• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know CES is not really a gaming show but I'd love to see Sony and MS have a few announcements. Some more details on Project Morpheus would be great.

Microsoft hasn't been involved heavily with CES for at least two years now. I think Sony will be moving most of their gaming stuff to Playstation Experience.

Much like E3 CES is slowly dying in regards to being the place for exciting announcements, but will still exist because it's essential to the industry. Mobile, sans Apple and Google, is basically moving to holding stuff at MWC. Microsoft is also now holding their own dev summits.

The idea of one-stop conference programs is slowly fading. Think about it: What was the last 'HOLY SHIT' moment of CES?

Raistlin

Legit looking forward to this. Will be checking out CNET, Engadget, and TheVerge Youtube channels daily. I'm keeping a eye out for more web connected devices for smart homes or better cohesion from hubs/ecosystems like smartthings and Nest. Also interested in tvs, A/V receivers, and soundbars.
Should be a good CES for you. While I'm not expecting any major breakthroughs with soundbars, you can expect a lot on the other items.

For smart home stuff, I'm looking forward to see where Harmony is headed. If they can expand on the I/O for other com types, they're recent foray may be the real deal.

For receivers, we can look forward to full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, hopefully along with better Atmos handling (angle measurements) and DTS's object-based processing.

And obviously with TVs, we're looking at 4K with support for more of UHD's features (wider gamuts, deep color, HDR, etc) in both OLED to some extent, and quantum dot LCD.

Should be an exciting show for A/V and automation enthusiasts.

Raistlin

Microsoft hasn't been involved heavily with CES for at least two years now. I think Sony will be moving most of their gaming stuff to Playstation Experience.

Much like E3 CES is slowly dying in regards to being the place for exciting announcements, but will still exist because it's essential to the industry. Mobile, sans Apple and Google, is basically moving to holding stuff at MWC. Microsoft is also now holding their own dev summits.

The idea of one-stop conference programs is slowly fading. Think about it: What was the last 'HOLY SHIT' moment of CES?
With MS essentially killing off Windows Media Center, and now moving/firing all the executives involved with the non-gaming aspects of XBone ... they really have zero reason to be there unless there's some unexpected new endeavor involving Windows 10 and media.

I doubt it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang that time already hoping for some good stuff

Phoenix

I always laugh at the timing of this show. It's like the ultimate fuck you for people who JUST spent a lot of time and money buying last years model for Christmas.

Looking forward to a new receiver that will cover the recent spec changes so timing should be good. My onkyo 705 did a great job all these years but it's quite behind in tech now.

Looking for the flat LG oled 65inch models that already leaked. Price should, be within 5k ish which is what paid for my Kuro 151 back in the (best HT purchase ever!)

Once those two are covered then I'll be motivated to upgrade my 5.1 paradigm monitors with something more HT focused.

-SD-

Banned
JKEb5Zq.png

Live webcast from NVIDIA's press event on Sunday, 8:00pm PST.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2015.html

CNET streams page: http://live.cnet.com/#AllEvents

LordK

Yeah looking at the supposed leaks, I'm interested in the 65 inch flat 4k oled's price now. I'd also like to see what the 77 inch is priced at.

I always laugh at the timing of this show. It's like the ultimate fuck you for people who JUST spent a lot of time and money buying last years model for Christmas.

Don't matter. You won't see most of the shit from the show for a year or more anyways.

G0523

I'm going for my first time and I'm not really sure what to expect. I am excited though! I imagine it'll just be so cool looking at all of the products before they're released (and out of my budget anyway). Headed out to Vegas on Monday and staying till Friday.

I hope at least one aftermarket car stereo with Android Auto is shown. I've been holding out for an Android compatible stereo for too long.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Regular folk aren't allowed in, right? I would love to go.

It is open to everyone, and it's free to get in if you register early enough. Monday's the only day that is closed to the public. Even the keynotes are open to anyone that gets there soon enough.

I'm going myself this year. It being in Vegas makes it easy to simply plan a normal vacation around it.

Sobriquet

It is open to everyone, and it's free to get in if you register early enough. Monday's the only day that is closed to the public. Even the keynotes are open to anyone that gets there soon enough.

I'm going myself this year. It being in Vegas makes it easy to simply plan a normal vacation around it.

Ah, that's great to hear, thanks. I couldn't find anything about public registration on the site. I'll take another look.

Ah, that's great to hear, thanks. I couldn't find anything about public registration on the site. I'll take another look.

That's not exactly true. It's open to anyone in the consumer electronics industry. If you know someone who can legitimately claim that (for example, a salesperson at a non-big chain store or an installer), it's fairly easy to fake it, but without that you basically have to run your own business and pretend that that's what it does. And if you wanted to try to get tickets now, I believe they cost something like $200.

giga

Isn't Broadwell just a slightly faster Haswell?

I thought Skylake was the next big innovation in CPUs, and coming out in 2015 as well.
A die shrink with a few new features, like VP8 decoding. Quite a boring update, especially after the disappointing Core M benchmarks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want some 8K TV sets. And Snapdragon 810 phones.

Looking forward to some TVs. Want to buy a new one this year sometime. My TV is too small for native optimized for 1080p content.

CrankyJay

Banned
Why are we loling at tech improvements? Particularly in a more price-competitive arena?

The fact both LG and Samsung are pursuing QD shows they aren't entirely convinced of OLED - at least not in the short or mid-term.

More like, why leave money on the table?

Sobriquet

That's not exactly true. It's open to anyone in the consumer electronics industry. If you know someone who can legitimately claim that (for example, a salesperson at a non-big chain store or an installer), it's fairly easy to fake it, but without that you basically have to run your own business and pretend that that's what it does. And if you wanted to try to get tickets now, I believe they cost something like $200.

Yeah, I looked on the website for civilian passes again but couldn't find anything. Thanks for the clarification.

Raistlin

Don't most people only pay $500-$600 for their TV's? For them $1500 isn't affordable.
If you take the average of all TVs sold? Then maybe, but that includes not only the people who will only pay that for a TV, but also the people that are buying secondary/tertiary TVs. Certainly in the US, many households have multiple TV's.

If you are talking about only peoples' primary set (typically the living room), I'm pretty sure the analytics point to a higher average. People have accepted a higher price-point versus the CRT days due to the significantly larger sizing.

More like, why leave money on the table?
If there isn't a demonstrable improvement, I don't see how they'd recoup the up front R&D. Sure QD doesn't require the sort of outlay as OLED (that's part of the point), but there's still money involved.

Without an objective improvement, they'd be better served simply continuing their traditional LCD tech.

I want more OLED TV's to show. I'm dying for a new TV but I want a true upgrade. Not obsolete 2014 models. Hopefully Sony shows something affordable. I would buy TV's from everyone else but Sony has the best TV's with low lag input latency so I have no choice but to go with them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Probably won't happen but it would be neat if a new Senn drove down prices on other models

how much money do you think people have, lol
For a person or family with decent income and jobs it is absolutely affordable. The type of person to balk at $3000, but see $1500 as a much more attractive price point to buy something nice for their home. Do you expect quality sets to be affordable to people at poverty level or something?

Akira

Sony already released a Quantum Dot TV a couple of years ago in the form of Triluminous. Now Samsung and LG will again reap the benefits for their new "innovation."

Raistlin

Sony already released a Quantum Dot TV a couple of years ago in the form of Triluminous. Now Samsung and LG will again reap the benefits for their new "innovation."
What else is new. They're the Microsoft of CE's lately. Innovative tech ideas that are too early ... then miss the boat when the timing is right for several reasons.

The reason QD makes sense now though is because there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of content that takes advantage of it. My hope is that Sony has matured theirs sufficiently so it's competitive with LG/Sammy in performance and pricing. And obviously they damn well better advertise the hell out of it being QD now that it's the buzzword / 'in' tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom