• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase July 23 - Ready to get back to work Chief?

Are you ready

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JLMC469

Banned
Halo Infinite reminds me a lot of Halo 3.

I was extremely underwhelmed by the E3 trailer and as more information and footage was released I got excited.

McCarth

While I respect her point and enthusiasm for the positives of GamePass, I think a lot of people here have started making some pretty interesting points about what that does to the actual games and their development, and that we might be finally seeing that now and it might not be good.

I mean, a whole slate of FP titles like what we see from Sony or Nintendo on an all-you-can-eat service for $15 bucks a month sounds incredible. But it's also completely and utterly absurd from a financial standpoint, no matter how much a company wants to haemorrhage cash for 2 or 3 years.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
She is on point.

But it's also completely and utterly absurd from a financial standpoint,
Well it depends. There are already 10 million subscribers. This number will go up even further. Now do the math go figure how huge this will become in the next 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

J____Av

I think MS was a bit overconfident here with their show. They didn't really surpass Sony's. Not that they're really behind either. They're both about equal.

In the general public eye (which is what matters) Xbox was massacred last night. Yesterday the PS team was definitely celebrating

I actually thought the games were pretty good, but they are being ran through the mud by social media. Not a good day for the Xbox team at all

J____Av

I was talking about launch titles. The games that are going to be available day one. Apart from the Demon Souls remake, it is extremely weak.

So like every launch pretty much? There are pretty much no good games at launch and few for the first year or two on most consoles. Guess what? Sony and Xbox will have very few games for the first year. Just like last gen. Difference is Sony has shown they will bring the games after that while Xbox usually gives up on games a few years in and starts looking toward next gen

There was a famous pizza place where their pizza was second to none. They took the time with each pizza and gave each one care. Then a new owner came in and made the business a "10$ all the pizza you can eat". The motherfuckers churned out that pizza as as fast as the dirty people could eat them, but the quality of those pizzas went to shit and the people began to catch on. After a few months their reputation went bad. Today, they're still open, but only a shadow of what they were. Lost went their respect and quality. I mean, how could they keep up that level with those low prices. So, respectfully, I disagree, kid.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
There was a famous pizza place where their pizza was second to none. They took the time with each pizza and gave each one care. Then a new owner came in and made the business a "10$ all the pizza you can eat". The motherfuckers churned out that pizza as as fast as the dirty people could eat them, but the quality of those pizzas went to shit and the people began to catch on. After a few months their reputation went bad. Today, they're still open, but only a shadow of what they were. Lost went their respect and quality. I mean, how could they keep up that level with those low prices. So, respectfully, I disagree, kid
Do you use the same analogy for Spotify and Netflix? Just wondering, because it would only work if Microsoft had like 2-3 studios making games and Gamepass being only filled with games by Microsoft (meaning no third party content), which is not the case. Also she is like in her mid 20's, calling her a kid is ultimate level cringe.

JLMC469

Banned
Back on track, assuming Halo releases around late November, that’s around 4 months from now. I would assume they are going to start showing more very soon.

vuvaldi

Neophyte
I'm 23 years old and the only time I've spent money for a full price game is monster hunter world. I used to play it on the PSP, and liked it so I guessed I would like it now. But nah I didn't get into it and of course I regreted buying it, because I am poor. After using game pass I know for sure that I never have to do that again.

Mozza

In the general public eye (which is what matters) Xbox was massacred last night. Yesterday the PS team was definitely celebrating

I actually thought the games were pretty good, but they are being ran through the mud by social media. Not a good day for the Xbox team at all

Not sure with you on that, sure the core gamers will have seen this as a win for Sony, but the more mass market will not even be aware of any of this, they will simply choose which console looks the best option and it's games, only initial adopters will be bothered about any of this stuff.

Last edited:

Stooky

Do you use the same analogy for Spotify and Netflix? Just wondering, because it would only work if Microsoft had like 2-3 studios making games and Gamepass being only filled with games by Microsoft (meaning no third party content), which is not the case. Also she is like in her mid 20's, calling her a kid is ultimate level cringe.
If you look at how much Artsit get for paid for the stream on Spotify. Netflix is leaking money right now. Don’t look so good

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If you look at how much Artsit get for paid for the stream on Spotify. Netflix is leaking money right now. Don’t look so good

• Spotify paid the artists $0,0032 per stream
  • Apple Music got the average rate of $0,0056
  • Google Play Music landed a $0,0055 payout rate
  • Deezer fell slightly lower at $0.00436
So if you got 1 million streams on each you will make $18.660.

There are disadvantages, but generally its a better business model for artists, because it allows them more freedom. There are far more independent artists out there than 20 years ago.
Also as an artist you typically have more ways of income then only streaming.

As for Netflix.. I highly doubt that:

They got competition now, but thats just how business works. Without competition the market will stagnate.

Stooky

There are disadvantages, but generally its a better business model for artists, because it allows them more freedom. There are far more independent artists out there than 20 years ago.

They got competition now, but thats just how business works. Without competition the market will stagnate.
I know plenty of artist and the streaming is not good for them, especially compared to what they use to get in sales. 1 million streams for 18,660 not good.

Stooky

Sorry for the the double post. Music streaming services lead to smaller budgets of music and bad quality. Artist pumping out more music to make up more it in an effort to get more streams, again effects qualiy. Artist have to make up the difference by touring and selling merchandise. For games I think the quality will go down, shorter games smaller games, a lot more micortransactions to make up the difference. Or like Halo and fortnite games that will built to last for 10 years. It will kill innovation. Other than for indie titles with small budgets, I don't dee how this helps.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I know plenty of artist and the streaming is not good for them, especially compared to what they use to get in sales. 1 million streams for 18,660 not good.
Well it depends. Artists do have more ways of income though, so they are not 100% dependend on streaming.
And getting on there is super easy. No big label is needed anymore. As an independent artists it can be hard, having 100% of your possible royalities and full freedom over your work is a definite plus though.

Stooky

Well it depends. Artists do have more ways of income though, so they are not 100% dependend on streaming.
And getting on there is super easy. No big label is needed anymore. As an independent artists it can be hard, having 100% of your possible royalities and full freedom over your work is a definite plus though.
Thats true for the indie artist/studio but for big tentpole games it falls apart. With this model we will be micro-transactioned to death.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Music streaming services lead to smaller budgets of music and bad quality. Artist pumping out more music to make up more it in an effort to get more streams,
I don't know. I grew up in the time when new mixtapes came up every week using beats by other artists.
Smaller budgets also come from music being illegaly downloaded and generally the music industry making much less money than in the 90s. Artists making more music is a good thing in my book. They need to be consistent, which can be tricky. On the other side of things there are still plenty of artists having a regular release schedule.

J____Av

Not sure with you on that, sure the core gamers will have seen this as a win for Sony, but the more mass market will not even be aware of any of this, they will simply choose which console looks the best option and it's games, only initial adopters will be bothered about any of this stuff.

Social media is huge and a good indication of the casual fan, and if the general thinking of Xbox is seen as negative that is a massive blow to Xbox. When the mass market goes to see "which console looks the best option and it's games" and they see most of the comments opinions trashing Xbox, they will go the other direction. It also doesn't help that Xbox is the underdog with much less name value. Every time they have a bad showing it hurts them more than PS. The casuals that have no loyalty will usually go with the bigger name. Especially if they see everything about Xbox on social media getting ripped apart

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

bitch stfu

tenor.gif

Stooky

I don't know. I grew up in the time when new mixtapes came up every week using beats by other artists.
Smaller budgets also come from music being illegaly downloaded and generally the music industry making much less money than in the 90s. Artists making more music is a good thing in my book. They need to be consistent, which can be tricky. On the other side of things there are still plenty of artists having a regular release schedule.
On mixtapes that was free promo. If you could leverage that when your album dropped you did huge numbers ex. Wayne , jeezy , Fabulous , kendrick. When I came up you had to pay for mixtapes. Smaller budgets did come from downloads and is continuing through streaming with labels/ streaming sites getting most of the money. I don’t think you realize how hard it is to make good music. You can make 1000 popcorn tracks. Is that what you want for games?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
On mixtapes that was free promo. If you could leverage that when your album dropped you did huge numbers ex. Wayne , jeezy , Fabulous , kendrick. When I came up you had to pay for mixtapes. Smaller budgets did come from downloads and is continuing through streaming with labels/ streaming sites getting most of the money. I don’t think you realize how hard it is to make good music. You can make 1000 popcorn tracks. Is that what you want for games?
Yes, but the industry made a huge loss with things like Napster and Limewire. Why pay for music when you can just download it for free? Streaming and legal downloads were an answer to make up for the losses they made and give the consumer a better and legal option. It's crazy how huge the budgets were in the 90s. Some musicvideos looked like freaking movies. Also I dont think making more revenue but giving huge chunks of your earning to labels vs. being free but making less money is that big of a deal. There are tracks older than we both together still doing numbers on streaming. Having a strong catalog will help in the long run, especially if you own your shit 100%.

And after all, it was rappers like Wayne, Jeezy etc. that made people look because they released music so frequently while having a constant quality. And while I see a lot of artists going that route of just keep releasing music and getting burned out which results in weaker music, I also see a lot of artists that thrive out of this or artists that do good with a regular schedule. Some of the best albums ever were written and recorded in super short time. I am not saying it can't affect the quality, but there are plenty cases in which it doesn't. As for the games.. right now Gamepass is filled with quality games. Both requirements of quantity and quality are getting fullfilled. I am not saying that can't change, but as of right now I really don't see it. Sorry.

Stooky

Yes, but the industry made a huge loss with things like Napster and Limewire. Why pay for music when you can just download it for free? Streaming and legal downloads were an answer to make up for the losses they made and give the consumer a better and legal option. It's crazy how huge the budgets were in the 90s. Some musicvideos looked like freaking movies. Also I dont think making more revenue but giving huge chunks of your earning to labels vs. being free but making less money is that big of a deal. There are tracks older than we both together still doing numbers on streaming. Having a strong catalog will help in the long run, especially if you own your shit 100%.

And after all, it was rappers like Wayne, Jeezy etc. that made people look because they released music so frequently while having a constant quality. And while I see a lot of artists going that route of just keep releasing music and getting burned out which results in weaker music, I also see a lot of artists that thrive out of this or artists that do good with a regular schedule. Some of the best albums ever were written and recorded in super short time. I am not saying it can't affect the quality, but there are plenty cases in which it doesn't. As for the games.. right now Gamepass is filled with quality games. Both requirements of quantity and quality are getting fullfilled. I am not saying that can't change, but as of right now I really don't see it. Sorry.
Even with streaming music, digital sales and touring is where artist gets most of their money. What AAA, big 3rd party games were released exclusively on gamepass with no digital or physical release? These companies still bank on digital and physical. The money is not in streaming, for me it explains a lot why halo looks they way it does.

Night.Ninja

Banned
The whole show was a load of shit, huge disappointment.

It was basically a game pass advertisement.

They need be 100% straight from now if if they want people to buy their new console.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
for me it explains a lot why halo looks they way it does.
It's a crossgen game. That explains the look. If it was next gen only it would have much better graphics. It was expected.
What AAA, big 3rd party games were released exclusively on gamepass with no digital or physical release?
Why does it need that? Movies still release digitally and even physically despite Netflix, Amazon Prime and co.
Music too. See it as an option. Thats what it is.
Even with streaming music, digital sales and touring is where artist gets most of their money.
Artists made more money with touring years before streaming was a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The Halo excuses after Phil and Greenberg said thy feel confident after Sony presentation are monumental. Add to tht the know it alls tht are quiet now tht said "developing for the lowest denominator (as in Xbox one) won't affect the games because next box is a beast" is even more satisfying. Ppl be taking L's daily and still making excuses.

What happened to the trillion dollar company tht can do anything? Or the "next box is stronger" or "Halo will reedemm" when will you ppl finally hold Microsoft accountable for a decade and more of mediocrity and stagnation? 🤔

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
The Halo excuses after Phil and Greenberg said thy feel confident after Sony presentation are monumental. Add to tht the know it alls tht are quiet now tht said "developing for the lowest denominator (as in Xbox one) won't affect the games because next box is a beast" is even more satisfying. Ppl be taking L's daily and still making excuses.

What happened to the trillion dollar company tht can do anything? Or the "next box is stronger" or "Halo will reedemm" when will you ppl finally hold Microsoft accountable for a decade and more of mediocrity and stagnation? 🤔

Series X is stronger than the PS5.

Everyone knows that by now.

Entroyp

I think Phil is a member of that Discord group and that’s where he gets his information about the gaming community. That would explain a lot.

Top Bottom