• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

Why is your identity tied to which plastic box you decided to buy though? And continuing to do it even when they are doing terribly by your own admission?

I’ll just never get it.
Certain types of people annoy me.
It's not so much going to war for your console, MS don't need me to help them. They just want my money.
It goes like this. Some people will say "Starfield is mid because it didn't get 90+ Meta". I know that's stupid and then will comment saying "GOT, Horizon and Spider-Man must be mid then as well because they wernt 90+". A couple of other people then reply to you with something and you reply and there you go.
It's not that I love Xbox, it's that when people talk shit, I might call it out. It just so happens that I have an Xbox and know what they say isn't true.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I own both Xbox and PS5 because I’m not a poor loser. I also don’t own a PC because I’m poor. Still not a loser though.
Most of the time is not about money and more about the time. I only own PS5 and Switch and still very hard too keep up with amount of games coming out.

When we were kids we had all the time in world but lacked the money now we have the money not the time to play all games thats coming out.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most of the time is not about money and more about the time. I only own PS5 and Switch and still very hard too keep up with amount of games coming out.

When we kids we all the time in world but lacked the money now we have the money not the time to play all games that coming out.

I have been collecting a queue of games in gamefly since August, not resubbing and starting renting them because of the woolly mammoth that is starfield.

But that queue is already 15 games long.

At this point I can sustain myself on that queue alone for the next 8~ months, but then there's like 7 more games I want to play between now and December.

Shit's fucked, man.

Cyberpunkd

I think this is mostly problem with the gamers. If any game’s meta score is not 90+ is considered “mediocre” which is beyond fucking idiotic.
Because 60/100 and 90/100 game costs exactly the same. The industry is deaf to the need of $30-40 AA games.

Fiat doesn’t sell for the same price as BMW even though both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

There is also the issue of industry being fucking stupid and slashing prices after 1-2 months, people are not dumb - they will wait for sale. Nintendo is doing it right, all of its games hold value extremely well, if you have a choice between 35€ used and 40€ new many will opt for new, thus giving Nintendo more money. Not the same result as 15€ used and 60€ new.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Right after the PlayStation showcase.
1aPzjYE.jpg
Is that part of "console wars", though? A response to what a competitor is doing is fine.

adamsapple

Because 60/100 and 90/100 game costs exactly the same. The industry is deaf to the need of $30-40 AA games.

Fiat doesn’t sell for the same price as BMW even though both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

A Fiat didn't cost nearly as much to manufacture as the BMW though.

A *huge majority* of AAA games review less than 90, even less than 80 and can't / won't be priced for $30, $40.

Danjin44

You guys put waaaaaaay too much value in scores, games can score 10/10 its no guarantee its gonna be worth my money while there games score 6/10 that I had fucking blast playing and worth every penny.

Also I dont give rat ass if the game AA or AAAAA if I enjoyed it then worth full price, very simple.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'll never understand people wanting consoles to "win". We need healthy competition in this space to keep everyone honest and get us - the customer - the best deals the market can provide. When Microsoft thought they'd "won", that's when they dreamt up the Xbone's DRM non-sense. When Sony thought they'd "won", that's when we got the PS3 - and I'd argue Ryan thinks he's won today, so we're getting unjustifiable price increases. Competition is a good thing.
It makes my skin crawl when anyone uses the word "win" in anything console that's comparisons and sales etc. Must be real losers in real life.

Cyberpunkd

Airpods Pro Case updated with USB-C!

A *huge majority* of AAA games review less than 90, even less than 80 and can't / won't be priced for $30, $40.
If you are not sure you have a hit on your hands scale your budget accordingly, especially since your bonus depends on Metacritic score.
Also I dont give rat ass if the game AA or AAAAA if I enjoyed it then worth full price, very simple.
But if you don’t know if you will enjoy it you look at review consensus.

adamsapple

If you are not sure you have a hit on your hands scale your budget accordingly, especially since your bonus depends on Metacritic score.

Review scores =/= hit.

The Call of Duty games review in the 70s.

Do you think the Activision board gives a damn about that when raking in the billions?

Only a few publishers do the 'bonus based on MC' and it's a terrible practice anyway.

Last edited:

TonyK

Right after the PlayStation showcase.
1aPzjYE.jpg
That's not console wars. Developers don't give a shit about console wars (I work in the industry), it's something players do. But I think is inevitable, it's something human. We always have done it for sports, religion, politics, whatever thing. So I think it's something we need to accept as part of this hobby.

In my case I perceive Sony as the brand that fuels more the console wars. Nintendo as neutral, and Xbox, thanks to Phil Spencer, as the most friendly. But, as usual for humans, this perception will vary depending or your personal tastes. So a Sony user always will perceive Sony as the good one and Microsoft as the Evil. The opposite the same.

I have the three consoles by the way.

You guys put waaaaaaay too much value in scores, games can score 10/10 its no guarantee its gonna be worth my money while there games score 6/10 that I had fucking blast playing and worth every penny.

Well said and very true.
But some people here enjoy it way more to fight about MC scores. Hoping and celebrating for scores of games on rival plastic boxes to go down. I feel sorry for people that let MC or some GAFfers dictate what is fun and what isn't.

Elysium44

Banned
That's not console wars. Developers don't give a shit about console wars (I work in the industry), it's something players do. But I think is inevitable, it's something human. We always have done it for sports, religion, politics, whatever thing. So I think it's something we need to accept as part of this hobby.

In my case I perceive Sony as the brand that fuels more the console wars. Nintendo as neutral, and Xbox, thanks to Phil Spencer, as the most friendly. But, as usual for humans, this perception will vary depending or your personal tastes. So a Sony user always will perceive Sony as the good one and Microsoft as the Evil. The opposite the same.

I have the three consoles by the way.

Do you think Phil Spencer actually is friendly and sincere though? It's just a contrived act, we know what Microsoft's executives are like when the cameras aren't rolling.

StueyDuck

I wanna know who the turtles are that read that, druel a little bit and believe any word In that tweet 🤣

Like it's just MS PR BS. But whose it for, I am assuming idiots think it's real 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
People take Console War as this massive negative thing, it isn't, at the end of the day we play what we play so who cares if I think everyone who plays Sony games are missing 80% of their brain functionality?

Quartermuncher

Neo Member
Sure, Microsoft.

Im on a position where i am a "PlayStation gamer" due to the last decade of outright dissapointments and droughts. Let me know when your first party can contend with the company that made the Wii U or PS Vita.

Starfield is a good first step, but thier first party is about 2 gens behind.

Flutta

Banned
Certain types of people annoy me.
It's not so much going to war for your console, MS don't need me to help them. They just want my money.
It goes like this. Some people will say "Starfield is mid because it didn't get 90+ Meta". I know that's stupid and then will comment saying "GOT, Horizon and Spider-Man must be mid then as well because they wernt 90+". A couple of other people then reply to you with something and you reply and there you go.
It's not that I love Xbox, it's that when people talk shit, I might call it out. It just so happens that I have an Xbox and know what they say isn't true.
Lies No GIF

Danjin44

But if you don’t know if you will enjoy it you look at review consensus.
90% of the time I know I’m going to enjoy the game long before the review comes out, do you think I need review tell me I’m gonna enjoy AC6 or not? I preordered that game when they first announced the game.

If you played games long enough and know your taste what you enjoy, you rarely need reviews.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

90% of the time I know I’m going to enjoy the game long before the review comes out, do you think I need review tell me I’m gonna enjoy AC6 or not? I preordered that they first announced the game.

If you played games long enough know your taste what you enjoy, you rarely need reviews.
I enjoy AC as well, but I’m not going to buy 20th entry if it’s the same - material fatigue and all that. So I wait for reviews to know if they really innovated this time around.

Of course this comes with a problem of some reviewers factoring the past entries into the score (similar to Starfield being “Skyrim with guns”), others don’t.

Crayon

Is that part of "console wars", though? A response to what a competitor is doing is fine.

Yes it absolutely is. They know what their fandom is going to get the message and go run with it. "The line is that the show sucked and all the games are on Xbox, guys. Go repeat it non stop everywhere you can."

Seriously, try to notice whenever something is being repeated like a noise machine. Especially when it all starts at once. That should raise an eyebrow. This tweet is actually a totally overt case of it. Most the time it's disseminated through influencers and this fanbase falls in line like no other.

Danjin44

I enjoy AC as well, but I’m not going to buy 20th entry if it’s the same - material fatigue and all that. So I wait for reviews to know if they really innovated this time around.

Of course this comes with a problem of some reviewers factoring the past entries into the score (similar to Starfield being “Skyrim with guns”), others don’t.
I guess I just trust my own taste over other reviewers. At end of the day reviews are noting more than other person’s opinion and taste.

Last edited:

Roberts

That is why this gen, after have two consoles for a while, I decided to stick with one after all and I can only say that it has been the happiest time as a gamer. No FOMO for the most part even though sometimes I think about wanting to play both recent Zelda games.

It's like a Football club telling its fans not to sing a silly nasty chant or not to boo the English national anthem, it's not going to happen, but the PR dept of the club feels they have to do it
Still, SONY fans love to give it, not so quick to take it back; In so many ways like the typical Liverpool football fan.

I remember when us Spectrum fans in school made fun of the sole C64 owner and called him 'Billy no mates' LOL.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with them getting absolutely destroyed in sales by Sony and Nintendo, their big titles underdelivering and Gamepass going to shit over the past 12-18 months.

If my IRL friends didn't play on Xbox I'd rarely turn on my XSX outside of the odd time every few months that something actually interesting shows up on Gamepass.

Those were the days, we would go to school and be able to swap loads of ZX Spectrum games and poor Martin was the only kid at my school with a C64 and couldn't swap his games. So he was given the nickname Billy No mate's

Its a bit of fan and banter and like with football its can be very tribal, but all fans are as bad as each other. I hate the ones who need to type vile personal attacks.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with them getting absolutely destroyed in sales by Sony and Nintendo, their big titles underdelivering and Gamepass going to shit over the past 12-18 months.

If my IRL friends didn't play on Xbox I'd rarely turn on my XSX outside of the odd time every few months that something actually interesting shows up on Gamepass.
You've just acted like a fanboy and the point the XBox PR was trying to counter for added irony.

Hudo

I mean, they're right. But it's the internet, so it's futile to go against console wars. Retards will be retards regardless.

Top Bottom