• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

You've just acted like a fanboy and the point the XBox PR was trying to counter for added irony.

What am I a fanboy of exactly?

I own all three consoles and the XSX is pretty much the least impressive one at this point in time. MS know they are struggling by comparison so they are playing the whole "hey guys, just enjoy games!" act to deflect from their relative weakness.

What am I a fanboy of exactly?

I own all three consoles and the XSX is pretty much the least impressive one at this point in time. MS know they are struggling by comparison so they are playing the whole "hey guys, just enjoy games!" act to deflect from their relative weakness.
That old chestnut. 'I own all the consoles' but I look to choose to slag off one of them, no way am I not impartial....

BTW, I own a PS5, Series X and Switch and look I didn't even do the childish thing of listing the Xbox 1st, I must be a PlayStation fan *rollseyes*

That old chestnut. 'I own all the consoles' but I look to choose to slag off one of them, no way am I not impartial....

BTW, I own a PS5, Series X and Switch and look I didn't even do the childish thing of listing the Xbox 1st, I must be a PlayStation fan *rollseyes*

I feel like you have a lot more invested in this than I do.

I was just pointing out which of the consoles I own is currently the least impressive.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
They are the only ones doing consoles wars desperate for any kind of win
cl7zLLu.jpg

Never seen Sony or Nintendo even talk about them

From the point of view of an Xbox gamer, you can find yourself waring when you don't have an issue with PlayStation or Nintendo.
Xbox has been shit on for a number of years, mostly due to MSs own inept decisions, about not having any games, not having certain types of games, and so on.
At a point you get sick of the constant snide remarks and shit takes and you start to try and defend the console.
This normally happens by showing examples of hypocrisy and issues that the other side are over looking about their own console.
This of course, leads to a rebuttal, and the next thing you know you have two weeks off from GAF to play Starfield lol.

However, things are pretty damm good on this side of the console space. We have a constant pipeline of quality first party exclusives coming down through the years, and if the CMA pass the deal, there will be an additional stream of Activision exclusives in the future as well.
The people throwing shit at Xbox are now doing it without the smile.
You do realise those Activision games your Xbox you admit you need to war over was getting those games anyway. Congrats on buying publishers for the same games.

The problem isn't what they're saying, it's why they're saying it and why they're saying it now.

And the answer to that question is because Starfield has significantly underperformed critically and most early signs are that it is underperforming commercially as well.

#1 A very modest boost in UK sales
#2 Already seeing a serious decline on Steam
#3 It's already fallen drastically on Amazon's best-selling list

I think XSX will have seen a pretty decent boost as a result of Starfield in the US, but not the boost that they were hoping for and they want to change the narrative before it's too late, i.e. when they've lost all mindshare to Spider-Man and a new PS5 revision, and then next year a PS5 Pro, which is going to be the system of choice to play GTA6 on.

But we have to look at the context behind all of this. It was Microsoft who decided to discount the importance of their console by going day 1 on PC for all of their games (a decision probably based on limited console software sales) and a decision that doesn't promote console sales.

Their decision to put all their games on GamePass, which negates B2P sales, particularly on console...

If I wanted to kill a console brand, I'd do exactly what Microsoft has done the last few years, but this isn't a message of maturity and realism, but rather the remarks of regret based on really bad decisions and poor management. They thought consoles weren't important because they were going to become the first major subscription giant in gaming, but that dream has become a nightmare with TV/Movies already showing the downfall of that aspiration.

We'll see what their strategy is next year, but I envision things getting significantly worse for the Xbox brand over the next 18 months, and that is with or without Activision.

Elysium44

Banned
They are the only ones doing consoles wars desperate for any kind of win

They owned themselves with the last one, their storage is quicker to install but costs much more and runs at half the speed? But at least Xbox users saved those 30 seconds not having to insert the nvme drive and screw it in.

(btw I had one of those Xbox Seagate drives in my Series S, it lasted a few months before failing. If the internal drive ever fails then the entire console will be destined for the landfill as it can't be replaced.)

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Coming from our one and only hope Xbox, this is irony.

The statement on its surface isn't wrong it's just stupid to put it out. Why don't they comment on the aliens they found in Peru first before doing this? Or just try making better games that are more consistent Pace that aren't shipping with egregious issues.

MS-Xbox is the company that most actively promotes the console war through its media terminals (Tom Warren, Jez Corden and its magazines, etc...), Spencer with its references to Sony or Greenberg and its army of PRs on Twitter, The best thing they could do is keep quiet because they couldn't be more hypocritical and cynical.

PbAlvGD.jpg

Three

So cute, a megacorp trying to appear human. So they are going to roll back their purchase of Bethesda and Starfield/ES6 exclusivity?

Xbox: console wars are bad

Also xbox in official court documents: "we lost the console wars", let us buy this publisher.

Last edited:
If they truly mean it they should just abandon any of their hw ambitions and bring their games to the remaining platforms ie their current competition... I am sure Sony and Nintendo suits and also a lot of their fans would be thrilled to welcome Halo, Forza, Doom, Starfield etc on their platforms despite "hating" them in internet arguments. Not going to a war ends a war the easiest. No one would lose a single game. Devs who hate XSS can finally ignore XSX and XSS all together and concentrate on just one console. Do it MS! There are no immediate downsides for anyone even your financial reports should not be hurt by cutting the part that never really produced money.

Problem is we kinda need that war, whatever anyone defines even as part of it. Any slight joking jab and even the most objective af comparison is inherently ammunition. But Nintendo prices their stuff as they do, because they commit to a niche or gimmick since Gamecube days and have built that consumer trust and loyalty over decades. Sony prices their stuff since they even won their most miserable generation and just can as well and also have that earned loyalty. MS especially outside of Murica has not though and are distrusted, also due to Windows being what it is. Rightly so imho.
None of them are good guys, even among the devs which are probably mostly gamers themselves there is definitely weird stuff happening behind the cameras/interviews from all directions when money is involved, it is just MS with all their sweet talking while being that giant out there to destroy their competition in every field they try (and quite often fail because they are too big to actually work well) appears fakest to me, but we absolutley need them to fire shots at Sony. And we need MS or Sony or Apple or the various Steamdecks or whoever to push Nintendo. As far as I understand it even within Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are kinda in competition with each other, while certainly also cooperating in the very same things. I'd rather have console wars than a dellusional utopia and streamlined games reflecting that boring world, which we kinda already see due to higher budgets and risk aversion.

skit_data

🙄. That’s not console warring, that’s just pointing out that they’re getting some of those games too. It’s called advertising. Don’t even try it with me, advertising is not console warring. Advertising like this basically saying “Hey some of these games are coming to our platform too” is totally fair game.
I don't really think it's that bad but it's sort of hypocritical because many of the games Xbox have shown on their showcases have had explicit agreements making those trailers not showing up on PS and Nintendos channels before 48 hours or so.

Zuzu

I'm really sick of Xbox telling us how to live our lives morally. From the annoying "Treat One Another Nicely" Xbox banner ads to these types of tweets I wish they would just mind their own business and promote their games & hardware and stay out of the way we choose to direct our lives ethically. They are not moral philosophers, our parents, our spouse, our friends or our religious authorities. They're a corporation which sells us gaming gear and software. Leave us alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom