• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Thread 3: Return of Red... Aussies win again!

crozier

About two minutes of that is all I could take. Fun idea, though. I'd love to see a version where they pass the controls around the room and give everyone one input.

PBalfredo

We're playing Mother 3 now.

I'm cool with this

Aaaaaaaaaaaaawww YEAH! This is my jam!

I'd love a proper Twitch Plays Earthbound, actually. The Mother series would be really suited to the format, I feel.

The problem with more traditional RPGs is equipping the party. It would be like trying to teach TMs, but you have to do it to each party member multiple times throughout the game or be at a severe disadvantage.

The problem with more traditional RPGs is equipping the party. It would be like trying to teach TMs, but you have to do it to each party member multiple times throughout the game or be at a severe disadvantage.

Yeah, definitely a problem
Umm

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. In fact, I could see the streamer or Nintendo getting antsy over gen 4, so we might as well play PMD2 (Please 2, we'l do something else for the aura touch screen thing)

PBalfredo

Watching Twitch play Mother 3 is pretty hilarious so far.

All the <3 <3 <3 in the chat when we got in the hot springs with Thomas

Chat is currently burning themselves alive on the forest fire

Regiruler

I hope to god we don't pick the female as the fanart might get a bit strange.

Then again we have no fans left so w/e.

I've always respected Gen 3 since that's essentially that's my pokemon preliminary age: I knew my friend for years and he had a bunch of RSE materials up in his room and whatnot, but of the stuff we played together (usually stadium 1 and 2), none of them had gen 3 pokemon. They constantly remained mysterious to me.
The entire reason I started Diamond was so that I would know stuff my friend didn't since he didn't have gen IV at the time.

Acrylic7

Just saw the video. EPIC///

Why on Earth did Bird Jesus use Sky Attack again. Because Red wanted Gold to be free from the voices as well. Its the only thing that makes sense.

Caladrius

Wellp, I've now beaten my first Pokemon game, thanks to TPP. Beat Pokemon Red with a team of Charizard, Raichu, Hypno, Vaporeon (teehee), Snorlax, and Articuno, all at around level 50. I'll probably go back to capture the last legendary bird once I figure out where the Power Plant is--I missed that part of the stream. It was pretty fun!

The Power Plant is east of Cerulean. Bring a pokemon with surf.

Acrylic7

Wellp, I've now beaten my first Pokemon game, thanks to TPP. Beat Pokemon Red with a team of Charizard, Raichu, Hypno, Vaporeon (teehee), Snorlax, and Articuno, all at around level 50. I'll probably go back to capture the last legendary bird once I figure out where the Power Plant is--I missed that part of the stream. It was pretty fun!

Why you so late to Pokemon bro?

Toxi

Banned
Make sure to check out the cave North of Cerulean City.
My OTs are clearly superior.

Toxi you better not be forgetting about your crow. I'm still on to you.
tumblr_lycsv5rMUV1qg64aho1_r1_500.gif

That's a sliiiiiight exaggeration. But yeah. I was a little old for Pokemon when it first came out. ;)
Same here. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan and a game developer and because of TPP, I'm about to play my first Pokemon game ever... other than Pokemon Snap, which was awesome but doesn't really count.
Edit: I'm turning 31 in 2 weeks for reference.

Reddit has come up with a brilliant idea, we need a Shedinja in Emerald

Besides how overpowered+majikarp it will be, there's this

Ruby Shedinja's hard body doesn't move - not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.
Sapphire Shedinja is a peculiar Pokémon. It seems to appear unsought in a Poké Ball after a Nincada evolves. This bizarre Pokémon is entirely immobile - it doesn't even breathe.
Emerald A peculiar Pokémon that floats in air even though its wings remain completely still. The inside of its body is hollow and utterly dark.
FireRed/LeafGreen A most peculiar Pokémon that somehow appears in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.

Generation IV
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.

HeartGold/SoulSilver A strange Pokémon--it flies without moving its wings, has a hollow shell for a body, and does not breathe.

Generation V
Black/White A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.
Black 2/White 2 A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.

Generation VI
X A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.
Y A most peculiar Pokémon that somehow appears in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.

200px-Nincada-ninjask-shedinja.png

You guys just getting into pokemon, I'm warning you, look into the pokedex entries and you might fins some messed up crap laying around

Toxi

Banned
What about Rayquaza? I mean, given the obstacles you need to overcome to even face it
Rayquaza's legit impossible without changing the format so we can hold buttons.
Reddit has come up with a brilliant idea, we need a Shedinja in Emerald

Besides how overpowered+majikarp it will be, there's this

Ruby Shedinja's hard body doesn't move - not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.
Sapphire Shedinja is a peculiar Pokémon. It seems to appear unsought in a Poké Ball after a Nincada evolves. This bizarre Pokémon is entirely immobile - it doesn't even breathe.
Emerald A peculiar Pokémon that floats in air even though its wings remain completely still. The inside of its body is hollow and utterly dark.
FireRed/LeafGreen A most peculiar Pokémon that somehow appears in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.

Generation IV
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.

HeartGold/SoulSilver A strange Pokémon--it flies without moving its wings, has a hollow shell for a body, and does not breathe.

Generation V
Black/White A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.
Black 2/White 2 A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.

Generation VI
X A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.
Y A most peculiar Pokémon that somehow appears in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.

200px-Nincada-ninjask-shedinja.png

You guys just getting into pokemon, I'm warning you, look into the pokedex entries and you might fins some messed up crap laying around
I doubt we'll be able to have a free spot in the party and a Pokeball in the bag by the time Nincada evolves.

the only thing more unbelievable than catching Zapdos would be getting one of the Regis
...OKAY GUYS WE NEED TO CATCH A WAILORD AND A RELICANTH ASAP

the only thing more unbelievable than catching Zapdos would be getting one of the Regis

They won't get Regirock

Go ahead, Toxi, do your worst. Try your hardest, but it won't happen

Oh, and they won't get Rayquaza.
And if they get any regis, they'll only get one.

I'll take Toxi's avatar if any of these are proven wrong

I'll keeping adding more

No Latis
Bookmark it Toxi. Go ahead. It won't happen. Start a revolution in the chat or on the subreddit
Won't happen

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Out of curiosity, is there any imgur style hosting collection for the Gen 2 fanart? I saw the one for Gen1 in the google docs links section.

Obviously it's not gonna be complete, but I've seen some cool stuff come out of this thread, and I was wondering if there was more.

CassSept

I'm still surprised by all the Gen 3 love and Gen 4 hate. I developed a ton of nostalgia for Gen 3 over the year, not as much as for 1/2, but still, yet I see so many flaws in Gen 3 games. Removal of Pokemon sprite animation, removal of weekly events, gimping of time-based events, removal of times of the day ,no backwards compatibility, no post-game whatsoever, lack of access to a ton of Pokemon for a long time, a world that's half-water, goofy enemy team and terrible, TERRIBLE rival (one dumps you halfway through game and the other is a boring kid with anemia). Emerald was better overall, but still.

DP were sluggish, yeah, but they returned to the series a ton of features that Gen 3 cut, introduced online to the series and more subjectively, I really liked Sinnoh (thank God barely any water), being based around central landmark, featured way more variety between cities than Gen 3 did, I liked that mystic theme they were going for (complete with 3 lakes around the region that each played part in the plot). Oh and Snowpoint City, the route to Snowpoint City was pretty cool, I generally like winter settings in games and this was the first time anything of this sort appeared in-game. Also, it had post-game.

