• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

Sony already released a Quantum Dot TV a couple of years ago in the form of Triluminous. Now Samsung and LG will again reap the benefits for their new "innovation."

Sony deserves to be so much more successful than they are in the TV business. Especially among gamers.

Raistlin

Sony deserves to be so much more successful than they are in the TV business. Especially among gamers.
Mindshare cuts both ways, and tends to lag.

For a while they were still doing well in TV's despite being priced poorly versus competition. That eventually caught up to them ... now we're seeing the opposite. They are making a lot more compelling products, but people seem to assume the worst.

Hopefully their sales eventually catch up to their tech, but I have a bad suspicion they'll be spun off before that can occur. It's funny, they're actually starting to have a nice resurgence in the A/V market too. Some pretty good receivers and sound bars versus the competition (not to mention high-end stuff like 4K media servers). Not sure the sales are reflecting it there either though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
?

Seems like everything else on these what to expect lists is a better version/representation of something that exists and has been buzzing for the past year whereas standardizing OSs for cars and opening up that market is much more fresh, a big deal, and something big players will be playing in.

Raistlin

?

Seems like everything else on these what to expect lists is a better version/representation of something that exists and has been buzzing for the past year whereas standardizing OSs for cars and opening up that market is much more fresh, a big deal, and something big players will be playing in.
I'm not saying car integration won't be a big deal, but your implication that it is 'the' big deal, and that everything else is just better representations of previous items is pretty reductionist.

Arguably the biggest news will be UHD. Yes, we have '4k' displays, but they've essentially just been higher resolution 1080p panels. They don't really have the capability to take advantage of the non-resolution aspects of Rec 2020. The big thing here though is we are seeing a coalescence of everything coming together at once. Full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 will be in mainstream fabrication. We will have a media format that can take advantage of both the resolution, color, and HDR (BD 4K). ATSC 3.0 will be finalized this year. Satellite and cable operators will be divulging UHD plans, and some will even begin broadcasts this year. Even the audio side is coming together as Atmos processing will get out of beta (angle calculations) and DTS will have their object-based surround processing in fabrication.

From a industry standpoint, at worst, this is nearly the deal HDTV was back in the day. At best, it makes for a much bigger single CES for them since we never saw all the aspects of the pipeline coming together simultaneously. The original HDTV movement was kind of a clusterfuck. CE's, broadcasters, chip-manufacturers, etc were not at all in lock-step. It took years to get things on the same page. Remember the early days of HDMI?

Just to note, I do think the advances in car automation and connectivity is a big deal. However I could be equally reductionist. There already have been big players in it, including MS and blackberry, etc. They did have what could be considered standardized backends. And the functionality we're going to see arguably is just 'a better version/representation' of what several higher end cars already offer. Yes that is probably more of a stretch than arguing the same against TV's, but you get my point. One area of caution though is I'm not so sure saying 'standardizing OS's' is entirely applicable. It's more like we're seeing less numbers of them, much as we have in the set-top box market. There is a pretty big split between announced Android, iOS, Blackberry, and 'other' in the car industry. Again, I do think it's a big deal ... just not the be-all, end-all you seem to be implying.

Moreover, this is also discounting some other big moves. While home automation has technically been a thing for literally decades, this looks to be the year it really takes off. Much like your argument for cars, we are now finally seeing standardization. While not necessarily on an OS (though HomeKit, etc are making strides), what we are seeing is standardization on what I/O formats will continue moving forward, and an agnostic approach in controllers by supporting them all. That interconnectivity is the key here, and will make this a banner year for automation. When players like Harmony are making a big push into it, you know it's ready to take off.

CES by and large is boring as hell. Oh cool another laptop and monitor from HP. Look here, yet another Android phone from Sony. The exciting stuff, if there is any, is buried deep amongst the floodgate of boring crap.

Car audio stuff will probably get more attention this year than previous due Android Auto and Carplay but as stated, they're not anything WOW when you consider QNX.

If there is one area I think that will blow up this year it will be home automation stuff. It's going to be like 2013 for Fitness trackers and bluetooth devices.

Servbot24

Banned
For a person or family with decent income and jobs it is absolutely affordable. The type of person to balk at $3000, but see $1500 as a much more attractive price point to buy something nice for their home. Do you expect quality sets to be affordable to people at poverty level or something?

