• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Owners: Do you plan to sell your Xbox if Microsoft goes the SEGA's route?

Will you sel your Xbox or...

• Yes, i will sell my Xbox

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • No i will keep my Xbox

Votes: 222 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varteras

Gold Member
Man this forum is obsessed with Xbox dropping out of hardware. Protip: they're not going to any time soon. They're just doing what Google does with Android/Pixel handsets. Fuck me.

It's not just this forum and people have legit reasons for not buying Xbox hardware if those games are even found on PlayStation and Nintendo.

It's not just this forum and people have legit reasons for not buying Xbox hardware if those games are even found on PlayStation and Nintendo.
I don't mind if they choose a different brand of hardware and Xbox games are available cross platform, it's just more people to play with for Australian servers.

Christ this exclusivity bullshit has been inbred to gamers so hard, it's corpo mentality to sell you more shit in a walled garden. Wake up.

LoveCake

I dont really care cause I have all the systems I main on xbox because I like their ecosystem and prefer the xbox controller. Every system serves it purpose for me.

Xbox series x - main for eco system and controller
Ps5 - sony and jap games
Nintendo - Nintendo games/toilet system
Pc - rts and Sim games
Steamdeck - portable Xbox due to gamepass/another toilet system
Xbox series s - travel system to play in hotels.
Toilet system's :messenger_confounded:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My Xbox is perm offline for retail mode emulation so no

Never had interest in console exclusives in the first place

consoles will still be around they just wont be a major factor

BlackTron

Sold my Xbox Series S some time ago. Don't regret it. Fantastic console though with some great features like quick resume and stupid quiet when gaming.

BUT I was playing a lot of 3rd party games on it and damn near no Xbox exclusives so just didn't see a reason for owning it. Also I started building a decent gaming PC at the time so why continue playing Division at 1080p when I could game at 4k on my newly built PC.

Sad to see Xbox go this way but they needed new management ages ago. The current management are failiures.

This is exactly my story, I thought the hardware was really nice it just had a hard time validating its existence after PC part prices came down.

I would have kept it if all the emulators I set up on it still worked but I'm not willing to chase a moving goal post on an always online connected console for old games.

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't mind if they choose a different brand of hardware and Xbox games are available cross platform, it's just more people to play with for Australian servers.

Christ this exclusivity bullshit has been inbred to gamers so hard, it's corpo mentality to sell you more shit in a walled garden. Wake up.

I don't necessarily disagree but don't be so hard on people who have had this beaten into their heads since the inception of the industry. We should also be happy that we're on the cusp of the end to a toxic, vitriol-fueled brand war between Xbox and PlayStation.

Topher

Gold Member

Mike Myers No GIF

ungalo

I won't sell it, i'm keeping it for the library i own (because yes i own a significant amount of Xbox games besides my Gamepass subscription). If it's the last real Xbox i might as well keep it.

But i won't buy another Microsoft product. I mean even if they're saying they're not taking that route for now i won't buy anything from them anymore, because it's just a constant shitshow, neverending debates for actual very little meaningful content to talk about.

Just what they did with the Series, the absence of line up, it's actually a hundred times worse than anything they did with the Xbox One launch. Microsoft always had a lot of bad ideas when it comes to gaming but i think for the first 2 gens they managed. But since at least 2016 it's just plain incompetence at a basic level.

No, in fact I'm thinking of picking up a Series X (already have an S) as I want to build a bit of a 4K Blu-Ray library and prefer to have something I can play games on rather than a dedicated BR player.

Pelao

I have a Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series X.
I use my Xbox mainly to play backwards compatible games and the odd game on Gamepass, so no, I don't plan to sell it, especially if Gamepass is still around. Take for example Persona 3 Reload. If I didn't have my Xbox, I'd have to pay 70 bucks to play it on PS5. Getting rid of it simply doesn't make sense.

MikeM

PC has better backwards compatibility than anything though and also has Game Pass access.

I'm personally PC/Switch only and couldn't be happier with the combo.
There are plenty of issues with the Xbox app on PC. My achievements only pop sometimes and they look like email notices. Then there’s the fact that you need to deal with other lauchers on top of the Xbox one for Ubi and EA lol

angrod14

Thank God I managed to sell my One S for a good price a few months ago. I was planning to wait for the Series X refresh because I want to play the whole Gears saga again at 60 fps with the upgrades, but now I guess I'll wait and see if they drop it on PS5. I mean, if they're releasing Halo then why not Gears?

lefty1117

Gold Member
Microsoft doesn't own Valve.

Valve gets 30% of the cut, something Microsoft doesn't get.

If it was the same, then Sony would have no problem putting their games on Xbox, but they're not. It's clearly not the same.

I've held off buying some games on PS now since Sony has changed their strategy and I know they'll be coming to PC. Clearly Sony would have preferred me to buy it on PS5, but at the end of the day they like money. Even with Valve in the middle, 70% is better than 0%. Not selling on Xbox is to save face, but I think it's just a matter of time especially if MS starts putting their stuff on PS and increases the pressure. Nadella has been all about putting Microsoft stuff on as many platforms as possible since he came on board, so in that regard maybe this shouldn't be viewed as a surprise. Mayhap he was waiting to see if Xbox hardware would catch hold, or maybe they were serious when during the ABK acquisition they kept saying their intention was to reach as many gamers as possible.

Hey Blinkin

Of course not. I've enjoyed the Series X more than any console in many years.

I do find the strategy strange though. On one hand, putting all Xbox games on all consoles is definitely the best financial decision for Microsoft, but on the other hand, what incentive is there to purchase any Xbox console going forward?

You would be iintentionally restricting yourself from PS exclusives if you buy Xbox hardware instead.

It's a bold strategy.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I've always had the latest Playstation and Xbox. I won't be selling my XSX but will need to think about the NextBox.

I am a 100% couch gamer because I'm a filthy casual so don't consider going all in on PC. Handhelds I dont have any interest in either so it will be a very interesting next gen for me.

We all might be dead any, so who cares.

I dont really care cause I have all the systems I main on xbox because I like their ecosystem and prefer the xbox controller. Every system serves it purpose for me.

Xbox series x - main for eco system and controller
Ps5 - sony and jap games
Nintendo - Nintendo games/toilet system
Pc - rts and Sim games
Steamdeck - portable Xbox due to gamepass/another toilet system
Xbox series s - travel system to play in hotels.

This mirrors me almost perfectly.

Series X - main console because of better UI, controller, network (imho). Also more consumer leaning than Sony. Another reason is this is where all of my digital games are, and some of them don’t have progression to PC/PS5.

PS5 - for the Sony exclusives I want to play. Which this gen so far has only been Horizon 2, Returnal, and some LoU multiplayer

Switch - all those Nintendo games

PC - for the stuff not on consoles

As long as Xbox has hardware, I’ll be there.

rapid32.5

Have huge library of games already, so no. But skipping next Xbox would be easier, unless MS has a magic trick up their sleeves, like selling same game for 49.99 on Xbox vs 69.99 same game on PS6. They can do it and can afford it, by putting all that tax on Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Del_X

I’m gonna keep it since it’s basically worthless and collects dust anyway. Maybe I can jailbreak it and it’ll be a useful tool as a roon server or something one day.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Glad I searched around for this before posting. I got the same question. I will keep the Xbox Series X I have. Even though Microsoft might drop out of the console business. Putting there once exclusive games now out to other platforms proves the point that Microsoft just wants more money profit now. Selling the consoles and keeping games exclusive hasn't given them enough profit and therefore the CEO or just the Xbox boss guy decided ok to make more profit we can no longer have exclusives and we'll release our games on multiple consoles. So the question really is will Microsoft make a next Xbox? I don't think they will. They've already stated if they don't make enough money from the current Xbox Series S and X that they will drop out of the console market. Than they will continue to make games for Sony and Nintendo and PC and make more profit that way. Really I don't think Microsoft will make the profit margin they want with the Xbox Series X. I know a new constroller they made is coming out and I know a new round trash can type of Xbox Series X with 2TB is gonna be coming out this September time this year. But overall I don't think they will meet there profit margin and they will drop out of the console market all together.

I do find the strategy strange though. On one hand, putting all Xbox games on all consoles is definitely the best financial decision for Microsoft, but on the other hand, what incentive is there to purchase any Xbox console going forward?

You would be iintentionally restricting yourself from PS exclusives if you buy Xbox hardware instead.

It's a bold strategy.

There's absolutely no reason to. Microsoft knows this, they will continue to make money by licensing the Xbox brand out to third parties just like they do with Windows PCs. Those manufacturers are going to be the ones hurt by this, and in order to stay afloat despite the high investment, low margin business of console making, it will be a race to the bottom of min-spec trash. Just take a look at the PC laptop market today, it's not a good market to be in for manufacturers or consumers.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol, a Draugoth topic for sure.

Anyway, it would be like crossing an arbitrary line. So if it works now, it would also work after. So, clearly no.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

There's absolutely no reason to. Microsoft knows this, they will continue to make money by licensing the Xbox brand out to third parties just like they do with Windows PCs. Those manufacturers are going to be the ones hurt by this, and in order to stay afloat despite the high investment, low margin business of console making, it will be a race to the bottom of min-spec trash. Just take a look at the PC laptop market today, it's not a good market to be in for manufacturers or consumers.

With Sony no longer having to compete with Microsoft for the 'best' hardware, I suspect they'll also do the same to some extent.

It'll be much easier to sell early/mid/late gen upgraded consoles on a regular basis.

I don't think the sky is falling but I don't have an optimistic outlook for the future of console gaming.

DavidGzz

I never sell consoles. Plus it's a more portable option for on the go gaming which I do all of the time.

nick776

It's a bold strategy.
That is my question, who in their right mind would buy an Xbox over a PS5 when buying a PS5 gets you Playstation AND Xbox games whereas buying Xbox only you lose out on Playstation games. Nobody in their right mind would buy an Xbox knowing that.

Hey Blinkin

That is my question, who in their right mind would buy an Xbox over a PS5 when buying a PS5 gets you Playstation AND Xbox games whereas buying Xbox only you lose out on Playstation games. Nobody in their right mind would buy an Xbox knowing that.

I'm sure there would be loyalists to the brand that would still buy one, but honestly, it would be an ill advised money sink to even create another Xbox if there's no games exclusively for it.

Matsuchezz

This is not enough MS needs to sell their game division altogether to tencent or
Embracer. So they can disappear from gaming.

Somebody that does not care about Sony first party output and wants a cheap alternative to access modern 3rd party titles like Fortnite.

Top Bottom