I enjoyed XY but shit, they're terribly paced, enemy team sucks, level curve is worse than Johto, again no post-game etc etc. The game is beautiful and Kalos is a nice region, improvements to breeding/training are great too but the main quest is so terrible

Toxi

Banned
I'm still surprised by all the Gen 3 love and Gen 4 hate. I developed a ton of nostalgia for Gen 3 over the year, not as much as for 1/2, but still, yet I see so many flaws in Gen 3 games. Removal of Pokemon sprite animation, removal of weekly events, gimping of time-based events, removal of times of the day ,no backwards compatibility, no post-game whatsoever, lack of access to a ton of Pokemon for a long time, a world that's half-water, goofy enemy team and terrible, TERRIBLE rival (one dumps you halfway through game and the other is a boring kid with anemia). Emerald was better overall, but still.

DP were sluggish, yeah, but they returned to the series a ton of features that Gen 3 cut, introduced online to the series and more subjectively, I really liked Sinnoh (thank God barely any water), being based around central landmark, featured way more variety between cities than Gen 3 did, I liked that mystic theme they were going for (complete with 3 lakes around the region that each played part in the plot). Oh and Snowpoint City, the route to Snowpoint City was pretty cool, I generally like winter settings in games and this was the first time anything of this sort appeared in-game. Also, it had post-game.

I enjoyed XY but shit, they're terribly paced, enemy team sucks, level curve is worse than Johto, again no post-game etc etc. The game is beautiful and Kalos is a nice region, improvements to breeding/training are great too but the main quest is so terrible
Dude, Battle Frontier. I'd go so far to call Emerald the first game with a decent post-game. That's also not including the Regi subquest, which was something many people did after they beat the game since it's easy to miss and is a huge detour.

I do think Platinum is the best game in the series, but Diamond and Pearl vanilla just aren't fun to play thanks to their technical problems. As I said about Donkey Kong 64, it doesn't matter how much content your game has, if it's not fun to play, I'm not playing it.

_hekk05

Banned
They won't get Regirock

Go ahead, Toxi, do your worst. Try your hardest, but it won't happen

Oh, and they won't get Rayquaza.
And if they get any regis, they'll only get one.

I'll take Toxi's avatar if any of these are proven wrong

I'll keeping adding more

No Latis
Bookmark it Toxi. Go ahead. It won't happen. Start a revolution in the chat or on the subreddit
Won't happen

Those are all way harder than zapdos though. All you had to do for zapdos was navigate the ledge™, not toss your masterball, surf, move through the power plant, and throw your masterball at the zapdos.

You need 2 pokemon in specific spots in your party and need to dive and undive at the right places just to unlock the regis. You need to chase after latias or latios, and rayquaza requires mach bike cheese, which is impossible for twitch plays.

Read on reddit that the streamer said that Emerald won't be hacked, but for tricky parts he's going to do something so they're not blockers (someone guessed that there would be a dictatorship mode or something?), but they also said that after Emerald there would be a randomized Pokémon run, maybe using Fire Red. That could be really fun.

Those are all way harder than zapdos though. All you had to do for zapdos was navigate the ledge™, not toss your masterball, surf, move through the power plant, and throw your masterball at the zapdos.

You need 2 pokemon in specific spots in your party and need to dive and undive at the right places just to unlock the regis. You need to chase after latias or latios, and rayquaza requires mach bike cheese, which is impossible for twitch plays.

That's why he has so many options. Might even give toxi more.

And lol we're playing catz

Crayolan

Fair points, but personally I like (most of) Hoenn's leaders and the the layout of the region. Plus it has a ton of cool pokemon introduced, including one of my all time favorites, Blaziken.

Sinnoh's biggest problems were the aforementioned sluggish pace, as well as arguably the worst story yet (I hate Team Galactic, they're terrible) and the most detached gym leaders. By "detached," I mean I hardly noticed them as having any personality, they were just kind of there, but I didn't care much about them at all and was never very excited to fight any of them. Gen 6 has this same problem. Sure, DPPt introduced a ton of necessary quality of life changes, but the big one-online-was really half assed. No random online battles? Seriously? Plus IMO, Gen 4 has the worst postgame aside from Gen 1 (I exclude Gen 6 because we haven't seen Z yet).

I agree with everything you say about Gen 6. Tbh, for me it's only better than Gen 4 at this point. Hoping Z will change my opinion of Gen 6 like BW2 did to my opinion of Gen 5.

PBalfredo

When people are saying XY has no post-game, what exactly are they referring to? As someone who went from RBY to XY, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the content of XY. Online alone gives the game hella legs, and Battle Mansion is the cream on top. What is missing from XY that the other games have over it in the post-game?

Red

I'm going to finish postgame in B2 thanks to this thread. I don't even know where I left off. Should I start a new game?

I wish I knew people who still played Pokemon. I am a fish out of water. Online battles and trades would be nice to have, plus it'd be cool to transfer some Pokemon over from my current save so I can get them back if I restart.

Would any of you be interested in doing a collective playthrough of one of the online-enabled games, so we can interact as we go?

CassSept

When people are saying XY has no post-game, what exactly are they referring to? As someone who went from RBY to XY, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the content of XY. Online alone gives the game hella legs, and Battle Mansion is the cream on top. What is missing from XY that the other games have over it in the post-game?

Apparently B2W2 had the best postgame in the series but can't comment on it since I skipped the entire Gen V, but for example in Gen IV after you beat E4 you unlocked an entire new island of decent size and Emerald/Platinum/HG/SS had Battle Frontier which is cool. It's basically a place that, iirc, has 4-5 facilities, each hosting tourneys in which special rules apply (e.g. roulette to determine special rules that will come into play every round, or playing with random rented Pokemon which then you can exchange with those you had beaten). Also the games usually had a lot more special/legendary Pokemon, while in XY you have Mewtwo, Zygarde, and a legendary bird that's semi-roaming.

Crayolan

Post-game is just everything you can do after you beat the E4. Online battling is technically part of the post-game, but most people only count the single player things you get.

Postgames by generation:
Gen 1: Mewtwo.
Gen 2: All of Kanto+Mt Silver with Red fight
Gen 3: Battle Frontier+(Emerald spoilers)
Steven Fight
+E4 Round 2
Gen 4: An extra area with 3 towns+a bunch of new routes+a bit more of Team Galactic's story+a new Battle Frontier+Superpowered Rival Fights+E4 Round 2
BW1: The right half of the top of Unova+(BW Spoilers)
Cynthia Fight
+E4 Round 2
BW2: The original 7th gym town+(BW2 spoilers)
N fights+Final Colress fight+Cynthia Fight
+Memory Link battles+the south eastern quarter of Unova+The Pokemon World Tournament+E4 Round 2
Gen 6: Kiloude City+Looker Quests

As you can see, Gen 6 has the smallest post-game since Gen 1. However, most games have a small post-game until their third version is released, so I feel it's unfair to judge Gen 6 until Z is released.

I'm going to finish postgame in B2 thanks to this thread. I don't even know where I left off. Should I start a new game?

I wish I knew people who still played Pokemon. I am a fish out of water. Online battles and trades would be nice to have, plus it'd be cool to transfer some Pokemon over from my current save so I can get them back if I restart.

Would any of you be interested in doing a collective playthrough of one of the online-enabled games, so we can interact as we go?

You should definitely finish Black 2, it's one of the best Pokemon games in recent years! And if you can, play on challenge mode to face more competent bosses. Though if you're returning to pokemon after a long time and want people to discuss it with, the Pokemon Community Thread or XY OT (if you plan on playing XY) might be better places to start

As you can see, Gen 6 has the smallest post-game since Gen 1. However, most games have a small post-game until their third version is released, so I feel it's unfair to judge Gen 6 until Z is released.
Yeah, but Looker sidequests + getting the mega stone took me a few hours, which is perfectly in line with how long it took me to plow through GS's, RS's, DP's, and BW's post-games. Yes, GS's Kanto only took me a few hours.

But seriously all the first entries in a gen have shitty post-games if you aren't into battling. Can we have the next Gen VI games already? D:

Top Bottom