I don't expect anything. The original post was hoping for affordable prices, and for us common folk $1500 is definitely a big stretch for a television. Most people spend $200-500 (would be my estimation). I'm sure it's a very affordable price for people making six figures or whatever but that was never in question.

I don't expect anything. The original post was hoping for affordable prices, and for us common folk $1500 is definitely a big stretch for a television. Most people spend $200-500 (would be my estimation). I'm sure it's a very affordable price for people making six figures or whatever but that was never in question.

I think you're under estimating what people spend on TVs. $500-700 is considered affordable by most TV standards (based on reviews) and I tend to agree with that.

Sobriquet

It's hard to get figures on this, but the last info I could find is that the average price of a purchased TV is around $1200. That's from 2012. I would've guessed $1000.

Ettie

Come on, affordable 21:9 monitors!

Do the CES announcements usually create price cuts on the TV's that are already for sale? I'd like to snag a new TV, but I'd be pissed if I bought one and it got a nice CES/Super Bowl sale in mid-January.

Come on, affordable 21:9 monitors!

Do the CES announcements usually create price cuts on the TV's that are already for sale? I'd like to snag a new TV, but I'd be pissed if I bought one and it got a nice CES/Super Bowl sale in mid-January.

Price cuts should be happening already if they haven't. Most of those super bowl sales are junk btw.

Ettie

Price cuts should be happening already if they haven't. Most of those super bowl sales are junk btw.

Hmmm, no movement on the one I'm hoping for since 12/10.... Hope they cut it before the 2015 models arrive in stores. (I'm trying to get a 2014 70in Vizio E series for a song, btw)

Dead

well not really...yet
If it takes making 6 figures for someone to afford a $1500 TV, there is some serious money mismanagement going on.

MrJames

Schedule for keynotes. All times Pacific.

Sunday
Nvidia 8-9:30PM

Monday
LG 8-8:45AM
Sharp 9-9:45AM
Panasonic 10-10:45AM
Samsung 2-2:45PM
Sony 5-5:45PM

Raistlin

Got any data to back that up?

Also lol at needing 6 figures.

Raistlin

Heres hoping some other androidtv boxes get announced.

4k BluRay news would be appreciated.
Before hoping for more AndroidTV boxes, we should hope for Google to actually take the platform out of beta.

It is lagging pretty far behind AmazonTV in most ways.

Dio

Banned
Here's hoping to see the M9. Gonna replace my current several year old phone.

If the rumors are correct, it's coming out next week.

CrankyJay

Banned
If there isn't a demonstrable improvement, I don't see how they'd recoup the up front R&D. Sure QD doesn't require the sort of outlay as OLED (that's part of the point), but there's still money involved.

Without an objective improvement, they'd be better served simply continuing their traditional LCD tech.

It looks like both Samsung and LG disagree with this assessment.

Here's hoping to see the M9. Gonna replace my current several year old phone.

If the rumors are correct, it's coming out next week.

This is false. HTC will most definitely announce the HTC One successor either in their own event or at MWC. The former is more likely.

Quasar

Before hoping for more AndroidTV boxes, we should hope for Google to actually take the platform out of beta.

It is lagging pretty far behind AmazonTV in most ways.

Given we'll be seeing it in tvs this year I imagine that is true.

As for amazontv, it has the amazon taint so I would not touch it.

Servbot24

Banned
It's hard to get figures on this, but the last info I could find is that the average price of a purchased TV is around $1200. That's from 2012. I would've guessed $1000.

Well huh, my mistake then. No idea people spent that much. Seems absurd to me to spend that much but I guess it's worth it to people.

Raistlin

Given we'll be seeing it in tvs this year I imagine that is true.
Didn't stop them with GoogleTV lol
eh, I guess. Doesn't change that it's awesome though. Best ARM hardware from a big vendor, nice price, side loading, voice control ...

Been using it more and more versus my Roku. Plan to finally not be lazy and root it one of these weekends.

Quasar

Didn't stop them with GoogleTV lol

Isnt It just lollypop with a different interface anyway?

eh, I guess. Doesn't change that it's awesome though. Best ARM hardware from a big vendor, nice price, side loading, voice control ...

Been using it more and more versus my Roku. Plan to finally not be lazy and root it one of these weekends.

I mostly just use chromecast. I mostly just want the same functionality but with ethernet and better codec/higher bitrate support.

Raistlin

Isnt It just lollypop with a different interface anyway?
GoogleTV was also using a then-current Android kernel. Apparently it's not as simple as just skinning it, since in both cases they were kind of mess versus their phone/tablet counterpart. That said I think they'll get there this time, since worse comes to worse ... they can just ape FireTV design ideas and features. Plus the apps should essentially be cross-platform between the two.

I mostly just use chromecast. I mostly just want the same functionality but with ethernet and better codec/higher bitrate support.
I tried to like chromecast, but just can't get past the lack of a remote. There's too many times where I either want to quickly pause or do a replay. But if you like Chromecast, I can see a GoogleTV being what you want given the better casting handling.

Quasar

GoogleTV was also using a then-current Android kernel. Apparently it's not as simple as just skinning it, since in both cases they were kind of mess versus their phone/tablet counterpart. That said I think they'll get there this time, since worse comes to worse ... they can just ape FireTV design ideas and features. Plus the apps should essentially be cross-platform between the two.

Well googletv had all the passthru business that was messy and probably what killed it, or rather the tv industry reaction.

I tried to like chromecast, but just can't get past the lack of a remote. There's too many times where I either want to quickly pause or do a replay. But if you like Chromecast, I can see a GoogleTV being what you want given the better casting handling.

Whilst I'm fine without a remote, having one would be nice. Ditto the on screen interface.

Raistlin

Well googletv had all the passthru business that was messy and probably what killed it, or rather the tv industry reaction.
The passthru has probably its best feature though :p

What killed it (beyond it being buggy and slow as ass for most of its existence) is that their main goal was to do direct web content. You were accessing most everything via a browser.

But then the providers started blocking a lot of the good content, and they didn't have a real app library to compensate. The competition had better app libraries, UI's, and performance. And even what was arguably GoogleTV's key feature - search - ended up being okay on stuff like Roku and FireTV.

It's cool they tried to do a different take on a set-top box (I have a Logitech Revue), but it really didn't work out. A traditional app model is better. Unfortunately they're late to the party though and have some clean up work.

Whilst I'm fine without a remote, having one would be nice. Ditto the on screen interface.
Yeah def. And if you are heavily in the GooglePlay ecosystem, then either Roku or a AndroidTV makes sense.

Quasar

Yeah def. And if you are heavily in the GooglePlay ecosystem, then either Roku or a AndroidTV makes sense.

I wouldn't say I'm heavily in the play ecosystem, but It seems the most preferable given its multiplatform nature. Though even they aren't perfect (windows?). I just don't want to be locked into certain hardware otherwise I might as well go Apple. It still hasn't really sorted itself out, which is why when I buy I still go for physical media.

Raistlin

I wouldn't say I'm heavily in the play ecosystem, but It seems the most preferable given its multiplatform nature. Though even they aren't perfect (windows?). I just don't want to be locked into certain hardware otherwise I might as well go Apple. It still hasn't really sorted itself out, which is why when I buy I still go for physical media.

I'll quote a post I made in another thread recently ...

At this point, I think Vudu is still the best overall option:

• Largest HD selection. Or at least it used to. If not currently, it's still one of the largest
  • HDX - While other services are finally catching up, on average it still has the best encodes full stop.
  • Competitive prices
  • Is available practically everywhere - TV's, BD players, set-top boxes, PC, consoles. Probably second to only Netflix in that regard. About as play anywhere as any service.
  • Disc to Digital - On your PC or at Walmart stores, can get a digital copy upgrade for a reasonable fee of your existing DVDs or BDs (including HD from your DVD).
  • InstaView - When you buy qualifying DVDs and Blu-rays at Walmart or on Walmart.com, they'll automatically add it to your Vudu account. Think of it like Amazon's AutoRip for CDs.
  • Vudu To Go - You can download movies/TV on several devices including PC, mobile devices, consoles, etc.
  • Supports UltraViolet
  • Support Disney Movies Anywhere
  • Lots of sales

Been using it for years, and still haven't seen a reason to move (and I've tested basically all services).

Wiktor

Hoping for some new/upgraded Thinkpad convertible, as I'm planning to buy a new laptop this year. New Thinkpad Yoga would be nice, but I'm hoping the most for return of swivel hybrid style. Not likely though :(

-SD-

Banned
Instead of resolution race I think the industry should focus on getting everything to be 60Hz/60fps, minimum. No more 24/30/48fps etc. anywhere.

Renzoku

Banned
Holy shit at broadwell running cool enough not to require any fans.

Laptops in 2015 won't have a single moving part. That's amazing.

Dryk

Here's hoping. My current laptop's cooling system takes less time to start running hot and loud every time I try to clear the dust out of the vents. There must be build up somewhere I can't reach but damned if I can clean it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Other than Chromebooks, it should have happened earlier. We have had tablets for years.

I don't think a lot of people really understand why TV manufacturers are interested in Quantum Dots.

I'll give you a hint: LG's OLED technology utilizes color filters over white OLEDs. This is actually what is going on inside LCD TVs, the backlight is white and the liquid crystals have a color filter which blocks light except for red, green, and blue.

Neither approach can provide a wide enough color gamut to meet the requirements of Rec.2020, which is wider than even DCI P3 that is used to produce movies today. You can't just have a 10-bit LCD panel, you need a better way of managing color reproduction than color filters over a white backlight. You also can't just have an OLED panel with white OLEDs with color filters.

The only way to meet the requirements of Rec.2020 is to improve how the colors are produced. Samsung's RGB OLED technology could meet Rec.2020. LG's OLED technology as it exists today cannot, nor can any existing LCD technology.

Enter Quantum Dots. The QD overlay over the panel or the backlight assembly improves the ability to reproduce red, green, and blue over just straight up color filters over white light. With QD, it is possible for existing LCD panels today to meet Rec.2020. And yes, if LG chooses to use it in the OLED TVs, they will be able to meet Rec.2020 with their existing OLED technique which utilizes white OLEDs instead of RGB OLEDs.

Until Samsung re-enters the OLED market with their RGB OLED TV designs, QD technology will be required on all existing TV designs to meet Rec.2020.

As a side note, the people shitting on existing 4K LCD TVs for not being able to meet Rec.2020 are quite hilarious because they are ignoring the fact that all 4K OLEDs right now also cannot meet Rec.2020. OLED is the saviour of nothing here, if you're going to bash 4K LCD for just being "higher resolution 1080p panels" you'd better start including the existing 4K OLEDs in that categorization. They cannot meet Rec.2020 color gamut either. Neither can without QD.

If anybody cares to see exactly what Quantum Dots actually do, they can look at this:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...in-lg-s-2015-uhdtv-lineup-4.html#post30057970

Someone actually measured the native color gamut of a TV with QD, the 2013 Sony X900A. Sony didn't bother with QD in 2014 on the X900B. You can see the difference in native color gamut in that diagram of the gamuts of those two TVs vs. Rec.709, DCI P3, and Rec.2020.

Both the X900A and X900B use 10-bit LCD panels. You can see that a 10-bit panel by itself isn't nearly enough for coverage of DCI P3 or Rec.2020. This is because color filters over white light just isn't good enough, you need to improve the quality of the light produced and ideally separate it into pure R, G, and B. LG's white OLEDs have exactly the same problem.

The Sony X900A had a somewhat wonky looking coverage of the color space, you can see that while it's noticeably wider than Rec.709 it manages to miss a portion of that gamut's green color space. Proper design and implementation of QD will be important to properly cover the intended color space, but even this first-generation QD design, were it better calibrated, would have been plenty wide enough to have covered DCI P3. A better QD implementation should have no issues fully covering DCI P3, it remains to be seen just how close to coverage of the extremely wide Rec.2020 color space QD technology can get.

Maybe some of us don't want that Google taint ;)

I'll quote a post I made in another thread recently ...

At this point, I think Vudu is still the best overall option:

Holy shit, thank you! No one believes me when I say how good Vudu is. I've had people laugh at me over the argument. Even though it's owned by Walmart it's a really well done service with exceptional quality, far better than Netflix. My only wish is that it offered a block subscription of say 5, 10, 15 movies a month for X dollars.

Hoping for some new/upgraded Thinkpad convertible, as I'm planning to buy a new laptop this year. New Thinkpad Yoga would be nice, but I'm hoping the most for return of swivel hybrid style. Not likely though :(

This is will most definitely happen. CES is when every laptop OEM shows off their top lines so expect a new Yoga and Carbon model. Unfortunately I doubt the swivel will ever come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom