• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good replacement PSP battery

dave_d

I figured I'd ask. I've got a PSP 2000. (Got it in 2007) Pretty much the battery won't hold a charge and if I try to run it off batteries the unit shuts down after a few seconds. Anybody have any experience replacing the battery and which brands are good. I did get a replacement Sony battery but it dies right away too. (I'm going to probably see about getting it replaced but I'm thinking Sony might not have made this battery recently and it's just another old battery.)

Dream-Knife

Banned
I bought a new-old stock off ebay 2 years ago and it has been fine surprisingly.

This was a PSP-1000 model however.

Last edited:

dave_d

I bought a new-old stock off ebay 2 years ago and it has been fine surprisingly.

This was a PSP-1000 model however.
Really? I'm guessing the place I got it was just selling me old stock but it didn't come in a package or anything. (So I don't know what state it was really in.)

Dream-Knife

Banned
Really? I'm guessing the place I got it was just selling me old stock but it didn't come in a package or anything. (So I don't know what state it was really in.)
I think mine just came in a clear plastic sleeve. Batteries typically don't have retail packaging.

I figured I'd ask. I've got a PSP 2000. (Got it in 2007) Pretty much the battery won't hold a charge and if I try to run it off batteries the unit shuts down after a few seconds. Anybody have any experience replacing the battery and which brands are good. I did get a replacement Sony battery but it dies right away too. (I'm going to probably see about getting it replaced but I'm thinking Sony might not have made this battery recently and it's just another old battery.)

Just buy whatever battery has decent ratings off Amazon.

$8 on Amazon 2,500 ratings, almost all good, and It even has great features like "no explosion"

BryceNobody

I bought a replacement battery for my 1000 a couple years ago off Amazon. Think it was one of those generic, non-official brands like Insten.

It’s… fine. Doesn’t last much longer than 3 hours but I can play enough Lunar Silver Star to feel satisfied. Hasn’t exploded yet, which is a positive selling point.

I imagine the 2000 battery types probably aren’t that different.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Heh, if only those were as plentiful as PSPs... (Amazon used pricing on Vitas is still practically retail price.)

But there are other reasons to get a PSP instead of a Vita. For one, if you have a large collection of UMDs, you'll want original hardware (although ripping UMDs is apparently easy now.) Then the Memory Card situation is a little better on PSP (you can just buy a sleeve for a SD Micro card and pop normal memory into it; Vita, you need to hack it plus get a custom sleeve to treat a SD card like a Game Cartridge, which takes a little doing.) And just pure ergonomics, some people prefer playing with PSP over Vita if you're playing PSP games or PS1 titles. Plus, some people have collector-edition PSPs, and just don't want these beauties to become trophy case items. If you can keep original hardware going, it's almost always better if you can to work for it than it is assuming everything will be BC or hacked to play later, even if there are benefits to upconversion/emulation as well.

(*If you're going to be hacking the hardware and ripping the software, there are other ways of playing your PSP or PS1 library too...)

Last edited:

dave_d

Heh, if only those were as plentiful as PSPs... (Amazon used pricing on Vitas is still practically retail price.)

But there are other reasons to get a PSP instead of a Vita. For one, if you have a large collection of UMDs, you'll want original hardware (although ripping UMDs is apparently easy now.) Then the Memory Card situation is a little better on PSP (you can just buy a sleeve for a SD Micro card and pop normal memory into it; Vita, you need to hack it plus get a custom sleeve to treat a SD card like a Game Cartridge, which takes a little doing.) And just pure ergonomics, some people prefer playing with PSP over Vita if you're playing PSP games or PS1 titles. Plus, some people have collector-edition PSPs, and just don't want these beauties to become trophy case items. If you can keep original hardware going, it's almost always better if you can to work for it than it is assuming everything will be BC or hacked to play later, even if there are benefits to upconversion/emulation as well.

(*If you're going to be hacking the hardware and ripping the software, there are other ways of playing your PSP or PS1 library too...)
Well I actually have a vita already. :messenger_grinning: Oh and just to be clear my PSP is running custom firmware so I just saved all my UMDs to the memory stick in the PSP. (Which is a huge improvement over running those games from disk.)

Agent X

Gold Member
Then the Memory Card situation is a little better on PSP (you can just buy a sleeve for a SD Micro card and pop normal memory into it; Vita, you need to hack it plus get a custom sleeve to treat a SD card like a Game Cartridge, which takes a little doing.)

I hadn't heard about this. Does this work easily with a PSP that's using official firmware?

CamHostage

I hadn't heard about this. Does this work easily with a PSP that's using official firmware?

I'm trying to remember the protocol, if it worked with official firmware... I believe so?

I for sure remember the PSP Micro SD Adapter being a girl's best friend. Cheap, convenient, swappable, and high-capacity (though PSP uses the older FAT memory reading system so it likely can't read above 32GB; there are dual-sided Memory Stick Adapters, I only used the single myself since duplexing memory can be funky and finnicky.)

dNvi0ot.jpg

Using official firmware, you'd need to use official means, but I believe the Micro DS Adapter mounts as if it's a regular Memory Stick. You'd need the PC transfer app or PSN and a PS3 or PS4 to move the games around in order to keep their certification, but otherwise, it'd act the same as a regular PSP card. Can't be 100% sure off the top of my head, but what I've pulled up on the net says the Adapter is good to go as if a SD Card is a genuine Memory Stick. Plus it's cheap enough to be wrong and not regret it much.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I bought one off eBay from a seller that had high positive feedback. I think it came from Hong Kong, but the battery it works well

Top Bottom