• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Owners: Do you plan to sell your Xbox if Microsoft goes the SEGA's route?

Will you sel your Xbox or...

• Yes, i will sell my Xbox

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • No i will keep my Xbox

Votes: 222 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeVeAn

The obsession with Xbox going third party is astounding. I really like the console this gen and controller. If they went third party oh well I’d play on PS5. Not a fan of arrogant Sony though so maybe I build a PC.

Iced Arcade

Lol no I'll keep it, great console and got 2 years left on gamepass. I already have a PS5.

Now if they do release 1st party games/gamepass on PS even if it's a few months later... I can't see me buying the next Xbox. Not shelling out 1k on hardware for early access.

Hey Blinkin

Somebody that does not care about Sony first party output and wants a cheap alternative to access modern 3rd party titles like Fortnite.

Do you really feel like there's a significant enough market for such a thing though?

How would they compete when Sony runs hardware sales effectively eliminating the cost advantage?

If next gen was the equivalent of a Series S and PS5, why wouldn't you just wait for the Sony offering to go on sale?

Pimpbaa

Not until they plan on killing support and gamepass. If they do I’ll try and sell it and continue playing games on my ps5 (and by then the Switch 2). Hard to say how long they will support the hardware.

I have PS5 and a switch to go with my Xbox. I’ll just keep it but all 3rd party titles WILL be PS5 from now on. I know a white flag when I see one.

Do you really feel like there's a significant enough market for such a thing though?

How would they compete when Sony runs hardware sales effectively eliminating the cost advantage?

If next gen was the equivalent of a Series S and PS5, why wouldn't you just wait for the Sony offering to go on sale?
I am not Nostradamus, but Sony has always had the premium electronics pricing even when their quality slipped. Also, if they add something expensive proprietary controller-wise...

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I'll keep my Xbox because I didn't buy it for me, I bought it to throw GamePass on it and let the kids and nieces/nephews play it when they're over. Every Xbox and PlayStation game is on or will come to PC (sadly, not Bloodborne it seems...) so I'm almost purely PC exclusive. Have my setup so I can be at the desk when I want or throw it on the TV and lay back with a controller, so consoles are kind of dead to me.

Hey Blinkin

I am not Nostradamus, but Sony has always had the premium electronics pricing even when their quality slipped. Also, if they add something expensive proprietary controller-wise...

Sony will inevitably run sales on their hardware.

Unless next gen PS is $1000 and Xbox is $299, I don't see why Sony wouldn't want to increase their user base by keeping in competitive price range with sales just so you will buy that high priced peripheral.

The minor loss they'd take on hardware sales will easily be made up when you buy their exclusives, a sub to PS+ and any extra peripherals.

No reason to sell it. Still have tons of digital games going back to the og Xbox. It's also a UHD BR player and Game Pass system since I don't game on PC.

No. 2 reasons

A. Too much of a hassle to sell, don’t know who would buy
B. Gamepass gets a bunch of free games day one - which I want the option for. And a large library of free shit Sony charges a lot for on Ps5

Artistic

Sold my Xbox Series X a month or two ago. For various reasons, none pertaining to failing success from Microsoft.

I genuinely feel Xbox has the better hardware. Games might be lacking but the competition doesn’t have Halo. Nor do I want to see Halo on PlayStation.

I’ll leave it at that.

David B

An Idiot
Gears of War and Halo series are still Xbox exclusives. So the biggest ones are still exclusives. But overall I think Microsoft will drop out of the console business. And maybe, just maybe they will release an Xbox OS available for PC out to manufacturers. So basically it's an easier to use PC than having to use Steam and EA and all the other downloaded software. Microsoft could steal tons of sales from Steam if they made an Xbox OS for PCs!!!

draliko

PC has better backwards compatibility than anything though and also has Game Pass access.

I'm personally PC/Switch only and couldn't be happier with the combo.
This was my last generation full multiplat and sincerely all ot did was making me move back to pc land and I will stay there for the future. I'll keep the console just for the kids as it's way easier to use for them

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll keep it and play it. It's awesome hardware and I love the controller.

I still have my dreamcast, which was another amazing console.

Yes and already did a couple of months ago, when my bs sense started tingling. Rebought everything I could on pc. If Microsoft would kindly release the Gears of War Trilogy on pc as that's the only thing missing for me.

Zheph

The obsession with Xbox going third party is astounding. I really like the console this gen and controller. If they went third party oh well I’d play on PS5. Not a fan of arrogant Sony though so maybe I build a PC.
One company has been extremely arrogant this gen and it's not Sony but keep up

Kumomeme

Microsoft buy Sega

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Microsoft become like Sega

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You should have waited until after spring to say stuff like this. You know you're going to be quoted in a future OP if you're wrong lol.

Lol. If I am then so be it.

I'm not an Xbox fanboy in denial. I have both Xbox and PlayStation, so if this did happen then it wouldn't impact me at all.

However, from a logical viewpoint I just don't see how going third-party benefits Microsoft. It's not like they're financially struggling.

Mooreberg

Would keep it. The post Black Friday panic sale was always a stop gap to wait and see what happens with PS5 Pro. Between that and the disc based B/C, I have no reason to ditch it.

I bought a Series X for €400 to play BC games (have around 50 or so Xbox disc based games) so I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, especially if it will be the last Xbox console with a disc drive.

That said, I own all current-gen game consoles and plan on buying Switch 2 and PS5 Pro whenever they drop.

Last edited:
I'm not an Xbox fanboy in denial. I have both Xbox and PlayStation, so if this did happen then it wouldn't impact me at all.
No worries, I try not to assume anyone is a fanboy here unless they are acting extreme. I own both too. Like you, I'm waiting for a hard confirmation so that if it happens, Series X will be my final Xbox console.
However, from a logical viewpoint I just don't see how going third-party benefits Microsoft. It's not like they're financially struggling.
From what the rumors and articles recently sound like, their minor profits lately have been coming mostly from ABK, everything else is losing money, the people at the top of Xbox and the people at the top of MS are not agreeing on things, ARM is being considered for the future, the big push at MS now is A.I., the big push at Xbox is Gamepass everywhere, and both parties are wanting to make as much money as possible which would mean becoming more of a software-based company like Windows.

• They lost the battle on phone hardware.
  • They lost the battle on streaming.
  • They lost the battle on music storefronts.
  • They are very slowly being bled out from Apple when it comes to corporate office hardware needs.
  • They are losing the battle on PC gaming to Steam, Epic Games Store, and GoG.
  • They are losing the console hardware sales battle to Nintendo and Sony.
  • They are losing the console digital store sales due to untransferrable libraries between PS and Xbox(like Phil mentioned in that famous interview) which causes PS fans to stick to where their owned library is.

So I can understand if someone at MS is wanting to flip the table and make changes.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seems pointless keeping it, to be honest. Yeah, I'll probably part ex it in at CEX next time there's something I want, but can't be arsed to actually pay for.

PC, Ps5 and Switch seem like the best combo moving forward to cover everything. Xbox is... pointless.

Last edited:

meatsauce

Neo Member
Nah. I do love the Series X. Like my PS4, I will probably be using it for many years to come.
As long as there is cheap playable software on it, I will be gaming.

My continued support of Xbox depends on their next moves.

Last edited:
Man this forum is obsessed with Xbox dropping out of hardware. Protip: they're not going to any time soon. They're just doing what Google does with Android/Pixel handsets. Fuck me.
Im a Playstation “fanboy”, and I agree. Xbox is profitable. What Microsoft wants is to expand their market outside their own box. This is only a negative for a green rat on a twitter.

Definitely going pc-playstation starting whenever the gtx 5xxx are out. Already have a steamdeck so the transition is gonna be smooth. Debating selling my xbox account as well on the gray market.

Top Bottom