• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox social media really rubbing it in :D

Nice
AC8anb9.jpg

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Haha. It could really backfire on them.

I will say though, for the more "mainstream" crowd, the Xbox Twitter accounts are really good and know what they're doing.

(This does not include Aaron Cringeberg. Nice guy but needs to stop tweeting)

Andodalf

Banned
All they're doing is flexing their wallet, which is quite lame. Unlike Sony, they didn't work closely and form a unique relationship with the studios that they bought before buying them; they simply used their massive wealth to buy them out. Hence, they get no credit from me for acquiring studios.

Since you apparently know nothing about Bethesda, I’d go watch the podcast Larry did with Phil Todd and Pete. Bethesda was working with Xbox before Xbox was a thing, and Todd has said many times that Morrowind coming to Xbox saved the company. They were intimately involved in the amount of Ram doubling for the 360. Xbox was the first to give them a chance to come onto an E3 stage. Bethesda was an early participant in Gamepass, and has done a lot of work on Cloud gaming themselves, so they’re a fit for Xbox now more than ever, and a 20 year relationship just got sealed.

If you go read Phil and Todd’s statements from the day of the announcement, it sounds like they’re talking about HS sweethearts more than billion and trillion dollar companies. The relationship between BGS and Xbox is closer than just about any 3rd party to any 1st party.

Kerotan

Not rubbing anything in. They're perfectly entitled to state their strengths. That tweet only got 15k likes so not exactly viral either.

The best case scenario now is Sony buys a publisher like Square Enix or Capcom and says xbox only get their games if PlayStation gets Bethesda. Ultimately gamers lose if Sony and MS start buying up 3rd party publishers. And a bit rich coming from Phil who was pretending exclusives were bad not so long ago. Funny seeing all his fanboys celebrate this move though.

MarkMe2525

All they're doing is flexing their wallet, which is quite lame. Unlike Sony, they didn't work closely and form a unique relationship with the studios that they bought before buying them; they simply used their massive wealth to buy them out. Hence, they get no credit from me for acquiring studios.
You must not have watched the Todd Howard and Phil Spencer interview. They were goofing off like old buds and talking about working together 20 years ago. The deal was made because of relationships. Money talks of course but you're off base with your assessment of the purchase.

Last edited:
Since you apparently know nothing about Bethesda, I’d go watch the podcast Larry did with Phil Todd and Pete. Bethesda was working with Xbox before Xbox was a thing, and Todd has said many times that Morrowind coming to Xbox saved the company. They were intimately involved in the amount of Ram doubling for the 360. Xbox was the first to give them a chance to come onto an E3 stage. Bethesda was an early participant in Gamepass, and has done a lot of work on Cloud gaming themselves, so they’re a fit for Xbox now more than ever, and a 20 year relationship just got sealed.

If you go read Phil and Todd’s statements from the day of the announcement, it sounds like they’re talking about HS sweethearts more than billion and trillion dollar companies. The relationship between BGS and Xbox is closer than just about any 3rd party to any 1st party.

Out of that podcast -all you say above is correct- what made the most impact to me was nelson saying how the entire ms team stayed awake all sunday night and were constantly monitoring the internet for leaks. nelson even threw a jab at spencer saying that while spencer's team was up along with the social team for the all-nighter, spencer himself ...took a nap :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I found that a genuine thing showing their excitement and grand anticipation to break the news early monday morning.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

I wasn't talking about Bethesda specifically but about the studios that they've bought in general; Bethesda is the exception, I would imagine.

Zannegan

The best case scenario now is Sony buys a publisher like Square Enix or Capcom and says xbox only get their games if PlayStation gets Bethesda. Ultimately gamers lose if Sony and MS start buying up 3rd party publishers. And a bit rich coming from Phil who was pretending exclusives were bad not so long ago. Funny seeing all his fanboys celebrate this move though.
SE would be a great fit for Sony, portfolio-wise, they've got some legendary IPs and a good mix of eastern and western studios.

I agree that dividing up the games industry between the big 3 isn't a good thing, but like I've said elsewhere, I would happily see it done before seeing Amazon and/or Google taking a slice out of the pie.

As for Phil, I always took those comments to be against timed/purchased exclusivity, rather than first party exclusivity. Still rich given how they started the generation though. lol

DinoD

wow they suddenly become very confident after the acquisition. like a kid show of tons of multiple expensive toys they just bought. they (pr department) need to becarefull or it could backfire later.

Its just the marketing strategy. Anyone else would be doing the same. Even if only 1/2 of the studios produce some goods. It'd still be pretty remarkable for them. As PS user, I am still baffled by people trying to downplay this acquisition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And the close relationship Sony had with bought out studios such as Zipper, Sony Liverpool (Psygnosis), Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge did them good.

Gassed them.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Sure you were. You just didn't know MS/Bethesda's long time gaming relationship and thought Bethesda was just another third party game company.

You should maybe read up on things before typing.

I honestly wasn't talking about only Bethesda, which shouldn't be unbelievable since the OP, which I quoted, contains a tweet in which Microsoft mentions that they've bought 23 studios - not just Bethesda. Also, in my original comment, I use the plural word "studios" and I never mention Bethesda.

Kumomeme

Its just the marketing strategy. Anyone else would be doing the same. Even if only 1/2 of the studios produce some goods. It'd still be pretty remarkable for them. As PS user, I am still baffled by people trying to downplay this acquisition.
based on their track record before, it better to be carefull. but it not wrong to go for pr battle like they did. maybe the pr department think they can 'take it easy' with 'powerfull backers' like bethesda and id software for example. this is moment where they need to seize the pr momentum. right move, but also, need to thread carefully. even sony has troubled mixed message before for example.

Not rubbing anything in. They're perfectly entitled to state their strengths. That tweet only got 15k likes so not exactly viral either.

one's market cap is ~8b , the other's ~6b. add a sweetener of 30-40% for the shareholders and you are looking at money that sony doen't have to spend on such matters

Sony isn't a publisher level purchaser, they just don't have the financial means. Their financials can support a studio by studio acquisition model, not conglomerates.

Rubbing what in? Even after spending 7.5b on zenimax, Sony still holds the better studios.
Better at what though?

Better at racing games? No. Better at FPS games? No. Better at RPG's? No. Better at strategy games? No. Better at TPS games? No. Better at multiplayer games? No. Better at service based games? No.

Sony is better at a particular breed of game, and very little beyond that. Better isn't a cut and dry singularity, it's a multifaceted question.

Last edited:

Kerotan

SE would be a great fit for Sony, portfolio-wise, they've got some legendary IPs and a good mix of eastern and western studios.

I agree that dividing up the games industry between the big 3 isn't a good thing, but like I've said elsewhere, I would happily see it done before seeing Amazon and/or Google taking a slice out of the pie.

As for Phil, I always took those comments to be against timed/purchased exclusivity, rather than first party exclusivity. Still rich given how they started the generation though. lol
Agreed. Much prefer MS buy then one of Facebook, Google, amazon or apple. Lessor of those evils for sure.

And yeah Phil was only against them because nobody with a right mind would go xbox timed exclusive anymore without MS paying through their nose.

Kerotan

Better at what though?

Better at racing games? No. Better at FPS games? No. Better at RPG's? No. Better at strategy games? No. Better at TPS games? No. Better at multiplayer games? No. Better at service based games? No.

Sony is better at a particular breed of game, and very little beyond that.
Funny how MS are better at everything yet the ps4 obliterated them in sales.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Better at what though?

Sony is better at a particular breed of game, and very little beyond that. Better isn't a cut and dry singularity, it's a multifaceted question.
To be fair, PS has baseball too. Ya, the game which is on its 25th iteration.

MS in some form or function has relationships with almost all studios that do work. It could be working with graphics and directX it could be working on lighter scripting languages and game design that never sees the light of day. To say that MS just wanders around throwing that huge ass daddy wallet around is a really generic statement that ignores all the many technologies that MS as a company and multiple development studios in the world work with and on. Just because games are not directly released on Xbox does not mean that developers and designers do not use and work with MS on multiple back end technologies to help them in their overall development strategies. A while ago MS an Sony partnered up together for cloud technologies and announced that.

In tech everyone is in bed with each other to a certain degree and to play off that there are no close relationships is a gross understatement for sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You do realize MLB the Show comes to Xbox in 2021 right?
Oh ya. Forgot about that. Out of all the Sony exclusives, it's probably the main game I actually want to play. Havent played The Show since 2006 on PS2.... (the one with Ryan Howard on the cover). And at the time, it was easily the best baseball game I played. Makes all the 2k and EA baseball games play like shit.

The funny thing about baseball games is that I never even play a whole season. I don't think I ever have in any baseball game, but used to buy them way back. haha

All their SP sad dad games who cares. I don't play those kinds of games on any platform. I'll play Forza over GT and I don't play fighting games anymore too. But if I had a choice I'd rather play KI because it's gruesome and something different as I played SF in the 90s and dont care about playing Ryu or Guile for the 1000th match in SF5.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

They’ve had a noticeable quality drop for half a decade already.
Now that they won't have to worry about putting out a game to pay the bills, they can focus on making the games they want and give them time to breath. Todd Howard referenced this himself in his first interview after it was announced.

Gamepass has the ability to allow devs to avoid crunch, avoid rushing out a product, and more importantly allow more creative freedom. As long as there are paying subscribers, they can focus on content. Not many developers have that luxury in today's gaming business climate.

This only applies to the 23 studios under MS umbrella of course, but that's a big umbrella with a lot of talent underneath it.

Last edited:

Reallink

Top Tweeter Carlos isn't the brightest bulb in the box. He could have sold his PS5 preorder instead of canceling it and gotten a Series X for free.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now that they won't have to worry about putting out a game to pay the bills, they can focus on making the games they want and give them time to breath. Todd Howard referenced this himself in his first interview after it was announced.

Gamepass has the ability to allow devs to avoid crunch, avoid rushing out a product, and more importantly allow more creative freedom. As long as there are paying subscribers, they can focus on content. Not many developers have that luxury in today's gaming business climate.

This only applies to the 23 studios under MS umbrella of course, but that's a big umbrella with a lot of talent underneath it.
Yup.

Instead of Bethesda trying to maximize unit sales launching buggy Gamebryo across different systems (PS3 Skyrim was a laugh), now they can focus on Xbox and PC.

MS also has no problem delaying games (just about every one of has been delayed), so it shows MS isn't trying to rush stuff to hit a release date. Halo Infinite is supposed to be the granddaddy launch title and they shelved it till next year.

eventualdecline

Neo Member
100M monthly Xbox users? Where are they getting these kind of numbers? Are they including all of the owners of the 3DO, Atari Jaguar, and Sega 32X?

Better at what though?

FPS games are fast becoming an irrelevant genre. There’s good reason that Sony doesn’t give a shit about them. It’s not 2008 anymore. And if they’re so important, why did MS have only 1 exclusive FPS this gen? You could also argue that Killzone: Shadowfall is a MUCH better game than Halo 5. Strategy games? It’s not 1998 anymore, and mostly anyone who cares about that genre plays on PC. Same with WRPG’s.

As for RPG’s IN GENERAL, any Playstation console is the clear winner, except for the first half of the PS3 gen. TPS? Uncharted and The Last of Us (especially the first TLOU), is much better than anything that MS could even hope to compete with. Multiplayer games? LOL. Service games? Mega lulz. Yeah, I sure hope that MS focuses on the later. They keep that up and the Series X will be their Dreamcast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom