. You ever seen a fight scene that kinda makes you cringe in your seat and go "whoa" and "ah" to yourself? Spider-Man 2 has a lot of those. VERY good use of humor in this one, I can't even count how many times the whole crowd was laughing. Every scene was either sweet and emotional, action packed, or HILARIOUS. This movie did everything right with Spiderman. The humor in this one isn't exactly the same as the first where they wanted to show off Spider-Man's wisecracking nature, its more situational kinda stuff and what happens to Peter. If Jonah made you laugh in the first movie, he will have you rolling in the aisles in this one. He has a lot more scenes and they are all great. That role couldn't have been cast better. The CG is way better than the first movie. There are a few moments where you can spot it, but otherwise the action is so fast and well blended that it will looks real.

All in all that movie was great. I actually liked it more than the first. Just go to your local theater, sit back and enjoy. Some people might find it a tab bit boring, but I enjoyed the pacing of this film more than the first.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
BuddyChrist83 said:
It got so bad, in fact, that I actually yelled "Shut it." We all dream of yelling at those who talk during a movie, and tonight I fulfilled that dream. Thankfully, he got the message and kept his comments to himself from then on out.
It is practically a necessity where I live, everyone there are mongoloids who feel the need to YELL everything to their friends or say the stupidest things imagineable. Yelling "shut up/shut the fuck up/shut your fucking trap/please be quiet" has become as part time hobby at movie theaters for me. I really hate teenagers sometimes.

Luckily nothing of the sort happened when I watched it.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Just caught the midnight showing and I must say, it kicked ass. It also got me interested in the comic books and the animated series. Anyone know where to find them?

Ryu

I too was very impressed with it. There are plenty of moments where my gf, not a big spider-man fan, would absolutely love this movie. The elevator scene and the raindrops scene just to name a pair. Great fun all throughout. Totaly worth the pair of 10 dollar tickets. Tomorrow, I'm going to see it again.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Currently sitting at a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it the highest-rated wide release movie this year and 5th overall.

B'z-chan

Banned
Just got back from the donut shop. (3:00am) about a hour ago. And i heard a bunch of kids talking about the movie. I heard some good things some bad things. And just some overall kick ass things that i'll be looking forward to.

It seems like you might be right wilco, unfortunatly =( or maybe possibly =) cause you never know how Sam could make it turn out. Hobgoblin stuff sounds interesting. And i was really wondering why they introduced James son (the astranaut) so early in the development of the Spidey series. Does Sam think he could do three villans back to back style in two movies?

If so count me in for the ride.

And the people At Dennys (freaking full at that late of a hour) were talking about the train scene and all i can say is it sounds cool.

So all in all i had a burger and got some donuts for my breakfast this morning. What a great start to a great day. I could have seen Spidey2 but no i gotta work in a hour.

evil ways

Willco said:
I've got good news and bad news for fans. Looks more and more like Raimi is not opposed to doing Spider-Man 4, which leads me to believe...

... That it might be filmed back-to-back with Spider-Man 3. The due date for that flick is three years off, as well. Spider-Man 2 apparently leads into The Hobgoblin and The Lizard, but Venom, in a sorts, as well. Could Raimi end with a Venom finale?

That sounds like an excellent idea. I really wouldn't mind about comic book continuity or storylines being followed, as long as the script and the way they build up Venom is well done.

siege

Banned
After my friend got back from seeing it, he told me it's on the level of The Empire Strikes Back greatness. Now I'm so hyped to see it, I'm going to be disappointed no matter what. :(

pollo

Banned
i walked out during the first half.
It sucked up until what I saw...though I missed the train scene, and I was unimpressed with everybody's acting. Doc OC looked pretty cool - but his character development scene was horribly contrived and on soo many different levels of bad that it completely ruined him.

Suerte

BuddyChrist83 said:
Of course, this didn't stop me from cheering when Tobey took his shirt off. While I'm not of the Gayming Age mindset, I would consider switching sides for Tobey. That is all.

When is this film out in the UK again? :D

Tobey looks like he could be Jake's brother, so go team.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Suerte said:
When is this film out in the UK again? :D

Tobey looks like he could be Jake's brother, so go team.

Yeah, they do look alike. There were even talks of Jake taking Toby's place, of course that was only an option if Toby's back problems continued. And even weirder is how Dunst is dating Jake...love on and off the screen I guess.

Seth C

Kwokuen said:
Just caught the midnight showing and I must say, it kicked ass. It also got me interested in the comic books and the animated series. Anyone know where to find them?

I suggest getting the Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers.

Seth C

B'z-chan said:
I was really wondering why they introduced James son (the astranaut) so early in the development of the Spidey series. Does Sam think he could do three villans back to back style in two movies?

Jameson's son was introduced very early in Amazing Spider-Man. Earlier than the Rhino, in fact. Much, much (250 issues maybe?) earlier than Venom. He was a super-villain for a short while himself.

B'z-chan

Banned
I must be thinking of the cartoon show from the 90's about venom or maybe that was carnage? I dont know. I really dont remember it all to well. But still it should be interesting (scratches chin)

pollo said:
i walked out during the first half.
It sucked up until what I saw...though I missed the train scene, and I was unimpressed with everybody's acting. Doc OC looked pretty cool - but his character development scene was horribly contrived and on soo many different levels of bad that it completely ruined him.

Ahaha. You're a SOOOO too much for us. I think you forgot your berret and your sunglasses there.

mattx5

Since they're introducing Jameson so early, it could be that they're going to follow the cartoon plotline and have him receive the symbiote while on the spaceship in the fourth movie.

I don't think that they'd be able to handle the Secret Wars in a film.

Phoenix

I wish there was a way to chart the demographics of the people who liked the film, those who hated it, and those who were just 'okay' with it. Because just in the few responses we've gotten so far opinion seems to be all over the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom