• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV is the fastest selling Blizzard Game of All Time

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I feel Blizzard has always given us a good bang for our buck...

Wish skins were more in tune with Fortnite prices though... It's rough paying the located in Irvine California rates.

But why would you buy skins anyway? Its on you if you want to buy the skins. There is a ton of armor in the game that looks good and you can transmog immediately.

Fabieter

I feel Blizzard has always given us a good bang for our buck...

Wish skins were more in tune with Fortnite prices though... It's rough paying the located in Irvine California rates.

My problem with Blizzard is rather that they fuck up good products somehow more often than not these days.

Comandr

I mean, it’s really good. Unlocked world tier 3 last night and having a fucking blast. There are so many fun elements in play and events to take part in. Stoked for the eventual expansion.

amigastar

But why would you buy skins anyway? Its on you if you want to buy the skins. There is a ton of armor in the game that looks good and you can transmog immediately.
That's true, the armor really does look good. Especially from the near, it looks incredible.

I consider the game to have launched last week, but still respect the success. And I say it is well deserved. I've had a couple instances of rubber banding (each lasting only a couple minutes), but otherwise this game has been as addictive as nicotine since early access began for me. I did not expect any game to give Hogwarts or Redfall a competitor for GOTY before the fall at the earliest, but right now this game is absolutely my favorite game of the year so far.
Lol you're not giving me a lot of confidence in your opinion here...

j.k.2021

Banned
Diablo immortal was also a big critical and financial success.The only people hating on it were pc/console players and Youtubers farming for hate clicks.Meanwhile, Mobile players love it and the game was created for them.

31c71f474820b33fbb26d9ea06b0eeb15c7fa90e4d4981822a463a0c61a127a3.png

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's a great dark fantasy game and every class is unique(alongside their own mechanics for each) and has it's own build diversity and the content to plow through is huge. Big map with instanced dungeon zones and has a ominous atmosphere. If you are a BERSERK fan then this game is probably for you. If you don't like the bleak setting you probably won't enjoy it that much.

This game and Zelda will keep me occupied for a while.

It has some light MMO elements and all it's shop items are just cosmetics and do not give you an advantage in any way.

Maybe seasons will change things but so far it's a very complete game.

I wager we will see 1 or 2 expansions with a new class or two given D2 and D3 going down that path so I see quite a bit of longevity.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
D4 has been the only good game that Blizzard has released in the past decade. I wouldn't say that is 'Turning blizzard around".
???? Diablo 2 Resurrected is a banger. WoW expansions have been hit or miss last decade. Overwatch one came out in 2019. Hearthstone in 2014.

This decade has been good eats.

Would I love a new mmo and StarCraft 3? Sure.

Are Warcraft 3 reforged , shadowlands, and overwatch 2 turds ? Yes.

Is the company likely still filled with corrupt and shitty people ? Probably.

Don’t let your hate boner blind you that Blizzard in the last 10 years has still been on fire. They just finally had some stinkers.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not true.Overwatch 2 had a big positive launch.World of Warcraft has seen a big resurgence.Diablo immortal was a big financial and critical success.Good news all around for Blizzard.

Overwatch 2 is hated by the community, OVerwatch 1 died quickly aside from a small die hard audience with sunk cost fallacy, and no - WoW has not had a "resurgence". Its still as shit as it has been since WoD.

It's crazy! I gave up checking out anything about this game after all the mishaps Blizzard has had lately. Then I saw some early impressions and remembered people saying D3 swayed away from D2 in certain ways and was intrigued again. My gosh, I have had a blast this past weekend. Also, everyone was right. The art style in 4 stomps on 3 in all the right ways. I'm having a blast and bought the deluxe blindly and have no regrets.

I do hope the someone incorporate an offline mode or fix the servers pronto. I got disconnected from the server mid quest and had to start it over and it put a bad taste in my mouth.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
???? Diablo 2 Resurrected is a banger. WoW expansions have been hit or miss last decade. Overwatch one came out in 2019. Hearthstone in 2014.

This decade has been good eats.

Would I love a new mmo and StarCraft 3? Sure.

Are Warcraft 3 reforged , shadowlands, and overwatch 2 turds ? Yes.

Is the company likely still filled with corrupt and shitty people ? Probably.

Don’t let your hate boner blind you that Blizzard in the last 10 years has still been on fire. They just finally had some stinkers.

D2R is just a remaster with a special skin put on top.

Overwatch is trash and died, quickly. The only time it got news was when the shitty OWL league and Blizz banned the universal OK hand gesture or when they used it as a scapegoat to dismiss criticism by announcing another one of their hcaracters are gay.

Hearthstone is a pay to win shitfest.

Every expansion for WoW has been getting worse and worse since MOP. Not a single one has been a "hit". If they were, we would have seen steady growth instead of continued decredase in total players. A healthy WoW would not get rid of the faction mechanic and allow horde/alliance to work together in guilds and raids.

Also I find it hilarious that you convienently left out Warcraff 3 Reforged.

They have been mostly shit with one, single win in D4 in the past 10 years. Don't let your blind fanboyism of the company blind you.

Blizzard is back, and all they had to do was get rid of those EverQuest players they hired when making WoW who were just PR bros for overwatch. Amazing
These EQ players were hired for endgame content in WoW and they did an excellent job. They went and got the most hardcore raiding players to help them build raid mechanics and it was excellent.

Laieon

we would have seen steady growth instead of continued decredase in total players.

I don't agree at all. At this point WoW is almost 20 and the traditional MMO genre as-a-whole just isn't as popular as it was in its hayday.
Overall consumer interests aren't aligned with what WoW (and FF:XVI and similar games) did or are doing and the market has moved on, and I think it's completely unrealistic to expect constant, steady growth for 20 years. Maybe the traditional fetch-quest style MMO will have a renaissance at some point (like what we've seen with Ensemble's RTS games in recent years - especially AoE II) and WoW will grow again because the demand is there - who knows.

Growth and sales doesn't necessarily equate to quality - Shadowlands is or was at one point the best selling PC game of all time, yet was nowhere near as enjoyable to many of us who are actually still playing the game as Dragonflight is.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't agree at all. At this point WoW is almost 20 and the traditional MMO genre as-a-whole just isn't as popular as it was in its hayday.
Overall consumer interests aren't aligned with what WoW (and FF:XVI and similar games) did or are doing and the market has moved on, and I think it's completely unrealistic to expect constant, steady growth for 20 years. Maybe the traditional fetch-quest style MMO will have a renaissance at some point (like what we've seen with Ensemble's RTS games in recent years - especially AoE II) and WoW will grow again because the demand is there - who knows.

Growth and sales doesn't necessarily equate to quality - Shadowlands is or was at one point the best selling PC game of all time, yet was nowhere near as enjoyable to many of us who are actually still playing the game as Dragonflight is.

Shadowlands is as shit as Dragonflight. Played both, raided in both. Got Mythic raids completed and earned AoTC in both. Its shit.

FFXIV continues to grow, even accounting the slump of post expansion launch. Its been around for 10 years now. WoW could continue to grow, but it doesn't. It stagnates, it loses players, its devs fail to understand what makes WoW so great and while Dragonflight is a step in the right direction, it still has the length of The Shire to Mordor to go to reach the quality of even 10 years prior.

Laieon

Shadowlands is as shit as Dragonflight.

Haha, no. Dragonflight is fucking incredible.

I do agree with you that Pandaria was the last masterpiece-tier expansion though.

I don't like XIV at all. I've tried it numerous times over the years and I think think it's ridiculously bland, but the only FF game I've ever enjoyed is whatever one had Vaan, so... different strokes for different folks my guy.

Last edited:
The game is fantastic and an absolute GOTY contender *but* the server lags that consistently pop up are absolutely unacceptable. If you're not going to allow offline play you best make sure you have the infrastructure to allow smooth play sessions every single time. Last night there was a good 90 minutes of server lag during my session, got a boss down to a sliver of health and died due to lag teleporting all over the fucking place.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Wait…..what?

“Fastest selling based on more units sold on all platforms before launch”

Sooooo…congrats on your paid beta launch?
Am I supposed to be remotely impressed by this? I am in fact disappointed, once again, in gamers for buying into a beta.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
D2R is just a remaster with a special skin put on top.

Overwatch is trash and died, quickly. The only time it got news was when the shitty OWL league and Blizz banned the universal OK hand gesture or when they used it as a scapegoat to dismiss criticism by announcing another one of their hcaracters are gay.

Hearthstone is a pay to win shitfest.

Every expansion for WoW has been getting worse and worse since MOP. Not a single one has been a "hit". If they were, we would have seen steady growth instead of continued decredase in total players. A healthy WoW would not get rid of the faction mechanic and allow horde/alliance to work together in guilds and raids.

Also I find it hilarious that you convienently left out Warcraff 3 Reforged.

They have been mostly shit with one, single win in D4 in the past 10 years. Don't let your blind fanboyism of the company blind you.

I didn’t leave out Warcraft 3 reforged ? It’s in my post?

Playerbase for WoW had gone up. With classic and dragon flight easily. Did you dismiss Legion as well ? You are writing your own delusional narrative to fit your shit rage agenda.

It’s cool to not like Blizz. Idgaf.

You can easily screw up a remaster like many other companies have . D2R is a big win.

Overwatch is dead meme has existed since week one of its launch, yet it continues to have a healthy AF playerbase and continuous content. OW2 is a huge L though as mentioned above. Idk what you’re on about.

Hearthstone still retains relevancy to this day as top tier card game. Yeah it’s monetized hard but so is MTGA or YuGiOh. Why do wizards of the coast get a pass? Lol come on.

My “fanboyism” seems more like rational objective points. You on the other hand seem fueled by passion alone without any sound reasoning.

GenericUser

Diablo immortal was also a big critical and financial success.The only people hating on it were pc/console players and Youtubers farming for hate clicks.Meanwhile, Mobile players love it and the game was created for them.

31c71f474820b33fbb26d9ea06b0eeb15c7fa90e4d4981822a463a0c61a127a3.png
I mean, for mobile standards, it IS a damn good arpg. That's not saying much though, but a fact is a fact.

people love these kinds of games, easy to play, nearly no dexterity requirements, sit back and watch numbers go up. Even your mom can play!
yeah, it's super tight :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Nydius

I’ve squandered my early access time because I was burned out from gaming in general after all the time I spent playing Zelda but what little I’ve played of Diablo 4 has been absolutely fantastic. I understand those who have reservations about the microtransactions and cash shop, but I‘d say this sales accolade is well deserved.

GymWolf

The game is fantastic and an absolute GOTY contender *but* the server lags that consistently pop up are absolutely unacceptable. If you're not going to allow offline play you best make sure you have the infrastructure to allow smooth play sessions every single time. Last night there was a good 90 minutes of server lag during my session, got a boss down to a sliver of health and died due to lag teleporting all over the fucking place.
Yep, last night was pretty bad lag wise.

GymWolf

people love these kinds of games, easy to play, nearly no dexterity requirements, sit back and watch numbers go up. Even your mom can play!
This one is more action-y, on veteran mode if you stay still you can die, you have to chose when and where to dodge carefully.

ProtoByte

Buying finished, polished game with fuckton of content is not a sin. Buying unfinished shit on day on the other hand... *looking at recent releases like jedi survivor*
By buying good games that look and run great?

200w.gif
It's just that the way core gamers have talked about Blizzard for the last decade, you'd think there'd be a lot less enthusiasm to jump in so early. Before you consider the always online and the battle pass/inevitable MTX ramp-ups that people selectively get angry about.

Yes, the game had a beta and early reviews, but a good round if the former doesn't always mean the full product is as good, and gamers swear up and down that they don't care about the views or scores from critics in the latter.

Top Bottom