• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Guerilla devs are salty over Elden Ring reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofist

The butthurt fanboys in this thread are funny. The best are the Horizon fans. Never has a game looked so good and been so boring, and what the fuck is with Aloy narrating EVERY goddamn thing you do?

Rarely do I agree with the hot takes from Giant Bomb podcast, but boy howdy, were they ever right about Horizon: Forbidden West. What a slog.
Yeah I already found the first Horizon to be overrated shit, won't even bother with the second.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I literally linked a video showcasing how she talks you through every step of the puzzle.
and in the video the guy is speeding like crazy. when I played this part one of the characters, can't remember which, also pointed out that I should look at the pressure plates on the ground, that is 1 line not seen in the video Iinked because the guy clearly wants to get through fast for the longplay.

every single thing gets pointed out by her or an NPC that is with you.

it gets even worse tho, which brings us back in topic of dogshit quest design. in some cases SHE HAS TO POINT OUT STUFF or you will not be able to proceed further into the quest :)

I told this in another thread already because it was bafflingly bad gamedesign that is sadly not uncommon but tolerated by the "mUh gAMe iS a MasTErPieCe" crowd,

in the quest in Las Vegas where you first get your diving gear. the NPCs that give you the blueprint tell you that before the whole thing got flooded they saw a RED LIGHT and that you should look for it when you are down there.

so I swim down, look around, massive water dino swims around, there's a strong current that pushes you back when you try proceeding to swim forward. she tells you (of course she does, because seeing it isn't enough) that she can't go forward because the water current is too strong... YES SHE EVEN TALKS UNDER WATER.

so I look around, see the SUPER BRIGHT RED LIGHT... I swim over, there's a button there.
I swim to the button... and get a UI pop-up telling me I can't use that button yet.

Thinking I missed something I swam back as going forward is blocked by the current.

so I swim back, loom around, tons of half destroyed buildings, look in every corner, find nothing.

so I thought maybe I can get through the current even tho she tells me I can't... and so I try swimming into the current again, doesn't work...
I randomly swim further right next to the current, AT WHICH POINT Aloy says "they said I should look for a red glow" or something along those lines...

guess what happened next? MAGICALLY that fucking button that the game told me I can't use just a few minutes ago... NOW MAGICALLY WORKS!
WHY? BECAUSE DUMB BITCH ALOY TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR THE RED FUCKING LIGHT!

I was actually about to quit the game right there... completely flabbergasted by how dogshit modern AAA game designers are...

an invisible trigger, that triggers a voice line, which allows you to do what the NPCs already told you to do 5 minutes ago... and without you can't proceed and makes the game even tell you you can't use the red glowing button yet.

so her stupid handholding is not only handholding, it can also be handholding + gatekeeping progression all in 1! NOW THAT'S SOME INNOVATIVE SHIT!

suffice to say, I think this game is the most overrated 7/10, maybe 6/10 slog I played in a while
Most of what you said is false, but before addressing that point, I would like to point out Halo Infinite.

@2:07:00

"Or find an alternate power source to get this door open."

@2:08:00
"That door won't open without power."

@2:10:00
"It needs more power. Find another one."

@1:01:14
"This gravity lift should be powered up. We need to find a way to bring it back online."
"This object. It's part of the ring's life force. It's called a power seed."

@1:13:10
"How do we get out of here?"
"Terminal. Over there."

@1:53:01
"I think that's all of them. Get me to that terminal, and FOB Foxtrot is ours"

You're told where to go next and what exactly you need to do to get through the next area WHILE objects are highlighted.

Where was this handholding thing during your rant?

Magically these things become a major problem in video games over the past few weeks.

I wonder why?

Magically these things become a major problem in video games over the past few weeks.

I wonder why?
Because Elden Ring expertly shows how it's done, and it came only weeks after Horizon so of course people will compare the two, and we have butthurt Guerilla devs on Twitter. People desperately trying to turn this into console warring by comparing to Halo Infinite is surely a weird flex.

recursive

I see this recommendation for many games.

But does it work? It's not like those huds and markers were an afterthought or an "extra" thing. What if the game was designed around these things? By turning them off, you mess with the design and may turn the game unplayable. Something like the Elder Ring is designed without all those trackers and hand holding in mind. Because there is always something subtle that guides you. Be it the level design itself or subtle hints here and there.

Removing hand holding from a game that was designed with hand holding in mind wouldn't make the game harder, it would make it annoying or even impossible to figure out. Because those subtle hints would not be there and the level design would not guide you either.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the people complaining about the "hand holding" in HZD/HFW and AC have not tried to turn these features off or even know about the option to do it.

I understand your perspective but it is still just speculation on how the designer laid out the games. I could also say that since the designer offers the option to turn these features off they took that into account. Personally I see little difference in stumbling along in ER vs horizon with options off except aloy will remind you every 30 seconds what she is doing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Because Elden Ring expertly shows how it's done, and it came only weeks after Horizon so of course people will compare the two, and we have butthurt Guerilla devs on Twitter. People desperately trying to turn this into console warring by comparing to Halo Infinite is surely a weird flex.
This turned into a console war because people tried to put Elden Ring up against Horizon to bash the game. I only brought up Halo because people weren't upset at the handholding in that game, but it's now a major problem.

I'm not going to believe for a second that now you guys look at Halo Infinite's campaign (which was released less than 4 months ago) as a trash handholding open world game. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

DragonNCM

Most of what you said is false, but before addressing that point, I would like to point out Halo Infinite.

@2:07:00

"Or find an alternate power source to get this door open."

@2:08:00
"That door won't open without power."

@2:10:00
"It needs more power. Find another one."

@1:01:14
"This gravity lift should be powered up. We need to find a way to bring it back online."
"This object. It's part of the ring's life force. It's called a power seed."

@1:13:10
"How do we get out of here?"
"Terminal. Over there."

@1:53:01
"I think that's all of them. Get me to that terminal, and FOB Foxtrot is ours"

You're told where to go next and what exactly you need to do to get through the next area WHILE objects are highlighted.

Where was this handholding thing during your rant?

I wonder why?

Halo Infinite it is not RPG and that smart ass "weapon" dialog hand guide is bullshit, gameplay on other hand is damn good.

Loope

This turned into a console war because people tried to put Elden Ring up against Horizon to bash the game. I only brought up Halo because people weren't upset at the handholding in that game, but it's now a major problem.

I'm not going to believe for a second that now you guys look at Halo Infinite's campaign (which was released less than 4 months ago) as a trash handholding open world game. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Even so, no reason to bring another game in because people were comparing two different games from Halo Infinite, which both fall on the RPG lite category.Sort of. You show your ass as a warrior for the need alone to bring up Halo Infinite when i'm pretty sure, giving today's gaming, you could find any 3rd party game with the same issues.

It says more about you than everyone else. Also,funny to see people so keen on hammering performance of a game when Bloodborne was hailed as a GOTY with framepacing issues.

Tg89

Tbf the Halo campaign was so incredibly boring that I didn't even get far enough for the handholding to become that annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom